Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Misgivings

"I'm sorry, again. About Prince Horace's behavior."

On the surface, Cora's smile would appear delicate and apologetic. As well trained in reading people as he was, Desric would be able to sense the awkwardness simmering underneath her courtly expression.

The Princess-to-be had asked to meet the Senator—or more informally, her friend—in an official capacity to apologize for the dismal turn that the party had taken, and for the insults her betrothed had thrown his way. Desric had seemed to take the verbal jousting in stride, but Cora still felt the need to approach him about it.

As powerless as she was in this situation, it was the only thing she felt as if she could do properly.

Hands clasped behind her, Cora exhaled slowly and allowed her gaze to wander along the hall of the yacht as they walked.

"And thank you for generously opening your yacht to the guests after the party had ended…rather abruptly." Her smile was a little more genuine this time. "I appreciate the hospitality. My cousin Giselle was impressed, I hear."

Desric Terassi Desric Terassi

"Think nothing of it." His lips twitched upwards in an impish smile. "Besides, I probably shouldn't have teased that maggot in public." It was poor form, after all. Not to mention unproductive - unless, of course, the fool had hit him. But no. Despite his many less-than-desirable qualities, the crown prince was not an idiot. Too bad, but it was what it was.

His latest comment was less spontaneous. It expressed his thoughts on the matter, true, but it also made it clear that she could talk freely here. Cadence would not suffer bugs or eavesdroppers aboard the ship. That Cora brought up the party was an amusing coincidence - one of the nobles in attendance had tried to leave a bug behind.

He had no doubt been surprised to find his own bug slipped into his wife's hairdo.

"They were already dressed up. It seemed a shame to go home early!" He chuckled, before nodding at the mention of Giselle. "I am glad to hear it. I got the impression that she is curious about the broader galaxy."

Cora's eyebrows lifted.

"Maggot? Please, Desric. He's to be my husband."

Her tone was entirely devoid of any admonishment, bordering on playfully monotone. One corner of her lips twitched upward in an ever so subtle sign of amusement.

"I'm certain they appreciated it. A shattered chandelier and an arrest is hardly a good note to end any celebration on." She sighed as they meandered, hands clasped behind her back. "Diplomatic talks took far longer than anticipated, but Ukatis agreed to formally join the Alliance. Cultural differences aside, we cannot afford to feed our people without aid."

The aristocracy had suffered a begrudging blow to their pride, but the common folk would not care so long as they had food on the table.

"She is, and I think that is a good thing." Cora nodded at the mention of Giselle's curiosity. "My Uncle Vultan is less strict with tradition than my father—I hope that'll afford Giselle an easier time if she decides to pursue a passion."

Of course, she'd still be beholden to the expectations of a noblewoman.

Her future husband indeed. That was the core of the problem, wasn't it?

Having met the maggot, albeit briefly, Desric had no doubt that he had been involved in arranging the marriage. Somehow that made it worse. For the parents to decide was bad enough, but for one spouse to simply pick the other, irrespective of their wishes? That seemed especially abhorrent to him.

It seemed more akin to slavery than a relationship.

Her comments about the Ukatian position made him nod thoughtfully. He had briefly considered trying to pull some strings to generate interference - holding the procedure hostage, in other words - but it was too important to too many people.

"Ukatis is not alone - in either sense of the word. The Senate should hopefully prioritise reconstruction and the like."

He could not say for sure. There were certainly those who were more concerned with imposing on the unaffiliated.

Smiling warmly at her comment, he nodded again. "As do I." Pausing for a moment, he glanced over at her inquisitively. "How are you doing?" Given what Cora had just said, it should be clear what he was most concerned about.

Cora nodded along to Desric's sentiment about the Alliance's aid to Ukatis.

"Despite the less than ideal circumstances, I can't imagine that the Alliance would go back on their word."

Had she not joined the Jedi and made personal friends among the Alliance, perhaps Cora would've been as scandalized as any other noble during the party.

One corner of her mouth pulled back tightly in thought. Both Desric and Cora were adept at speaking aristocrat, but his prompt was direct and genuine.

Not that Desric had never been genuine before. He quite liked to tease, but had always maintained a good nature towards Cora. In turn, she counted the young Senator among those personal friends she'd made in the Alliance.

And friends check in on eachother after their disastrous, surprise engagements.

"I'm still reeling from the shock of it all, to be honest." Cora gave a light shrug of her shoulders, hands still clasped behind her back. "I was under the impression that my father wouldn't be looking for suitors in earnest until after I've finished my training. But, it would've been foolish and potentially detrimental to my family's standing if he were to refuse a Royal proposal."

She looked to Desric with a tired sort of smile.

"I'm not thrilled, to be plain. I hardly know Prince Horace and he seems…"

Cora let that thought hang in the air, not bothering to fill in the blanks.

He was inclined to agree. To a government as large as the Alliance, the agreement with Ukatis was far less important than the appearances surrounding it. Appearing dishonest (or worse yet, weak) would be problematic.

The Alliance's diplomats would no doubt have certain complaints about the Jedi.

That sort of thing belonged in the backrooms, however. Out of the limelight.

Nodding along as she explained her position, he flashed her a sad smile. It was a sorry situation, to be sure. "... like a complete and utter waste of oxygen?" There was a brief look of amusement in his eyes. "Detrimental?"

Pausing for effect, he eyed her appraisingly.

"Are you referring to lost opportunities for political gain, or something more?" Based on his interactions with Horace, he would not put it past him to apply his influence in highly questionable ways.

He was 'just' a prince at the moment, but one day he would rule as king.

<Unless his father outlives him. ヅ> Cadence noted, the message seen only by Desric.

Cora didn't correct Desric, perhaps because there was nothing to correct.

She took a few moments to consider an explanation of the delicate politics played at court. If anyone would understand how complex things could get, it would be Desric.

"It's more…" She trailed, lips pulling back just slightly into a hint of a cringe.

"The Cholmondeley family gained the throne though vicious pursuit. The current King has proven to be an apt ruler, but those who have opposed or even criticized their rule tend to...disappear."

Cora paused, one brow arched towards him in a knowing look.

"I'm not exactly willing to find out what may happen if they feel slighted. Perhaps nothing, but I've my family to think of. My mother and seven siblings." She smiled, tiredly again, pointedly leaving her father out of the equation. "And the people who live in Ascania territory, as well."

"Are political marriages something that happens on Serenno?"

An unspoken implication. The ever-present threat of violent reprisals concealed beneath a veil of civility.

He had suspected something of the sort, but it was still alarming to hear it said out loud. Still, he knew all too well what she was talking about. He had interacted with Sith in his youth, after all - albeit with the protection of a brother.

What would Adrian do in this situation? If a friend was being pushed into a marriage in this manner? Probably wipe out the entire House of Chalmondeley using Sithspawn or designer diseases. An amusing thought, but hardly helpful.

"I see - and I cannot say that your concerns are unwarranted. Cadence's dossier on the Chalmondeleys do indicate a penchant for reprisals." Speaking of, he gave her an unspoken order to see if she could find out where the bodies where figuratively (or literally) buried. Collecting some dirt on the curs might come in handy.

"As for Serenno, it varies. The interplay between the various houses is... complicated. There are blood ties, ancient alliances, more ad hoc arrangements, and personal acquaintances. Some marry for political reasons, some for love, and some for financial gain, of all things." He seemed to find the latter somewhat amusing.

Delicately manicured blonde eyebrows rose upwards.

"Dossier?"

Of course there was a dossier. Idly, Cora was thankful that she and Desric got along as well as they did. Had they become political opponents for whatever reason, she did not relish the idea of going up against the omnipresent abilities of Cadence.

She swore that she could still feel the bruises from that friendly spar.

Cora nodded along to his explanation of Serennian marriages. They seemed more modern, by Ukatis standards. "I suppose nobility is fraught with political complexities no matter where you go. Who'd have thought that our homeworlds would've had something in common?" One corner of her lips lifted in a partial smile as she mused.

"Marrying for love is considered charming, albeit impractical on Ukatis. Among the nobility, at least. Commoners may still marry for status, but tend to be more liberal in what type of unions they allow."

Had this arraignment not been made, perhaps Cora would've had more of a say, provided she choose from a collection of suitors. Father would still have the final word after all.

"It's unfortunate that the party had to coincide with the Alliance's trip and leave a poor taste in everyone's mouth." Her smile shifted into something a little more apologetic and thoughtful.

"I hate for that to be the first impression of my home, when there's so much more to Ukatis than Prince Horace. We have a yearly harvest festival in my family's territory that people travel from all over Ukatis to attend. Perhaps inviting Alliance personnel might smooth things over?"

Cora chewed at the inside of her cheek. At times she could be fairly naive.

"Unless…it'll just make things worse."

Her gaze flickered searchingly up to Desric.

The only answer to her questioning done was a grin.

Thanks to Cadence, he was well-informed. Almost suspiciously well-informed.

"I imagine there are more similarities still, though the inner workings of the political order seem rather different." Desric firmly believed that the division of power between the Great Houses was a key to Serenno's long-term stability. Too much power being gathered in one had had strong historical connotations with times of strife and hardship.

Ukatis, meanwhile, had traditionally been a monarchy - one with a strong crown, at that.

As the conversation drifted towards the failed party and her ideas about the festival, it would have been easy to respond with empty reassurances, but Desric instead took a long moment to consider it on its merits.

"I do believe that might help. Many of the Jedi would feel more at home, for one." They did not, for the most part, seem the type to enjoy the sensibilities of the aristocracy. "There is some risk of conflict, of course, but it should be easy enough to mitigate it. I doubt the maggot will show up. As for your father... perhaps it is best to keep him and the Nobles apart."

He eyed her questioningly.

"Speaking of, what caused that?"

Cora nodded along, grateful for Desric's input. The Senator had a knack for reading people and situations.

"Oh."

His question brought a flush to her face, and she idly ghosted the fingertips of one hand along the cheek where she'd been struck. The bruise had since faded from her pale features, but a lingering trace of purple had been concealed beneath some tinted moisturizer.

"That's…a bit complicated." She sighed, struggling with a diplomatic approach to such an uncomfortable topic.

"I was not particularly pleased at the news of my engagement, and I believe that Master Kahlil was not particularly pleased with my father's methods of discipline."

Cora waved a hand as if to smooth over the incident entirely.

"Their spat caused quite the stir, but I'll see that it does not happen again."

So that was how it was. In that case, Desric could not fault Master Noble for reacting the way he had, though something more subtle would be been preferable. Surely the Jedi had ways of imposing their will in indirect ways.

The Sith certainly did, that much he had gleaned from conversations with his family.

"I see," Desric said. After giving her a long, appraising look, he continued. "You should not be treated like that. If there is anything I can do to disincentivise such behaviour, let me know. Or contact Cadence directly. She is rather discreet."

Desric was not above applying political or financial pressure or even employing blackmail.

Cadence was likely willing to go much farther, but he preferred not to think about that.

Cora lip's drew upward, just slightly, in a faint but genuine smile.

"Thank you, Desric. I appreciate your offer, and I will be sure to reach out to you or Cadence if I require…assistance. This situation is tricky, but it is my hope that I can navigate it gracefully."

Tricky indeed. Still, Deseic had the ability to influence events like a politician would—a thought she tucked away in case she would need it later. In the back of her mind, she hoped that perhaps Horace would not be such a terrible man after all.

"And how go your senatorial exploits? I've heard that your Reconstruction Act was well received."

Her words were met bit a nod, though Desric would really rather she not have to navigate it at all. He would not wish Horace on anyone, let alone a friend. A shame the man was unlikely to, say, fall into a coma.

Unless Cora asked Cadence for that kind of help. If she did, Desric would rather not know.

"That it was! Despite some early opposition, it passed more or less unaltered." A pleasant surprise, to be sure. When the Chancellor and several others voiced their opposition, he had assumed it to be 'dead on arrival'. "Cadence wrote the whole thing, you know - including the revisions necessary to secure a majority."

"I'm not sure anyone noticed the references to Sirracin's Fourteenth Symphony." A lilting voice intoned. It was hard to say exactly where it originated from; the yacht seemed to be outfitted with speakers everywhere.

Cora's gaze flickered up towards the ceiling, scanning along the wall to try and pinpoint the origin of Cadence's voice. She gave up rather quickly.

"Did it, now? That's good to hear." The blonde nodded approvingly. She hadn't been present in court when matters of policy were discussed, but tried to watch the senate debates when they were televised.

"What would you do without Cadence?" She mused out loud, her words lightly teasing.

From what she could gather about the Reconstruction Act—which had really only been a brief synopsis—it addressed aid to the worlds left behind after the collapse of the New Imperials. Hopefully, the Alliance would be able to rebuild what was lost and curb the potential power vacuum before it had a chance to start.

How could anyone aligned with the Alliance’s ideals be opposed to that?

"I hear that there are…quite a few colorful characters in the Senate."

Desric was still excited about the success of his first major political venture, as was made clear by the almost giddy look in his eyes. If only the Ukatian situation was as simple - to think interstellar politics was the easy part.

"I'm afraid he'd be quite helpless," Cadence smoothly replied, beating Desric to the punch.

Her sing-song response was gently teasing, but he knew she didn't mean anything by it.

As such, he chuckled merrily before responding to Cora's follow-up. "Understatement of the century, that. The Senator of Skako directly said that he was willing to be bribed to change his vote. During a debate. Can you believe it?"

Smiling wickedly, he waved a hand to stress a point. "Then there was the proposal to disarm the Alliance and leave security squarely in the hands of the Jedi. How about it, do you feel qualified to keep the peace in a sector - alone?"

It would have been an utterly bizarre proposal even if the Alliance controlled the entire galaxy, which it didn't.

The fact that the New Jedi Order was considerably smaller than the Order at its height hardly helped.

Naturally, practically no one had supported the bill - not even the pacifists in the Senate.

Cora's face scrunched, eyebrows knitting in a measure of disbelief.

"He openly stated that he'd accept bribes on the Senate floor? Is that…do people actually do that?"

Some of her Jedi companions were known to be blunt, but not that shameless. It was hard to imagine a Senator, representing an entire world, acting as such.

Her look of incredulity melted into a deep frown at the notion of neutralizing the Alliance's massive military.

"I understand the need to divert some military funds to more humanitarian projects in the aftermath of the War, but to leave nearly a quarter of the galaxy's protection up to a handful of Jedi?" Her head shook from side to side.

"I welcome peace as much as the next Jedi, but the Alliance wouldn't be nearly as effective as it is without the military. I've worked alongside them first hand."

A pause, followed by a contemplative look in her eyes as she brought her focus back to Desric.

"What do you think that particular Senator had to gain from making such a proposal?"

Her question was not innocent. Young though they may be, both Cora and Desric were aware of how dangerous the galaxy could be. Even during times of peace.

"One Senator does. The rest are much discreet about it." The curling of his lips made it clear that the statement was partially in jest, but only partially. There were honest Senators out there, but there were also beings that would give even hardened criminals a run for their money. Buying a Senator wasn't cheap, but it was hardly impossible.

Desric was one of the honest ones, of course. At least partially because he was too rich to bribe.

As the situation turned towards the radical, Desric shrugged. "I doubt he expected the proposal to pass. Perhaps he intended to cause debate, or possibly curry favour with pacifists." There was a tinge of uncertainty to his voice. The whole thing had been a bit odd, but then people made strange choices all the time.

He would be doing himself a disservice if he assumed all his peers to be rational.

"It is possible he was attempting to cause chaos, but it seems an odd way to do so. The proposal was doomed from the get-go, after all. The Jedi would need a thousand times the numbers to have any hope of enforcing the peace alone."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom