Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MH-EW24 Anti-Ordnance EM Probes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Intent: To create Electronic Warfare Technology for Mandal Hypernautics

Development Thread: NA
Manufacturer: Mandal Hypernautics
Model: MH-EW24 “Anti-Ordnance EM Probes
Affiliation: Mandal Hypernautics, Mandalorian,
Modularity: None
Production: Mass Production
Material: Alusteel, Electronics, Power Supply/Battery, Coaxial Capacitor Bank, Ballast Ring, Stage 1 and 2 thrusters, Pulse Shaping Network, Microwave Antenna, Vircator Tube, Dielectric Nosecone,

Description:

The MH-EW24 AOEMP warhead is a self-guided probe launched from a specialized warhead launcher installed upon a capital ship. The probe is programmed to guide itself towards clusters of fast-moving targets using basic RADAR and LADAR systems and identifying red-shift signatures from approaching objects.

Once the probe reaches optimal ranges, it begins emitting powerful Electromagnetic energies in waved pulses. This new beacon of electromagnetic energy overloads the electronic guidance systems of missiles and starfighters within range of the probe, causing them to either shut down or go widely off-course. Larger ships, such as Corvettes, are sufficiently insulated to be relatively unaffected by the EM probe, though minor electrical disturbances may be observed. Similarly, the probe moves significantly slower than a standard missile and is an easy target for the point defense of most capital ships.

Classification: Electronic Warfare / Missile System
Size: Ship-Mounted
Ammunition Type: Missile
Ammunition Capacity: 4-20 depending on installed ship
Effective Range: Medium Range
Value: 1 Missile Launcher

Alrighty,

So let's get down to business.

I have some questions I need answered before I can proceed forward with you on this:

Clarification:
  • How does the missile not fry it's own internal components? Assuming off the description "Once the probe reaches optimal ranges, it begins emitting powerful Electromagnetic energies in waved pulses." To me, it would be best to assume that it would have a forward firing arc, if that is the case it needs to be noted at a 180 degree firing arc. Which brings me to the next question.
  • What are the ranges? Optimal, Effective Blast Radius (We're assuming blast radius because if it acts as an EMP in space, then it would denote a blast radius. Also please keep in mind the firing arc, or blast arc rather.) Also what is the Maximum Targeting Range?
  • Ammo Capacity needs to be clarified a bit more, can you break it down from Fighter to Capital Class vessel, just for clarification purposes.
  • What is the true components and materials list? I'm sorry, I love Stuff, but I cannot use stuff to build things! :p

Two small things, remove fancy from the submission and expand Ewar. Not everyone knows what Ewar is!

Do these things and tag me please when it's done and we'll continue ahead!

[member="Captain Larraq"]

[member="Aaralyn Rekali"]

This warhead is not for use on starfighters, it is intended as a Capital Ship only weapon.

As far as how it manages to not fry itself... I'll be honest... I'm not entirely sure.

America currently has EMP warheads that they have successfully tested. Many of these designs direct a beam of ElectroMagnetic energy either forward or 'down'. However, there are also models that produce a hemispherical field of electromagnetic energy (similar to the earth's magnetic field or any other magnetic field) that runs down the center of the warhead and projects outwards in all directions.

I really don't completely understand the science behind it all, I just know that it works. I would hazard the hypothesis that a warhead projecting a single cone of electromagnetic energy produces a stronger EM effect or produces a longer ranged effect than the hemispherical variant... But that's about as much as I can say on the matter without an engineering degree.

As far as the probe goes, it is a combination of insulated electronics calibrated to be tolerant of the EM effects of the warhead and that the design is intended to project a field 'around' the probe without effecting the electronics at the center of the probe.

As far as effective range goes... Modern technology allows for "a 2000-pound microwave munition will have a minimum radius of approximately 200 meters, or footprint of approximately 126,000 square meters." -Globalsecurity. However, that's the minimum range of such a device using modern technology. A device using StarWars technology could easily produce a 800-1600 meter diameter (400-800 meter radius) EMP effect. (For reference, the MOAB and FOAB bombs had explosion radius's of 150 and 300 meters respectively, which would be 300 and 600 meter diameter explosions and would be comparable to the effects one could anticipate from an Assault Concussion Warhead.)

"Maximum Targeting Range" For all my weapon and Ewar submissions, I base their effective ranges off of the weapon charts in the Star Wars D20 RPG Rulebook. Turbolasers are 'Long Range', Missiles are 'Medium Range', and point defense is 'Close Range'. For Long Range Turbolasers and Heavy Long Range Turbolasers, I specify Very Long Range and Extended Range as the general range guideline.

I've currently got the range of this weapon listed as 'Medium Range'. The probe can travel just as far as any standard missile, albeit a bit slower. As far as targeting is concerned... The weapon targets clusters of targets in a 180 degree cone in front of the warhead. And thanks to the relatively simple targeting systems of the probe, it can target any object in its 'field of vision' at up to 'medium range' from itself. And even though it only has enough fuel to reach medium ranges before becoming ballistic (meaning locked on a forward trajectory at a fixed velocity), the power source of the warhead can remain operable for several hours if the probe fails to activate due to a lack of targets.

Ashin Varanin

Professional Enabler
[member="Captain Larraq"]
No, you cannot have a weapon worth one warhead launcher that creates a field a mile across for knocking out missile and starfighter guidance systems.

Denied on concept.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom