Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lessons learned

sabrina

Okay last thread was derailed, but let's face facts another invasion is coming.

What do you need to win in your next bout, as it is coming one way or another.

Please no recriminations
Just what do you think will help

I made the below post on my alt, but I think it can contribute to this thread. If we could begin implementing my suggestions IC, then I think that would place us in a better position when the next invasion comes around.

By the way, did we win Togoria?

My biggest problem with invasions are the story aspects. Why is this particularly world being targeted? Why are we attacking it? How do we ensure that the world falls / doesn't fall into enemy hands?

I'll use the Republic as an example. One Sith are invading them, Mandalorians are joining in as hired mercs and you add the odd Primeval / Dark Jedi / Sith Lords normally unaffiliated with the OS but joining in the invasion because the Republic losing another world fits in with mutual interests. The first two questions are minor (and don't really fit in with this example) but I'll try and fit it in with story telling. Why hasn't the Republic tried to blockade it's space? It has the ships and personnel. In fact, a lot of the roleplay that the Republic has done is the development of it's military and tech, much to the dismay of many Jedi. Why doesn't it use it to stop further attacks? Surely a blockade in place would require the enemy to first bypass it in one thread. It gives better leverage on the negotiation table, when the OS (or any other faction) wants to invade.

Another thing. Skirmishes. The concept of skirmishes has become lost in the past year. I can't remember the last time I participated in a good skirmish. I think it was when the Obscurity fought the Chimaera somewhere near New Order space, when the New Order was a thing. That was 2014, so it might be longer, at least for me. Why don't the One Sith launch several skirmishes, to take out key leaders- key Jedi, military personnel etc.- to make the next annexation of a Republic world easier? Why don't the Jedi / Republic do the same, only in reverse?

The rebellions were a good start. I saw points made against Republic writers who didn't enjoy the fact that any of their dominions could be rebelled and possibly lost because the enemy can now come in and legitimately sustain the pressure on the faction. But skirmishes? They've become lost and with them has the storyline. Why can't we, as a community, come together with the 100+ or so characters and conduct a really nice battle, that has some repercussions for the winner or losers, without necessarily ending with a star system becoming annexed by the invading force?

Battles create stories. The Battle of the Kaliida Nebula in the Clone Wars was a great episode. It expanded the Clone Wars and the story. Gave it depth. We're missing depth in these invasions. I thought it was fantastic that the One Sith could come out of no where and shrek Coruscant from the Republic- the #1 faction at the time- in some heavy Sith orientated revenge due to what the Republic did to them in the 830s. But what was the story after that? I haven't a clue and I've participated in the majority of invasions- on both sides- since the gecko.

I hope this gave some ideas.

Kay-Larr

Sphaera Tea Company Owner
Good points [member="Ella Nova"] :) I think that the stories have been lost for the most part and that it's just been about losing territory. As for blockades and such, that makes perfect sense and I've brought it up before that an enemy shouldn't be able to bring in huge fleets into the middle of a system without facing any resistance from it's borders and any point along it's route. But given that we aren't allowed to say no to an invasion, it gives the attacker the ability to target any place that they want and are able to bypass all of that. There should be a rule concerning invasions, where a direct path from world to world must be made, rather than going from one end to the other just to implement a cloud break.

I'm all about the story, but feel as though some, not all, has been lost for ooc reasons. And the whole "we're the bad guys, you're the good guys, so that's why we want to wipe you off the map" lacks the depth to make it satisfying or fun.

I wasn't around for the glory days of this site, but I hope that a bunch of us can bring it back to that :)

Ayumi Pallopides

Heir to the Emperor, Former Senator of Denon
I miss the glory days when the invasions were selected not because it broke things but because they were key locations. Ossus was a foothold to jump at Korriban and Dac was one of their major shipyards.

now it is mostly just meh and not worth it unless dueling and interacting with someone I trust

[member="sabrina"]

I'd rather us take the offensive the next time around. Even if we lose, we'd still be keeping other factions out of our backyard by the invasion route.

I'd like to see better negotiation for terms that can't lead to OOC exploits. Ideally I'd like see some better integration between individual dueling and unit-based PvP combat. Hero units are a thing in Star Wars games like Battlefront or Empire at War, powerful resources that can tip the scale of battle, but not so strong that they can solo everything. You get a nice medium between EVE and Street Fighter.

[member="Ella Nova"]

I like the idea of multi-stage events. It's implausible to see the aggressors in an invasion already on the ground at the beginning of a thread. That's something they need to work toward in my view.

[member="sabrina"] I've actually been working on that. I have my minor faction right now, and plan on jumping into a rebellion to help out another if anything comes out of it. Been mulling over a second AoL style minor faction for harassment (in the military sense) purposes. I'll have to check to see what's available right now. Some more skirmishes would be nice too. I had one going on with the Sith Assassins, but it lost steam right before the invasion and the introduction of rebellions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom