Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Munit Me'sen-type Freight Train

10031084_2.jpg

10031084_1.jpg
Image Credit: Pitch Black (Movie)

Intent: To create a 'space train' that utilizes similar shipping techniques as actual trains.

Development Thread: NA
Manufacturer: Mandal Hypernautics
Model: Munit Me'sen-type Freight Train (“Long Starship” in galactic basic)
Affiliation: Open Market
Modularity: Yes, Variable Length, Different Shipping Options,
Production: Mass Production

Material:
Alusteel Frame and Hull
Ferro-Magnesium Ceramic internals
Alusteel Shipping Containers

Classification: Heavy Freighter
Role: Bulk Freighter
Height: See Description
Width: See Description
Length: See Description
Power Core Generator/Reactor: 1x Solar Ionization Reactor + 1x SI Reactor per Drive Unit
Hyperdrive Rating: 5 (no backup)
Minimum Crew: 2 for Navigation Unit, 2 per Drive Unit
Optimal Crew: 6 for Navigation Unit, 4 per Drive Unit
Armaments: None
Hangar: None

Non-Combative Attachments:
Standard Communications Array
Standard Holonet Transceiver
Compartmentalized Life Support Systems
Standard Navigational Systems
Standard Deflector Shielding
Standard Sensor Array

Passenger Capacity: None
Cargo Capacity: 3,750 Break Freight or 1,000 tons Container Freight per cargo container
Consumables: 8 Months
Sublight Speed and Maneuverability: Class 7

Description:

With war looming on the horizon for the Mandalorian Clans, Mandal Hypernautics CEO Rygel Larraq recognized the inevitable need for increased production across the Mandalorian Territories. Weapons, Ammo, Armor, Vehicles, Starships, Food, and Medical Supplies would all be needed in vast quantities. In many cases, this would obviously require increased mining and new production facilities across the whole of Mandalorian Space.

What it would also require was a means of transporting large quantities of goods between planets in record time. For that, the Mandalorians would require a new form of freighting that could handle the logistical needs of a nation at war. Looking at the existing assets of the Mandalorians and the freighting options of competitive companies, Rygel Larraq was drawn to a ship already in his possession.

Studying the strengths and flaws of a Reclaimer-class Freighter owned and operated by Hyperion Mining, Rygel Larraq and a team of engineers set about to design a similar starship that could handle larger and more demanding shipping requirements. The first challenge was to overcome the length limits of the original design. This was achieved by creating an independent engine compartment that housed a reactor, sublight engines, and a hyperdrive unit. These engine compartments were called 'Drive Units'. Each of which could be connected to the primary Navigation Unit by a series of segmented spinal sections. Each spinal section included a walkway that allowed crew to travel between operational units and cargo pods, as well as electronics and cabling that connected each unit to the Navigational heart of the starship.

Instead of designing the spine of the ship to be flexible, the Munit Me'sen-type Freight Train would include a rigid spine and would incorporate vectored thrust propulsion systems in each Drive Unit. This allowed the Freight Train to more effectively 'pivot' in space, but restricts the Freighter from operating in atmosphere or low orbit.

Each segment of this Freight Train in space can hold up to four cargo containers around the central spine structure. Each container is detachable and is 25 meters by 15 meters by 10 meters and can hold a total of 3,750 cubic meters of break freight or approximately 1,500 tons of container freight. Each segment of spine and 2 or 4 cargo containers is called a Pod. A light pod is comprised of a pair of durable containers attached to a central spine. A heavy pod is comprised of four durable containers attached to a central spine. The containers may either be unloaded by conventional means upon docking at a station or may simply be removed and replaced with different containers and unloaded elsewhere.

A standard 'train' consists of a single 40 meter by 25 meter by 15 meter navigational section and at least one 30 meter by 46 meter by 35 meter drive unit. A standard train with only one drive unit can handle a maximum of seven light cargo pods or five heavy cargo pods. Five pods being between the navigation and drive units and (in the case of light pods) two additional pods are positioned behind the drive unit,

A Munit Me'sen-type Freight Train that holds more than 7 Light Pods or 5 Heavy Pods must possess 1 Drive Unit for every 5 Pods equipped on the train. Due to safety concerns, laws limit the maximum length of a Munit Me'sen-type Freight Train to 256 Heavy Pods and 12 Drive Units.

((12x)(5x Heavy Pods + 1x Drive Unit)) + 1x Navigational Section + 4x Heavy Pods = 2,000 meters in length and 256 Cargo Containers

960,000 cubic meters of Break Freight
384,000 tons of Container Freight

[member="Captain Larraq"]

The first thing that'll need addressing is the length. While I appreciate a variable length, the 2,000 meter length restriction remains. So the max length that this is gonna be allowed is 2,000 meters.

Next up; While the modular design is cool, it's also something completely new to Star Wars. Ships in Star Wars have always been of a fixed length. They've never gotten longer or shorter without extensive refits and rebuilding. I'd like to have a solid dev thread done for this to move fully explore its innovations and limitations.

Ayden Cater said:
[member="Captain Larraq"]

While the modular design is cool, it's also something completely new to Star Wars. Ships in Star Wars have always been of a fixed length.
Not true actually. The Reclaimer-class Repair Vessel has a variable length. Larraq purchased one at an auction and has been using it for Hyperion Mining. As listed in the description, this ship was made by studying the strengths and flaws of that vessel and choosing design routes that would result in a better, more efficient design.

I'll get started on the dev thread though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom