M O G H
OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
Intent: To create a small or ‘mini’ HVC that can be mounted on ships up to 200m
Image Source: Robin Åhlund // Artstation (x)
Canon Link: N/A
Restricted Missions: N/A
Primary Source: Bofors Gunhttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bofors_40_mm_gun [L/70]
Manufacturer: Primo Victorian Shipwright
Model: VHC-RW “Mogh”
Affiliation: Primo Victorian Shipwright | Closed Market
Modularity: Can be mounted in various turrets.
Quadanium Steel, where appropriate
Standard [SIZE=10pt]HVC[/SIZE] Components
Classification: Hypervelocity Cannon
40mm Depleted-Baradium Casings
40mm Depleted-Baradium Solid Slugs
Ammunition Capacity: Effectively Unlimited
Reload Speed: Average
Effective Range: Long Range
Rate of Fire: Very Fast
Stopping Power: Average
High Rate of Fire
Automatic Firing Mode
330 rounds per minute
The Mogh development came about just after the Tasha Programme. The Mogh’s aim was to take the knowledge of hypervelocity cannons and apply it to a much smaller device. One of the first [SIZE=10pt]trade-offs[/SIZE] of developing the Mogh was the range, unlike larger and more formidable hypervelocity cannons. The Mogh does not have near the range and rather has a standard range comparable to that of a standard turbolaser. Secondly, the Mogh gave up any burst firing mode/mechanism in favor of automatic firing. Lastly, it would burn through roughly 330 rounds per minute.
Now the [SIZE=10pt]drawback[/SIZE] of the Mogh [SIZE=10pt]was noticed[/SIZE] relatively quickly in that the weapon did jam when firing. The solution here was to provide a sensor whereby an operator whether organic or inorganic could be notified of when the weapon’s heat output. Now it is up to the operator whether or not to continue firing or allow the weapon to cool down.
It is recommended to allow the weapon to cool down, and when it does it is recommended for organic operators to wear safety gear.
The ammunition for the Mogh was originally slated to be just a 40mm depleted baradium solid shell, but that was the equivalent of shooting flies with a high powered sniper rifle. Thus the switch to casings allowing for the Mogh to serve as a delivery system for flak or superluminal cluster bombs if necessary. Even if the ammunition is a 40mm solid slug comprised of depleted baradium then the target or profile should be quite large as it would have a harder time tracking an attack craft.
- Ammunition: Utilizing depleted baradium casings the Mogh can be used as a type of delivery system for flak, or superluminal cluster bombs making it a bit more effective against starfighters and attack craft.
- Accuracy: Improved accuracy over standard hypervelocity cannons.
- Rate of Fire: A very fast rate of fire allowing more damage per second.
- Jammed: Can become jammed/unable to fire due to overheating.
- Cool Down: Must take a cooldown period.
- Ion/EMP: Vulnerable to ion / emp weapons
- Missiles/Projectiles: Vulnerable to missiles / projectiles.
- Shields: Particle shields must be lowered in order to fire.
- Ammunition: If utilizing 40mm Depleted Baradium Solid Slug, the weapon would then be rendered ineffective for starfighters/attack craft smaller than 20m.
Note: Cooldown period is minimum one post, overheating cooldowns take three posts to resolve. Of course, it is always up to the opposing writer to determine the amount of damage if any that they are willing to take.
Effective Range: Battlefield
Effective Range: Long Range