Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Merlusian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Merlusisan

little_mermaid_by_ksottam-d4fexjl.jpg

Artwork created by the incredibly talented Guangjian Huang.

Name:
Merlusian (Mer used as homage to the source material)

Designation:
Sentient

Homeworld:
No known homeworld, thought to have always been amidst the stars. Certain sectors are charted more than others for their existence. Some Merlusian even choose to live in asteroid belts.

Language:
They speak their own language. Dubbed by outsiders as Merspeak. Known by the Merlusian as Merlucianiase. The language could be described as a series of loud, high pitched screams. Merlusian are capable of speaking at frequencies the average humanoid ear can not hear in their own language. They are also capable of speaking galactic common, their voices taking a very unusually pleasant sound that could be described as singing.

Average height of adults:
From the tip of the tail to the top of their heads, about 3.5 - 5 meters. 9 feet - 15 feet.

Skin color:
Skin color branches off of three main color types:
  • Blues
  • Greens
  • Reds
They are most always pale low contrasted variants and come from a range of colors in between. IE: Pinks and purples.

Hair color:
Murlusian hair is long and silken in it's nature, it grows faster than normal humanoid hair and comes in a variety of colors, most commonly from the same core colors as skin. Blues, greens, and reds.

Breathes:
What makes the species so special, and so rare, is that they breath hydrogen. Which is present even in outer space, the Merlusian's home. While they can be in nearly every type of atmosphere, the species actually struggles under oxygen and nitrogen. In some cases of too much present oxygen or nitrogen, the Merlusian would need technology to assist in breathing.

Strengths:

Strong lungs: They had extremely potent lungs that were capable of holding and processing their preferred breathing substance for extended periods of time.

Flight & Speed: While on land, they are quite slow...When in water or most preferably space, they are very fast. Using their biology and tail to get around at quick speeds. In fact, on the few documented sightings some explorers noted that they do not only not understand how it was feasibly possible for them to move this fast, they conveyed genuine surprise in the speed. It was said by xenobiologist, Kyra Widows, that the speeds were probably around 100 mph. It has never been scientifically documented, however an intern of the university of Sanbra stated seeing a member of the species fly and glide freely under the weight of gravity. She noted in her discovery how the species was similar to the Diathim in this respect, however her findings were dismayed by the council of the old republic until 'further evidence could be documented'.

Beauty: Another aspect of the Merlusian is their feminine traits, which is also akin to the Diathim. There has yet to be a Merlusian of male appearance, which has led for the belief that they all take on the female gender, raising the question of how they reproduce. As for this being a benefit, it is not an unknown fact that beauty helps in the galaxy. And while the Merlusian are a particularly, unique species in terms of their semi transparent body and fins which grow randomly on each one, not to forget the giant tails which vary in length sprouting from the waist of each member. Even so, there is something beautifully rare and unique to them, which is why many pirates have left them alone and in peace. Some events in which they were able to dismay foreign contact could even lead to hypnotic abilities.

Weaknesses:

Isolated: While on the outside this may not seem like such a weakness, the Merlusian are hermits, and as such with little to no contact over their thousand year lifes they have grown to be, uneducated in the ways of 'civilized people'. This is not to say they are uncivilized, as they believe their manners and way of life to be proper compared to that of others. However this isolation has led to them not knowing how to operate common tech, or even speak with the proper slang.

Breath: More importantly, and quite to the point, the Merlusian can't simply breath in oxygen. High amounts and concentrations are almost poisonous to them. They do better with nitrogen, but similar results can occur. They will need assistance on most planets. This is why they stay in space. And for the most part, is why they have lost contact with other sentient species.

Frail: Their bones and muscles are naturally flexible, and have evolved to deal with no gravity or 'working out', however they are still weak and light, it wouldn't be obvious and when in low gravity or anything like it it wouldn't matter, but they aren't built to be strong and they won't be capable of flying on some planets which have dense and strong fields of gravity.

Distinctions:

Tail: The giant flapping thing growing from their waists down is known as their tail, and it is long and beautiful. The tail is the signature of the Merlusian, and it is what defines them to others. They take many different shapes and lengths, and can even grown sharp edges which could be used in combat scenarios.

Skin: The skin is unusual, and can vary from scaly in appearance, to a semi transparent glow where the heart, bones and blood are faintly visible. Something which depending on the person could be viewed on as creepy, or magnificent.

Glow: With a certain race of the Merlusian, some possess a glow to them which usually marks them as rare, yet these tend to actually to weaker, yet more intelligent.

Fins: Ranging from none, to tons. The fins are parts of the Merlusian which help to glide them around. Giving them ways of turning and rotating for help in speed and mobility while in flight. Aside from this, they also evolved to be used in combat scenarios. The fins do not appear sharp though, they do not even take much of a solidity. Looking almost like a beautiful and thick sheet floating weightlessly wherever they will.

Average Lifespan:

ICily, the length of life in unknown. Many believe them to be immortal. That said, the Merlusian live to be around 1,000 years old, and do in fact die. Not many Merlusians will ever make it to old age though, and those that do are very weak. The cycle of maturity is like this:

Infancy 1-50. In this stage, the Mer is in a egg and is growing.

Childhood 50-100. The first sentient moments in their life, is what for most species would be about 1-10 years old.

'Teenage' years 100-200. A long period of time, 10-19 in what most species live, is spent discovering and is for most the most curious times of life.

Adulthood 200-700. The largest gap of their life, spent doing whatever they choose to do. Most die in this time.

Seniority 700- 1,000. No Merlusian has ever been documented to live past 1,000 years of age, and this is considered to be when the body dies.

Races:

The Glowing Ones: The rarer of the two, these are transparently skinned and the weaker of the two. However this member of the species possesses more intelligence, and would be considered of genius status easily.

The Scaled Ones: Not to say these are unintelligent, they possess average intelligence and have sharper fins and tougher skin. Which is mostly covered in scales. These are more abundent than the Glowing ones.

Feral Mer: These are monster like creatures which possess similar features to the Mer, however they are semi sentient and as they are called- feral. These are not pretty and barely could be classified as humanoid, with sharp fins and gruesome faces and bodies. These feral Mer are hostile and will attack whomever interacts with them. It is known they have some intelligence, yet no language is able to be spoken or heard from them, the only noise they make are loud and ear piercing screeches and cries. The Feral Mer could almost be pitied, as they always seem alone and sad, yet no one has yet to interact to discover more. Even other Mer have not made peaceful contact. These are the most abundent and they roam all over outer-rim space. Specifically in asteroids. They are also documented prey to the Duinuogwuin, as they happen to live in asteroids like the dragon-esk creatures.

Estimated Population:

All in all, the Merlusian are rare throughout the galaxy. Feral Mer however seem to be all over outer rim space, but the members that show intelligence are few in numbers. Probably around 10,000 living.

Diet:

What they eat is unknown to the public, and many assume they have no need to eat. Yet they do, and the species feeds on whatever can be found in the galaxy. Smaller Exogorth's living inside asteroids is a common food they eat, which is hunted in groups of Mer. Their favorite food however, and what is considered very ceremonial by some clans, was the Purrigil. Most thought eating these beautiful creatures was evil and instead would befriend them and train them, using them to jump through hyperspace and as mounts in general.

Predators & Prey: I have described what it is the Mer hunt, however they are also hunted. They fear one species more than any other, and this is the Starweird's, a species which they have had long history with. Starweird's hunt and eat the Mer, and their has even been bettles between a clan of Mer to a single group of Starweird. They have also been hunted by Duinuogwuin, however the sentient Mer made peace with the dragons long ago, and agreed that the Duinuogwuin was better off hunting feral Mer. This even led to a alliance between the Duinogwuin's and the Merlusian.

Communication:

They speak like most species, with a unique language. However they can contact one another by howling at loud unhearable pitches from hundreds to thousands of miles away. No coherent messages could be sent this way, just sounds. The way they speak in their natural tongue is very soothing to listen to for outsiders, as it sounds like constant yelps and howls. it could even be described as angelic. For the Feral Mer, they have no language but they do scream and make noise. It is unbearable to listen to, and is one of their ways of defending themselves from predators.

Culture:

The Culture of the Merlusian is widely unknown by even their own people, with the species having memory loss and gaps of memories completely missing in their life. It varies on the race of the Mer as well, the Glowing ones split with the Scaled, and the Feral have been separated from the Glowing and Scaled as far back as any Mer can remember. They do currently have 'cities' built in asteroids and it is run by what they call Magick, which is really the force imbued crystals. The Mer owe most of their cities and technology to the Oswaft, for guiding them and leading them. Even to current times, the Oswaft and the Mer hold a standing appreciation and alliance. The Mer have promised to protect the giant manta like creatures in exchange for their help in creating developed societies. It is known that much of their cities technology are based on living crystals.

Technology level:

Surprisingly, the Mer are fairly advanced. They owe much of this to the extremely intelligent Oswaft, however they are not dumb creatures, and have created many magickal tech themselves via the large amount of crystals they have available to him. Their tech is much different from natural technology though, and relies heavily on the uses of 'magick' and crystals which grant them what we would think of as electricity. However give them anything modern for most every other species and they will be confused and clueless unless instructed.
The Feral Mer are primitive and most advanced groups use sharp stone and sticks to fight.

Home:

The City of Crystals;
MurphyElliott-ME0070C-650.jpg

There is one city where many Merlusian gather. This city's name has long since been forgotten, however it is now called rather simply: The Crystal City. It is very large and it's history is unknown, only that the Oswaft built it alongside the original Mer tens of thousands of years ago. This city is as a reminder of the past, which is something many Merlusian have trouble remembering due to a unknown reasoning.

(I will most likely make location subs for this, just thought throwing them in here was a good idea to expand on the lore)

General behavior:

They are fairly peaceful in nature. The glowing ones more so than the scaled, however none are aggressive without reason. Except for the feral's, these members act out of no reason and attack whatever they see.

History:

10,000 BBY: The first documented sighting of the Merlusian.
800 ABY: The last documented sighting of the Merlusian.

This species is old, so very old that their beginning are lost to history. Many scientists speculate they were in the same family as the Diathim, the original splitting off onto planets and the others living in space. Creating the two separate species. Whether this is true or not is undetermined. The species has held many alliances in it's time, mostly with creatures in space with it, like the Duinuogwuin and the Oswaft. Outside of these, they have made contact with the Jedi order, if only forced. The relations were not great, however they were not terrible. This was during the times of the old republic, and the jedi deemed the Mer as peaceful and let them be. The Sith have also made contact with them, and one member of the species by the name of Zelusia Mari joined them and rose to a sith knight before she was defeated by the Duinuogwuin Jedi Master named Willm Lywin. Ironic right? Other than that, there has been no interaction with the sith and jedi. This instance did confirm that the Merlusian were force sensitive to the galaxy. For most of their history though, they have separated into clans and cities where they live deep in the galaxies outer solar systems, living a life of seclusion and hopeful peace. They have yet to be disturbed, however they are being cornered by the growing galaxy fast, where they used to be in complete seclusion, solar system by solar system the fations have been only growing closer to the Merlusian cities.

Notable Player-Characters:
None currently, I might make one. I'd be so happy if someone wanted to make one with me!

Intent:
To make a space borne species, I like the idea of space being full of life as well. Plus I loved the idea of merfolk being turned into space variants, as I enjoy the fantasy lore of merpeople in general, however I felt the already star wars species of merpeople, the Melodie was not, I guess 'interesting' enough for me. Essentially I didn't think it felt very sci fi. So I made these people!

Nyx

Insert Hilarious Title Here
Azula Feanor said:
Breathes: What makes the species so special, and so rare, is that they breath hydrogen. Which is present even in outer space, the Merlusian's home. While they can be in nearly every type of atmosphere, the species actually struggles under oxygen and nitrogen. In some cases of too much present oxygen or nitrogen, the Merlusian would need technology to assist in breathing.
There's no guarantee that there's going to be hydrogen in space; the vast majority of space is a vacuum, meaning there's nothing there, not even hydrogen.

Azula Feanor said:
Flight & Speed: While on land, they are quite slow...When in water or most preferably space, they are very fast. Using their biology and tail to get around at quick speeds. In fact, on the few documented sightings some explorers noted that they do not only not understand how it was feasibly possible for them to move this fast, they conveyed genuine surprise in the speed. It was said by xenobiologist, Kyra Widows, that the speeds were probably around 100 mph. It has never been scientifically documented, however an intern of the university of Sanbra stated seeing a member of the species fly and glide freely under the weight of gravity. She noted in her discovery how the species was similar to the Diathim in this respect, however her findings were dismayed by the council of the old republic until 'further evidence could be documented'.
How exactly do they propel themselves through space? Just flapping their tail around wouldn't really do much, I'm afraid.

Address these concerns and we can move on.
[member="Azula Feanor"]

The Black Hat said:
There's no guarantee that there's going to be hydrogen in space; the vast majority of space is a vacuum, meaning there's nothing there, not even hydrogen.
The species was made to be in space, so if hydrogen is not going to work then perhaps I could just not mention how they breath in space? As I'm no biologist I don't really know how to explain it. I could make it to where they do not have to breath, again thought apart from copy and pasting from google I'm not a biologist so not sure how much I could explain it. - I was just reading over the purrgil species for the next section and it mentions here

"In order to breathe, these space-whales needed to inhale stores of a specific green gas, Clouzon-36. Once sufficiently provided with said gas, they could jump into hyperspace,[1] an alternate dimension that could only be entered by traveling at lightspeed or faster.[3]"

Perhaps my Mer people could use a similar method, just on a smaller scale.

The Black Hat said:
How exactly do they propel themselves through space? Just flapping their tail around wouldn't really do much, I'm afraid.
I see where you're coming from, and I suppose it doesn't really make sense. I was reading before I wrote this on canon / legends space creatures, and it says they are all able to glide through space using fins and such, so I guess propel is a little fast. Perhaps I can take the whole 'super speed' aspect out.

Thanks!

[member="The Black Hat"]

Nyx

[member="Azula Feanor"]
What I meant by propelling is how do they move in space at all? In order to move in space whatsoever, one must follow Newton's Third Law; every action has an equal and opposite reaction. In order to move in a vacuum, you have to propel yourself forward. For example, astronauts use jetpacks and thrusters, as well as pushing off of debris to move around. If a fish, to use a similar example, tried to swim around in space, it would find it couldn't, as it's tail movements produce no force by themselves.
So my question is how do they swim around in vacuum?

As for breathing, to use the method you provided an example for, the merlusian would have to have incredibly powerful lungs, able to hold and process their preferred breathing substance for extended periods of time.
As such, swap out the 'hydrogen' strength for the new lung strength.

Azula Feanor said:
Surprisingly, the Mer are very advanced. They owe much of this to the extremely intelligent Oswaft, however they are not dumb creatures, and have created many magnificent magickal tech themselves. Their tech is much different from natural technology though, and relies heavily on the uses of 'magick' and crystals which grant them many things.
What are the restraints of this technology? Space mermaids with magic tech somewhat worries me, to be honest.

[member="The Black Hat"] Alright I'll edit in the strong lungs. Thank you.

And I see what you mean, how they would need friction to move around. However it kind of makes the evolution of having a tail useless, and also in wookieepedia in space creature articles they didn't really say how they move around. I don't see how it's necessary to mention, the best I can come up with is, and this is just an idea, but would it be crazy to assume they have the ability to naturally produce air which could propel them? Similar to the jet packs but naturally. If this doesn't work then I can just say they have developed jet packs.

The Black Hat said:
What are the restraints of this technology?
I will take out the use of words like 'very' 'magnificent'. To answer your question, I would say that it is really only mediocre, it's different from the natural tech but it isn't better or more powerful. Their crystals act like electricity, so they power the city and tech. It's only called magick because they don't use the word force, instead using magick, and the crystals were force infused obviously, as they would have to be to produce power.

The Black Hat said:
Space mermaids with magic tech somewhat worries me, to be honest.
I'm sorry.

Nyx

Azula Feanor said:
And I see what you mean, how they would need friction to move around. However it kind of makes the evolution of having a tail useless, and also in wookieepedia in space creature articles they didn't really say how they move around. I don't see how it's necessary to mention, the best I can come up with is, and this is just an idea, but would it be crazy to assume they have the ability to naturally produce air which could propel them? Similar to the jet packs but naturally. If this doesn't work then I can just say they have developed jet packs.
After further thought, I'm alright with this being not explained, given canon precedence.

Your edits for the tech is fine.

Azula Feanor said:
They speak like most species, with a unique language. However they can contact one another by howling at loud unhearable pitches from hundreds to thousands of miles away. No coherent messages could be sent this way, just sounds. The way they speak in their natural tongue is very soothing to listen to for outsiders, as it sounds like constant yelps and howls. it could even be described as angelic. For the Feral Mer, they have no language but they do scream and make noise. It is unbearable to listen to, and is one of their ways of defending themselves from predators.
So, this might be a bit of a nitpick, but sound does not travel in space.
When the Merlusian are in deep space, where there are no atmospheres, how would they communicate? My personal advice is to include some sort of nonverbal language, though if you do have an explanation I am open to hearing it.

[member="Azula Feanor"]

The Black Hat said:
So, this might be a bit of a nitpick, but sound does not travel in space. When the Merlusian are in deep space, where there are no atmospheres, how would they communicate? My personal advice is to include some sort of nonverbal language, though if you do have an explanation I am open to hearing it.
Sound does travel in space just not at a point where our human ears could make out the vibrations. ( http://www.sciencealert.com/sound-can-travel-through-space-after-all-but-we-can-t-hear-it) These Merlusians can create frequencies at such a high pitch that they can hear it just like it travels in space. Essentially, they evolved to be able to hear in space just fine. I could even go to making it a weakness for them to have deficit hearing at normal frequencies.

I hope this is suffice! [member="The Black Hat"]

[member="Azula Feanor"]

Hello, [member="The Black Hat"] has been a bit busy lately so I will be taking over this sub.

Sound does travel in space just not at a point where our human ears could make out the vibrations. ( http://www.scienceal...e-can-t-hear-it) These Merlusians can create frequencies at such a high pitch that they can hear it just like it travels in space. Essentially, they evolved to be able to hear in space just fine. I could even go to making it a weakness for them to have deficit hearing at normal frequencies.
Good, make it so.

"In order to breathe, these space-whales needed to inhale stores of a specific green gas, Clouzon-36.
Perhaps my Mer people could use a similar method, just on a smaller scale.

As such, swap out the 'hydrogen' strength for the new lung strength. As for breathing, to use the method you provided an example for, the merlusian would have to have incredibly powerful lungs, able to hold and process their preferred breathing substance for extended periods of time.
Make these changes.
I might also suggest adding in to their technology some form of "breathing station" they plant around their habital areas to go to in order to "take a breath" if they are not in an area where these specific breathable gasses are naturally occuring.

On a note that has not been mentioned, I am extremely curious as to how these creatures "fly" when in atmo/under the influences of gravity. Thus far they should not have any physical means of flying when they are made and evolved to live in space. I'll either need something written up about their biology as to how they are able to survive in both places or I'll need you to strike out their ability to enter atmo of planets.

[member="Azula Feanor"]

It has been 19 days since your last update to this sub, therefore it is being archived for inactivity.

When you are ready to resume working on it please PM either myself or [member="Valiens Nantaris"] to have it pulled from the archives.

Archived

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom