Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Starship Monitor-class Corvette

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sirella Valkner

Because I'm a plant.
vigilclasscorvette28fra.jpg

Image Credit: Here
Intent: To create a system monitor designed for patrol on the open market.
Manufacturer: Sienar Fleet Systems
Model: Monitor-class Corvette
Affiliation: Independent
Modularity: No
Production: Limited Production
Material: Durasteel
Description: The Monitor-class corvette was built for the purpose of scouting and monitoring systems for trouble. Designed by Sasha Sanhe, Sienar Technologies invested a substantial sum in creating the massive sensor suit called the Monitor-X Detection System. The Monitor-X combined numerous types of detection systems including a rare Crystal Gravfield Trap making the ship capable of detecting even a cloaked vessel. The complex system involved in translating all the data from the various types of sensors was only made possible by a combined team of Sienar and Santhe engineers.

The ship is expensive, and the CGT and advanced sensors require very delicate, time-consuming assembly. As a result, the Monitor-class remains a minor production ship. It's not a frontlines combat ship by any means and great care should be taken to avoid having the poor ships caught out by enemy capital ships or fighter groups.

Classification: Support Corvette
Role: System Monitor
Height: 90 meters
Width: 115 meters
Length: 174 meters
Power Core Generator/Reactor: Ionazation reactor
Hyperdrive Rating: Class 2
Minimum Crew: 7
Optimal Crew: 45
Armaments:

• Two Turbolaser Cannons
  • Four Quad Laser Cannons
Hanger:
  • N/A
Non-Combative Attachments:
  • Advanced Sensor Array
  • Communications Array
  • Crystal Gravfield Trap
  • Encryption Network
  • Escape Pods
  • Holonet Transceiver
  • Standard Deflector Shield Generator
  • Standard Detention Cells
  • Standard Life Support Systems
  • Standard Navigational Systems
  • Standard Targeting Systems
Passenger Capacity: 45
Cargo Capacity: 300 Metric Tons
Consumables: Three Months
Sublight Speed and Maneuverability: 4

Looks decent to me. I have two questions though:

1)
Because of the expense of the sensor array it was deemed too costly to place on a sub-capitol ship and instead was placed on a small corvette chassis.
Why would they opt to put the package a smaller more fragile ship over just equipping a handful of capital ships with it?

2) You mention its purpose is for interdiction. Aren't interdiction cruisers typically significantly larger, and I do not see anything else in the description to really see that it is about Interdiction. Is this just a mistake or is some things accidentally being left out?

Sirella Valkner

Because I'm a plant.
Well both those questions relate to one another. By interdiction I mean like drug interdiction not gravity well Interdictor-class cruiser. And this relates to 1 because the ship is designed primarily as a snooping /anti smuggler/scout ship. Putting it on a big slower capitol ship doesn't make sense and the sensors are too large/expensive to put on a smaller patrol ship.

I'm with Selena here in that it does seem a little odd to put such an expensive suite on a ship like this. However, my bigger concern is the use of the crystal gravfield trap. This was a very rare system, yet it's being put on a ship that's mass produced? If the tech was a rarity before, how was it acquired for use with the Empire?

All around, I do not see much of a reason for cloak detection. There really just is not much cloaking in SW and we really haven't approved anything. Seems like there is nothing really to cause this production. All around, I think the big hang up for me, and some other RPJs, is that mass producing it would be incredibly expensive and there does not seem to be much cause for it. If it was in limited production, I could probably approve this no issue, though even then I kind of ask the question... why even make it in a limited capacity?

Yes, being prepared is good but being prepared for something exceedingly rare in this universe seems a bit much. Know what I'm saying?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom