Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech Lightsaber Focusing Lens Modulator - Special Order

Status
Not open for further replies.
7AzGwv1.png

qm9EqBs.gif

QyXwMdz.gif

• Manufacturer: Party Favors, Cali Ziiva
  • Affiliation: Party Favors
  • Market Status: Closed-Market
  • Model: Lens Modulator Variant X (see below)
  • Modularity: Yes (upon creation)
  • Production: Semi-Unique
  • Material: Various Crystals (e.g. Kyber) including Kimber

k0kCImU.gif

• Variable Activation | Each variant comes with their own modes, but the commonality is that different modes can be activated or deactivated without disassembling the lightsaber. Only if the Modulator's components and lens themselves need swapped for a different variant would reassembly be required.
  • Variant I | Imbued Blade.
  • Variant R | Non-lethal ('Reversible') Blade.

WVCVDbo.gif

• Construction | The effect of the Focusing Lens can often be combined with those bestowed by the Kyber or Kyber-like Crystal(s) of the lightsaber unless the abilities directly counter or nullify either or both.
  • Variant I | A Blade Imbued with The Force is more adept at warding off Force-based attacks (e.g. lightning) and harming Force-based lifeforms (e.g. spirits).
  • Variant R | The blade of the saber can switch between functioning normally, and a non-lethal (reversed) blade mode by crafting the lens from Kimber. When reversed, the blade lacks much of the cutting power of a normal lightsaber; but remains capable of cutting weaker materials (e.g. cloth) and even causing burns (slashing or prolonged exposure). Being struck by the blade can still hurt and stagger an opponent without armor, but most won't lose a limb. A skewering thrust, however, exposes the target to the core of the blade and may result in greater harm at a faster rate. The saber's electromagnetic field remains unchanged even when reversed allowing it to still block other lightsabers.

d9UjZkZ.gif

• Construction | Only one variant can be installed at a time due to the amount of space required within the hilt, and the increasing potential for a misalignment resulting from abuse or lack of maintenance.
  • Variant I | The Imbuement Effect may be diminished or suppressed in certain spheres of influence where the Force is weakened or suppressed.
  • Variant R | While still able to deflect most energy weapons, a Reversed blade cannot stop most slug throwers and other solid projectiles. Furthermore, while the blade is non-lethal to most lifeforms compared to a normal lightsaber, it can and will still injure opponents. It should be wielded with the same care as any other blade.

ZODkd0i.gif

The idea first came to Cali Ziiva of Party Favors when she was on Jedha where she was forced to defend herself against Sith. A lightsaber blade that didn't force the wielder to cause bodily harm would further the aim of a more civilized weapon, and so Variant R formed the basis of the Modulator design. It did take some time to perfect the mechanism that often swapped or altered the alignment or stack of lenses necessary to produce the desired result; not to mention her parlance into information brokerage yielded a choice find among black marketeers -- an introduction to the existence of Kimber Stone crystals. Once the technical challenges of the lenses were dealt with, she realized a reversible blade wasn't the only option for the design.

While a Zeltron is the last to promote war, Cali recognized long ago that people need the means to defend their selves and those close to them. So developing this and other technology to provide people those means doesn't run afoul of her typical free-spirited, fun-loving attitude. That said, not being forced to hurt someone is definitely a plus in her book and influences many of her designs whenever possible.

Last edited:

Krass Wyms

Jedi Tech Division
Factory Judge
Cali Ziiva Cali Ziiva

An interesting take for a variable lens. There will just be one or two things

Variant I | A Blade Imbued with The Force is more adept at warding off Force-based attacks (e.g. lightning) and harming Force-based lifeforms (e.g. spirits).

Unfortunately per factory rules

Generally speaking the more powerful the submission becomes, the less of them there should be. The production range of a submission with alchemy or nanotechnology ranges between Unique and Minor. Please use the history and other parts of the submission to flesh out its power and potency. A Factory Judge is allowed to ask for more depth, if they believe that the submission needs a little bit more work to it.

Force enhancing it means it cannot be mass produced.

Fully constructed Lightsabers and Forcesabers are restricted to a maximum of Semi-Unique production.

As this rule is in place I would say lower production more since it won't be used it larger productions then semi-unique.

Variant P | Using a reflecting chamber of sorts, multiple smaller lenses result in a more powerful beam able to cut through materials traditional sabers would find difficult to otherwise.

Lightsaber cutting power wasn't just the lens it was also the power source in the saber. Making the blade more focused to get through saber resistant materials took power and time. The lens can help focus it but this should benoted as needing such things to accurately improve the cutting power.

Variant R | The blade of the saber can switch between functioning normally, and a reversed blade mode. When reversed, the blade does not cut through solid material. Instead it is capable of passing through most of the same materials as a traditional blade without any lasting physical damage; however, organic lifeforms are subject to the temporary loss of feeling in extremities and/or sharp pains when struck by the blade. Droids likewise suffer from disruptions caused by short circuits in contact with the blade. The saber's electromagnetic field remains unchanged even when reversed allowing it to still block other lightsabers.

Do you have a canon example of such a thing being done?

Hello Krass Wyms Krass Wyms

Perhaps I could create a second submission for Variant I and R that's semi-unique, and then the rest are Mass Produced? While my character wants Variant R, some other characters might like to purchase the other Variants and that's the only concern I have with using semi-unique for all variants.

There's no canon reference to having a lightsaber that passes through matter without messing it up. Closest I know of (though I don't have a lot of EU knowledge) is a training saber being on a lower power -- but even they don't pass through matter, just hurt a whole lot less.

My idea behind the Variant R working is the crystal used for the focusing lens is a special kind that 'phases' the energy (or alters its properties) so it doesn't interact with matter like normal plasma. Kind of like a ghost-blade of sorts? The real inspiration for the idea is from Rouroni Kenshin and his reversible blade, which he used the blunt side to disable but not kill foes. And I should put that in the post as a source, don't know why I didn't do that.

I'll add a note for Variant P.

Krass Wyms

Jedi Tech Division
Factory Judge
Cali Ziiva Cali Ziiva

Perhaps I could create a second submission for Variant I and R that's semi-unique, and then the rest are Mass Produced? While my character wants Variant R, some other characters might like to purchase the other Variants and that's the only concern I have with using semi-unique for all variants.

yes you can create it.

As to the reverse blade idea, an adjustment setting for the power to make it like a training blade would achieve the same effect. The few instances of a lightsaber blade altering its blade properties is rare and it usually meant it could do something but couldn't do another. Luke altered the blade to be able to deflect ion beamers but blasters couldn't be deflected afterwards.

Krass Wyms Krass Wyms

I split the Variants in Standard (Mass Produced) and Special Order (Semi-Unique).

The reversed blade aspect to a saber I was thinking about be a crystal that alters the properties so it doesn't cut/interact with solid matter, but can disrupt chemical/electrical signals when exposed to the blade resulting in the stunning/numbing/shorting effect it has. The weakness of the blade when in this mode is it can't stop any physical attacks (like a slug or vibroblade). The field normally around a saber is present, but would be lower energy as well which is why it can't block physical attacks (and why it doesn't even cause low burns on contact). The wielder has to choose between a lightsaber able to deflect and cut, or a more non-lethal saber that can't defend (except against other sabers because of the interaction of the fields, and lightning/energy-based attacks). I could increase the weakness further so it doesn't deflect blasters as well if that is preferred.

Surprising good news (if you accept) I found reference to a Kimber Stone from the Star Wars: Force and Destiny RPG's Keeping the Peace Sourcebook. Wookiepedia lists it as a Legends Canon, and describes the RPG as a whole influence by both Legends and Disney (published in 2015). Publisher's site and a forum thread discussing it (a little more detail on how it's used in game).

Kimber Stones are lightsaber crystals produced from volcanic activity on the moon of Y'ness, which produce a non-lethal blade.

Please let me know if the above is suited to the application (then I'll add details from the above in an edit), if not then I'll retool the concept. I appreciate the desire to make sure lightsabers don't turn into this Famed YouTube video, being an iconic weapon of the setting.

(Wrong account used above, edited but didn't retag)

Krass Wyms

Jedi Tech Division
Factory Judge
Cali Ziiva Cali Ziiva

the kimber stone makes a non-lethal blade it doesn't pass the saber blade through materials. If you want to use a kimber stone that is fine but it would be still striking and able to pierce as a solid object.

kimber.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom