Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Masters of Forgework; Jensaarai (Open)

[member="Jaedan Fray"] [member="Karren Trask"]

For a day and a night, Veino sat at the entrance of the cave, leaning against the stone so that the duraplast of his armor took on the hue of dirt and mud. He had scratched in the dirt, revealing the remnants of the speeder they had crashed so long ago. He had meditated and ghosts visited his dreams. Some, he recognized, others he did not. But now others had arrived. They were young, one Light and one Dark. Jedi and Sith working in concert. Clever, and an apt description of who the Jensaarai had been long ago, but no more. For the Jensaarai utilized Sith techniques and some philosophy, but they had never been Dark. No, they we're not Dark, but nor were they Jedi.

He opened his eyes and took off his helmet as they approached. One brandished a spear st him, of all things. Peculiar. He shifted his seat so that they could see the light saber on his belt.

"Put away the spear," he said, waving his hand and gesturing them forward. "I am not here to harm you. Nor as part of the trials. I am Master Defender Veino Garn, Warden of Yumfla, and long standing member of the New Jedi Order."

That should have given them quite a shock. While they maintained their independence, they were still affiliated with the Alliance and fought in many battles alongside their traditional compatriots.

"These trials are not to be trusted," he continued. "This is nothing like we have done for centuries and I am suspicious of their motives."

He stood and pointed inside the cave. "I, and a friend, were stranded in this cave for three days when we were younger. He eventually died. And of the many caves in these mountains, you were directed here." He raised an eyebrow. "So I have come to seek the truth of these trials."

Walking side by side with Karren, he acted no different than before even though he would still look for answers regarding the previous experience. Once they came closer to the cave, he peered at the man next to it searchingly unsure of what to believe, his armor looked similar to that of the Jensaraai that much he noticed. Karren beat him to it and asked the stranger who he was, sometimes Jaedan wouldn't speak if he could help it. It was a strange coincidence, this man being here during the test, a Jensaraai claiming they should not finish their test... Besides him, who's to say this is not actually part of the test? Of course it was equally possible the man was telling the truth, something he wouldn't dare to ignore.

It seemed like a likely story, the Jensaraai did seem shady to him, not at all close to what he heard, but to him everyone was suspicious. "Lunatic followers of the dark side threaten to take over the galaxy, worlds are falling apart and one who claims to be part of a jedi order, a master nonetheless is here just to warn us and chase mysteries. That is some luck indeed." he said as his eyes watched him analytically.

"On the other hand the Jensaraai have proved they have no problem in letting us die no matter how brutal that would be, that they would send us here to die would be no surprise to me and while this may all be part of the test, what would they test? Our resolve? Our intelligence? Our ability to asses situations? There is little reason to not consider this."

Jaedan spoke his mind as if presenting the possibilities to Karren, which is, probably, exactly what he wanted to do for he felt not shame in asking:

"What do you think?"

[member="Veino Garn"]
[member="Karren Trask"]

[member="Veino Garn"] [member="Jaedan Fray"]

Karren lowered the spear, seeing his saber. He wasn't lying, she could feel his truth coming across in the force like waves of pure water rippling on a beach. For a moment she paused, closing her eyes and reaching out. Veino was neither light nor dark, but somewhere in between.

Perhaps he can understand the struggles within me?
Turin and the others certainly can't.

When she opened her eyes, it was to Jaedan speaking.

She nodded, feeling the wind of the approaching storms ripple her hair.

"I'd agree. The trials are not be trusted. And I too am curious as to why so much trouble has been spared to send us through them? I can understand testing worthiness, but I cannot understand wanton slaughter. Its barbaric, even for something such as Mandalorian culture."

She locked eyes with Veino.

"What are these trials and where did they begin? Is there no better way to test an Aspiring Forgers worth?"

[member="Karren Trask"] [member="Jaedan Fray"]

Veino raised an eyebrow as the first one spoke. Such skepticism and paranoia. He sighed and rolled his shoulders, trying to loosen up the stiffness that had settled in from sitting against the wall of the cave.

"Die a few times," Veino replied, meeting his gaze, "And you find that your priorities change and you get rather disillusioned about the entire nature of conflict. You can more easily stop a sun from rising above the horizon."

He turned to meet the other's gaze.

"I would caution you against labeling other cultures as barbaric," he commented, "they often have subtleties and complexities invisible to the outside observer." He stood and stepped outside the cave, peering up at the sunlight.

"These trials began in the Dark Times after the Gulag plague," his voice drifted away as he tried to remember the history, "Life was brutal then, and the Jensaarai desired that their new members come only from the very best. But that stopped nearly three hundred years ago. If we found someone with potential, we watched them before offering them a chance to join."

Veino paused to consider for another moment.

"Honestly, if you wished to join, all you really had to was apply through the Jedi Academy Network of the New Jedi Order." He grinned. "Our training academy there is fully accredited to prepare you for a career of your choice, ranging from law enforcement investigation to spacefaring licensures ranging from personal to commercial."

He clasped his hands behind his back as he paced.

"Perhaps you can begin to see my concern with these trials. Why bring back such an old part of our history? Why not use the routes that are already in existence? These are the questions that I have come to seek out. But more importantly--" He turned back to face them. His eyes gleamed silver, and it almost appeared as if a faint silver glow emanated from the intricate network of scars that traced itself across his body. "Why are you two here?"

Jaedan said nothing as he thought about the man's response, it was an idea he wouldn't argue with, if this man indeed had a different way of seeing things it would change a thing or two. The man proceeded to correct Karren, so maybe he was indeed what he said he is, no point in such things otherwise and likely no one would pull out something like this, to go on such lengths only to trick someone. He would see what this is about... For now.

Something was strange about this man, it was just a feeling he got, though if what he says is true, if he is indeed a master and part of the jedi order, it was best to be cautious, there was no telling how this one would react at finding out who he is, nor was he about to tell him, be in the right place at the right time, tell the right people the right things, a teaching that was mandatory.

"To the Jensaraai I came to learn." he said in answer to Veino's question "To the cave I came to prove I am worthy of it."

Jaedan's eyes stared deep into the Veino's "We were told we are to enter separately in it and face whatever it is inside... Is it a dark side spirit?"

[member="Veino Garn"]
[member="Karren Trask"]

Karren frowned.

"The NJO are very short sighted. Believing the Darkside to be an ultimate curse. I belong to the Jedi Order as it is."

Then she paused and continued, watching Veino's tricks of the force.

"I didn't come to join the Jensaraai. I came to learn their arts. And I suspect there is something darker in play here. Shall we investigate? Or would you have me take my leave?"

"To learn is a good thing," Veino answered as he brushed his hair away from his eyes. "But learning is not an end in itself. It is a means to an end. Why would you come to learn from us? I can feel your guardedness, your caution." He turned to gaze into the depths of the cave. A frown etched across his face and his shoulders slumped.

"Worthy?" He half-turned back to face them. "We prove our worth in the everyday crucible of life, not in small trials." He stepped into the cave, hand held to his lightsaber hilt.

"Not a curse, a danger," he added in response to Karren. "Curses cannot be chosen. The Dark Side must be chosen and to choose the Dark is to prioritize one's self above the well-being of the galaxy. It feeds on selfishness and arrogance. That is why we formed the New Jedi Order to combat the Dark Side."

He stepped further into the cave.

"No, come investigate. Let us see what has been left for us. There was no Dark Side spirit when I last visited. My friend died of hypothermia and shock. Nothing more."

Jaedan remained silent for the time being, he considered it carefully yet could not understand what exactly is special about this cave. There was no dark side spirit, nothing else has been mentioned, but then what is it? Just a hazardous place? A little chilly cave? Is this the grand test, to have them use the force to resist in a hazardous place? If so, then this master and his friend would've likely succeeded, there had to be something else inside. He would follow the two as his eyes analyzed his surroundings, it was true he was paranoid... If the word still had any meaning. In times like these his lightsaber would have made for a very good ally to have, one that has no power over itself... One that cannot betray. At least he still had a few assets.

[member="Veino Garn"]
[member="Karren Trask"]

She could feel Jaedan's apprehension, and was sure Veino could feel hers mixing with it. The force swirled uncertain inside Karren, half storm half cool pond, broken by a gentle breeze. She was working over possible scenarios, what was in the cave? Was it something dastardly or a innocent as Veino claimed it to be.

"Very well Master Garn. Lead us in then."

She re-gripped her spear, letting the point fall to the dirt, and hover just above it as her feet clicked over the stones. She followed the two trailing just a little bit further behind than necessary.
Keeping my eye sharp. No telling what the feth these Jensaraai have in mind. Is he part of the trial, or really trying to help us?
Somewhere ahead, she could feel a massive life form shifting around.

Veino stood there as they spoke and contemplated. They was conflict within them and they were not certain of him or this cave. That was good. He wasn't certain of this cave, by any means, and he wasn't thrilled to be back here. It was the place he least wished to on his homeworld, and yet, here he had been drawn back to it, in the interests of the Jensaarai themselves and these young apprentices.

He nodded and after he replaced his helmet on his head, strode into the cave. It hadn't changed, but he could sense something else that had not been there before. Some beast of one kind or another. He unclipped the lightsaber from his belt and held it loose in his hand.

He stared deep into the darkness of the cave, there was a strange presence inside, that much he could feel, what it was however he could not figure, the young man did not show signs of worry as of yet, probably because he was curious. Without looking at the two he spoke his mind "When they are little, children are afraid when they find themselves in the dark... It is not the darkness they fear, but the monsters that dwell within. What it is an enemy for you, for the monster darkness is a shroud, it surrounds it, it protects it, because it is his ally." Uncaring to what the two may say, he made a few steps forward showing he is ready to venture inside if so they were. He was not without fear, but untamed fear was a weakness, and weakness is in the end a death sentence. One can hide them, defeat them, either way, they mustn't be allowed to flourish, nothing should remain unchecked.

[member="Veino Garn"]
[member="Karren Trask"]

Karren still kept back and then she felt it. From the depths of the cave there was a growl, and the smell of reeking meat that had rotted for days. she gasped, maw falling open as a hideous Rancor stumbled forth, claws stained crimson with the blood of other kills. Some of the corpses she recognized as fighters from the arena.

With lips pressed thin, she hefted her spear, shoulder level and set her body into a throwing position. The fear in her heart seeped into her, changing her interaction with the force. Light and Dark hung in the balance, grim determination on her features.

"Feth."

"Well," Veino said mildly, "That was hardly what I had expected." He frowned beneath his helmet and took a step backwards. "How did they manage to import one to the planet?" He took a deep breath and rolled his shoulders, feeling the peace of the Light drape around him like a mantle. He sensed Karren's reaction and held out one hand. "Gentle," He urged, "Be calm. Use your brain. Spears are useless against such creatures. "

He moved apart from the other two watching the beast, hardly recognizing Jaedan's words. He laughed, briefly.

"Perhaps so, but darkness cannot hide infrared." He adjusted his helmet parameters, focusing on the infrared spectrum. But still, he grimaced at the sight of the fresh kills. "This is unacceptable." His voice grew sharp. "Whoever is behind this will be stopped and brought to justice."

There was great conflict within the girl. It surged through the pool of Light that surrounded him, bring disunity and the boy was Dark. Veino took a deep breath and sank into the Force, picturing the sacred pool from his knighting ceremony, and how it was forever still and bottomless. Veino dove into its depth and pulled it tighter around him and he lowered the barriers around his mind, letting the emotions of the others-- Karren, Jaedan, rancor-- flow into his mind. They seethed and surged within his consciousness and he let them sink deep into the pool.

Into the stillness. And as the peace flowed upwards, he sent it out around, much as he had done long before while infiltrating a Sith temple rocked with dark waves of Force madness. It had nearly killed him, but he had returned, and this was a much smaller scale. He could almost see the Light flow out from his mind and pool around his feet before swirling across the cave to the others.

"This cave has seen too much death," he spoke softly, focusing on the beast ahead of him, focusing his entire attention on its tiny mind, filling it with the Force. "There need be no more. You do not belong here. Dream," he whispered, "Dream of a far world untouched predators. Dream of a far home."

The light surged within him and within his helmet, his scars gleamed. The Light had sent a dead man back to the living, but that never came without cost.

[member="Jaedan Fray"] [member="Veino Garn"]

Karren watched in awe as he attempted to calm the Rancor. Veinos own force presence began to bolster hers. A lighter touch came to her mind and she remembered the finer things in life. The taste of good beer, peeling off your socks after a long day in the cockpit, the feel of sand on a sunny beach between your toes.

She stepped back, lowering the spear and fed into the feedback loop, strengthening the connection between her and the Knight. Her breath came deeper, her eyes snapped shut and she surged her own good memories into their connection, pushing the fear and anxiety to the back of her mind.

Through their connection, the glowing Veino now had access to Karrens own energy, able to draw upon her reserves at will to accomplish his needs....

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom