Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Movies, Shows and Books; Order?

So! I've been really into clone wars lately, and want to watch more about star wars and such, friends said rebels is great as well!

I also love reading! Oh and I've.... You're going to kill me but I've never watched the movies...

Everything I know is from wookiepedia!

So, people say the proper order for the movies is IV, V and VI buut that doesn't make sense to me, do I watch it from I - VI or is it true that I watch it like that?

Oh and about the books, is there somewhere I can find the order of the books?

Bunker-level Normal
I like to show the movies in chronological order, from IV-VI, then I-III. It's much less jarring when people have seen the originals and then see the prequels and wonder why the tech is so much shinier and the lightsaber duels are so much flashier. For as many in-universe explanations as one can muster, the simple rationale is just: those movies came later with a bigger budget and in a different era of moviemaking.

However, once you get to the end, you realize the story isn't really two separate trilogies but one single story, all focused around the fall and rise of Anakin Skywalker. To that end, you may prefer to watch them in order, I-III and then IV-VI.

Or just watch Empire Strikes Back and put the rest away. You'll thank me someday.

[member="Rhain"]

People love the prequels, people hate the prequels.

People love the originals, people love the originals.

You'll never get a definitive answer how to watch them BUT I would genuinely do them in the narrative order.

Episode I first, all the way through to Episode VI(and soon beyond).

You get the meet the characters and understand the universe the films are set in.

Also, here is a comprehensive list of Expanded Universe / Legend timeline books for you in order, split by era:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline_of_Legends_books

Bunker-level Normal
Rhain said:
[member="Connor Harrison"]

Thank you, now here is an odd question. Audio book, physical or online? xD
That one's on you. You probably know best how you consume media, so if you're a better listener than reader, go for the audio book. If you've got a sweet eBook reader and take it with you wherever you go, that's the obvious choice there. If you love the sensation of curling up in the chair with a paperback, there's no better choice than physical.

[member="Rhain"]

The movies are the movies. Everybody has their different opinions on the sequels/prequels. If you're watching them for the first time, do it however it makes sense to you. Don't let yourself be too influenced by us (comparatively) Star Wars geezers.

As far as the books are concerned, and I read a considerable number of them up to a few years ago, I was, perhaps a little too, obsessive in high school and branched out when I hit college. But here are my personal favorites (I also very much recommend some of the comics!) because that list of books can be incredibly daunting (chronologically):

Reaves and Perry's Medstar duology
Perry's Shadow of the Empire
Stackpole's Rogue Squadron series
Zahn's Thrawn Trilogy
Dark Horse comic's Dark Empire

Branching out from there is pretty easy. And there are a lot of branches to follow. Just know that none of these are likely to be related to the new series of movies (Episodes 7, 8, and 9). At this point, they're only extant for fans to enjoy.

Karrie

Princess of Baalia and Senator to the Galactic Sen
The first movie I saw was V, then VI and VII. Years later when episodes I, II and III came out I saw them. So I would say there's no real order in which to watch them. Its however you choose to.

As for the Books. Due to Disney's canon swipe it is really non-issue post Episode VI novels. But if you are still interested. X-Wing Series, Thrawn Trilogy, Peace of Bakura and Dark Tide are neat series. The new Darth Vader comics are good too.

Ludolf Vaas said:
You should try the machete order thing. It actually makes a good deal of sense. IV - V - II - III- VI
I'm going to second this. The Machete order cuts out Ep. 1 entirely, which some people don't like, but it actually makes a lot of sense (see the linked article for details, but spoilers for [member="Rhain"] if you care about that). This is my preferred order for marathons.

As far as books go, I highly recommend the Thrawn trilogy. Heck, anything written by Timothy Zahn. The Darth Bane trilogy, the X-Wing series, Darth Plagueis, Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader, and Shadow of the Empire are also high on my list of favorites.

Also, if you enjoy video games (and/or tabletop roleplaying), play Knights of the Old Republic. Actually, even if you don't, play KotOR anyway. It's fantastic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom