Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Metagaming: It's A Thing, But Not A Thing You Know!

Matreya

Welcome to the handy-dandy guide to metagaming! I'm your host, Qae Shena, and this is the show in which you learn something useful.

What Is Metagaming?
Metagaming is defined by wiki as, in simple terms, the use of out-of-game information or resources to affect one's in-game decisions. This is actually a bad thing, and let me explain why. Now, let's keep in mind that we have out of character and in-character, referred to above as out-of-game and in-game. If you talk to someone over messenger or even out of character forums, that's OOC. If you roleplay it out, that's IC. Got it? Good. Let's get on with it.

Meet Porky the Hutt. He's our new guide through the not-so-wonderful world of metagaming. He's small and fat and adorable and you will love him.

Porky decides to join the Republic as a Senator for his homeworld of Nal Hutta. He's very confident that he and his policies of feeding people to rancors will go over very well in the Senate and he will fight for Rancor justice and not letting them get stabbed in the face by whiny emo kid Jedi. Welcome to the Republic, Porky! We have faith in you!

So, Porky sets off on his grand quest to find out all he can about his new mortal enemy, the Sith, who are invading everything and killing babies, blah blah blah. But oh no, you may say! Porky finds out that Darth Beef, the sworn mortal enemy of rancors everywhere and Dark Lord of the Sith, is about to stage an attack on the Tatooine Rancor Breeding Pens! Can't have that! Porky tells the Republic and they set out on their grand quest to stop Darth Beef. Darth Beef springs his trap - a Death Star - but the Republic had secret intelligence and bring their X-wings and blow up the thermal exhaust port which is only one metre wide and weak only to Rib Missiles that they already had. Darth Beef dies in the explosion and the Republic is victorious! Porky's a hero!

But Porky found this intelligence out from General Chicken, the great strategic mind of the Sith, because General Chicken doesn't like the cut of Beef's jib. They had a chat on Skype because Beef's a bit of a bully to all his faction members and they're sick of Beef's crap, the giant overgrown cow that he is. So they put something in motion to end him. Darth Beef finds this out from Private Drumstick, General Chicken's cousin, and there's a big argument and everyone feels sad.

THIS IS BAD. Nobody likes the sads.

-----

Why Is Metagaming Bad?
Porky found out the super secret out-of-character and used that out-of-character knowledge in-character to his benefit. It basically equates to cheating, and nobody likes a dirty dirty cheater. Porky used something he had no way of knowing in-character, and then went ahead and used it to his advantage. He had no reason to know about the secret Death Star. Darth Beef probably shouldn't have died, unfortunately, and the argument could have been avoided. Porky ends up saying sorry and things get better, though.

Now, on some level, you have to talk out-of-character about stuff with people. Communicating about roleplaying is great and you should all do it all the time. It's when you use what you learned on an out-of-character basis as in-character stuff to get your way that things get bad.

You suddenly know your enemy's secret weakness is the colour pink without viably finding out? Metagaming.
You know exactly which orphanage is going to get burned next all of a sudden and stop them with a huge army because reasons? Metagaming.
You find out who's coming for you over Skype and their secret plan to trap you and you escape because you found out from your friend what's going on? Metagaming.

None of these look good and are very accidentally done. The best way to look at it is 'should my character know this?' If the answer is no, don't do it. Simple as that. It's a form of godmoding, because god knows everything, and you aren't god. It's probably one of the lesser ones, but it's still a thing you should avoid.

Think of it as poor form, less a massive problem. We all like to see good writing, right? So make sure you write things out, reasonably, and everything should be fine.

-----

How's this different from powergaming, o tentacle face?
Powergaming is when you just power through something, hence the name. It's like GMing, kind of, but you're stacking on power like I can do this and this and that and ooh that's gonna be so good at murdering babies and I'LL TAKE THE KITCHEN SINK TOO. That's powergaming. Not taking hits because you feel like writing God is also powergaming - and that is against the rules, kiddies.

Metagaming is abuse of knowledge. Powergaming is abuse of power. Big difference, right? Right.

-----

So hopefully this has explained to you what metagaming is and why you should avoid it. And maybe Porky the Hutt won't metagame next time and ruin someone else's day and he can go back to being rolled down hills and laughed at by the Senate. Silly Porky. Nal Hutta isn't even in the Republic.

Blah blah blah, good stuff, great advice, everyone should read this, and then AND I'LL TAKE THE KITCHEN SINK TOO!

lol

This was very well written, entertaining, and I read the whole thing, despite having a very clear idea of what all those things are. This should be pinned. :)

Lord Daemos said:
[Metagaming] is actually a bad thing

I feel that this isn't the case. As with everything, it all depends on the execution of one's actions.

Lord Daemos said:
Metagaming is defined by wiki as, in simple terms, the use of out-of-game information or resources to affect one's in-game decisions.
The reason why I do not believe that "metagaming" isn't inherently bad is because this statement applies to all aspects of roleplaying. The Character's on this site only act according to the whims of the Writers. Roleplaying involves reacting in way that is convenient for what the Writer wants said Character to do given the circumstances
NOTE: What a Writer wants in a moment is independent on whether it's good or bad for a Character. Typical advice for making characters more interesting is to make them suffer and go through adequate hardship on their way to success (or ruin, if you're very mean to Characters).

Plus, metagaming can provide immense convenience for the sake of fun roleplaying. Contrived Coincidence is once such things that's very prevalent in roleplaying -and very accepted due to its necessity. Why are all of a Faction's player-characters on a planet being suddenly Invaded? Why do certain player-characters always meet in battles despite being enemies and not communicating with each other? How come there's a character everyone knows about and recognizes just because they're a Master?

I say this is constructive metagaming - where Writers are using out-of-game information to drive the entertainment of the thread for their peers. And many times, people will make up justifications for metagaming in this sense. You know an adversarial character's weakness as a Writer? One creates opportunities to reveal the secret weakness to their own Characters in a logical manner. I honestly don't mind such approaches and actually applaud them for doing some thinking and effort.

I do agree that there is abusive metagaming. It's pretty much what was pointed out in the lead. And it happens, and generally makes things unfun. This is why I've adopted the writing style of hardly ever including my character's thoughts unless absolutely necessary. Plus, I never explicitly reveal upcoming twists for my characters until I want everyone to know for certain (Hints? They're constantly dropped for the curious to follow).

Again, it boils down to the execution in how one uses out-of-game information to drive in-game actions.

EDIT: And I just realized this thread was necroed, and there's probably been countless discussions echoing the same things. IIRC, there is a Staff thread buried deep in the aether about metagaming.

[member="Sabena Shai"]: The post itself is very clearly discussing something rather specific that is easily identifiable by almost all writers. While what you are pointing out is technically true, it remains semantic at this point, considering the context.
The term "Meta-gaming" as used predominantly is defined by the negative conduct covered in the post.

Qae Shena

Super Shaper Puppy!
[member="Lord Daemos"]

Lord Daemos said:
Welcome to the handy-dandy guide to metagaming! I'm your host, Qae Shena, and this is the show in which you learn something useful.
Hi.

You reposted this for me after the whole board died.

Also: I was very hungry when I wrote this.

Kezeroth the Malevolent said:
all this could be avoided if everyone engaged with each other OOC wise. Ex Make a IC thread and private OOC thread
Great and wise words from someone I don't know. Communicate with each other and it avoids drama.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom