Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Migrant Fleet (Interest Check)

Leos Palle

L
So, I've been rather taken in with the First Order's setup for fleeting. Yes, they still have admirals who control larger groups of ships, but they also have people filling the lower ranks of their navy that captain ships, and subsequently RP in a similar manner to if they were a squadron of fighter pilots. It is, without a doubt, the most fun I've had fleeting in ages, and I've only barely been doing it so far. I can only imagine it getting better.

But I've noticed it doesn't seem like many others do things this way, which saddens me.

So I wanted to see if anyone was interested in doing a migrant fleet (the faction wouldn't be called that) sort of RP, where a group of ships have come together and they flit throughout the galaxy, from one port of call to the next. This is not a pirate faction, though they may engage in such behavior if justified. It will also never be a major faction, if I have any say in the matter. Basically, we'd be a rag tag fleet of vessels with largely PC captains. Some of the ships would be warships, stolen or decommissioned or bought, and some others would be converted civilian vessels. The populace and crew of these vessels would be people displaced, without homes, with no desire to try and settle down on a world where they'll be treated as outsiders or need to find a job in an overcrowded market. They could be political refugees, war refugees, or refugees from natural disasters. They may even be volunteers. It matters little. There will be children living on the ships too, which adds a layer of consequences to the decisions of the fleet.

If you want to think of it this way, think of what happened in the original Robotech series, or perhaps Knights of Sidonia, where an entire colony lives inside of a ship that is constantly barraged by attack, and must be defended in order to protect the civilians.

As a minor faction we can have PC captained ships up to 1000m, and numerous ships NPC captained under 400. We're allowed one Star Destroyer.

I think for starters, and this would be open for discussion, just like the fleet's name, we could serve as a foe to the First Order's naval advances on their western flank (map left).

Is there any interest in something like this?

Tokrin Lunelle

Galactic Traveller
Well, I was planning on doing something similar with this character, but I never got around to it, so I would love to take him out of the waste basket for this little shindig. So count me in!

[member="Raze Lyter"]

Can't say whether I'll have the direction or activity to contribute, but it sounds interesting in concept.

Personally, the first board I was a part of was just a single ship, so everyone was a crew member. It wasn't a very big board, but it was very close-knit and a lot of fun while it lasted.

Problem with that kind of set up is a lack of cooperation or equal commitment.

Leos Palle

L
[member="Kalla Caranthyr"]
That goes a little bit further than I had in mind! And yes, it would cause problems if you helm suddenly vanishes, leavi g a vacancy in the crew...

Or the scanner lieutenant and first officer are having a row...

Anyway, glad to see some interest. If we can drum up some more we can certainly make this a thing!

Also welcome to the board, Kalla.

HK-36

The Iron Lord Protector (Neutral Good)
[member="Raze Lyter"], I have something similar going with a droid and cyborg oriented faction called the Metal Lords, they are a gathering of roaming fleets of various sizes and compositions, ranging from a single vessel to armadas, so we don't really travel as much together unless it's an emergency or some kind of an important event.

If you'll get your group off the ground we could do some threads together, our two groups meeting to butt heads or meet for some trading or something like that.

Leos Palle

L
[member="HK-36"]
Aye. Heard of yuns.

Need a few more people before I go through with this though.

[member="Raze Lyter"]

You've made your opinions on being involved with a major faction clear in your original post, but I thought I might as well bring up that the Galactic Alliance has a sadly underpopulated component of smugglers and traders that is very similar to this concept, the Merchant Fleet. I get why an association IC with a larger faction, particularly one like the GA, could be troublesome for you or the other interested parties, we maintain a pretty much open door policy in terms of allowing people to explore and innovate in the faction. Basically we let people do what they want as long as it more or less fits thematically within the faction. It would also give you the opportunity to field some ships over the minor faction meterage limit, for as long as you wanted to be involved.

Anyway, even if the offer isn't quite what you're looking for, I very much look forward to seeing what becomes of your project.

Leos Palle

L
[member="Henry Lightinger"] @L'May Darkling
I've abandoned the general concept, but we could move forward with a privateer fleet under the banner of the Alliance and harrass the First Order.

[member="Raze Lyter"]

This seems interesting. However, I'm very new. Is it possible my character would be able to operate with this idea/fleet and still do what I had intentionally wanted him to do? Or I could always fire up a new character that more aligns with your thoughts on this. I'm very excited to see this come into play, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom