Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Suggestion Lift restrictions on Sound Based Stealth Technology

Ok, so I been looking at the nature of stealth tech on Wookieepedia, and Stygium is the baseline for creating invisibility fields. It's really hard to make invisible fields without this stuff

And then you have Sound Dampening belts, which seemingly only reduce noise levels the user makes and nothing else.

Now don't get me wrong, I can totally see why you would want to keep something that literally makes you invisible at Unique or semi unique, but sound? Presumably A Sound Dampening system would be much easier for star wars engineers to understand and build. Not necessarily for mass production, maybe limited, because it is canceling out noise. That being said, People sell noise cancelling products all the time in the real world, and they aren't treated like something super rare or special.

As another point to my proposal, a sound dampening system is a vastly more limited form of stealth that is highly situational. You can't sneak through entire crowds unless their backs are toward you, they can't hide your heat or your profile. Their best use is likely ambushing a lone soldier or sneaking by them, and that's dicey if there are sensors or cameras, or even if they just spot your shadow themselves as they sneak up.

I can see why you wanna keep other stealth at semi unique but sound based stealth strikes me as just being much simpler and more accessible to most star wars techs and engineers to build. They can already mass market sound pistols, proving thet have a vastly greater knowledge of how to use sound then we do...why wouldn't they be able to build sound based stealth systems at a greater production level then semi unique or unique, when sound tech should be WAY easier to understand than whatever is necessary to make Stygium work?

Maple Harte Maple Harte

Thank you for the proposal.

There is a difference between understanding a technology enough to use it in a weapon and finding other uses for that technology. Soundless steps is a technology that could easily be used in many other uses, breaking into someone's house without them realising you were there, used with camo to sneak into buildings or around guards. Really whatever your imagination allows.

People can, and have, made similar arguments in the past regarding other forms of technology. Just because the technology doesn't hide you fully, doesn't mean that it isn't 100% capable of accomplishing its goal. That makes it a perfect piece of stealth tech for its purpose and can be mixed with other, very specific technologies to create a full stealth system that covers all elements of the spectrum while being individually allowed.

Because of this, and in order to maintain ease of use for the factory, and to keep things fair I will not be altering the rules regarding stealth systems. Any stealth system or technology should be submitted at semi-unique or unique.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom