Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Suggestion Let Us Make Dummy Thicc Space Stations: Redux

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just want to say that if I can somehow convince Factory Staff to grant this boon, then perhaps there is hope for mankind and world peace after all.

Nevertheless, let it BEGIN.

Introduction
The Factory is a wild place where pretty much anything tech-wise, be it can be created. Now of course there are essentially two big caveats around this idea that prevent it from actually, like, destroying Chaos or going wild:
- Making sure submissions are balanced, especially in a PvP context
-
Making sure that submissions conform to the general atmosphere of Star Wars

Now, of course, the actual factory rules are a little more specific and numerous than what is stated above, but when you think about it, most factory rules seem to be created to enforce one of those two caveats at least; banned and restricted substances enforce the balancing aspect, while the infamous Gundam/Mech ban is a prime example of making sure that submissions conform to the general atmosphere of Star Wars. I want to be extremely clear that this post is not arguing against any of this, and is in complete supporting of these rules and mindsets.

But if something that had the potential to be created did not go against any of those caveats, then would it not reason to stand that there is really no reason to prohibit it?

Civilian Space Stations: Size Limits & Restrictions
As it stands the maximum size that any civilian space station can be produced is 80km in width, length, and depth, and this is only allowed to occur at the Unique level.

Now, you say: "Kiff, 80km is a perfectly fine maximum size. Why should it be needed to be any higher?"

The thing is, to you it might be a perfectly fine size. And that's great! No one is going to force you to suddenly submit huge space stations, and they won't be any new type of meta in PvP or anything -- given that they are Civilian space stations, they are hardly more than fluff and set pieces that factory nerds like myself want to create. But the thing is, any way you look at it, 80km is an arbitrary number. If I were to make a civilian space station that was 81 kilometers in diameter, would that really be factory breaking? Would it be paramount to a superweapon? Would all the chicks flock to my place as I flex my utter factory superiority complex?

The answer to all those hypotheticals is an obvious no. They wouldn't be factory breaking or 'broken,' and so would fit the first caveat that most Factory Rules look to prohibit: Making sure submissions are balanced, especially in a PvP context. And as with any other submission, it would be very easy to ensure that the submission conforms to the general atmosphere of Star Wars.

Furthermore, no civilian space station should have to be required to be produced at anything higher than a 'Semi-Unique' categoy. This is specifically because to become an actual location (the only thing that a civilian space station would be used for, really) it has to be submitted as a Codex submission as well. Requiring that large space station models be produced at Unique-level means that for every Codex submission you want to do, you have to make a unique Factory submission to go along with it. It is unnecessary redundancy when you're already having to produce a unique location submission in the Codex to have to produce a unique Factory submission. Would it be too bad to have two space stations, each of the same model, as two different locations? That doesn't seem like it would break either Factory Rule caveat either.

Civilian Space Stations should not have size limits is essentially what I'm getting at here (and that lowest required production should be Semi-Unique).

Common Challenges & Rebuttals

• Challenge: "Well, you don't need to make a factory submission for big stations, just take a canon article and link it in a codex submission."
  • Rebuttal: This sort of logic can honestly be applied to many, if not all, factory submissions. You don't need to make a custom lightsaber. You don't need to make a custom speeder. You don't need to make your own starfighter. There are plenty of canon weapons, vehicles, and ships you can use! Why need it?

Because at the core, people -- especially factory nerds who for some reason are invested into this cycle of unrewarded and pointless work -- just like having their names on things. They like creating things. They like being able to say, "this isn't just some generic space station model, this is a Locke & Key space station model." People do it for virtually everything in the factory that could be substituted for just a canon Wookieepedia article, because they like to make their own stuff. I mean, the hundreds of blaster rifle submissions that are pretty much all the same in function alone speaks to this. There is no reason to limit those submissions, because they don't break the two primary Factory Rule caveats, and because its fun to allow people to be creative. It should be the same for large civilian space stations.

• Challenge: "An 80 kilometer station is huge. There should be a legitimate reason for how this can enhance any story for the limits to be changed."
  • Rebuttal: There are three reasons why this type of thinking doesn't exactly hold up:

- One, most factory submissions also contribute negligible amounts to a story. Again, I bring up the hundreds of different submissions for common things like blasters, all of which end up being a fancy-looking hyperlink in someone's signature or "Gear" spoiler, etc. While the Factory certainly can facilitate roleplay and story, its purpose is mainly because people want to create things to exist in this universe.

- 80 kilometers is an arbitrary number, as I stated earlier. Is there any source that says that 80-kilometer-space stations are more optimal than 90 kilometers? Less optimal than 70 kilometers? There really isn't. A good story can happen on a space station of any size, but like with what I just stated with my first point in this rebuttal, it isn't the primary purpose fo a Factory submission to facilitate story, but the creativity of the nerds who make the submissions in the first place.

- Even if you're not satisfied with my first two points, larger civilians pace stations can facilitate different stories. Imagine behemoth space stations, cities and ports floating in the dead of space with a GDP that rivals most star systems. Imagine humongous space stations that are enormous factories, churning out starships and vehicles and everything, pinnacles of industry. And of course: we can finally be able to submit Ringyard (think KDY) shipyards to the factory. Essentially, even if you disagree with me and believe that the primary purpose of the Factory should be to facilitate better story, having larger Space Stations would be able to do that.

• Challenge: "This could be abused in PvP scenarios, someone could arm their civilian space station, etc."
  • Rebuttal: Ah, good ol' Factory Bans. Civilian Space Stations and Military Space Stations are differentiated for a reason. People who try to get around this and exploit Factory Rules can, at the most basest, have their submissions be denied and if it becomes an issue, they should be given the appropriate consequences, similar to breaking any other Factory Rule.

Concluding Remarks
I know that the odds are this won't happen. Chaos is quirky in resisting some changes by teeth and nail and jumping for others, depending on how the wind is blowing. But I believe one day my children (just go along with it, we all know Chaos Suggestion Thread Poster = Virgin) will be able to exist in a world where dummy thicc civilian space stations on SWRP: Chaos can exist.

And what will I do if this is implemented, you ask?

tenor.gif

F I N.

Last edited:

Jsc

Disney's Princess
If I remember correctly, last year Gir asked for two things: 1. Public support. and 2. A conversation about possible complications for pvp.

Number 2 bores me to tears but I'll give you number 1. I say, do et. :D :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom