Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Vehicle Malachor minesweeping main battle tank

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hover_Battle_Tank_AFF_by_ikarus_tm2.jpg

Image Source: http://www.moddb.com.../aia-hovertank1

Intent: To provide a main battle tank that can be used for sweeping minefields and neutralize Force-using enemies around the tank

Development Threads: (for void stones under the old challenge, avoid using the word "the")

- Princess betrothal (30 posts)
- Transfer of power (10 posts)

40 posts total

Manufacturer: Ringovinda StarYards

Model: Malachor minesweeping main battle tank

Affiliation: Open market

Modularity: No

Production: Minor

Material: Durasteel chassis, quadranium/terenthium armor, void stones

Role: Main battle tank, mine sweeper

Height: 2.7 meters

Length: 8.5 m (frame)/11 m (with dual laser cannons fully extended in forward position)

Width: 3.77 meters

Weight: 66 tons

Minimum Crew: Two (driver, sweeper operator)

Optimal Crew: Three (driver, gunner, sweeper operator)

Propulsion: Repulsorlift

Top Speed: 130 KM/H

Armaments:

- 2x laser cannons (can be retracted or extended)
- 2x Korriban heavy machineguns

Squadron Count: 12

Passenger Capacity: Six to eight soldiers can be carried atop the turret, without any comfort

Cargo Capacity: 250 kg

Misc. Equipment:

- Weasel retractable rotating flail
- Mine detector, which extends the rotating flail upon detecting mines
- Other standard tank equipment (integrated rangefinder, communications array, sensor array, electronic countermeasures)

Description: The Malachor minesweeping main battle tank was designed when it became evident during the Stygian Caldera campaign that main battle tanks were vulnerable to Sith Lords and, more generally, any Force-using enemies. As a result, Ringovinda StarYards redesigned the tank's armor to include ground void stones within its inner armor layer. However, in absence of Force-users among an enemy force, its functionality is equivalent to that of a standard Zamboni minesweeping main battle tank. Due to the burst fire nature of the Korriban heavy machineguns mounted on its turret, it is recommended to fire them only one at a time. Nevertheless, they can be targeted independently from the main turret and, since they are slugthrowers, they will not be batted away by a lightsaber.

As with its original, its ability to sweep mines come from a mine detector included inside a retractable Weasel rotating flail. Said rotating flail extends when it detects mines, slowing the tank down to ensure a thorough clearance of the minefield. The mine detector, mounted in the flail's rotor, uses a ground-penetrating radar and an explosives trace detector to detect mines based on ion mobility spectometry. When the rotating flail is extended, however, the main turret cannot be aimed on the 90-degree forward arc or the main cannons will risk being damaged by the chains of the flail.

Strengths:

- Mine sweeper: it is capable of clearing a path for mines
- Can aim secondary weapons independently from the main turret
- Can gradually neutralize Force-powers of any Force-using enemy at the tank's point-blank range as the enemy closes in (ca. 50 meters or so)
- Secondary weapons will not be batted back by a lightsaber

Weaknesses:

- Main cannons' slow rate of fire
- Unstable if flying too high above the ground (can pose a problem five meters above ground or more, and the minesweeping functions become ineffective)
- Cannot be manned by Force-sensitives, lest their Force-powers become ineffective
- When the rotating flail is active, only secondary weapons can be used on the forward 90-degree arc; in addition, the tank slows to a speed where enemy infantry can overtake the tank even at non-forced march speed

Original submission: Zamboni minesweeping main battle tank

ADM. Reshmar

Directorate Officer Fleet Admiral SJC 3rd Fleet
RESEARCH REVIEW
-----
Star Wars Canon:
Pending initial review
------
Starwars Chaos:
Pending initial review
------
WITHOUT DEV THREADS
Pending initial review
------
WITH DEV THREADS
Pending Initial review
------
SUGGESTIONS
Pending Inital review

[member="Reshmar"] Is 130 kph any better for a heavy, main battle tank?

6 in a squadron of Force-dampening main battle tanks can still be acceptable however (although I know its Void Stone-less predecessor was featured in a squadron-sized C-level unit with 12 tanks)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom