Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech NADIR P-SERIES Crushgaunt

Status
Not open for further replies.
c910a0cfdef28bf3bca9c7330a8660b0.jpg

OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
PRODUCTION INFORMATION
  • Manufacturer: Nadir
  • Model: NADIR P-SERIES Crushgaunt
  • Affiliation: Closed-Market
  • Modularity: /
  • Production: Mass-Produced
  • Material: Micronized Reinforced Duraplast, Tanned Spacers Leather
TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS
  • Classification: Crushgaunt
  • Weight: 0.75 kg per Crushgaunt
  • Quality: 8
SPECIAL FEATURES
  • Crushgaunt technology
  • Faraday cage
DETAILED SPECIAL FEATURES
/

Strengths:
  • Crushgaunt: Does what it says on the tin. It exponentially enhances the grip-strength of the wearer, allowing them to crush bone and most common metals without much resistance. Tougher materials take much longer to deform, but it can be achieved given enough time.
  • Low-tech: Because the strength-enhancement is achieved through the use of miniature servos, the Crushgaunt will continue to work normally even if exposed to EMP/ion damage. The power source utilized by the servos is protected by a Faraday cage and the Reinforced Duraplast used in production.
Weaknesses:
  • Beskar it ain’t: It has no special resistances. A couple of blaster shots will penetrate it. Lightsabers will cut it with ease. Kinetic damage will break the delicate bones of the hand. Catching blades is severely inadvisable. Parrying is difficult, but possible.
DESCRIPTION

While most well-off mercenaries and Mandalorians can afford to own a Beskar Crushgaunt, they are few and far in-between. Most criminals never make the kind of connections or money to get their hands on one of those babies – here is where Nadir cashes in.

The Plus-series Crushgaunt is a cheaper version of the famed weapon made available to a much wider audience. While nobody will be catching lightsabers with it, the gauntlet still does its job well and can take a couple of hits before giving out.

[member="Aver Brand"] - Before I stamp this with a green seal of approval, there’s one thing I’d like to make a note of.

While it’s evident that you’ve listed these Crushgauntlet’s work through the use of miniature servos, I’m afraid that doesn’t match the canon article you’ve linked that briefly explains how these armoured gloves work. As there is a technical contradiction, please either remove the Low-tech Strength or alter the classification and special feature to represent the technology at play, appropriately.

That being said, I’ve done some digging and have found an alternative that would allow you to retain the Low-tech strength and would still be considered a Crushgauntlet, but would require the removal of the miniature servos. The canon article makes mention of Power Glove’s fibrous composite being formed from metallic compounds, and electrically responsive biofibers (That simulated the constricting effects of organic muscle) to give the wearer a significant boost of strength to their hands and wrists.

However, in addition to the servos being removed, the normal operation when exposed to EMP/ Ion damage would have to go as well, due to these Crushgauntlet’s requiring some form of stimulating current in order to operate as intended.

If you’d like to have this submission remain as is, I would request that you expand on how the gauntlets can continue working when exposed to highly ionized plasma and electromagnetic pulses.

Please keep in mind, that if the micronized servos are powered in any way, they will not be able to continue operating if damaged by EMP/Ion damage.

If, by chance, the miniature servos are pneumatic/ hydraulic in nature, not only would they require a power source, but there would be a weakness attributed to this function as well. Despite the micronized Duraplast, I believe it would make the gloves less dextrous than intended due to the constricting and rigid nature of those pneumatic/ hydraulic servos.

Please feel free to reply with any comments, questions or concerns, and please mention me when you’ve completed your edits.

[member="Otto Shule"]

I'm not sure what's not matching here. Directly quoting from the Crushgaunt article:
In about 43 ABY, Imperial Head of State Jagged Fel used crushgaunts to hang on to the bottom of a speeder and it is mentioned that there are servos in the crushgaunts.

This is canon tech. The only difference is the replacement of the heavy and restricted Beskar with the lighter and weaker Duraplast.

[member="Aver Brand"] - What wasn’t matching was the description of technologies at play, as the single line mentioned at the end of the article wasn’t enough to justify the use of servos when it states that Crushgaunts are armoured gloves that used reactive fabric. The use of “servos” was more artistic licensing from an Author that knew little of the already established Canon regarding these armoured gloves, and with it being mentioned only once - it’s not a reliable source to state as a fact. (Source: Fate of the Jedi: Outcast. Page 242 - Line 5.)

Had it been said several times more and referred to in a more concrete fashion, I wouldn’t have any issues. To my knowledge, as that’s not the case, I would like to see this submission either follow through with the Reactive fabrics that would simulate the Crushgaunt technology in a similar vein as the previously linked Power Glove, or become a cheap adaptation (Pseudo-cybernetics) that utilizes a series of micro-servos to achieve the same result.

Regardless of which path you take, I’m still uneasy about having a pair of armoured gloves that utilize a power source in some respect virtually immune to EMP and Ion attacks. Would you kindly remove that strength? Or, if you felt like keeping it, please expand on why it would continue operating normally.

[member="Otto Shule"]

Would the use of Reinforced Duraplast and a Faraday cage satisfy your request?

The gauntlet fares poorly against all other types of damage, which is also listed under Weaknesses. Having it be resistant solely to EMP/Ion is not unreasonable.

[member="Aver Brand"] - In that respect, you're correct. It's not unreasonable, but as I mentioned in my previous reply - I wanted you to expand on why it was resistant. It would be irresponsible of me to allow something like this through the Factory, that could result in someone interpreting this as fundamentally immune to EMP / Ion damage.

Nevertheless, you've made the edits already.

Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom