Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mantics ramblings

Hello GR folk!

First, let me say thank you for offering the trust invested in me to manage the FO-ship of this iconic and awesome faction.
I am truly looking forward to it.
Also thank you to the former staff who pulled through in hard times and managed to keep it all together and then some.

I know we are not exactly in a calm spot right now but in my eagerness to get started I need to put this out there for you to ponder, digest, laugh at or applaud.

Call it food for thought if you will.

Here goes,

Current events
With Gens and Patricias plot the red dawn being ended rather quickly we went from a long and story driven plot into a skirmish like state. While many have expressed feeling on this I have on my end decided to try and use what we got. I want to make it clear to anyone still wondering - There is nothing wrong wth entering the skirmish. I have tried to explain the situation from what I have gathered in this post.
I think and hope I got it all right.

Forum management.
The forum is massive and many have complained about its being hard to find things. I am personally a stream liner myself and will try to merge some things and reorganize some parts of the forum. I will not delete anything if its not obvious that the writer of the thread/post wish for it to happen. Everything will still be here, and things can be put back to the previous state should I make it to messy. However, for a period of time I need to appologize for the mess since the redecoration is a slow process.

The IC leadership of the Galactic Republic is a problem me thinks.
It is very obvious at the moment wth the Prime minister IC turning against the republic. But this also opens up for changes.What I am thinking is to bring the power to the people, or rather the senate. What I mean is that the senators vote on important stuff, like invasions, or other decisions and then that is what goes for the faction. A single senator could debate to invade a sith world for instance. Make his case and then hear the rest of the senators and then they vote. That could lead to more active political RP.

Supreme Chancellor vs Prime minister
I would also like to see the supreme chancellor title returning. Its a freaking great star warsy title after all. The SC would have mandate to veto senate decisions.
The question is if that person should be played by the Faction leadership or not. From my perspective it could be an advantage for the faction leadership to be able to pull the break on times when they know they are not ready to handle an invasion for instance. The leadership can always do that of course but it would be more fun to do it IC.
One can also consider a split role here, with keeping the prime minister as a memer position with the power to appoint key figures within the Republic (like supreme commander) and the Chancellor only having his veto.

Dark or light and the jedi order
Yes, this is a bit of a problem. The GR has seen a large chunk of its active member base, ie the jedi, form a seperate faction. IC still serving the GR so there is really no change, but it still tells us something. Are we or are we not a light sided faction.
Being all jedi with Mantic might make me come off from the wrong direction here but I think this is something worth to discuss. Should we allow dark siders to be members.
OOC members only? No rules against it? Are we a neutral faction.
My suggestion is to keep the jedi order as close to the GR as possible. Have them appear in the senate to advice on matters, but respect that they are their own body.

Power to the companies!
I had this idea for some time but with recent events it makes more sense.
With the recent surge of companies distrusting and even acting against the republic it could be an opportunity to install a new direction for companies in the senate. Have powerful GR companies offered a seat in the senate. Representing an organisation like a senator do a planet. Consider the trade federation in the films as a reference.
Sure it could be a IC gesture to keep them sticking with the republic and might feel like a loss to the senators, but it makes sense to have something happen after this. OOC it would also help clarify what companies are truly working with the republic and provide more writers for fun political debates.

Also, if anyone has missed it [member="Lady Kay"] has accepted to be FA as well. ;)

Finally, new IC leaders for different positions are necessary to install soon. We have been drained on almost all such positions. Stay a bit calm around it and new "promotions" will happen but lets keep it out of this more general discussion.

So, any input on above is highly appreciated. Also feel free to ignore it, at the end of the day it is you who decides how above works in your stories...

Cheers!

So wait, after the Sith leave (it is supposed to be a short raid after all) will we return to the plot of the Civil War? Or is it just permanently screwed? I'll admit I have a Sith alt in there but I was under the understanding it was a quick air raid and I was honestly halfway hoping to get shot down, but it turned into this. Anyway, so is this plot line going to continue?

[member="Mantic Dorn"]

[member="Dish"]

On chazwa? I guess it will be what we make of it. The TU/OS intent and scope feels big but I think we (as in GR writers) consider the clone army a greater threat then they do. So a bit hard to tell.

Or were you refering to something else? (sorry, much floating about so have to ask).

Mantic Dorn said:
Dark or light and the jedi order
Yes, this is a bit of a problem. The GR has seen a large chunk of its active member base, ie the jedi, form a seperate faction. IC still serving the GR so there is really no change, but it still tells us something. Are we or are we not a light sided faction.
Being all jedi with Mantic might make me come off from the wrong direction here but I think this is something worth to discuss. Should we allow dark siders to be members.
OOC members only? No rules against it? Are we a neutral faction.
My suggestion is to keep the jedi order as close to the GR as possible. Have them appear in the senate to advice on matters, but respect that they are their own body.
Speaking as someone who's a bit of a fan of writing rogue/dark characters, I do have a bit of a bias, but I think it would be interesting to see those different viewpoints throw the metaphorical wrench into things and make the more traditional Jedi sit back and think for a second about what defines being good. It would certainly add a new dynamic to things, and, well, the idea of Keira bickering back and forth with Mantic is a bit amusing, to say the least. :p Personal bias aside, however, it would ultimately depend on what would seem the most natural IC. After all, the Republic has always been home to those Force users that identify themselves strongly with the light. This most recent event could have perhaps changed things a bit, but then it would need to be determined if this change is permanent rather than temporary, and then how you would go about judging, ICly, if a darksider is fit to work with the Republic.

Just my two cents.

Popo

I'm Sexy and I Know It
Mantic Dorn said:
Power to the companies! I had this idea for some time but with recent events it makes more sense. With the recent surge of companies distrusting and even acting against the republic it could be an opportunity to install a new direction for companies in the senate. Have powerful GR companies offered a seat in the senate. Representing an organisation like a senator do a planet. Consider the trade federation in the films as a reference. Sure it could be a IC gesture to keep them sticking with the republic and might feel like a loss to the senators, but it makes sense to have something happen after this. OOC it would also help clarify what companies are truly working with the republic and provide more writers for fun political debates.
Alrighty, here you have a problem and before anyone starts going "oh no, it's popo again" lemme point out I do have some back ground on politics in the US and a lot of experience running companies on Chaos.

When you start allowing major companies in the Republic to have a say in politics, you are no longer representing the people of the Republic and are instead representing the Private Sector. What this means is that you'll start seeing CEOs using their new found political power to push corporate agendas like lowering taxes, negating tariffs, lowering wages, raising government support spending, negotiating contractual agreements in their favor, etc.

Will it happen immediately? No, but once enough companies qualify for a seat on the senate you'll start seeing them band together to an extent. Why? Even if they're competing with each other, they're going to see the senate as a "Politicians vs Corporations" and a schism will most likely form.

Even if you limit it to, say, Tier 5+6 companies only, those companies have many, many friends and often have a huge amount of clout based on brand name alone. If Galactic Shipping and Mail wanted a contract to solely control all mail in the Republic Sectors along the Mara Corridor, but a couple of senators blocked it in favor of CHazwa Mail Express? You might see GSM swinging its clout around and causing problems until GSM holds the sole rights to mail shipping in that sector, even up to and including stopping all mail to and from the planets of the senators in question.

If you want to make amends with corporations, handing them the keys to the government will do it, but massively hurt you in the long run at which point you may as well call the faction the Trade Federation with how much power the companies will pull from the Senate.

Kay-Larr

Sphaera Tea Company Owner
What works or fails in one country (like the US), doesn't mean the same will happen in another. Just the same that what works or doesn't work in real life won't necessarily be the same here. It would only be the same as the Trade Federation if the writers write it that way. But they don't have to.

Perhaps a compromise would be that the companies could make suggestions to the Senate and address it as a whole, but it would be up to the Senate themselves to vote on it, the same as all of the other laws and bills. So you'll probably get lobbyists and interesting political intrigues in there with regards to various planets and trade routes, which sounds great to me and could involve minor factions as well in the stories.

Does that make sense or is it just sounding good in my head? The voices tell me so ;)

Popo

I'm Sexy and I Know It
I mean, it's whatever you guys want to do. I'm just pointing out how things could play out in the long run. Senate seats, lobbyists, what have you. Your call.

I just know personally I'll be pulling out of Republic areas IC'ly short of Roche, which has it's own plotline going on right now between Tenloss, Saiba, and Mandal Hypernautics/the Mandalorians. What you guys do is on you. IC'ly Popo is sitting it out and looking after his company :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom