Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Multi Invasion Idea

Cyrus Tregessar said:
Man, even our imaginary worlds aint perfect. What does that tell you about human nature?

On the topic of invasions, I don't know about multi-invasions, but I would love to see a little more complexity to the process. The now widespread inclusion of objectives is great, but you still don't have, uh, tiered progression? If x succeeds then y happens, if x dosen't work then z is the backup, and so on. Sort of like Rush from Battlefield, or something.

But I think that's a different discussion (not to mention potentially being a lot of work for staff which is probably on interest to a minority of people).

Personally, I love the idea.

But on Chaos, with the way people like to write... This would more likely be covered by a campaign of multiple threads than by a single invasion.

Between threads taking dozens of writers weeks to take just a single objective, the sheer volume of posts to read through, exc... I think a Campaign would be a bit of a better way to do this.
Though... you could probably manage this with a string of invasions over the same world.

Skirmish A - Naval Battle with a theme on "getting troops to the planet"
Invasion A - Fight over 3 objectives
Invasion B - Invaders are being pushed back towards their landing craft, or defenders are being pushed back into secondary defensive positions
Invasion C - Invaders are being pushed back into space, or defenders are being pushed to evacuation points, or the invaders are now defending the 3 objectives
Invasion D - Defenders are being pushed into space, or a repeat of one of the above based on battlefield progression
Skirmish B / Faction Thread A - Invaders quell the local population, Defenders begin the relief effort, back to skirmishing in space as one side flees the planet

Jsc

Disney's Princess
[member="Captain Larraq"] Progressive fleeting was always a fun idea in theory. Jumping in your fleet artillery on the edge of the system's gravity really shifted the game dynamic, rather than dumping a whole fleet of ships within spitting distance of the atmosphere. You'd lose capital ships to the long range guns and suddenly discover that your hanger bays went down with the ship. Thus prompting Fleets to go Full-Carrier and place their Invasion Troops at the back of the line up. Starfighters are released at tremendous distances now and end up skirmishing well outside of Frigate gun range. Let alone before the bombers get a chance to even see their targets. Throw in some Interdictions, ECMs, Holonet Blackouts, and Gravity Mines, etc. You've got a whole galaxies worth of messy tactics to play with.

Alas. Such intricate dynamics and sciences are lost here. Invasion Troops start planet-side, Planetary shielding is ignored, Physics is dumped, and 1v1 Duels between wizards can often determine victory or defeat. Writers notice this and adapt their tactics, ships, and tech to match.

Meh. You get used to it. :D :p

Jay Scott Clark said:
[member="Captain Larraq"] Progressive fleeting was always a fun idea in theory. Jumping in your fleet artillery on the edge of the system's gravity really shifted the game dynamic, rather than dumping a whole fleet of ships within spitting distance of the atmosphere. You'd lose capital ships to the long range guns and suddenly discover that your hanger bays went down with the ship. Thus prompting Fleets to go Full-Carrier and place their Invasion Troops at the back of the line up. Starfighters are released at tremendous distances now and end up skirmishing well outside of Frigate gun range. Let alone before the bombers get a chance to even see their targets. Throw in some Interdictions, ECMs, Holonet Blackouts, and Gravity Mines, etc. You've got a whole galaxies worth of messy tactics to play with.

Alas. Such intricate dynamics and sciences are lost here. Invasion Troops start planet-side, Planetary shielding is ignored, Physics is dumped, and 1v1 Duels between wizards can often determine victory or defeat. Writers notice this and adapt their tactics, ships, and tech to match.

Meh. You get used to it. :D :p
I'm still trying to wrap my head around someone getting hurled 600 meters, hitting the ground, and getting up like nothing happened.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom