Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Making Bank

Neri piloted the small freighter easily through Kashyyyk airspace. Easy because she was welcome. Or at least, wasn't unwelcome. For now at least, the ex-GA soldier was invited and that was all that mattered. She was in a different line of work these days, but the contacts she'd made in the days of the Alliance were perfectly serviceable and she'd managed to convince someone in their agricorps to buy some promising seeds and samples she'd collected. Things with value as foodstuffs and medicine mostly. She'd spent a lot of time lately on several arid worlds, surveying, and had a round dozen options that would be useful in places more conventional crops struggled to grow. If anyone could find a use for that, and had the infrastructure and cashy-monies to make it happen, it was the Silver Jedi.

Well, okay, there WERE other people who could, but right now she was starting with former allies. She'd work up the contacts elsewhere as she went.

The freighter, kind of a clunker if she was being honest, coasted into the hangar she had been directed to. A few minutes later, the woman was ducking out and looking around. A pair of heavy canisters were slung casually over one shoulder. After a brief discussion with landing personnel, she set off in the general direction indicated.

Flipping open her comm, she keyed in a number as she walked.

Dark eyes coasted, scanning- more out of barely considered habit than any real need- as she waited for the line on the other side to pick up.

"Hey, Ichy, I'm here. Where am I going? This place is a maze. Mhm. Uhhhhh I'm by the east hangars the sign says. Yeah I just passed it. Okay. Mhm. Right. No, I know you said left, I was confirming. Yes, left, right? No, just a left. Okay. I'll call you if I get lost. Nah don't apologize, I'm a day early, can't be helped. I'll catch you when you get back, I'm not leaving for a couple of days."

Retired Colonel Ichian had headed to Silver Jedi space after the collapse of the Alliance. The Ithorian had been an anomaly then, but now? Returned to roots she guessed. She knew the plan had always been to head back to Ithor eventually, but with it under the control of the Mandalorians, she didn't blame him for sitting tight here with the Silvers. Besides, he was doing good here and he knew it. Ichy himself wasn't actually on site, halfway around the world, evaluating some invasive species with a wookiee delegation. Not his fault she was here early. So instead she was meeting one of the folks he worked with. A Mister [member="Delaney Wilder"].

A few minutes later found her outside of a door. Pretty sure it was where she needed to be. She pushed the button, and waited for someone to answer.

[member="Neri Rashal"]

"Nah, then I bolted right out of there. See- I am fine with getting punched in the face, but come on, a Herglic? AgriCorps don't pay nearly well enough for facial reconstruction surgery, y'know?"

Some laughter, a bit more muffled talk and then-

"Oh, hold up, Khaz, got a bell 'ere, I will call ya back later."

A buzzzzzzzzz sounded right next to Neri. Then the door slid on open revealing the room behind it. It was... honestly, it was a mess. No other way around it. There were boxes all over the place. Plants on cupboards, on the floor, even some hanging off the ceiling. One quick look would tell her they were well cared for. Nah, that was an understatement.

These plants looked positively happy.

Like.

If they were in a cartoon? They'd probably start singing right about now. "Ey, come on in." A man in a seat, legs casually on the table, munching on some ramen. "Don't mind the mess, will ya? There's probably a seat somewhere here, just mind the babies." The plants obviously.

Once Neri found a seat or came closer to the table Delaney put the box with ramen away.

"Jedi Knight Wilder. Call me Delaney tho. Can I help you, lady whose name I don't know yet?"

Hefting and resettling the two canisters she had slung over her shoulder, she stepped inside.

Immediately pausing to take an appreciative look around.

"This here is where botany fails," she said with a low whistle, walking in but her attention all around her.

"Me? I can tell you all about a plant, all the science behind the WHY and WHERES. But that doesn't give me one iota of skill in how to GROW the things myself." Clearly impressed.

She didn't clear off a seat for herself, but she did move a trio of pots, carefully, so she could unsling the canisters without knocking them over. Upright on the floor they came up almost to her hip, the small lights on the controls of each flashing green, indicating the inside travel conditions were still in optimal range for her charges.

"Neri Rashal," she said then, reaching out to shake his hand. Firm, hands scarred and calloused. "I'm a friend of Ichy. Got some seeds and plant samples for him but he said I should drop them off with you."

[member="Delaney Wilder"]

[member="Neri Rashal"]

"All it takes is love, patience and not being good at much else." Del responded bemusedly, before accepting her hand and giving it a light shake. His hands were rough too. Nails that still had dirt underneath them, no matter the best intentions. Scars lining his forearms from thorn patches.

The usual.

"Pleasure, Neri. Can I call ya that or ya prefer miss Rashal?" Asked curiously and without much of any judgement in it.

The reason for that became clear soon enough. Del had already somewhat forgotten she was there. Already up on his feet. Eyes staring at the canisters. Gleaming with curiosity. "Oh my... I thought you were only coming tomorrow...." that part murmured as he rubbed his hands. "Perfect, just perfect. I was afraid I'd go crazy from waiting, you know?"

To her, but eyes still on the prizes.

"Got any digital samples? I'd rather not disturb them in their sleep, if we can help it."

Now looking up.

Bright smile there. Enthusiastic and neeeeeding. That would be a jackpot for her, that was for sure.

Ca-ching. Neri genuinely liked what she did. Loved, in fact. Oh there were days she hated it. PLACES she hated. But over all, she had no regrets about this particular career change. Hell, her previous life had been all about being able to do something like this some day. But she wouldn't lie and say she didn't ALSO appreciate the cashy monies. Things were tight, and it wasn't like her services were in high demand. Could she make a lot more money as a merc or at a private security firm? Sure. But she was tired and ready to not be holding that rifle anymore.

Her shake was firmer than his, but brief.

"Neri's just fine," she confirmed.

"Yeah I got in a day early," watching him with some amusement. It was understanding amusement. She got it, she really did. She'd grown up on Coruscant where the only plants that grew were either in pots, or algae and moss that clung tenaciously to any change it had. There was something about green and growing things that had always mattered to her, and once she'd had the luxury of choice? It had been a no brainer.

"Going to stick around to catch up with Itchy. Right one has the seeds, left one is the actual tissue samples." Pulling a slim data card out of her pocket, she offers it.

"Holos of the plants in situ, plus scans of all of my notes. Don't take digital notes, can't always count on that, but always back it up that way."

Stepping up after he'd taken it, she keyed in to the left one.

"The seeds should stay in storage until you are ready to move them, but a couple of the samples in here are seedlings or cuttings, and absolutely should be 'woken up'," she says with a smile.

[member="Neri Rashal"]

Making smol grabby grabby hands at the data card, carefully accepting it, before starting to riffle through the stuff on his desk.

Until he managed to make one part of it clear from debris. It had a slot. Card was inserted in and it didn't take long for the computer to do its work. Soon enough there were projections hovering between them. The notes to one side, various plants hovering and Delaney almost salivating as his eyes roamed it all. "Oh oh ohoho. You are really spoiling me here, Neri..." Hand swiping to find a new seed. Then a second one.

"If it weren't for the budget cuts, I would have bought everything."

A sigh there. Then- quickly wiped away at the mention of seedlings and cuttings. "Music to my ears! I still have a few corners that could use some life." Bright smile back, before chuckling suddenly. "Oh, don't worry, I can probably take ... eighty percent off of ya? And I can refer you for the latter twenty. These babies deserve a nice home, and I know plenty of folks with money who can do that."

He waggled his finger at her jokingly.

"Just promise me you will keep thinking of me, whenever you find a new seed!"

Back to the holograms there. Dreamy look there as Del sank back into them.

"One time hardly seems like spoiling. More like buttering up a potential buyer," with a smirk. Owning that without hesitation. Good records were good science, but she could easily shirk on that, or use a shorthand that would make that info virtually useless without a key, or any other number of things that involved holding back on what she had for him. But the point wasn't to hoard knowledge. The point was to spread it. To make it, and the plants themselves, available to other people.

"I've marked entries with an <I> that I think might have issues with being invasive, and noted the areas of concern- if you don't want everything, I'd suggest taking a look at those first and culling out there based on the places you might need something the most. Obviously I can't make promises as to how accurate that'll end up being- educated guesses based on the ecology I've observed. Whatever you do, I'd suggest field trials to see how they respond to new environs."

A grin there.

"Oh, I never say no to a new contact." She had other places she could sell these, but seriously, new contacts were always useful to her. "I can leave the canisters here till Ichy gets back if you two want to hash out a list. Can also do half of a single species if you don't want full seed packets."

Opening the canister, the locks giving way with a hiss. Carefully starting to draw out smaller, transparent vials. Roots carefully encased in a translucent nutrient gel, letting him see easily that each would get as good of a start as possible. No plants in pots with mystery root systems. Instead, high tech, well labeled.

"And that's a promise easily made, Wilds."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom