Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Make Cloaking Ships Unique Or Limited Only

Alric Kuhn

Handsome K'lor'slug
So I was discussing this with [member="Cira"] the other day after she caught winds of some people complaining about some stuff.

I'd like to propose that with the incoming new ruleset we limit the production of cloaking ships to unique or Limited only. That refers to technologies that utilize Stygium, Hibridium, etc cloaking device, not technologies utilized by StealthX's.

I think this should be done mostly because in Canon Cloaking technology is supposed to be _extremely_ rare. In the highest order of canon we literally see it once(Clone Wars, an experimental stealth ship that the Entire Republic only had one of) and in novels it is said to be difficult to create and incredibly finicky.

Personally I believe that alone justifies the fact that Cloaking devices in General shouldn't be all that common place as they are right now.

Making it a new rule seems clunky when we can expand the RM list to all ship cloaking tech requiring a mission and held to Limited production?

That or it goes in the template informaiton under "special features"

[member="Raziel"]

If we are going with limitations, I rather have this in the Starship rules. Something along the lines of:

Stealth Ships (Stigyian, Hibridium, or similar technologies not covered by traditional Stealth X) are a max production of Semi-Unique.

Crystal Grav Trap Technologies or similar are restricted to a max production of Semi-Unique.

Of course, all previous technologies are grandfathered in.

If we are going with expanding the current Restricted Material, we have to consider that all that it currently is for is Stygian -- not any other version of stealth technology like hibridium.

Stygium Crystal (( Objective : Perform a mining operation, a raid, an excavation, or steal to obtain stygium crystals from any of the following planets: Aeten II, Maramere, Kelsier, Enigma Prime, Kazahana Asteroid Field –OR— kill a player character account who has more than 500 posts and get them to verify it.))

The other RM is just for a Personal Cloaking Device:

Personal Cloaking Device (( Objective : Complete a role-play without your character by only describing the scenery and actions of other characters from NPC perspectives without changing the course of the story directly. Ask for permission from the participants before engaging. --OR-- In a public Skirmish, successfully infiltrate and escape from a military base submitted to the Codex by another writer. ))

Alric Kuhn

Handsome K'lor'slug
[member="Raziel"]

I would say adding it to the RM list would work but starship rules would be best since Stygium is only one cloaking method.

I think especially with lack of dev now, we'll see an uptick in cloaking and stealth technology in general so this will be a good counter-point.

Alric Kuhn

Handsome K'lor'slug
Add to the new Starship rules proposed here;

Starships Rules
Here are the general rules and guidelines for Starships.
  1. For rules on what ships can be fielded/owned by a Faction, Company or Individual see Table 1
  2. For rules on what ships can be produced by a Faction, Company or Individual see Table 2
  3. Starship utilizing Cloaking Technology(Hibridium, Stygium, etc) are limited to Unique or Semi-Unique only.

I feel like this is a specific example of a wider part of balance that judges and submitters need to consider. I've seen a few rare techs creeping into mass production ships and being ignored because we've been so focussed on gun counts.

I suggest this:

Particularly rare or powerful special features may necessatate using a lower production (for example: cloaking technology, crystal grav traps and equivalent technologies will be permitted at Semi Unique only)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom