Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech MM-1B Fly Swatter - FFE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did Someone Order a War?
MM1b.png
shouldermounted.jpg
Sources: Image | Text Custom

Tired of that buzzing sound? Don't have a rolled up holopaper to hand? Just press the red button.

Intent: Anti Air, shoulder mounted weapon, counter to jump troops, and flying droids but with reduced ground utility.
Development Thread: N/A
Manufacturer: Fire For Effect
Model: MM-1B Fly Swatter

Affiliation: Closed Market, from Fire for Effect’s Marketplace thread, or a sponsored representative only.
Purchasable from this thread

Firefor_Effect.jpg
Modularity: No
Production: Mass Produced
Material: Trimantium
Classification: Shoulder Mounted Micro Missile Launcher
Size: Shoulder Fixed

Length: 400mm by 400mm square launcher, 300mm by 200mm ammo box on rear of the shoulder.
Weight: 8kg - Full weight of the entire unit, made up of a 5kg launcher and 3kg ammo box.

Ammunition Type: Micro Missiles
Ammunition Capacity: 30 Missiles, 10 Shots, requires someone to assist with reloading, or instead taking off the unit manually to reload.

Autofire Effective Range (Air Only): 800 Meters, Optimum 300 Meters, Minimum Safe Distance 10 Meters (Unit will never autofire below 10)
Manual Fire Effective Range: 400 Meters, Optimum 150 Meters, Minimum Safe Distance 10 Meters. (Unit can be fired at any minimum range)

Rate of Fire: Three Round Burst Fire
Special Features:
Auto Fire on Airborne targets, Multiple Ammo Types, Good Range against air units, Shoulder Mounted, Trimantium provides a Solid Protective Casing.

Description:

With the rise in jetpack use, flying droids and rare sightings of force flight, private individuals and military units both are seeking out a way of countering these ever present threats. A micromissile on the ground is comparable to a normal sized slug for damage, and offers no special advantage except a standard secondary weapon with less explosive radius than a simple grenade. Yet when firing on airborne targets becomes especially nasty, being hit with the commonly used ion micro missile does nothing good for the jump trooper's kit, not only looking to pierce his armor but often blowing out systems and probably causing him to crash. The fact the system shoots slightly ahead of the target makes zigzaging useful at longer ranges, but that brings with it other problems, like slowing your approach down and leaving you vulnerable to other weapons. When pressed the weapon could also do damage to airborne drones or very light snub fighters, being much less useful against anything larger than the smallest of starfighters however unless massed.

Clipping on to most armors to be hand screwed in place, it is belt fed a short distance up the back of the shoulder, with the ammo box located usually on the same shoulder, but options exist for fitting it to either. The ammo box itself is sturdy and resistant to puncture or stretching, but a small weakpoint exists where the ammo is inserted if you are really close and behind the user, the same place the ammo belt can be unclipped to safety the launcher out of combat. Usually fitted with Ion pulse charges which explode in a small radius, frying any circuits and causing equipment to be non usable, it can be fitted with alternative ordinance for rarer situational use. Having four tubes means firing before the next three shots are loaded is possible, snap shooting, but you'll only be firing a partial burst, thus waiting for the next three missiles to load can take a second.

There is no lock on capability to the missile but being micro in size, they are slower than a slug, yet much faster than a regular large missile, and explode in a small radius.

Compatible Ammo Types, and their radius.
Ion, 5 Meter Radius
Fragmentation, 5 Meter Radius
Stun, 7 Meter Radius
Gas, 10 Meter Radius

For airborne threats and automatic shooting:
By use of a heavy switch on the inner side, the Fly Swatter has two modes, on, where it autofires at anything airborne in front of it that's bigger than a small bird, and off. The weapon uses a small ultraviolet and visual sensor for targeting, putting the firing switch on the inner side, so the free hand can reach it easily.

For ground threats and manual air shooting:
The Fly Swatter can be manually fired like any other gun, it is difficult to aim manually as you have no direct sight to the point of impact, and has a much reduced realistic range as a result. First setting it to off, firing manually is done by a press in of the same heavy side switch, and holding it for two seconds. The delay is done so bumps to the trigger won't fire the weapon by accident, and you can override this feature but we don't recommend it! Keeping the switch pressed in will repeatedly fire it in bursts without delay.

Disconnecting the unit at the back from its ammo supply will render the unit inert and safe to handle or move with outside of the combat zone.

What this means is: If you are fighting on the ground you are better off using a regular secondary weapon and a grenade, as this has limited ammo and is hard to aim, plus it adds weight to your arm. If you are likely to meet airborne troops, having some of these weapons attached to your units or options for your personal armory is a big plus.

Strengths:
+ Auto Air Targeting mode, leaves hands free to shoot. Ion charges makes it devastating against most small airborne units like infantry, drones or droids.
+ Explosive Radius offers delivery of a range of Ammo Types.
+ Useful Anti Personal Shield Weapon.
+ At 800 meters the Missiles have a Good Range vs jump troopers, making it a preemptive weapon often.
+ Sturdy Kit and Construction, the Ammo Box is well protected against damage.

Weakness:
- Prone to friendly fire accidents on auto.
- Won't fire on close targets due to explosive safety settings.
- ZigZaging is a partially effective defense while distant but slows you down obviously, and becomes less effective closer in.
- Can't reload yourself unless you take it off, or get someone else to do it, this takes a minute or two.
- Has to be manually fired at ground targets like anything else, and it is difficult to aim manually.
- Extra weight makes wearing too much more kit a problem, such as a jump pack for example! Additionally it slows your loaded arm down for melee or fast reactions.
- Really bad weather conditions can make target acquisition an issue.

Existing Chaos Techs:
Multi Launcher
Micro Missile Rifle
Shoulder References
Shoulder Mounted Minigun
Shoulder Mounted Cannon

RESEARCH REVIEW
-----
Star Wars Canon:
Pending initial review
------
Starwars Chaos:
Pending initial review
------
WITHOUT DEV THREADS
Pending initial review
------
WITH DEV THREADS
Pending Initial review
------
SUGGESTIONS
Pending Inital review

[member="Sere Reene"], I will be judging your submission today. And I have a few questions that I would like answered.

Sere Reene said:
Ammunition Capacity: 36 Missiles, 12 Shots,
36 missiles seems a little too much to be shoved into something that is meant to be fitted on the shoulder. Even if they are micro missiles. Can you either explain how it can hold this many, or come up with a relevant item that is already made that can hold close to this amount?

Sere Reene said:
Autofire Effective Range (Air Only): 800 Meters, Optimum 300 Meters,
Sere Reene said:
+ At 800 meters the Missiles have a Good Range vs jump troopers
These don't quite match up. So is the weapons range supposed to be best used at 300, or 800 meters?

You mention multiple times of a safety mechanism that prevents use of under 10 meters, and I am sure someone will try to do this, but can someone remove this safety warning and use it on someone closer than 10 meters?

Did Someone Order a War?
Reference, because I like the gun

Comparing it to this sub for reference, while the explosive potential there is less, the lethality of that weapon is higher as you'll notice its grenade strength, these missiles are not, they are slug strength, only they hit a wider area and go further instead. This makes them nice AA ion charges, but subpar for ground use, specializing them as an air defense counter.

Ammo box on back:

it is belt fed a short distance up the back of the shoulder, with the ammo box located usually on the same shoulder

The mechanism where the ammo is belt fed, is talked about in the description as being a weakspot but also a way of safetying the device for transport.

I think if 15 can fit in a clip in the sub above, 2 clips side by side would be about 30 here, which would fit a 300mm, 200m box, with some along the short belt, if you like I can widen that.

Altered/Added+

Length: 400mm by 400mm square launcher, 300mm, by 200mm ammo box on rear of shoulder.
Weight: 8kg - Full weight of the entire unit, made up of a 5kg launcher and 3kg ammo box.

Added +2KG because the other weapon only had 15 rounds

Altered:

+ At 800 meters vs air targets the Missiles have a Good Range vs jump troopers, making it a preemptive weapon often.

On the range, I am trying to make them balanced, I didn't want a free shooting second gun on people's shoulders but instead a direct counter to jumpacks, think of them as neutralising the advantage for air troopers. So if people take them and want to shoot at things on the ground they have to do so manually, meaning they won't be firing a second weapon, and the range isn't very good because the accuracy is so poor manually, a trade off for the automatic anti air cover.

They fire at 400 meters max on manual fire mode because you have no way to effectively aim it manually, you'll never hit anything beyond that just via luck, hopefully this proves a significant disadvantage to their use as well.

On the safety warning, not on autofire no as its automatic, but on the manual fire sure, added a small note to the range section at the top.

[member="Zephyr Carrick"]​

[member="Sere Reene"], Thank you for all the information you have given me.

1. So it is a much smaller explosion than a grenade, however the thing is if one person is hit with multiple of this, its like getting hit with a grenade regardless. of the initial size. IE: One bomb or a thousand dynamite sticks. Your choice. I do see that the item is limited due to the three round burst. But the idea still stands. Take it down to 30 rockets with a total of 10 shots. You still have quite enough to deal with multiple people. And I feel a little more comfortable with this being on the market.
  2. Thank you for the edits on the weight and the form that the ammo is held in. That makes it a lot better.
  3. I forgot about this, but since you mention that this can only be purchased by PC characters in the thread you linked, Can you take the production down to Limited? That way PCs can by them for special troops, or just for themselves.
Once these edits are done, I will pass it off.

Did Someone Order a War?
[member="Zephyr Carrick"]

1, Done
2, Thanks for working through it.
3, How many will limited cover? - It is intended to create AA troops for factions (plural) as well should they want them, like all their mass produced open market, non exclusive stuff. So I tried to give it very distinct weaknesses to balance that. - It can only be purchased from a representative from FFE, but they can do so outside of the thread, if they pm me.

[member="Sere Reene"], Mass produced means everyone can just have one without needing a thread where they received it, or purchased it. Limited means they have to go through you to get one for their Faction/group. Which is what you stated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom