Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Like a Sardine

JEDI TEMPLE
MESS HALL

Corazona von Ascania Corazona von Ascania
Dinner at the mess hall wasn't as awkward anymore.

Unless... it was a day like today.

Every table practically full. No empty tables you can sit at and just... relax and eat. No, lots of people, and they were all feeling things. Osarla Ridor Osarla Ridor would have said it was a good training exercise for him. Sure. It was still hella uncomfortable. He walked around with food in hand and spotted one table where only one other person was sitting at. Oh, that was a relief, it would be easier to deafen the vibes.

"Hey!" He said as he got to Corazona's table. "Mind if I sit here?"

His scar stretched ever so slightly as Sion smiled. This was usually... a bit intimidating, so he had angled his body slightly away from her. It was still there, but at least not... right in her face for the first time.

Sometimes that made people a bit more comfortable.

"Not huge on sitting at tables packed to the brim. Makes me feel like a sardine, y'know."

In the months that passed, Cora had managed to get used to the food in the cafeteria. While she imagined this fare was considered passable by most commoner's standards, the noble Padawan had a more….discerning palate.

As such, it took her longer than usual to consume her meals. With her datapad broken, she had nothing to distract herself with. That was, until a humanoid shadow spilled over her plate of what was supposed to be Chicken a la Alderaan.

Peering upwards, she smiled brightly at the young man, eyes drifting to the scar that covered part of his face. Her expression, well trained in the face of shock and surprise, did not waver. This was the second Padawan she'd encountered with horrific facial scarring, and she was beginning to wonder if this was some sort of unpleasant trend.

"Of course." She shuffled her tray back to make room for the newcomer. "Please, do take a seat."

He seemed nice enough, and Cora was thankful for the interaction.

"When making a request of someone, it is often considered good manners to introduce yourself first." She informed him, politely of course. Cora did not expect a commoner to know appropriate etiquette, so she did not hold this against him. Instead, she offered her own name.

"I am Corazona von Ascania of Ukatis." The declaration was made proudly. "However, you may call me Cora. What is your name?"

Sion Lorray Sion Lorray

He was halfway towards seating when Corazona metaphorically called him out in front of his whole lineage.

His eyes widened.

Sharply Sion rose up once more and bowed lightly towards her. "I apologize, of course. It is an honor meeting you Corazona von Ascania of Ukatis." That... was a really long name. Was she aware of that? Why would you have four words for a last name? Maybe... she was nobility? That could check out, but what sort of noble would be part of the Jedi Order?

"My name is Sion Lorray. Padawan learner."

He was still bending forward slightly in a sign of respect.

"Cora... I shouldn't, a noble of your bearing, perhaps I can refer to you as Lady Corazona? I do not wish to offend you." A second time. Right after being so rude about his name.

Cora smiled graciously.

"A pleasure to meet you as well, Sion Lorray. And a pleasure to meet a fellow Padawan learner!"

She was having trouble figuring out whether he was truly sincere or mocking her in his own way. Since arriving on Coruscant, Cora had found that most Jedi did not follow nor cared for aristocratic etiquette. Some had poked fun at her courtly mannerisms, while others had given her the side-eye. A few had simply shrugged it off.

"I appreciate your attention to status, Sion Lorray. Please, sit."

He was the first person to have actually bowed to her thus far, and Cora did not hate it.

"That will not be necessary, as I've granted you permission to call me Cora. It is my belief that using a shortened version of my name will help foster good will among my new comrades. Of which, you are one."

With one hand, she gestured vaguely while continuing.

"My father is a Viscount; if we were to truly use titles as in court, I would be The Honorable Corazona von Ascania of Ukatis. The title of Lady would only be appropriate for the daughter of a Duke, Marquess, or Earl."

"Tell me, Sion Lorray; where do you hail from?"

Sion Lorray Sion Lorray

It would soon become clear that Sion was earnest.

He did not have a sarcastic bone in his body, but this was something that The Honorable Corazona von Ascania of Ukatis would only discover with time and distance. Once Cora gave him leave to sit, this is exactly what the Padawan did. Crisply, quickly and without further delay. You did not want to annoy a noble.

Sion heard they could be prickly and easily annoyed. This was something Sion wished to avoid.

"Oh, I see. Of course... Cora." Nodding there. "I like your name! Well, I mean your full name, but also the shortened version! Cora!"

Awkward? Sion didn't know what the meaning of that was.

The full name was uttered and Sion's eyes widened a fraction. Letting that settle in he took a sip from his drink. "That... is really a mouthful. I can see why you'd want to be referred to as Cora." A gentle smile there. "Can you imagine someone addressing you like that every time, multiple times during a single conversation?"

Woof.

And Sion would have done just that, if she had made it clear she wanted that.

"Oh. Here... there... everywhere." A bit apologetic there. "I was born in the Outer Rim, but was taken in by the Jedi Academy Network when I was very small. They never told me where I was born or who my parents were. And yo-" Then pausing there as Sion realized. "-you hail from "Ukatis"? That sounds like an interesting place. Do you miss your home?"

Cora looked on as Sion took his seat in a precise and almost militaristic manner. Blonde brows lofted and she tilted her head slightly in approval.

While it remained to be seen as to whether or not he was sarcastic or genuine, Cora would treat him with her courtly manners.

"Thank you, Sion Lorray. You're too kind." A polite smile graced her features. A certain Jand Talo Jand Talo had made it a point to use her full name after she'd given him permission to call her Cora. She had no idea why, and was quite perturbed by it.

Cora laughed softly. "I agree, that would make even the shortest of conversations far longer than they'd need to be!" Fortunately, her full title was only when being introduced at court or during an important gala.

Eschewing one of the most basic of table manners, Cora had placed her elbows on the surface between them, staring at Sion intently over laced fingers.

"Fascinating!" She declared, interested in the varied origins of her fellow Padawans. Some had come from established homes as she had, but many were induced into the Order without knowing who their parents were, like Sion. A few had even been apart of gangs.

"Oh-" Her proper posture softened at his question, and it took a moment for Cora to answer. "Yes, I do. I miss my home and siblings dearly." Her smile acquired a lit of longing, but it made her look more genuine. "I have seven brothers and sisters, you see. All younger, so I worry about them." She was careful to exclude any mention of her parents.

Reaching for her fork, she pushed the remains of her cream of chicken around the plate idly. "Ukatis is a temperate world, though it tends to be on the colder side. Ascania land is mostly used for farming, so we're responsible for feeding the majority of Ukatians." There was a distinct note of pride with her explanation, though Cora failed to note the waning fertility of their farmland, hailing the need for more galactic trade to supplement the poor crops.

Realizing that she was displaying poor table manners, Cora dropped the fork suddenly as if she'd been struck by lightning. It landed with a clatter on the plate, and she quickly ushered it off to the side, shoulders pushed back again.

"My home currently sits on the border of Alliance territory to the south, so we're ah—we're preparing to join the Galactic Alliance as a full member."

Sion Lorray Sion Lorray

A hand gently raised upwards.

"Sion, please, or I can't very well call you Cora." Teasing her there a little before his attention shifted towards his meal. It was a mixture of veggies and fruits making for a bit of a Coruscanti salsa. Meat didn't bother Sion in a theoretical sense. But the older he got, the less comfortable he became with the practice, so he tried his best to eat vegetarian where he could.

He listened calmly to her explanation.

Sometimes Sion wondered how it would be to have a family. Not just a family, but also a place you called home. Somewhere to worry about and constantly have in your thoughts.

"I am sorry the transition has been hard for you." He murmured gently and moved to reach out, squeezing her hand if she allowed it. "My former Master always told me that I was lucky. For being brought into the Order as a babe..." A soft shrug there before withdrawing his hand again. "No attachments, but- I think I'd like having family to worry about."

A little smile to her there before taking a little bite from his salsa. Humming in pleasure, because this was MUCH better than the stuff they had been forced to eat at the Enclave.

"Oh, you don't have to worry about proper eating etiquette." Easy to say for someone who somehow had perfect poise, posture and punctuation with each and every bite he took.

The smile turned into a little bit of a mischievous grin.

"I won't tell your parents. Take it as an opportunity to do things you weren't ever allowed to do at court?"

"Sion it is then." Cora tilted her head in acquiescence.

His hand moved, unexpectedly landing atop her own in a gentle squeeze of reassurance. She didn't withdraw or swat him away, but Cora held to inaction out of surprise. Physical affection was not something she was used to, and even simple platonic touches held great weight.

That, and she was not particularly experienced around boys. Pale cheeks flushed as Sion pulled his hand away, and it took Cora a few moments to digest what he'd been saying. Clearing her throat awkwardly, she sought to contribute to the conversation whilst cradling her hand in her lap.

"Yes, it's...they're a lot to handle but I wouldn't trade them for anything in the galaxy."

Cora's focus tightened on Sion for a moment. Were the corners of his genuine smile lifting into something a little more playful?

She blinked, caught off guard for the second time in a handful of minutes.

"Oh...well, I suppose." The blonde offered her own smile, a little trepidatious now. Her elbows had since left the table, shoulders straightening back to proper posture. "It is hard to shake certain habits, but it is my duty to maintain the manners I've been taught. Father will not be able to find me a good match otherwise."

Sion Lorray Sion Lorray

Sion blinked a little.

It was known that nobility was often seen as a breed apart. No matter the culture nor the species, they did things 'their own way', which often translated to something really karked up clothed up in cultural niceties. Sion knew he shouldn't judge. It was difficult though. Because he felt a pang of fear streaming out of her when she mentioned her father.

"I see." A bit awkward now, because what do you say about that? "Aren't you a little young to be a wife?"

It flooped out of his mouth before he knew what happened.

His hand immediately went to cover up his lips. Eyes a bit wide and flushing with a burning sensation all the way down his neck. "Oh, I am sorry, my Lady, I am. It is not my place to question such things, of course."

He went to take his lemonade and drink from it, one big swallow to give his hands something to do. But unless Sion wanted to empty the entire glass in one go... he had to put it back down and sigh. "I am a bit of a klutsy mess. My mouth talks before my brain does. I uh... can feel..." His hand waves around himself.

"What people feel. Can't shut it off. It makes it difficult to just shut up."

Sion's question had taken Cora by surprise, and still she waved off his apology. People rarely said exactly what they meant in court.

"Please, Sion. You've done nothing wrong."

By now, Cora was used to having her upbringing questioned. She'd become aware that things worked differently on Ukatis, and was grateful that Sion had, at the very least, asked her respectfully instead of scorning her.

That didn't make the subject any less awkward, and Cora shifted anxiously in her seat.

"It is quite normal where I'm from. My mother was married at my age."

That didn't sound nearly as convincing as it had in her head. Fortunately, Father had not made any mention of her intended nuptials since she'd come to Coruscant. For that, Cora was silently thankful.

"I believe that my father intends for me to finish my training as a Jedi first."

Which could take years.

What Sion said next caused Cora to stiffen unexpectedly.

"Y-you can read minds??" She blurted out suddenly in a similar way he'd done when questioning Ukatian marriage rituals.

Her face had gone the shade of a tomato, and for a moment Cora looked like an embarrassed teenage girl rather than a well-bred noble lady.

Sion Lorray Sion Lorray

A slow nod.

No, it didn't really sound any better. The fact that something was done previously and even as a cultural tradition? It didn't make it good now. It probably didn't make it good THEN either. But, Sion was a sensitive sort, fully entangled in the empathy of people around him. He could practically feel her concern and awkwardness about this conversation.

So he didn't point that out.

"Well, just know, you are a Jedi now. You cannot be forced to do something you are not comfortable with, okay?" The Jedi Order would never allow that. They might not have any rules anymore about attachments the way they used to, but. Forcing one of their own into a marriage?

Sion couldn't see that.

"Oh, no." He quickly raised his hands. Concern apparent on his face. "Not at all. I don't know what you are thinking. What I do is... feel strong emotions. And that sounds like I have more control over it than I really do." Sion grimaced there as he thought back to the war. It had been so... difficult to process everything around him.

"I don't really have a choice in the matter. Everyone around me feels things. All the time. And without knowing it, they all project it outward... where it forces itself on me. It's not... very pleasant most of the time."

Would this be the moment Cora left? It would be understandable.

"I can leave if you'd prefer. If you don't feel comfortable with me around, I mean."

Cora blinked. It was one thing to be able to read someone's emotions from their physical cues—that was a natural skill that most beings would develop in time.

While it was a relief to know that Sion couldn't outright read minds, Cora wondered if she'd let her well-bred exterior crack. Was there something about her body language, or perhaps her tone that conveyed a sense of unease with her situation?

Or was this something different?

In the moment, Cora tried very hard not to have emotions. Which was silly, and Sion would feel a spike of anxiety from the blank-faced Padawan.

"No, please. There's no need." She waved off his concern. "You're not making me uncomfortable, Sion." She lied, forcing a smile.

Cora thought for a moment, staring down into her distorted reflection on the surface of the plate. Now that he'd brought it up, she'd recalled that there were several species of near-humans who possessed a heightened sense of empathy.

"You are unable to turn it off? That sounds...difficult." She frowned now, wondering what it was like to be subject to the strong feelings of others wherever you went. Cora looked to Sion with a discerning eye, trying to recall her xenobiology lessons.

"You are...a Zeltron then? Ah, forgive me. You do not look particularly pink."
She peered a bit closer, trying to discern if he had any blush undertones.

Sion Lorray Sion Lorray

She lied.

And he felt it.

He forced a smile of his own.

"I... okay, if you say so." Because Sion wasn't the one to call someone out like that. Maybe Cora didn't want to make things awkward (a bit late courtesy of HIMSELF) or maybe feels were sometimes just... feels. Ugly, awkward, annoying and with little control that could be had over them. "I like you, Cora, I know we barely swapped five sentences around, but..."

Sion shrugged there.

"You are kind. That's in short supply these days." It seemed that the darker the Galaxy became, the more people believed they had to darken alongside it, but Sion felt that was a big mistake.

They could all contribute to lighten it instead. If they... tried.

"It's... not easy." Sion admitted without trying to whine about it. Then- as she got closer, Cora would notice that blush fading into existence. "Oh... well, I am... not, I don't think?" Though, it was an interesting thought, wasn't it? Sion didn't know his parents. Maybe? "I don't know who my parents are, so maybe I got a bit of Zeltron blood in me?"

That... would make a certain amount of sense, wouldn't it?

They were a people full of empathy.

"Must be a very smol portion however. I uh, don't have any pheromones or ANYTHING like that." Adding that quickly, because if she had been uncomfortable before. Pheromones would blow that out of the water entirely.

"I am?"

Cora blinked and sat back. Kind was not a descriptor used often for her. Her aristocratic demeanor had rubbed some of the other Padawans the wrong way when she'd first arrived, an aspect she'd been learning to temper.

Be gracious.

Cora smiled. "Thank you, Sion. You are an exceptionally kind young man."

Her head tilted to the side, examining the other Padawan with a clinical gaze until it hit home that he was stammering because she was making him uncomfortable.

"Oh, I see. I apologize. You do look a little pink to me, but perhaps that is just the lighting?"

She did however, turn red at the mention of pheromones. Cora had never quite grasped what they were. Her xenobiology textbook had indicated that pheromones were often used to impart a calming atmosphere, which could soothe or boost attraction.

Her father believed that Zeltrons were immoral, bawdy heathens who only cared for the carnal and erotic.

Cora didn't know what to think. She had never met one.

"That is…good, I think. That you don't have any pheromones. I think."

Now she was tripping over her words, staring owlishly at Sion. "I don't think I've ever actually met someone of a…pheromone producing species before."

Sion Lorray Sion Lorray

He blinked when she blinked and sat back.

"Y-yeah? Of course you are." Adding that carefully as Sion tried to smile to put her at ease. The comment that he was a kind 'young' man got some amusement out of him however. He was almost certain he was older than Cora. By at least some years. But here she was addressing him like she was a kind old grandma squeezing his cheek.

At least.

That's what he imagined grandmas did. Sion only had stories to go by from the HoloNet.

"Well, I appreciate that." Even if it was amusing, it was still nice that someone... well, liked him. Sure, there were others, but... it was complicated. Osarla was his Master. It would be depressing if she didn't LIKE him. It wasn't a friendship. Cordé Sabo Cordé Sabo on the other hand... Sion still wasn't sure what was happening with THAT.

She confused him so much.

Then there were some of the other Padawans. He barely knew them.

"Neither have I..." He looked down at his hand. Was it really pink-ish? Or was it the light as Cora suggested. It was difficult to tell. Some patches looked really pale and then some were a bit more pink.

The fact he was just flushing like crazy and feeling hot to the touch? No, that didn't make things click for Sion.

"Apparently the average Zeltron can influence people's disposition with them. Make them happy, or peaceful, or uh..." Even pinker. "Well, more passionate. I have been trying to do something like that with the Force?" He rubbed his jaw there, thoughtful. "Like, put people at ease when they panic, but it's really difficult. Can't imagine doing that with just some pheromones."

Really concerning.

Powers like that were dangerous. The idea that someone could just be born with them? Any irresponsible sentient could cause a mess.

"But, wow, we really got off-track here." A nervous chuckle there as Sion looked up at Cora again. "Do you maybe... uh. I don't know. Want to train together sometimes? Could be fun!"

Cora's hands had folded into her lap, nodding along with Sion's explanation. "Yes, yes I've heard that the Zeltron as a species species are quite...er well, they have more carnal tendencies."

Mouth closed, she turned to the side and cleared her throat as her cheeks reddened at the suggestion. She and Sion were quickly becoming twins.

"That being said, I've never been in the company of one." Cora's head tilted thoughtfully, trying to recall if there were any Zeltron Jedi among the Alliance.

"A noble intention." She offered Sion a refined smile. "Easing one's discomfort is a benevolent use of your ability, Sion. I had no idea that you could do something like that with the Force!" Perhaps she should ask Master Noble.

His offer to train was met with a twitch of her smile into something more excited, even prideful. "Why, of course! I would be honored. I daresay that I am quite proficient in lightsaber combat, but I am always looking to advance my skills." Being trained in fencing before she'd become a Jedi had helped her develop certain martial skills. Still, there were other Padawans—namely Jand Talo—who'd wiped the floor with her.

Sion Lorray Sion Lorray

He was right in the middle of drinking from his glass when she dropped the word 'carnal'.

Yes.

Sion did choke a little bit in his water when she said that. Luckily he wasn't a stranger anymore to accidentally choking himself because of circumstances. So, he recovered rather quickly. "I... yeah. Carnal is right." Dabbing his mouth with a tissue to give himself some time to recover. No, he did not particularly FEEL carnal or anything adjacent to that word.

So maybe not a Zeltron?

Then again, maybe not all of them were like that. It might just be that if you grew up on a planet with an atmosphere that exuded sex... well. Things just naturally gravitated in that direction.

Could be it.

"Oh, yes, you can!" Eagerly Sion switched to a more comfortable subject. "It's... well. You need to focus on your connection with those around you. Every person, no matter how isolated, influences those around them. The way you stand, look, speak... they all affect people around you. The next step is to discover the life-web that connects us all."

A shrug.

"If you project a sense of calm through it? It is Force-approximation of a reassuring smile or a squeeze of their shoulder in trying times."

He was speaking with confidence and purpose. A far cry from how Sion had been acting most of the exchange. This was clearly a sign that Sion did have this in him. It... was just difficult to keep it at the forefront. Case in point, he blinked after that last sentence and then flushed a little. "Well, so I think anyway, but-"

It was difficult not to finish that sentence. -but what does a Jedi Padawan know? Osarla Ridor Osarla Ridor had vocally beaten it out of him, but it was still a challenge at times.

"Oh! I am sure you will beat me. I am not that good." Cheerful there. "Perhaps we finish our meal and then cross our sabers?"

Sion would find Cora staring at him with polite curiosity, giving him her full attention as he explained the use of Force empathy and how adjacent abilities could be used. Every so often, she would take a prim, mannerly sip from her teacup.

"How fascinating!" She declared, marveling both at Sion's knowledge and the ease with which he expressed it. "My Master has imparted unto me some of the more esoteric uses of the Force, particularly when it comes to shielding one's mind from malicious intent. We've yet to discuss the opposite."

Raising the cup to her lips, she hummed thoughtfully.

"The way one holds oneself is very important, I agree. A proper noblewoman must project grace and poise, after all."

Another delicate sip, as if to make her point. Influencing those around you, whether they be allies or enemies, was interwoven into the society in which she'd been raised. Sometimes, Cora struggled with it.

"A fine idea, Sion." The younger Padawan tilted her head in a gracious nod. "However, I will not be fooled by such attempts to lessen my guard!"

The courtly smile she wore indicated that her words were in jest. Mostly.

Sion Lorray Sion Lorray

He looked her up and down when she mentioned poise and grace.

It was true.

Cora was the very picture of grace. In comparison Sion felt kind of awkward and gangly. Like if he wasn't careful he'd accidentally trip face-first into his plate or something like that. "Well, perhaps you can give me some lessons on grace and poise." Sion said with a smile. It was very earnest. Maybe in her experience of being teased she'd assume he was kidding.

But it very much looked like he was being serious.

Smile turned into a bit of a grin.

"My Master taught me that half the battle is won before it has even started, so." You can't blame me for following his lessons. "Who is your Master?" Asking curiously there.

It somehow felt like the Alliance had a chronic shortage of Jedi Masters.

Very odd.

The mention of etiquette lessons had earned Sion a polite, measured smile. Cora was certainly still a bit guarded, but that didn't mean that she would be rude.

His comment about mental fortitude rang true. The younger Padawan came from a culture where wars may have been fought with steel, but the everyday battles at court used words for ammunition.

"Ah!" She perked up now, back somehow straighter as if that were possible. "My Master is Valery Noble, Sword of the Jedi!" Cora declared proudly. Being chosen by Valery as a student had been the highest honor for her. Even father seemed to acknowledge the accomplishment with a grunt.

"If I could become even a fraction of the Jedi that she is…" A fond, energetic smile started to curl her lips as Cora gazed dreamily into the distance.

Remembering she had company, she snapped out of it quickly.

"And who is your Master, Sion?"

Sion Lorray Sion Lorray

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom