Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Species Nesira Plant

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noire Vanya Tal

N
Planter-Glowing-Cave-Fern_thumb.png

OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
  • Intent: To showcase the ongoing PharmaTech Botanical expansion on endangered and extinct species.
  • Image Credit: Tor Fashion
  • Canon: N/A
  • Links: N/A
GENERAL INFORMATION
  • Name: Nesira
  • Homeworld: Dagobah, Felucia
  • Other Locations: Enhanced version currently cultivated at The Eden Project Biodomes and Eden BioDome Stations
  • Classification: Fern
  • Average Growth Cycle: These are a long-lived species, taking typically ten years to mature. Enhanced by Morodin horticulturists, this has been sped up to five years. Specimens found in the wild have been found to be hundreds of years old. Properly tended by PharmaTech specializes in PharmaTech Biodomes, these specimens are expected to reach several hundred years of age.
  • Viability: Nesira reproduces by spores, fall in the mud and are carried away by animals or by floods. It is found in nitrogen- and phosphorus-poor environments. Purple spores require an intensely humid and moist environment, much like those found in swampy conditions. Requires highly regulated moon cycles for growth. Successfully growing these specialized plants requires recreating a close approximation to the plant's natural habitat. Harvested spores and gas retain their qualities for up to seven days in the wild, but collected in specialized containers that make them dormant, indefinitely until activated at release.
  • Description:
  • Nesira is a typically a long-lived bioluminescent shrub known to live in swampy and highly toxic areas. It has broad shaped leaves with large pores on the top and bottom. Able to distribute neurotoxin neutralizing spores and heavy fruiting bulbs emit a powerful neurotoxin neutralizing gas. Edges of leaves and stamens produce blue bioluminescence. The enhanced plant produces natural spores and a gas with akin to a biochemical agent that neutralizes toxins in the air around it, allowing it to purify its surrounding atmosphere to maintain its health. It does so with a quick, mutating adaptability akin to SmarTranq Technology.
PHYSICAL INFORMATION
  • Average height: 1 meter
  • Average length: 1 meter
  • Color: Dark forest green with blue bioluminescence.
  • Nutritional Value: High in Vitamin C.
  • Distinctions: Broad shaped leaves with large pores on the top and bottom. Able to distribute neurotoxin neutralizing spores and heavy fruiting bulbs emit a powerful neurotoxin neutralizing gas. Edges of leaves and stamens produce blue bioluminescence.
  • Strengths:
    The enhanced plant produces natural spores and a gas with akin to a biochemical agent that neutralizes toxins in the air around it, allowing it to purify its surrounding atmosphere to maintain its health. It does so with a quick, mutating adaptability akin to SmarTranq Technology.

[*]Weaknesses:
  • Climate control: The Nesira healing plant is very delicate, requiring a temperature regulated 'clean' environment so as to ensure it's viability. A single frost and it can kill the plant.
  • Transport carefully: It due to its temperature regulated requirements, it makes transport of the plants outside of PharmaTech difficult without specialized containers to hold them in.

HISTORICAL INFORMATION

PharmaTech's Research and development team with the conception of the "Eden Project" have been sending scouts, researchers, and used it's vast resources under Arceneau Trade's Colagoramate's arsenal to go forth and try to find viable ways of perhaps bringing such rare or extinct species back. Various viable seeds were found encased in amber, carbonite, and under heavy permafrost. These seeds were untouched from the original contamination that had made them worthless. They also collected samples of the results of Baji's hard work. The Ho'Din healer would perhaps rest in the knowledge that his work had not been in vain.

Nesira is one example. It is typically a long-lived bioluminescent shrub known to live in swampy and highly toxic areas. It has broad shaped leaves with large pores on the top and bottom. Able to distribute neurotoxin neutralizing spores and heavy fruiting bulbs emit a powerful neurotoxin neutralizing gas. Edges of leaves and stamens produce blue bioluminescence.

Nesira reproduces by spores, fall in the mud and are carried away by animals or by swampy currents. It is found in nitrogen- and phosphorus-poor environments. Purple spores require an intensely humid and moist environment, much like those found in swampy conditions. Requires highly regulated moon cycles for growth. One of the most interesting aspects of these species of plants is that it can transfer information through electro chemical signals. These "electro-chemical signals" are carried by cells that act as "nerves" of the plants. It contains electrical, biochemical, and cellular components indicative of a neural network, albeit a relatively simple one. It is an adaptation used to neutralize the toxins in the air around it so that it may survive. This enhanced version is able to speed up the process that allows it to do so.

Successfully growing these specialized plants requires recreating a close approximation to the plant's natural habitat. Harvested spores and gas retain their qualities for up to seven days in the wild, but collected in specialized containers that make them dormant, indefinitely until activated at release.

These spores and gas were found to neutralizes toxins in the air around it, allowing it to purify its surrounding atmosphere to maintain its health. Under the research of the Eden Program, Morodin, Ho'din, and Ithorian horticulturalists and botanists worked alongside with cloning tech with Tai Fa Holdings and the Morodin's natural slime. The most distinctive feature of the Morodins was their ability to secrete a nutrient slime trail that promoted growth and mutation in plant life that it covered. The composition of the secretion varied with the Morodin's diet, and they were always experimenting with new combinations by eating plants, exuding the secretion to create a new, more nutritious, strain of flora which then entered their food chain. The results were a new species of Nesira Plants that were able to enhance the purifying of neurotoxins in the air with a quick, mutating adaptability akin to SmarTranq Technology.

Nesira has contractile roots which contract after growing into the earth. This pulls the stem of the plant deeper into the mud, so that the plant in effect grows downward, not upward. Each year, the plant grows deeper into the earth, so that older plants are practically impossible to dig up.

These are a long-lived species, taking typically ten years to mature. Enhanced by Morodin horticulturists, this has been sped up to five years. Specimens found in the wild have been found to be hundreds of years old. Properly tended by PharmaTech specializes in PharmaTech Biodomes, these specimens are expected to reach several hundred years of age.

However, the Nesira Plant is very delicate, requiring a temperature regulated 'clean' environment so as to ensure it's viability. A single frost and it can kill the plant. This also meant that due to its temperature regulated requirements, it makes transport of the plants outside of PharmaTech difficult without specialized containers to hold them, like the PharmaTech Flora transporter.

It is currently cultivated at The Eden Project Biodomes and Eden BioDome Stations.

Ashin Varanin

Professional Enabler
[member="Noire Vanya Tal"]

My only real hitch here: Something that's toxic to a person might not be toxic to an alien plant and vice versa. I wouldn't expect perfect overlap.

Noire Vanya Tal

N
Jasper Varanin said:
My only real hitch here: Something that's toxic to a person might not be toxic to an alien plant and vice versa. I wouldn't expect perfect overlap.
Forgive me, I'm a bit confused so just getting some clarity so I may understand. How does this pertain to my submission? My submission merely states that it is able to neutralize toxins in the air around it with the fast afinity at adapting quickly to what had been presented. I haven't mentioned anything about the plant having to deal with humans.

Ashin Varanin

Professional Enabler

I got that impression because a lot of your sub deals with neurotoxins and a pharmaceutical company, and plants don't have nervous systems. That's why I assumed you were talking about a plant that neutralized things that people would find toxic, and I think most casual readers would make that assumption too. If this plant only neutralizes things that would be toxic to the plant, can you please clarify that?

Noire Vanya Tal

N
[member="Jasper Varanin"]

Actually, I got the idea based on recent experiments with select species of plants that can transfer information through electro chemical signals. These "electro-chemical signals" are carried by cells that act as "nerves" of the plants. Bottom line: Though plants don’t have a nervous system like animals, plants do have the necessary electrical, biochemical, and cellular components indicative of a neural network, albeit a relatively simple one. In a High Sci Fantasy setting with such plant species as the Murakami Orchid, Oasis Mother, Baffor Tree, and the Vesuvague Tree, it seemed to be a reasonable idea that such a plant as the Nesira would exist with a similar simple nervous system: One that adapts itself to neutralize the toxins in the air around it so that it may survive. This enhanced version is able to speed up the process that allows it to do so.

Does that clarify the premise of the plant and it's current iteration?

http://www.bbc.com/news/10598926
starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Botanical_sentient_species

Noire Vanya Tal

N
[member="Ashin Karrde"]

Added this:

One of the most interesting aspects of these species of plants is that it can transfer information through electrochemical signals. These "electro-chemical signals" are carried by cells that act as "nerves" of the plants. It contains electrical, biochemical, and cellular components indicative of a neural network, albeit a relatively simple one. It is an adaptation used to neutralize the toxins in the air around it so that it may survive. This enhanced version is able to speed up the process that allows it to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom