Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Learning Abilities and Force Ranks

I forgot who said it but long time ago when i joined someone told me it is possible to be a Padawan and learn powers that would other-wise be reguarded as of being a Knights level from a Knight or Master. But the Application and use by the padawan would be downgraded and limited if used. Is this true?

Can you learn and achieve higher things and still be lower?

Little discussion i thought would be interesting since i think its possible.

Id like to hear other responses.

Well the general way to learn a force ability is to be taught by a Knight or Master, unless you have an NPC to teach it to you (and spend an entire dev thread on this, I'll add), but that isn't really why we say Padawans and Acolytes cannot use certain force powers. The issue lies within the mastery of the force, and the ability to learn. Someone who is hardly even capable of performing telekinetic feats due to the wielder's ineptitude and the strain of the technique, for example, would literally face too much strain in the [attempted] use of something such as Force Lightning. That isn't to say it is impossible, it is just so extremely improbable that it would be faster to become a Knight while being taught the skills leading up to that technique.

Also, learning techniques such as Force Insanity require learning the prior techniques in the tree of skills before achieving it. This means that you would probably reach the rank of Knight by that point on merit alone before you ever learn how to use it, or even attempt to learn how. Obviously things that are simplistic like Force Choke and such are not going to be barred from use, but most of us will contact an RPJ if you try to pull a Tutaminis to absorb a saber strike as anything but a Master. (Or maybe a really, really, good writer with Knight.)

All in all it is a case-by-case thing, not necessarily a "You can only learn the absolute basics as an apprentice!". Being taught that is IC, and something else entirely. Being able to perform it based on the available rules is another.

[member="Krafurk Maris"]

Edit: And by faster, I didn't mean give up and skip it until that point in time, I mean you would literally ascend to knight by the time you finished learning it.

Nyxie

【夢狐】
Short Answer:
There are some things you can learn in downgraded forms, with lots of effort.
Then there are just things not feasible at that level, even superiors have difficulty with.

Examples:
Pyrokinesis. It's semi-up there, but there's nothing really stopping lower level Force sensitives from learning it.
Reanimated Undead. Pure high-level Sith spell, typically regarded as for masters of Sith sorcery only.

I've always said experience > rank, especially since the latter is just a forum/IC title and one cannot cut a life's worth of growth into three specific stages. Just roleplay and develop your character, learn new things as they go and try to be realistic; IE: not pulling down entire ships from the sky like Starkiller and being a Knight. Really, just don't be 'Godawan' and you're good.

"In my book, experience outranks everything." -Rex

[member="Krafurk Maris"]

If you have Knight-level abilities, it's likely you'll be promoted to Knight, anyway. If you get promoted through major events like invasions and whatnot, you can sneak by with minimal training threads.

Another thing here is specialization. The major place this is seen, from what I can tell, is white current. If Saran, as a knight who has a Jedi's training, were to start in it, she would be equivalent to a padawan who specializes in it. A master with other specializations is equivalent to a knight without, etc. It's all about focus. The padawan and knight above would be horrible in combat, but could slip away with ease.

As others have said, expierance means alot. So if you practice telekinesis a whole lot, then you will be stronger than normal. There was a guy on the board (not here any more) who practiced in just force sense. Literally he could find you anywhere as you tried your best to hide.

This evolved to where he could perform shatterpoint and used it against an alt of mine. He did well over a good 10-15 threads to learn more. Even at that time, he was only a knight rank. So if you have the time to pump out threads to train, then yeah, you earn that power.

Jsc

Disney's Princess
There are 3 Tiers of power. 1,2,3. We call them different names and give them different titles, but they are basically the same where ever you go. These Tiers exist to express power in PvP. Naturally, a Tier 2 character is more powerful than a Tier 1 character. By how much? We don't care, nobody knows. It's just an expression. Not an equation.

So what you're asking is can a Tier 1 character learn any type of Space Magic? Sure. But that character's power will always be beholden to their Tier Rank. No matter how much a Tier 1 character trains or practices or threads, they are still Tier 1. And so is their expression of power. That's just how this website roles.

Now? If you're asking about specific Space Spells? Who cares? Space Magic is space magic. It's all the same manipulation of the shared energy field created by all life called The Force. One Sith's Storm is another Witch's Dustball. One Jedi's Spark is another Sage's Fusebomb. One Rogue's Stealth is another Templar's Fade Person. There are a thousand names for a thousand different applications. That's not the point.

The point is, if you're Tier 1. Your character and all their abilities are weaker than a Tier 2 characters in every way. Even if you've been training that Dragonball Z Spiritbomb technique of yours for a thousand years. Tier 1 is Tier 1.

___

But please remember that Tiers do not determine 'winners'. Winning is not something we do on this website. We roleplay, we PM, we collaborate, and we tell great stories. We don't just walk into a PvP Arena and start 'winning'. We give, and take, and Skype, and trade, and shake hands at the end of the day. Every Tier 3 character honors, acknowledges, and fears the power of a Tier 1 character, no matter how small it may be. This is called respect. And it is what builds a community.

So at the end of the day your Tier means nothing. Because everything is built upon the respect of communication and teamwork. :D

Jsc

Disney's Princess
Exceptions

Okay, so let's talk exceptions for a minute. They are real, they exist, and you should probably be ready for them. You see, once upon a time a Sith Lord (Tier 3) decided to become a Jedi. As such, he got demoted down to Padawan (Tier 1). Now all the other Jedi laughed and scoffed and thought they could beat him up now. But they were wrong. ...Why?

Because Tiers are like firearms in a way. Give a man a 9mm pistol and another man a mounted Vulcan Chain Gun? And you might notice a difference in the expression of power there. Haha. But just because one guy has a pistol and another has a rotary death machine? ...Doesn't mean that only one person ever champions that fight.

In fact, that poor little Jedi Padawan kicked a great deal of butt. And not just because he was an ex-Sith Lord who knew every Force Technique ever. No. It was because in his many years of Roleplaying he had learned how to talk with other peoples writers and convince them his character was a badass worthy of respect. He was always winning, because he was always PMing. He was always communicating, talking, trading, plotting, and respecting others.

He was only a Tier 1 character. But he was always a Tier 3 Writer.

So yeah. Food for thought. Cheers. :D

Jsc

Disney's Princess
Zoey Marix said:
I forget who said it and I am probably butchering it but someone said this "Write as though you are the level above you, with the power of a level below you."
QFT you go girl. :D

funner.gif
[member="Krafurk Maris"]​

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom