Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Starship Marksman-class Frigate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Image Source: I modified an image of Spartan Games's Artemis-class Destroyer
Affiliation: Galactic Republic
Manufacturer: Galactic Republic
Model: Marksman-class Frigate
Modularity: None
Production: Mass-Produced
Material: Mirrsteel frame, laminated durasteel armor, typical starship components
Classification: Balanced Frigate
Length: 275 meters
Width: 85 meters
Height: 75 meters

Armament:
4 Fixed forward LLT-13 Arbalest-class Mass Drivers (40 capital guns)
4 Double Rhongomyniad-class Mass Driver turrets (2 dorsal, 2 ventral)
2 LLT-8 Triump-class Light Quad turbolasers (1 port & 1 starboard lateral trenches)
6 Quad Laser Cannons
6 Anti-Missile Octets

Hangar:
12 starfighters/starbombers
8 Dropships / shuttles

Special Features:
Communications Array
Encryption Network
Escape Pods
Holonet Transceiver
Standard Deflector Shield Generator
Back-up Deflector Shield Generator
Standard Detention Cells
Standard Life Support Systems
Standard Navigational Systems
Standard Sensor Array
Standard Targeting Systems
Tractor Beam Projectors (2)

Maneuverability Rating: 9
Speed Rating: 9
Hyperdrive Class: 1.5 Class Hyperdrive

Strengths:
-Lots of long-range weaponry

Weaknesses:
-the vast majority of the ship's firepower is tied up in the front arc, making it highly vulnerable to flanking attacks

Description: The Marksman-class Frigate is one of the new Charter Line vessels entering service with the Republic after the cataclysmic events of the Netherworld. Unlike many vessels, the Marksman was designed around its primary weapon systems, a quartet of fixed forward Arbalest-class Mass Driver Cannons. With these weapons, a Marksman is well-suited to attack enemy capital ships from long-range.

The hull of the Marksman-class is built around these weapons, though like most of the Charter Line vessels, it has clear Lantillian influence with its clean-cut, angular lines. Mirrsteel composes the frame of the craft, which is then covered in layers of laminated durasteel hull plating. A hexagonal bridge tower lies near the aft of the ship, which provides the ship's command crews with an excellent view of space to help direct the ship's weapons. The same bridge tower also appears on the bottom of the craft. The lower bridge tower is typically used as a back-up bridge in case the main bridge tower is destroyed. The Arbalests appear to be raised just out of the craft, with two jutting out on the ventral side on either side of the ship, and two more mirroring their same positions on the dorsal side. A quartet of twin-barreled mass driver turrets are equally spaced around the bridge towers, with a twin-barreled mass-driver cannon on either side of both bridge towers. These flexible weapons provide the majority of the ship's firepower if it is attacked from any other angle than the front. Supplementing these weapons are a pair of light quad turbolasers, which provide moderate firepower to track targets that may be too fast for the mass driver cannons to easily track. There is a light quad turbolaser mounted on port and starboard sides of the engine block in a lateral trench. The Marksman does not have any warhead weapons. The space typically used to carry warheads was converted to provide room for two of the Arbalests. Lastly, there is a small mix of quad laser cannons and anti-missile octets spaced equally around the ship to provide it with basic protection against enemy starfighters and warheads, though it typically relies on its starfighters to provide it with better screening abilities.

In terms of tactical doctrine, the Marksman is designed primarily to serve within a group of other starships, as its weakly armed port and starboard sides make it exceptionally vulnerable to flanking attacks. Usually, Republic commanders will keep Marksmans in the rear of their fleets, using their massive mass driver cannons to “snipe” enemy warships before the rest of the fleet can bring their weapons to bear on the enemies.

Development Thread: If needed
Intent: To provide the Republic with a government-owned frigate design
Who Can Use This: Those approved by the Republic
Primary Source: N / A

RESEARCH REVIEW

Star Wars Canon:
Pending initial review

Starwars Chaos:
Pending initial review

WITHOUT DEV THREADS
Pending initial review

WITH DEV THREADS
Pending Initial review

SUGGESTIONS
Pending Inital review

[member="Gir Quee"]

Ok. This seems simple and strait forward. I've read all the links provided and can't find any glaring issues. The speed, armament, and hanger capacity are all very moderate and will not require any development threads.

I do have some quick formatting questions though.

Gir Quee said:
Armament:
4 Fixed forward LLT-13 Arbalest-class Mass Drivers (40 capital guns)
4 Double Rhongomyniad-class Mass Driver turrets (2 dorsal, 2 ventral)
2 LLT-8 Triump-class Light Quad turbolasers (1 port & 1 starboard lateral trenches)
6 Quad Laser Cannons
6 Anti-Missile Octets
I have no idea what you mean by "Lateral Trenches". I'm 100% sure that it's perfectly balanced. But if I don't understand what it is, I'm sure there will be plenty of others asking the same question. Could you please clarify this in the description?

Gir Quee said:
On either side of the bridge towers is a turret carrying a pair of mass driver cannons. These flexible weapons provide the majority of the ship's firepower if it is attacked from any other angle than the front. Supplementing these weapons are a pair of light quad turbolasers, which provide moderate firepower to track targets that may be too fast for the mass driver cannons to easily track.
Can you add in here that the twin mass-driver cannons on either side of the bridge are also mirrored on the ventral side. (which is clear in the image and in the armament list, but not in the description)

Gir Quee said:
Special Features:
Back-up Deflector Shield Generators
Communications Array
Encryption Network
Escape Pods
Holonet Transceiver
Standard Deflector Shield Generator
Standard Detention Cells
Standard Life Support Systems
Standard Navigational Systems
Standard Sensor Array
Standard Targeting Systems
Tractor Beam Projectors (2)

ok. this one isn't so much as required, as it's something that makes my eye twitch. Could you please move the "Back-up Deflector Shield Generator" so that it is below the Standard Deflector Shield Generator on the list?

Gir Quee said:
Hyperdrive Class: x1.5
Lastly, and most important oddly enough, could you please clarify that this is a class 1.5 Hyperdrive and not a "1.5 times normal speed" hyperdrive?

Sorry if I seem like I'm nitpicking, but once we're past these few small edits, you'll be good to go.

[member="War Hydra"], too easy. I think I have it fixed now.

The armament section now has the following change in its description:

A quartet of twin-barreled mass driver turrets are equally spaced around the bridge towers, with a twin-barreled mass-driver cannon on either side of both bridge towers. These flexible weapons provide the majority of the ship's firepower if it is attacked from any other angle than the front. Supplementing these weapons are a pair of light quad turbolasers, which provide moderate firepower to track targets that may be too fast for the mass driver cannons to easily track. There is a light quad turbolaser mounted on port and starboard sides of the engine block in a lateral trench.
I know some of that wording sounds a little clunky, so just to clarify, the following picture shows what I mean by that lateral trench:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom