Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech Mandalorian Mechamiri Pack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jorga the Hutt

When life gives you Mandos, make Mando'ade
medkit_profile_by_estevesluis-d6vkird.jpg

Image Source: Here
Intent: A small proof-of-concept alternative to ysalamiri.
Development Thread: Putting A Rock In A Backpack
Manufacturer: Rel Connory and associates
Model: Mechamiri Pack
Affiliation: Extremely select customers
Modularity: No
Production: Semi-unique
Material: Mandalorian steel, void stone

Strengths:
  • Ysalamiri are fragile, sessile creatures with specific nutritional needs. A Mechamiri Pack may be almost as heavy as a ysalamir's nutrient frame, but it is much more compact and less unwieldy.
  • It also requires no nutrient refills and is not especially fragile.
  • A Mechamiri Pack cannot get sick or die like a ysalamir.
  • The void stone's aura is weaker with distance, as discussed below. If used properly, this effect can help to entrap Force-sensitives at close range.
Weaknesses:
  • Unlike a ysalamiri bubble, the Mechamiri Pack's aura weakens with distance. Where a ysalamiri bubble would stop lightning in its tracks, lightning would gradually weaken the farther it penetrated into the Mechamiri Pack's aura. For example, if one is wearing the pack and lightning is fired, a weakened version of the Force attack might reach the muzzle of a long gun.
  • Unlike a ysalamiri bubble, the Mechamiri Pack's aura does not glom together with like auras to make a larger aura. Put fifty ysalamiri in a room and you'll get a single, good-sized, more or less regular blob of Force nullification. Put fifty Mechamiri Packs in a room and you'll get fifty overlapping small blobs.
  • Unlike a ysalamiri bubble, the heart of the void stone field does not create an absolute Force nullification effect. It merely makes Force use extremely difficult and greatly reduces the strength of Force effects. A Dark Lord attempting a full-power Force Choke through a Mechamiri Pack's aura would cause nothing more than a cough.
  • Void stone is one of the rarest and most expensive substances in the universe.

Description: During his time on the board of directors of Iron Crown Enterprises, Rel Connory learned of ICE's interest in Otherspace, and developed a proprietary expeditionary transport for Otherspace work, the Voidwalker-class. He was able to secure a few samples of void stone, an unbelievably rare substance found primarily in Otherspace. With only minor experimentation, he placed the samples inside backpacks of Mandalorian steel to make a proof-of-concept alternative to ysalamiri.

There are, however, significant differences. Most significantly, a ysalamir projects an inviolable bubble with a radius of two to ten metres. A Mechamiri Pack projects a gradually diminishing aura of Force nullification. Immediately around the wearer, the Force cannot be accessed; at arm's length or beyond, Force abilities can still penetrate, but in a lessened form. The effect vanishes entirely at a range of seven metres. Though this is unquestionably a serious limitation, a canny Mando can use the diminishing effect to good advantage. Jedi or Sith who are experienced with ysalamiri will likely notice when they cross a ysalamir threshold. Like the old adage about a frog in a slowly boiling pot of water, a Forcer may not notice entering void stone's field of influence, as the effect is initially minimal. By the time they realize they've entered the most effective part of the void stone's aura, even backpedalling will often leave them in a position where their Force abilities are fractionally affected.

Primary Source:[SIZE=12.2222px] [/SIZE][SIZE=12.2222px]Not influenced by any Chaos submissions. Comparable to a standard ysalamir nutrient frame.[/SIZE]

Rel Connory said:
Mechamiri Pack projects a gradually diminishing aura of Force nullification.
According to the article for the void stone, on wookieepedia, the void stone:
The Void Stone had an unusual connection with the Force. Any Force-sensitive person within one hundred meters of the Void Stone would have difficulty using their Force powers effectively. Even those who did not consciously use the Force would suffer from impaired connection to the Force.
Reading the above quote, to my understanding the void stone causes a difficulty in utilizing the force, it doesn't actually weaken the force (as in the force powers post-use) but makes it more difficult to actually use them in the first place. While I like the idea of taking the Ysalamir field and created a more balanced and ideal variation, I'm not certain the void stone, per the information I have available to me, would act in this manner.

I do, however, very much like this idea - is there any way you can see this working, based on the information that canon has for this?

Jorga the Hutt

[member="Braith Achlys"]

I'm going by this line from earlier in the article:

It had the power to dampen the Force powers of Force-sensitive individuals.
That can be interpreted in the way you're assuming; with equal validity, it can also be interpreted in the way I'm assuming. Yay English language. I've polished my description to respect both valid interpretations.

Additionally, my interpretation of void stone has been used as the basis for four previous submissions, specifically Velokite and the other submissions that use, or exist within the context of, Velokite. Just to jog your memory, I'd also point out that you approved all four of those submissions, including the original Velokite. All four of these submissions only work because of my interpretation of void stone.

[member="Rel Connory"]
Alrighty. I have a feeling that between then and now someone must have altered the article, my mistake. That aside, the other submissions which make use of the Void Stone (Velokite-based stuff) all utilize development. If you could do a proof of concept thread, just to showcase this and its effectiveness and what-not, we can move ahead.

Jorga the Hutt

[member="Braith Achlys"]

I've reviewed the Velokite article and found it functionally unchanged.

I'll do a development thread today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom