Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech Mk.2 "Predator" Scan-pulse module

Status
Not open for further replies.
sɪɴɴᴇʀs ʙʏ ᴅᴇᴇᴅ ʙᴜᴛ ʀɪɢʜᴛᴇᴏᴜs sᴛɪʟʟ
zeJEbUA.png

RbrilDs.gif
ZA7TwQH.gif

"Doesn't matter how sturdy your visor is, if it's covered in paint. Best be prepared"
— Tayl Vizsla, on Iris Arani

OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
PRODUCTION INFORMATION
  • Manufacturer: Black Hand Collective
  • Affiliation: Black Hand Collective
  • Market Status: Closed-Market
  • Model: "Predator" Mk.2
  • Modularity: Can be placed into a variety of optical equipment and armors
  • Production: Semi-Unique
  • Material:
SPECIAL FEATURES
  • Lightweight Sonar mapping tech maps nearby objects up to 15m, Displayed on HUD
    • Useful in low light conditions and\or occluded environments
  • RF-Encoder detects organic lifeforms and tracks them up to 15m, Displayed on HUD
    • Sends over 30 scans in 0.3 seconds, processed via fast AI learning algorithm for accurate imaging
  • Inbuilt droid scanner tracks droid signatures up to 15m, Displayed on HUD
  • Seamlessly scans for friendly IFF transponders, Displayed on HUD

STRENGTHS
ZKM5VDU.png
  • Predator: Through the use of advanced array RF-encoders, The device is able to detect most lifeforms by outputting radio waves and monitoring for feedback. When these low level RF waves are reflected back at the scanner at a higher intensity by striking water(found in most organic life), These waves are put through a series of scans and an AI learning algorithm to produce an image on the user's HUD, allowing them to accurately track most lifeforms up to 15m away even through walls and other obstructions.
95YgK4Y.png
  • Advanced pulse: Updated from it's civil war-era predecessor, The device sends out multiple Sonar-scans and will continue to highlight objects and potential targets as long as it remains active. This allows the user to visualize the environment even through optical obstructions and highlight objects that would otherwise be invisible to normal scanners, such as reflec. This is useful for mapping the user's environment in low light conditions or even visual obstruction such as smoke or, In the case of the prototype's "lab rat", Paint on your visor.

WEAKNESSES
JRqknzp.png
  • "Most": It may be true that not all organic lifeforms(or undead) contain water within their bodies. Such lifeforms may slip past the RF-wave scanner if behind physical obstruction. Furthermore, These scanners have not been configured to detect droids behind obstacles, meaning that line of sight must be established between a droid and the scanner to display them.
d7gy4qp.png
  • Hunter only: The device emits a low clicking sound in short bursts with every pulse in order to utilize it's sonar mapping technology and radio wave encoder, with a new pulse updating the scan every 2 seconds. While close, it is possible that audio detection, organic or otherwise, will pick up the sound while within the scanner's range.
ge7pRUm.png
  • Ionic\Radio: Due to the electrical nature of the device, Sufficient ionic damage or EMP blasts can disable or even break the device. Furthermore, any device capable of outright blocking radio waves could easily hide targets behind physical obstructions.

DESCRIPTION
An advanced armor component developed by Black Hand Collective™, The design is based on the much older Scan-pulse of the ancient Civil war-era militaries. It was designed at the request of the Ex-bounty hunter Tayl Vizsla after a botched attempt at capturing a bounty, in which she was blinded by paint and forced to rely on this dated technology.

When her target fell from a window however, which Tayl Vizsla could not see the environmental danger due to the scan-pulse's Organic only targeting, It became clear that this unique functionality would benefit from some sort of "object visualization".

This feedback from the field was then used to begin the "Predator project", in which the now dated Scan-pulse module would receive updates via RF encoders and Sonar-mapping in order to visualize the environment as well as the target. Now Black Hand clientele can accurately spot targets up to 15m away no matter the visual obscurity, be it walls, bushes, or even optical cloaking.

Last edited:
HPI AI; Terraris Command
Factory Judge
Aloy Vizsla Aloy Vizsla

Nicely made, but it is a Semi-Unique technology. True, the reflec is imperfect, but the Lifeform scanner what you use here is able to detect everything:
Lifeform scanners could also detect beings hidden by cloaking devices, stealth fields, and sound dampeners.
If you want to keep the Minor production scale, please use this Life-form scanner. If not, and you want the keep the current one, in that case, please modify the production to Semi-unique.

Aloy Vizsla Aloy Vizsla

Nicely made, but it is a Semi-Unique technology. True, the reflec is imperfect, but the Lifeform scanner what you use here is able to detect everything:

If you want to keep the Minor production scale, please use this Life-form scanner. If not, and you want the keep the current one, in that case, please modify the production to Semi-unique.

Heya! I've swapped the life-form scanners as recommended, though I'm personally unsure how this changes the overall submission itself?
To my understanding, Reflec is not a sound based technology, and only hides objects from digital scans, right?

This item works more akin to Sonar and natural echolocation, sending waves of sound that have to bounce off of solid objects to provide feedback, etc etc, you probably know more than me, but that's the logic i'm going off of at least.

So in that regard, The only thing really making this device any different from modern day sonar is that uses a digital display to visualize the sonar's feedback. Almost like a blip on a radar, but instead it almost appears like a hologram, but only to the user.

So changelog:
  • Swapped scanners as recommended
  • Cited Reflec as a source
  • Altered language under "special features" accordingly

I could also add an additional weakness regarding it's potential inability to detect targets using sound based stealth tech? If you like. I heard somewhere that those were unbanned.

Anyway, hope that all checks out, if not, lemme know and I'll get on it asap

HPI AI; Terraris Command
Factory Judge
Aloy Vizsla Aloy Vizsla

It was just a comment, the reflec can be used in Mass produced submission too, because they are imperfect technology. Sorry, if I was deceptive. The problem was only the Lifeform scanner's link. The Legends version is able to detect that technology too, which one is able to hide you from sensors+visual technology at the same time. And thank you!

Approved.

Aloy Vizsla Aloy Vizsla | MANIAC MANIAC

This submission has been pulled due to a report. I have re-revieed the submission and my thoughts are as below.

Scan-Pulse

Scan pulse tech highlights the edge of potential targets, even through physical objects
The wookie article for this says the following:

"Scan pulse was a 360-degree pulse burst that revealed enemies that were out of sight."

It doesn't mention anything about being able to see through walls or other physical objects. Can you show me an accepted canon source of it having this ability?

Anti-stealth technology

I'm unsure just how capable this submission is from reading it. Are you saying that it would reveal someone who is wearing a cloaking device? That's how it reads currently, and if this is the case then it will have to be reduced to a semi-unique production status.

John Locke John Locke
Can you show me an accepted canon source

Battlefront(2015) and Battlefront 2 are considered canon. I'm not sure why a video game is considered canon tbh? But for example operation cinder which, to my understanding, existed solely in BF2 for the campaign story, is mentioned in the Mandalorian now.

Scan-pulse in game does exactly what it says on the wiki; It reveals enemies out of sight-

Here is a short video of scan-pulse in game

And here is a link to the game's wiki too. I'm not sure why the official wiki is worded the way it is when it's own sources are the games themselves, but it does describe what the scan-pulse does. just vaguely which makes me kinda sad

If this still isn't acceptable despite being canon though, I think I can re-create the same effects just using the sonar mapper imo, as the sound needed for echo location can travel through and around objects with some limitations. This sub is meant to be two separate components that compliment one another nicely to make a single device, but if you'd like me to tweak the sub more I think I can do it without outright scrapping the sub :)

Are you saying that it would reveal someone who is wearing a cloaking device?
it will have to be reduced to a semi-unique production status.

Mhm! that's entirely my bad and I've reduced production to semi-unique

Aloy Vizsla Aloy Vizsla

Apologies, I thought I'd replie to this.

Thank you for making the change to the production value without me asking.

In terms of the ability to see through walls, this isn't typically something that sonar can do, the sound waves bounce off physical objects instead of passing through the. While it is this way in the game, and the game wiki game wikis aren't something we accept on Chaos. If you can adjust it to achieve what you want using wookie articles that would be for the best. Perhaps it could also use some kind of radiation pulse that can pass through walls?

John Locke John Locke

Heya, did some research based on your suggestion(thanks!) and it led me to an interesting scanner developed by Massachusetts University which I have included under "Primary Sources". I've also updated strengths and weaknesses to match, as well as special features.

I've kept sonar mapping for environmental display purposes, just for finding your way through a dark room or smoke for example, but it has nothing to do with the actual target imaging itself so-

Hope that all checks out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom