Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Starship Narran Drake-Class Interdiction Gunship

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nyxie

【夢狐】
crowraptor.jpg

Image Source: EVE Online :: Remodeled "Condor" 3D Beta Model
Affiliation: Crystalsong Commonwealth, Ri'essi Union
Manufacturer: Ri'ess Regal Drives
Model: Narran Drake-Class
Modularity: None
Production: Minor Production
Material:
  • Armor: Adamithium
  • Spaceframe: Alusteel Alloy
  • Chassis: Titanium
  • Canopy: Glassteel
Classification: Heavy Interceptor
Length: 29 meters (31 meters for Shuttle)
Height: 15 meters
Width: 25 meters

Armament:

Squadron Count: 4

Special Features:
  • 6 RRDI RamDrive Engines (FAST Equivalent); 3x3 wing configuration
  • Deathbell-II Plasma Conduit Reactor

Maneuverability Rating: 4.0
Speed Rating: 2.0
Hyperdrive Class: 1.0

Strengths:
  • Fast and capable of thrust much greater than its weight
Weaknesses:
  • Low maneuverability, slow deceleration, large sensor trail

Description: The Narran-Class was named after the draconic, metamorphic species Narran on Crystalsong. It was originally designed as an interdiction fighter to intercept and eliminate high-speed threats from long range on an interception course (as a class of turbine jet fighter had on a smaller scale millennia before). Early in development engineers realized the prohibitively large size made the craft ideal as a gunship or heavy bomber, and began immediately developing the Narran-Class for both roles. The Intercept Fighter concept was not abandoned, however, and simply reserved as the last development of the project, being renamed to "Interdictor."
The Narran-Class Drake Model was intended for the role of heavy interceptor spacecraft/interdiction fighter. Its purpose includes tactical interdiction, high-speed fighter/bomber interception and minor air-to-air defense. To facilitate this specialized role, the standard fusial engines have been replaced with Ri'essi RamDrive ion engines utilizing technology similar in functionality to FAST, as well as the addition of two extra engines in total. The bay has forewent individual launchers for a deployable missile bay holding a mix of advanced and standard concussion warhead missiles to facilitate it's long-range role, also conserving weight and space. A single Type-A Oberon cannon is mounted in the nose for last measure.
  • 1 Pilot, 1 AMD
Development Thread: n/a
Intent: The Crystalsong Commonwealth needs solutions for its new military and the shuttles were just for fun.
Who Can Use This:

[member="Nyxie"]

Hello!

So, this is essentially a fast missile boat. I’m going to assume that the homing/powerful nature of advanced concussion missiles means they count as ~2 standard concussion missiles. In this manner this has an appropriate loadout to a gunship.

However, it’s ridiculously fast. Into interceptor territory.

I’m going to ask for the following please:

• Reduction of speed to 3.
  • A proposal for a weakness that balances out the ship’s enhanced speed
  • The description could really do with fleshing out. It needs a bit more on this specific model and its role in the theatre of war
Thank you!

Nyxie

【夢狐】
[member="Raziel"]
It has to be fast. It's useless to its role if it doesn't - it's an interceptor. It has pre-cap interceptor-grade armament and post-interceptor speed. It's just... big.

But as my perfect real-life example, so were the MiG-25 Foxbat and MiG-31 Foxhound, and they were big because they were designed to take out craft like the SR-71 Blackbird. It's a perfect example of how a larger-than-average fighter could be faster than an average fighter at the cost of being much less maneuverable and with greater deceleration gravity. It's not like I need to tell you what happens when a really big object is moving really fast in one direction in space.

They key difference between this and a typical intercept craft is that it has one less gun and two less warheads but twice the warhead potency (if the former standard was four per launcher, this is only six per launcher in equivalence). This makes it more or less a trade-off with the lack of a second gun. Not only that! But this is neither faster, certainly nor more maneuverable than an interceptor.

If anything, I should be getting buffs to this sub, but I'm not interested in one because I like realistic niche things.

It is with that that I must humbly insist that the speed remain (as per fair statistics) and that the equivalent weakness continue to be poodoo maneuverability.

I'm probably gonna take everything I just told you and formalize that into the description for ya to cover that request.

Edit: Actually, what I can do is take away the launchers entirely and replace them with a missile bay holding two advanced missiles and three standard missiles, or something odd like that.

[member="Nyxie"]

Please do expand on the description a lot and make clear the role.

Please remove references to modern fighter jets and keep it grounded in Star Wars (which is typically styled closest to WW2 battles)

As mentioned, I'm assuming a 2x modifier for "advanced concussion missiles" so the equivalent to 4 laser cannons each.

Nyxie

【夢狐】
Raziel said:
Please remove references to modern fighter jets and keep it grounded in Star Wars (which is typically styled closest to WW2 battles).
Here's the funny thing, I've had no problem doing that in the past and I was on one occasion told I could use real-life missiles as a base for making them here.

I am entirely scared to speak up for this because I know you're just itching to hit that Deny button... but that is complete opinion comparing it wholly to WWII. Star Wars is well above and beyond the technological state of WWII and it was because of that technological state that the battles carried out the way they did. There was no space, no counters to gravity, no changes to the laws of physics themselves.

But, since you want a WWII precedent, I'll use the Me-262, which was used to pick off bombers late in the war. I'm no military history doctor but I don't need to be to know that, Hitler's crap-strategy aside, the 262 was faster, harder, and had a higher ceiling than any propfighter or attack craft. Some even went so far as to mount 70mm cannons to the noses to fill out the same role the Foxbat of late and the Narran of current do.

"Modern" jets have followed that principle of range for the past fifty years.

[SIZE=13.63636302948px]TL;DR: X-Wings don't have propellors. They [/SIZE]do[SIZE=13.63636302948px] have missiles.[/SIZE]

The reason Star Wars space battles turn out as they do is because, unlike propellor nor turbine, starfighters have shields to absorb laser rounds and missile concussions. There are also thousands of them because there are potentially hundreds of planets to mine resources from and countless billions to enlist. The scale of warfare has gone up, but the scale of mankind and its peripherals in that field has not, thus to compensate, an abundance of them are used. The technology is well on par with modern fighters and in some cases even beyond, as the speed and maneuverability is greatly increased. In small confrontations, the concept of long-range interception and firing still applies and dogfights would be rare, certainly not protracted.

The role would be perfectly valid in the Star Wars setting, in fact perpetuated by the sci-fi-level technology.

Raziel said:
As mentioned, I'm assuming a 2x modifier for "advanced concussion missiles" so the equivalent to 4 laser cannons each.
Warheads were never counted individually. I cite the old guide, and any/every submission written under the old guide that has a launcher, as evidence. I believe the old interceptors had four per launcher, and one launcher counted as two cannons.
Scratch that, I didn't figure you meant for both launchers until I reread the post to edit something, lol.

Nyxie

【夢狐】
I've changed the launchers to a single bay (have been able to do that plenty of times before) containing two advances missiles and four standard missiles (old value of 8 total). This means it is on par with an interceptor now. Still not as fast as one either.

I put the wrong gun so I'll be changing that too, probably....

Still waiting on a hear-back to the speed/maneuverability ratio thing.

Oh, and working on the description now.

Edit: God, I hate typos and Mac keyboards. >_>

I'm not going to read a long piece if you're going to make out that I am some kind of panto villain. I simply wish to see the description of the role grounded in Star Wars and related to other vessels of the genre.

Thank you for your edits thus far.

What do you mean by:
Still waiting on a hear-back to the speed/maneuverability ratio thing.
?

Nyxie

【夢狐】
[member="Raziel"]
Sorry, that wasn't my intention. ;n;
I've just had bad experiences involving voicing an argument on a subject, being ultimately denied for it and having even worse experiences after having them second-chanced.

In short, though, I didn't feel it was matter-of-fact to say Star Wars was grounded more towards WWII, as that would imply the limitations props had that caused those uses and tactics. Interception and interdiction are very much already a SW thing, contrary to that, meaning the role of a long-range interceptor was feasible if not canonically frequent.

I have added to the description the exact role and rationale of this ship.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom