Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Public LFG- Number crunchers, game mechanics, system designers

So, this is building on one of the ideas I mentioned at the end of the faction as for the Rimward Trade League— the Imynusoph Run.

A long distance race from Imynusoph to Morellia with a set amount of starting credits and no support teams or funding, with assigned rendezvous worlds to meet before the next run, but no actual assigned course. Part yacht race, part Cannonball Run. Part of me thinks it would be a lot of fun to add in having to self-fund fuel through buying and selling cargo as well, but that feels like a lot more complicated.

Now, while we could all do just a normal public thread, I was considering integrating a system of rules to help calculate things and add in the random drama (dice-based) that we see in a lot of these long distance races where yachts have engines die or masts blown over in a storm. That and it’s a bit more fair to all participants. I’ve never designed any rule mechanics before and I’m not great at finding the balance. So, I come to the community for people who have experience and enjoy making these.

Initial thoughts for useful systems-
1. Travel speed calculator between planets/hexes with variability for hyperlanes/no hyperlanes and hyperdrive speeds, refueling times, and those other strategic long-distance race decisions.
2. Some sort of incident dynamic and what happens, like the differences between getting caught in a private attack or the hyperdrive fuel line bursting, or a navcomputer failure. Plus ways of determining the times of repairing/resolving issues.
3. Maybe the economic side? That would need something like price lists and regional variables, so maybe we don’t mess with something that complex.

Initial thoughts? Broad ideas? Important aspects I’m missing? If you’re interested in getting involved, let me know here and I’ll work on getting a google document up and running! For more immediate and general discussion, I can make a channel in the League Discord, but we don’t need to need to use that if people won’t find it helpful

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom