Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mandate Removal

Galactic Nomads is broken.

Galactic Nomads
Strength: Once a month, this Major Faction may abandon their current Influence Cloud & Capital Planet and relocate elsewhere on the map as if they were a creating a new Major Faction.
Weakness: The Major Faction may not use this Mandate's strength if the Major Faction is currently engaged in an incomplete Invasion, Rebellion, or Dominion.
The quote above shows exactly why it is broken. It allows factions to relocate as if they are creating a new major faction. This is clearly being abused right now, If a faction gets double invaded (as is currently occuring) all it needs to do is forefeit and move. If a faction keeps doing this, they can keep three hexes with no issues. The faction getting invaded loses literally nothing while the invading factions lose out really good story.

The weakness doesn't offset the strength, that's another issue with this as a mandate. The weakness, if this mandate is kept, needs to be massively changed. Maube make sure a major faction can't move within a 90 day period to help prevent the abuse.

So here's my suggestion. We remove the mandate completely or change the weakness.

Discuss?

Or, just add to the weakness.

"If they have less hexes then a new faction, they can only claim the same amount as they currently own."

Dunno how to word it right, but if they have one hex, they only get one hex. If they had 2, only 2. Three, same deal. More? They only get three.

The mandate itself is perfectly fine, at least I believe it is. It offers a new and more, dare I say, exotic type of 'playstyle' for major factions to help them stand out among the other factions. Currently, the weaknesses for it are broken, though the mandate needn't be removed whatsoever. Merely it needs to be modified as to better balance this playstyle. The current weakness of the Galactic Nomad is rather straightforward but it's also, at least from how I view it, already a given. The current weakness isn't a weakness whatsoever, it comes with the general idea of what a Galactic Nomad would be limited in. I agree with [member="Kahlil Zambrano"], the moving of a faction from one location to another should keep the same amount of hexes that the faction had initially. If you want to prevent it from being abused, I'd say to put a time limit on how commonly something like this could be used. The time limit could be maybe a month or two, a week or two weeks would be too short and would still allow easy abuse of the mandate.

This exact thing was brought up not too long ago (here) and was shot down by Valiens. As much as I agree that a faction with fewer hexes than what would be allowed for a brand new major should not be allowed to regain their missing number of hexes, I can't see that there would be any change in the ruling from just a short time ago. However, I will not point out the flaw to this without at least offering my own opinion on how this Mandate could be tailored or authored to make for more balance overall.

The strength can certainly remain the same, however, like stated by others previously, a Faction should not be able to increase their number of hexes simply for moving to another location. I would suggest that a moving faction should have their influence sphere (hexes controlled) halved (rounded down for odd numbers) at the time of the move. For example:

Prior to move: 6 hexes/After move: 3 hexes (6/2 =3)
Prior to move: 3 hexes/After move: 1 hex (3/2=1.5 rounded down makes it 1)

I believe this would force a Major utilizing this kind of move to be more careful in how they do so instead of falling into an example of abuse which is being pointed to in this thread. Furthermore, I believe it might be okay to make it so that if a Major only has one remaining hex, they are not allowed to use this Mandate since it would be impossible for their cloud of influence to shrink any further. So basically my rework of this particular mandate would state the following:

Strength: Once a month, this Major Faction may abandon their current Influence Cloud & Capital Planet and relocate elsewhere on the map; cannot be invaded for 30 days post move

Weakness: When moving, a faction's number of hexes is halved (rounded down to the nearest number for odd numbers). If a faction would have only one hex remaining at time of move they can not use this mandate. Further,
The Major Faction may not use this Mandate's strength if the Major Faction is currently engaged in an incomplete Invasion, Rebellion, or Dominion.

Alden Akaran said:
This exact thing was brought up not too long ago (here) and was shot down by Valiens. As much as I agree that a faction with fewer hexes than what would be allowed for a brand new major should not be allowed to regain their missing number of hexes, I can't see that there would be any change in the ruling from just a short time ago. However, I will not point out the flaw to this without at least offering my own opinion on how this Mandate could be tailored or authored to make for more balance overall.

The strength can certainly remain the same, however, like stated by others previously, a Faction should not be able to increase their number of hexes simply for moving to another location. I would suggest that a moving faction should have their influence sphere (hexes controlled) halved (rounded down for odd numbers) at the time of the move. For example:

Prior to move: 6 hexes/After move: 3 hexes (6/2 =3)
Prior to move: 3 hexes/After move: 1 hex (3/2=1.5 rounded down makes it 1)

I believe this would force a Major utilizing this kind of move to be more careful in how they do so instead of falling into an example of abuse which is being pointed to in this thread. Furthermore, I believe it might be okay to make it so that if a Major only has one remaining hex, they are not allowed to use this Mandate since it would be impossible for their cloud of influence to shrink any further. So basically my rework of this particular mandate would state the following:
This.

This works perfectly.

Well CIS didn't invade until it got invaded. CIS counter invaded and the invading faction suddenly declared the original invasion to be void.

Secondly, I think who is invading who is sidetracking the discussion. The main discussion point is whether the mandate is worth modifying because it has the potential to be abused. So I think the best is to stick with the original topic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom