Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech LK Phantom Optical Camouflage System

Status
Not open for further replies.
An_invisibility_cloak_using_optical_camouflage_by_Susumu_Tachi.jpg

[SIZE=11pt]OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]Intent:[/SIZE][SIZE=11pt] [/SIZE][SIZE=11pt]To expand upon a canon tech as a component for later submissions.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]Image Source:[/SIZE][SIZE=11pt] [/SIZE][SIZE=11pt]Wikipedia[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]Canon Link:[/SIZE][SIZE=11pt] [/SIZE][SIZE=11pt]Wookieepedia[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]Restricted Missions:[/SIZE][SIZE=11pt] [/SIZE][SIZE=11pt]N/A[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]Primary Source:[/SIZE][SIZE=11pt] [/SIZE][SIZE=11pt]Wookieepedia[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]Manufacturer:[/SIZE][SIZE=11pt] Locke and Key Mechanics[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]Model:[/SIZE][SIZE=11pt] [/SIZE][SIZE=11pt]LK Phantom Optical Camouflage System[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]Affiliation:[/SIZE][SIZE=11pt] [/SIZE][SIZE=11pt]Locke and Key Mechanics[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]Modularity:[/SIZE][SIZE=11pt] [/SIZE][SIZE=11pt]No[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]Production: [/SIZE][SIZE=11pt]Mass Produced[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]Material:[/SIZE][SIZE=11pt] [/SIZE][SIZE=11pt]Duraplast, Holoprojector, Electronics Components, Image generators, sound reducers[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]SPECIAL FEATURES[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]Through a mixture of technologies the Chameleon provides a stealth system to any armour or droid it is used with.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]Strengths:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]Stealth Providing:[/SIZE][SIZE=11pt] [/SIZE][SIZE=11pt]The system is designed to provide an increased level of stealth to any armour or droid it is applied to. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]Hide in plain sight:[/SIZE][SIZE=11pt] [/SIZE][SIZE=11pt]The system can generate a cloak of colours and patterns that help cover the user in a shroud that the naked eye will just roll over. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]Silent Footsteps:[/SIZE][SIZE=11pt] [/SIZE][SIZE=11pt]The system also incorporates technology that softens noises, allowing a user to move without being detected.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]Weaknesses:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]Damage:[/SIZE][SIZE=11pt] [/SIZE][SIZE=11pt]Any damage to the droid or armour will profounding impact the stealth capability of the system as the image generators and sound reducers are destroyed. Moving the damaged area away from the line of sight will provide some protection as long as the damaged area isn’t exposed.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]Ion:[/SIZE][SIZE=11pt] [/SIZE][SIZE=11pt]The very nature of the system requires exposed electronics in the form of the image generators and the sound reducers. As such the system is very vulnerable to ion blast which can disable the projectors and deactivate the stealth system.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]Fast Movement:[/SIZE][SIZE=11pt] [/SIZE][SIZE=11pt]The faster you move, the tougher it is for the system to adapt to your surroundings, resulting in a degradation of your stealth until such a time as you stop and it can adapt to your surroundings again[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]Sensors:[/SIZE][SIZE=11pt] [/SIZE][SIZE=11pt]The Phantom is an optical camouflage system, designed to help it’s user, droid or armour, to blend in with the environment around it making it harder to see. The system is designed to defeat the physical senses, sight and sound, any sensor not reliant on light or sound will see right through the system since it doesn’t have the capacity to fool those sensors.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]Loud Noises:[/SIZE][SIZE=11pt] The system is unable to suppress sudden or loud noises which will overwhelm its noise reduction highlighting the presence of the user.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]Imperfect Disguise:[/SIZE][SIZE=11pt] The Phantom is not a cloaking device, it is a stealth enhancing component to be used. This is abundantly clear when looking at the image produced by the image generators. This isn't a true representation of the scene behind the unit, but instead looks distorted, the colours also not quite matching up but slightly muted. Fast movements of having to adapt to mixed lighting can further add to distortion as the system tries to compensate for the lighting, causing the image to shimmer and distort until the user moves forward. Rapid changes in the scenery, lights switching on and off, can reveal the user for a moment while the processors adjust to the new environment they find themselves in. Even operating in perfect conditions the system can't make you disappear, it just makes it harder to spot you, light is not being bent around the user, or a perfect hologram being presented.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]DESCRIPTION[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]Sometimes you needed to impressive sight of a killing machine, of an unstoppable hulk of armour barrelling down towards you. However, the engineers at Locke and Key Mechanics realised that sometimes you didn’t want to be seen by the enemy. Sometimes you wanted to find a way to sneak right past them. To that end they went to the drawing board to consider the options available to them. While cloaking fields that completely hid their user were available, they were also very expensive and difficult to build, not the kind of unit that could be used on a larger scale. Furthermore, a cloaking system is not always the tool for the job, and with that in mind they went looking elsewhere. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]The engineers found what they were looking for in a previous technology, almost 1000 years old, the Optical Camouflage systems used during the Galactic Civil War. The system functions by using Phased Array Optical Projectors ([/SIZE][SIZE=11pt]RL example[/SIZE][SIZE=11pt]) to trace out an image to cover the user, allowing them to blend into their surroundings. This isn't the same as a cloaking device by the very nature of it’s function. While a cloaking device has the ability to render it’s user completely invisible to all sensors and the naked eye, the Phantom isn’t so effective at hiding. Instead of complete invisibility it leaves a shroud around the user. The shape of their body is still visible, it’s just covered by an image that helps them to meld into the background so that a cursory glance might run right over them. Of course, a more detailed look would notice that there was something fishy about the scene and might even spot the shape being hidden. The system was never designed to make you disappear, it’s user can’t walk into a crowd and not be seen. It was always just meant to make it easier for you to hide.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]The system also uses sound reducers, functioning through the application of Active noise Cancelling Technology ([/SIZE][SIZE=11pt]Wiki[/SIZE][SIZE=11pt]). The sound reducers work in a similar way to that sound cancelling technology, microphones pick up any sounds made by the user and release exactly the opposite wave to cancel out the noise. This counter wave is generated by small speakers scattered all over the body. Although the system is effective in reducing the sound produced by a user there are limits to it. It can not completely block a noise, but if it’s already soft noise then the system can reduce the sound to effectively nothing. However a loud noise is beyond the capacity of the system to cover up, or an unexpected noise, such as a vase falling over.[/SIZE]

[member="Nadja Keto"]

First, thank you for looking at my submission.

Yes, however, what I'm aiming for isn't a cloaking device so much as an armour system that adds a bit of stealthiness to a suit or droid.

My thought was something like normal camouflage, however one that can shift its pattern and colours depending on where you are. The idea being to break up the shape of the armour/droid rather than cause it to completely disappear. That way, in terms of RP, someone can still see right through it if they want, which isn't possible with a cloak but gives you the option of being sneaky. For example, if you wanted to cross a jungle into a military base the system could shift accordingly so you could feel secure that you weren't going to stand out like a sore thumb.

Throughout the sub I tried to keep that element of fallibility in it, the sound suppressors aren't 100% effective, the optical shroud just breaks up your body shape, but doesn't make you disappear by bending light around you. It's like the picture I used, you can still clearly see the man, but if you're just looking past with a cursory glance your eyes might slip by him. or then again they might not. I wanted to leave that upto the players.

I do understand that it's verging on cloaking but I was hoping that the limitations of the system to truly hide someone would allow it to come in not classed as a cloaking device. Would it be possible to adjust the submission to reflect the intention as such, an advanced camouflage system, without doing a restricted mission?

John Locke said:
Would it be possible to adjust the submission to reflect the intention as such, an advanced camouflage system, without doing a restricted mission?
Certain drawbacks, such as "faint shimmering" in mixed lighting, an imperfect form of invisibility (i.e; slightly distorted imagery), and so on would suffice.

[member="Nadja Keto"]

Apologies for going quiet on you. It's been a rough few days at work. I have added a weakness detailing that the system contains the drawbacks we've discusses and a few more like lighting changes (lights turning on and off, a spotlight being shone on you, would reveal the user for a moment too. Is this what you had in mind? If I need I can make further adjustments.

[member="John Locke"]
Your "Imperfect Disguise" weakness is exactly what I was looking for, thank you. It highlights everything that would separate this from a personal cloaking device.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom