Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech MANPAC Man-Portable Aerial Countermeasure Ammunition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashin Varanin

Professional Enabler
Intent: Man-portable aerial countermeasures designed for use against massed incoming fire
Development Thread: No
Manufacturer: Iron Crown Enterprises
Model: QQ-36 MANPAC
Affiliation: Lords of the Fringe
Modularity: MANPAC is a range of charges/rounds, capable of being fired from any Fringe-standard man-portable missile launcher, grenade launcher, or combat shotgun; it is also available in hand grenade form, and as ammunition for large-bore slugthrowers.
Production: Minor
Material: Desh-terenthium wire mesh, miniature Conner net capacitor, miniature repulsors
Classification: Slugthrower/missile/grenade ammunition
Size: Generally handheld
Length: Comparable to standard shotgun rounds, grenades, or man-portable missiles
Weight: Comparable to standard shotgun rounds, grenades, or man-portable missiles
Ammunition Type: Miniature Conner net
Ammunition Capacity: It is ammunition
Effective Range: Entirely dependent upon the weapon it is loaded into
Rate of Fire: Entirely dependent upon the weapon it is loaded into
Special Features: The MANPAC deploys one or more small, rapidly-expanding Conner nets, designed to function as a short-term barrier to prematurely detonate incoming warheads, grenades, etc. Insulated miniaturized repulsors with basic directional sense allow the nets to remain in the air for several seconds or, if the net does not encounter enemy munitions, minutes. Deployment time after firing is programmable, but usually hard-set to ranges appropriate to the launcher and engagement.
Description: The MANPAC system deploys a small, strong, flexible conductive net with an electrical charge attached.
(+) Will detonate just about any artillery shell or grenade it encounters. It's effectively standard cage armor in single servings.
(+) Conner net function effective against small electronics. Repeated application may be effective against larger electronics. Works fairly well as an antipersonnel stun net.
(-) Does effectively nothing about blast energy or shrapnel. For example, an artillery barrage on infantry, even with optimal conditions and MANPAC saturation, may still turn said infantry to hamburger depending upon, among other things, the point at which the parabolic path intersected the MANPAC nets. Someone close by throws a grenade at you, you fire a MANPAC round, both of you take some shrapnel.
(-) Easily shredded.
Primary Source: N/A

[member="Ashin Varanin"]
Just one question, how do you think this will actually work?

My problem with this is that in order for it to properly function you would have to find the projectile, track it, aim at it, pull the trigger, then allow for the net to expand to actually catch the projectile and detonate it.

This would be incredibly difficult, if not impossible with an Artillery Shell. Lets say you already know the trajectory of the round somehow, which is doubtful, Even then it would be difficult because those things are incredibly difficult to actually see(trust me), granted you could argue your HUD will do that for you...but that's a bit iffy for me. So lets say you know the trajectory of the round, you can see it coming, you would still have to pull out whatever is shooting the net, properly aim it, and fire so the net actually hits and you don't die. Given how fast Artillery Shells move...i don't see that being possible.

I would find this more acceptable when only used against grenades, but again you would have to find the grenade, track it, aim at it, pull the trigger, then allow for the net to actually expand and catch it. By the time all that happens it's very likely that the Grenade would already have landed on the ground.

So, my point is. How do you actually see this functioning?

Ashin Varanin

Professional Enabler
[member="Soliael Devin Talith"] - You're right, that wasn't clear enough. It's designed for use against massed fire, not individual shells. I've clarified the entry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom