Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Killik-class dropship

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jak Sandrow

"Nobody cares for the woods anymore."

Intent: To create a large dropship for space-to-ground assaults
Development Thread: If necessary
Hero Unit: No
Manufacturer: Fondor (pre-Clockwork)
Model: Infantry/Supply dropship
Affiliation: Omega Pyre
Modularity: Heavy modularities are possible. The list is as follows. (Note, this has possible ordnance, not all ordnance at one time. If only carrying one type of ordnance, the max. payload number is in square brackets.)
--- Front weapon can be:
  • Blaster cannons (double)
  • Missile bank (8 missiles)
  • Long-range light blaster cannon (shown)
--- Ordnance: [max. #, only type in area]
  • Conc. bombs (2 shown) [4]
  • Conc. missiles (shown) [6]
  • Air-to-air missiles [14]
  • Air-to-ground missiles [6]
  • Cluster bombs [2]
  • Fire (napalm, other) bombs [2]
  1. Non-explosive ordnance:
  • Sensor pods [4]
  • Small blaster turrets [2]
--- Front belly:
  • Combat drop compartment (shown) (6 occupants, max.)
  • Extra ordnance (see above)
  • Searchlights [2]
  • Cargo
  • Recon equipment
--- Main belly
  • Weapons platform [small proton cannon, missile bank, repeating blaster cannons (2), heavy pounder blaster cannon (1)]
  • Infantry carrier (shown)
  • Extra ordnance (see above)
  • Cargo
  • Recon equipment
Production: Fairly mass-produced
Materials: 1" Plastoid/durasteel composite, transparisteel viewports
Description: The Killik-class dropship is a versatile all-purpose dropship for mass-deployment of Omega Pyre onto planets. It is essentially a more durable, greater-capacity version of the Inimica-class gunship, and in no way replaces it. It can be used for mass assaults alongside the Inimica, or can drop infantry behind a cover of attacking gunships. Its modularity makes it a good all-round gunship, almost making it invaluable. The Killik-class gunship helps with most tasks, from infantry drop to search & recon.

Modular system operation:
  • Main bay: When the craft is used as an infantry carrier, the system is deactivated. When it is used as a weapons platform, rails fold out of the bay floor, and electromagnetic clamps activate. The weapons are then slid along the rails and held in place with the clamps. If it needs to be a bomber, then the whole floor can be removed and hardpoints put in place for the bombs (rockets will not work). Cargo and recon equipment is attached to the floor and the latter hooked up to plugs inserted into the walls.
  • Front bay: The searchlights, cargo, recon equipment, and the extra ordnance (bombs only) are stored in the front bay by magnetic clamps. Otherwise, the infantry are held in by existing racks mounted on the ceiling. The droprack is compatible with the existing Merr-Sonn body armor in existence, and provides a small re-entry jetpack for landing (not included within the rack)
  • Wing ordnance: The hardpoints for the greatest number of weapons (14 rockets) are permanently installed. The blaster turrets and searchlights are installed in flanged rotary wheels installed near the end of the wings.
  • Front weapon: The front weapon has an interchangeable mount (physical lock) that can be switched out for the weapons listed.

Overall pros:
  • Is very durable and versatile
  • Mass-production is not necessarily needed because of large troop capacity
  • Can improve frontline attack versatility
Overall cons:
  • Can be easily swarmed by enemy fighters
  • Will succumb to EMP attacks, crashing instantly.
  • Infantry must leave behind jets; the wash from jets may harm exiting infantry if they are not careful.
Trade-offs: When the gunship is loaded with troops:
Pros:
  • Troops can fire out of doors
  • Will quickly deploy troops
Cons:
  • Not as many weapons
  • Less armor for greater speed
When it is a weapons platform:
Pros:
  • Greater armor and weaponry
  • Works well in groups
Cons:
  • More of a target
  • Less speed
Main role: Troop transport
Secondary role: Weapons platform
Height: 6.7 m
Length: 26 m
Width: Fuselage: 6 m, jets: 12 m, wingspan: 28 m
Weight: 5 tonnes unloaded
Crew: Pilot, copilot, optional gunner
Propulsion: VTOL jets (3), ion propulsion turbojets (2)
Top Speed: 720 km/h
Armaments: See "Modularity"
Passenger Capacity: 20 infantry, or 4 gunners on weapons platform (possible 6 dropsuit infantry in dropbay)
Cargo Capacity: If in cargo mode, can hold 40 cu. metres, otherwise can hold only 6 cu. metres
Misc. Equipment: (What tech does the vehicle have that does not fit into the other categories)

Sirella Valkner

Because I'm a plant.
Actually write the numbers down please. speed needs to be our rating system. And we require a full paragraph description. Once all that is done we will take a more serious look at it.

Sirella Valkner

Because I'm a plant.
Okay right now the ordnance holds way too many missiles and bombs and such. It is unclear which load-outs carry troops and which don't. You say front weapon can be, but you don't say under what circumstances it changes or what limitations it has when it's loaded like that. And overall it's TOO module right now. Like in real life something like this would be fine, but in Star Wars I'm having a hard time finding something that is this modular and crazy. To my knowledge there is only 1 other ship with external mounted missiles, so a poor precedent there, and that ship has major disadvantages for carrying a large payload that I don't see here. I'll give you a chance to edit before I deny but right now it's doing way too much different things and there doesn't seem to be a trade off anywhere.

Oh also your faction appears at first glance has something like this already, so I'd like to get a confirmation for your faction head that they want this. If you could have them post here I would appreciate it.

Sirella Valkner

Because I'm a plant.
If we were RPing on a Halo forum or on a post modern sci fi forum I'd probably accept this. But we aren't. This is Star Wars. I have a bunch of issues but I will only talk about a few right here and suggest a course of action.

1. This article is confusing. If I were a player reading this some of your statements and weapon loadoouts and all these options would be daunting.
2. This is related to number 1, this vehicle can apparently do everything. It's a bomber, a gunship, a transport, a sleuth, all in one.
3. Only one ship to my knowledge has used Hard Points in Star Wars (well a few, but only one on this scale), and it doesn't show up outside of a single series. It isn't a widely accepted thing in Star Wars. That isn't reason enough to deny an entry but I would personally want it simplified if I were to do it.
4. This is a subjective thing, but to me it doesn't feel like a Star Wars vessel. Once again not enough to normally deny something but you combine it with all the other stuff and it is.
5. You're using payloads that don't exist in Star Wars, or don't exist how you are envisioning them.

I might be missing something, I'm pretty tired but those are the broad strokes. Now I have a suggested course of action. I am denying this now. But if you want to post a similar article later I will review it, I only ask that you do one thing and post it in the tech thread of Omega Pyre. I'm 90% sure I saw one in your factions forums. You have two guys in the faction that know tech pretty well, and could help you our on this core concept. If you do that, work with them, and post again I will review the article and help make it so your tech gets approved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom