Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Morning Maneuvers

UaaFcjP.png

"Attention!"

The barked order echoed across the embarkation deck, drawing the eyes of the assembled guests to the scene unfolding. The gathering hall on the embarkation deck was massive, easily capable of holding hundreds of individuals with enough tables and refreshment stations to keep them all content. Dark grey walls surrounded the guests on three sides, while a massive, transparisteel window dominated the far wall. Banners of the Empire in various shades of red and blue hung from the walls, drifting slightly in the artificial breeze keeping the room cool despite the large number of people within. Beyond the transparisteel viewport, the Harkenfang, a Valiant Class Cruiser, sat in silent, lethal grace.

Two dozen naval officers in the customary grey stood at attention on the back of a raised platform set just before the transparisteel viewport. They stood unmoving, eyes staring directly ahead as Rear Admiral Vance stepped onto the stage. The aged human male moved with an air of confidence, though a slight limp made the movements awkward. He came to a stop in the middle of the stage, and turned to address the audience, his voice booming over the crowd with ease.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, honored guests and servants of the Empire, I welcome you here today. Rather than waste all of our times with a grand speech, I will get on to the main event so that I have a chance to get some of those desserts that I see." His words earned a small chuckle from the crowd as Vance turned and gestured with one hand off stage. Leandra stepped up onto the stage, her uniform crisp and without a single wrinkle or crease as she moved forward, her shoulder length blonde hair shifting slightly with each step. She wore the same uniform as the other officers in the room, though the right shoulder of her uniform was colored a deep red. It was a tradition of her homeworld, Alashan, for its people to wear a red sash when travelling off world, a connection to their origin. The Imperial Navy had initially resisted allowing her to display anything breaking uniform, but eventually she won her case. Rather than a sash, she had settled for just one shoulder of her uniform.

Coming to a halt before the Rear Admiral, Leandra saluted the man, a gesture returned briefly before she stood at attention. "On this day, with the authority granted to me by the Triumvirate and the Empire they serve, I, Rear Admiral Vance formally turn over command of the NIV Harkenfang to Captain Leandra Brax." At these final words, the assembled officers, each a selected man and woman from the Harkenfang snapped a salute to their new commanding officer. Leandra saluted once more herself, before shaking hands with Vance, and receiving the datapad that held the official documentation of her new command. The crowd erupted into applause for several moments before Vance waved them to silence.

"As is tradition, the Captain here will be taking her ship on its maiden voyage today. All are welcome to attend this flight, and will have excellent views. Until then, enjoy yourselves."

Zorah Fel Zorah Fel Voren Lef Voren Lef

Years it had been and he could hardly remember it. Voren Fel now Voren Lef had spent time on the run lost in the Outer Rim for almost twenty years, and now he returned as an initiate of the Imperial Knights. No one knew him, and part of him hated that as he returned with a vision. Here he stood among many in the crowd of officers, dignitaries, and the hard working men and women who made this vessel. He stood seeming more ragged than what a Knight is often seen as. Clothes in red robes with pieces of the Imperial Knight armor scattered across his body he felt he hadn’t earned the full set yet.

His eyes while usually had kept to ground were raised above. The old man gave the usual pleasentries. He came for two things to be hones, the free food and to make connections to reveal himself. He spent a long time running, and he grew so tired of hiding himself. The Sith were gone, and the Empire had reached heights not seen since the First Order, even rising to heights of the Fel Empires of old. Long has his name held a curse, and every Fel has met a bitter end if not the collapse of Empires. In a way the boy was afraid of what the name held, he couldn’t become the man he was truly meant to be.

In the middle of his pondering his hand traveled to the hilt of his lightsaber. His fingers were trailing along the metallic hilt in order to calm down. In a way he often did this with such stress that he avoided the Empire until now. He was afraid to face it all he had to use his saber as a coping mechanism. When he heard the crowd start to mingle, and head towards the buffet he finally was snapped out of it.

“Alright Voren you can do this…” He said with a sharp exhale. A tremendous feeling of anxiety was starting to rise, yet he pushed himself to go ahead. The young Fel had approached carefully to one bed of the buffet. Casually grabbing a plate and with it a numa leg he could feel others, and even others feel him out. He tried to move to the crowd with his food unsure of what to do, and who he would bump into with a slight nervousness showing his naivety.

Zorah Fel Zorah Fel Leandra Brax Leandra Brax

Zorah sat quietly as Rear Admiral Vance approached the podium and began his speech. He was brief, and thankfully so, as the Fel heiress abhorred long speeches and excessive words. Words were wind-- it was actions that mattered. The sight of Captain Brax accepting the official documentation that named her captain of the NIV Hawkenfang meant more than any words he might have said. The true honor was in the appointment itself.

Truth be told, she wouldn't have come if not for her father's incessant needling. You must make connections on your own, Zorah-- outside of the battlefield. The Empire is more than troopers and knights. But she wasn't one for parties nor celebrations, and cared little for the novelty of maiden voyages. She was concerned only with the merit of the captain in question.

A ragged, dark haired knight in piecemeal armor caught her eye. There was something passingly familiar about him, though she was certain she had never seen him before. A new initiate, perhaps? She would've remembered seeing a fellow Knight with such poor presentation; it was unbecoming.

Dressed like that, he has to be a new initiate. No true Knight would let themselves be seen in such a state.

She was as immaculate as always, clad in her sleek, gleaming white armor, her cape for the evening woven from shimmering silver, the Fel crest etched into the cuirass that protected her chest. The crowds parted for her as she approached the buffet table and the Knight floundering near the food.

"You," Zorah began, her tone stern, "Where is the rest of your armor?"

.​

Last edited:

irondiv.png

Leandra made sure she spoke to each of the officers from the Harkenfang once the Rear Admiral had dismissed the assembly. She had met a few of them before during different missions and deployments, and a few she had seen in the Rampart Imperial Naval Academy. She still held fond memories of her time there, and had made a few visit back to Cathar since her graduation, and while she did not enjoy the climate there, there was a simple, harsh beauty to the world. She had pulled some string to get a primarily Rampart crew assigned to her command, and she would make certain that they made a good showing.

After she had spoken to them, she turned back to look at the reception now in full swing. Naval officers mingled with politicians and other civilian officials. Serving staff made their way through the crowds carrying trays laden with drinks and simple dessert foods, while tables strategically placed around the rest of the room held a larger, though rather mundane, variety of food. Despite the importance of the ceremony and occasion to Leandra, she was after all only a Captain. The commissioning of a new cruiser would hardly draw much attention, and she guessed most of those present were there out of boredom if nothing else.

Stepping off the stage, she began to speak with those who had come to ceremony, offering a few polite words to people of importance, while merely nodding and shaking the hands of those that could be safely sidelined. She did not have much interest in greeting hundreds of strangers today, not when her mind was preoccupied with the maiden voyage that was still yet to come. As she grabbed a glass from a passing waiter and sipped from the green liquid held within, her eyes locked on the form of Zorah Fel Zorah Fel make her way through the crowd. It was rather easy to do, seeing as the crowds literally parted for her. Perhaps it was due to her armor clearly marking her as an Imperial Knight, but more likely, Leandra thought, it was due to the crest that blazoned her armor.

A Fel.

While most of the people watched the Fel make her way through the room, Leandra cast her gaze along the most likely path the knight was following, and spotted Voren Lef Voren Lef at one of the tables. He appeared to be another Imperial Knight, though he was not as well kept in appearance as the one even now approaching for a confrontation. Leandra took another sip of her drink, and the cold, unwavering gaze she cast at both Imperial Knights earned her own fair share of gazes. People began to slowly move away from the two Knights, though a few moved away from Leandra as well, leaving her a clear and unobstructed view of what was to come.

Perhaps this gathering would not be so boring.

Voren found celebrations like this to always be boring. Others mingled with each other, and he was left to keep to himself. Regardless as he gathered his meat at the buffet he could hear whispers regarding his appearance. He was an initiate who stood out appearing more like a begger knight than the noble looking warriors in blinding white. He stood as how he had his entire life on the run, his name changed and hidden for so many years no one knew who he was. He stood awkwardly looking at first his plate, then the ground trying not to draw any attention to himself.

He spoke too soon, as moments after spacing out he could see others clear a paths. The sound of heavy boots increased and when Voren looked up he was greeted by the sigil of his family. He looked up to see the eyes of a woman who seemed displeased. His anxiety increased and while he slowly looked up his fingers trailing the hilt of his saber again. He felt anxiety hit him like a hammer as his eyes stared into the orbs of a Fel right before him. What came out of her lips was not any sign of recognition but of his appearance. He cleared his throat and stammered out. “Uh-uh… I-I never had one… fresh out of the academy I don’t think I’ve earned it Ma’am… I’ve been away from the Empire for a long time.” He said his eyes trying not to look away from her gaze. As the crowd created a wide space for the two Knights all he wanted to do was hide.

His hand would softly grasp his saber. His heart was racing, and the young man wasn’t sure what to do. It was clear he didn’t know his family anymore, and to even stand among them made him afraid. He could hear the whispers of the crowd while he could feel the woman stare into him. Her gaze made him uncomfortable, but he knew little else but to stand and face the woman before him. If anything else he hoped she would accept his reasoning, and if not hoped she wouldn’t judge too harshly.

Leandra Brax Leandra Brax Zorah Fel Zorah Fel

Even if Zorah were unable to feel his anxiety in the Force, she could see it plainly on his face and in his stature. He looked less like a Knight and more like a waif, especially up close-- she was half a foot taller than him, if not more, and his posture was terrible, back hunched, shoulders drawn in, as if he was trying to hide in plain sight. He kept touching his lightsaber, almost caressing it. A nervous habit? If so, it was a stupid one, Zorah thought. Someone might take it as provocation.

She only touched her lightsaber when she meant to use it.

"Uh-uh… I-I never had one," the nameless knight began, stammering. "Fresh out of the academy... I don't think I've earned it Ma'am… I've been away from the Empire for a long time."

She could almost hear his heart racing. He was nearly shaking. Am I so terrifying? He looked her in the eyes when he spoke, however, so that meant something. Perhaps he was nervous around crowds? She didn't particular like them, but they didn't make her nervous. She'd gotten used to gatherings over the years, she'd simply never learned to enjoy them.

People were watching. Expecting a show, no doubt. Zorah wouldn't give them one. She stepped closer, lowering her voice to a sharp whisper, and pulled on the Force-- a noise like soft static washed her words from the ears of the nosy listeners.

"Calm down. I'm not going to attack you. And stand up straight." She took a good, long look at him. "Your thoughts on the matter of proper raiment aside, you look like a fool." A familiar fool. It was his bone structure, she realized. "What is your name?"

Leandra spotted the similarities herself, her hazel eyes narrowed as she glanced between the two Imperial Knights. Or, she supposed, a knight and a half. Coming from a noble family herself, back during her youth on Alashan, the ties of blood ran strong for those who knew what to look for. She would not make too many assumptions, but she had a guess how the conversation might pan out. She did not attempt to pry, even though it would have been useful to try, and instead glanced around at the gathering.

Scores of eyes were turned towards the two at the center of the reception hall and embarkation deck, many whispering quietly to one another. With each passing moment, more eyes around the edges of the gathering turned towards the two Imperial Knights, and before long most of the gathering would be focused on them. Leandra did not mind too much, she simply wanted to be done here and get on about things, but just as her career was beginning, she did not think she wanted to be on poor terms with the Imperial Knights, or, more specifically, these two here, if they left this party with bad memories.

She finished off the last of her drink, sighing as the warm liquid trickled down her throat. She then extended her hand to the side, and let go of the glass. With all eyes turned towards the two knights, none saw Leandra do this. The glass cup shattered against the ground, the sudden sound echoing in the silence that had slowly been descending across the gathering. Eyes turned towards Leandra, and a small smile spread across her face as she wiped her hand idly on a napkin secured from a nearby table, as if the glass had simply slipped from her hands.

“My apologies everyone, the excitement of the day seems to be getting to me. If you would all like, I believe we are just about ready for the maiden voyage to get underway. Lieutenant Hashel shall see those interested to the Harkenfang.” At her words, a nearby officer suddenly shot bolt upright, a plate of food held in his hands. He cast a single, longing look at the plate before setting it down on the table, and began to guide the crowds of people away towards the waiting cruiser.

She glanced between the two Imperial Knights for a moment, having made sure they were finished with their discussion before making her scene. She took a step towards them, extending a hand to the two Knights in turn.
“Captain Leandra Brax, pleased to meet you.”

Voren Lef Voren Lef Zorah Fel Zorah Fel

Voren felt his own heart was starting to leap from his very throat. He didn’t suspect his first day out of training he would be placed on a field trip. To be honest he thought he could grab a plate, and slink to some little corner to be by himself. That all changed when he found himself trying not to stare into one of his own family members. He looked like a frightened boy with the way he stood. His fingers trailing over the features of his saber. He tried to find even the slightest distraction away from dealing with the awkward situation. He half expected her to yell at him, give him perhaps the worst dressing down of his early career so far as a Knight.

Much to his surprise, Zorah had leaned down and whispered. The voice was clam, yet stern in trying to show proper respect. His gaze would find her’s and he would give a nervous smile. “Well, I didn’t exactly dress to impress.” He said with a light laugh when she called him a fool. He tried to follow through with her advice, and even checked himself. He stood up a little straighter in hopes of trying to please her in the moment. He felt slightly embarrassed, the least he could do was straighten himself out.

She stared at him for a moment. His anxiety would only increase slowly, and soon she asked for his name. “My name is Voren, Voren Le-“ He spoke, but just as he was about to finish he heard the voice of the ships captain. No doubt she was making rounds to all of her guests, and seeing the two knights create a scene had quickly gained her attention. He stood up straighter and looked the Captain in the eye with a friendly smile. “Captain! Lovely ship you have here… My name is Voren Lef pleased to meet you… I hope we aren’t causing too much trouble?” He said with another light laugh among the whispers of the crowd. His eyes going back to the elder Fel to see what else she would say.

Leandra Brax Leandra Brax Zorah Fel Zorah Fel

A glass shattered, and every eye in the room turned away from the pair of Knights. Zorah didn't bat an eye.

"My apologies everyone, the excitement of the day seems to be getting to me," she heard the captain say. Interesting, Zorah thought. That had clearly been done for their benefit. "If you would all like, I believe we are just about ready for the maiden voyage to get underway. Lieutenant Hashel shall see those interested to the Harkenfang."

The waif stood taller in response to Zorah's words, but he still looked like half a child. She answered his nervous laugh with stony-eyed silence-- it was her default expression, a resting face wrought from iron. She wondered how he had made it through the academy with such a anxious disposition.

"My name is Voren," he began. "Voren Le--,"

The woman of the hour, Captain Leandra Brax, introduced herself as she joined them, and the man revealed his name. Voren Lef. Zorah arched one finely shaped brow. Surely he isn't serious? Lef? It sounded like something her brother might've come up with. That is to say, it sounded stupid.

"Captain Brax," Zorah said, inclining her head towards the captain, though her eyes never left Voren. The Wolf of Alashan. It was a fitting moniker, from what Zorah had heard. "My father has spoken very highly of you." She wasn't sure yet if that was a good thing or a bad thing; her father was a hard man. To Voren, "The captain here turned in her own family to Imperial authorities when she discovered their criminal ties. She is a true believer. Forgive me, you said your name was Fel, yes? Voren Fel?"

If he was a Fel, and she was all but certain he was, then his appearance was truly shameful.

"My name is Zorah," she said to the both of them. She turned to the captain finally, and clasped her hand in a firm shake. She held the shake a few beats longer than necessary, silently conveying her thanks for the distraction.

Leandra nodded her head to Zorah Fel Zorah Fel as she introduced herself, the corner of her mouth quirking up in a smile as her past was mentioned. “The Empire is the embodiment of justice and order in this galaxy. As a servant of the Empire, I must be loyal to all of its principles, and maintain a moral integrity. My family broke the law and betrayed the Empire. They earned their fate, and I do not shed tears over what had to be done.” The final words were accented with a brief squeeze of her hand, indicating she understood Zorah’s silent message.

She turned to look at Voren, her eyes looking the man up and down for a few moments, letting the silence hang between them. “The Empire is always in need of more Knights and soldiers, whether they are citizens or long lost outcasts. At the end of the day, your devotion to the Empire and your willingness to do what must be done,” Leandra paused, locking eyes with Zorah, “for the greater good of the Empire.” She nodded her head to both of the Knights then, and turned to watch as the last of the guests interested in the maiden voyage of the Harkenfang made their way across the boarding tubes.

She took a step in that direction, her hands folding behind her back in a well rehearsed and comfortable motion. “If either of you would care to join this voyage, I would be more than happy to continue this conversation in the Captain’s cabin.

Voren Lef Voren Lef

Voren was nervous beyond belief. He hadn’t interacted with his distant family for so long that under the gaze of Zorah he felt like a small boy. The nervous laugh he gave off did very little to ease the tension. It seemed that she remained serious ignoring how laid back the young boy seemed to be, if not suffering from social anxiety after years of exile. He tried to desperately meet her gaze even if part of him wanted to look down.

With Leandra’s timely arrival it had cut some of the tension away. The way she spoke with so much passion for the Empire made the boy almost blush to her words. It had been so long that he had forgotten the meaning of Fel, the meaning of Empire. Turning his attention to Zorah who asked inquisitively of his name, and guessed what his true name was. The light blush only deepens into a dark crimson covering his face lowering his head in embarrassment. “Aye, I’m…” He paused correcting himself quickly. “I was once Voren Fel… A boy who was promised the Imperial throne… Of course before the Sith drove myself into exile… I’ve hidden out in the Outer Rim so long I’ve forgotten who I really am.” He said forcing himself to meet her gaze. The shyness had all but faded in the moment, and he met her gaze with his own. “I do not know if we are siblings, cousins… Whatever the dynamic maybe I am a Fel like you in all but the name I have now. With the Sith threat gone I’ve come back… For better or worse.” He said the last part with the same nervousness as before.

His head turned to Leandra. She watched to see the rest of her guests finish the boarding of the Harkenfang. “Perhaps we could take this to the Captains cabin?” He suggested to Zorah, slowly following the lead of Leandra. Zorah was the first one to know who he really was, and he didn’t want others to know of his true bloodline just yet. “I would like to become reacquainted with what my family stands for and the Empire as a whole.” He said the boy spoke with determination towards the two ladies, his nervous demeanor had all but faded for the time being.

Zorah Fel Zorah Fel Leandra Brax Leandra Brax

The Empire is the embodiment of justice and order in this galaxy. As a servant of the Empire, I must be loyal to all of its principles, and maintain a moral integrity. My family broke the law and betrayed the Empire. They earned their fate, and I do not shed tears over what had to be done.

That's what the Empire is meant to be, Zorah thought. But since the death of her cousin Rurik, the Empire had gained three heads instead of one, allowing politics to creep in and rear their ugly head. The disaster over Ilum was proof enough in her eyes. What use was war against the GA when the Maw still plagued the galaxy?

“Aye, I’m…” He paused correcting himself quickly. “I was once Voren Fel… A boy who was promised the Imperial throne… Of course before the Sith drove myself into exile… I’ve hidden out in the Outer Rim so long I’ve forgotten who I really am.” He said forcing himself to meet her gaze. The shyness had all but faded in the moment, and he met her gaze with his own. “I do not know if we are siblings, cousins… Whatever the dynamic maybe I am a Fel like you in all but the name I have now. With the Sith threat gone I’ve come back… For better or worse.”

"Changing your name doesn't change who you are," Zorah said. "And whoever promised you the throne lied. You can't be given the throne-- you can only earn it." Poor fool, Zorah thought. He didn't even know his own family. "Cousins, most likely." She would've known if she had another brother running around the galaxy, especially one that looked so frail. Her father would've complained about such a son constantly, like he did now with Jorus.

The Empire is always in need of more Knights and soldiers, whether they are citizens or long lost outcasts. At the end of the day, your devotion to the Empire and your willingness to do what must be done,” Leandra paused, locking eyes with Zorah, “for the greater good of the Empire.

For the greater good... it was a dangerous belief, Zorah knew, for all manner of atrocities could be forgiven if it meant the betterment of her people, but it was her belief nonetheless, shared between Knight-Errant and Captain. Did Voren share their conviction? Zorah couldn't say for sure, but she had her doubts. It was his demeanor, she realized, nervous and jittery...perhaps he would grow out of it?

If either of you would care to join this voyage, I would be more than happy to continue this conversation in the Captain’s cabin.

"After you, Captain," said Zorah.

Not one for dawdling or idling, the Knight-Errant was already moving towards the Harkenfang. She'd still rather be elsewhere, honing her craft or drilling with her men, but her Father's needling had managed to bear fruit, finally. It wasn't everyday that lost Fels were discovered. Her father would see the boy as a threat to his goals, but Zorah...Zorah just saw a boy.

“Perhaps we could take this to the Captains cabin?” He suggested to Zorah, slowly following the lead of Leandra. Zorah was the first one to know who he really was, and he didn’t want others to know of his true bloodline just yet. “I would like to become reacquainted with what my family stands for and the Empire as a whole.”

Zorah arched an eyebrow and disdain leaked into her gaze. He's just boy, she reminded herself. "Then perhaps you should stop hiding who you are."

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom