Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech Keldabe Cannon

Status
Not open for further replies.
KELDABE CANNON
scifi_shotgun_wip2_by_ravital-d3hdf3w.jpg
Image Source: Here
Intent: To Create an Advanced primary weapon for Mandalorian Characters, with specialized versions for Mandalorian Protectors Characters

PRODUCTION INFORMATION
Development Thread:
Manufacturer: ArmaTech Industries
Model: Mk1
Affiliation: Private Market / Mandalorian Protectors (Beskar Version)
Modularity: Yes
  • Aesthetics
  • After-Market Kits and Attachments (Universal Top and Bottom Rails)
Production: Semi-Unique (Beskar) / Minor (Mandalorian Steel)
Material: Beskar/Mandalorian Steel, Duraplast Plating, Fused-Quartz Crystals, Electronics, Slugthrower Components

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS
Classification: Slugthrower
Size: Hand-Held
Length: 800 Millimeters
Weight: 5.25 Kilograms
Ammunition Type: 12 Gauge Course-Correcting Caseless Slugs
Ammunition Capacity: 20 Round Drum; 10 Round Box
Effective Range: 100 Meters
Rate of Fire: Semi-Automatic; Automatic (240 Rounds per Minute)
Muzzle Velocity: 1,600 Meters per Second

DESCRIPTION
The Keldabe Cannon is an experimental take on a simple weapon. A basic shotgun or scattergun was taken and modified. First, the propellant was exchanged for a plasma driven component, vastly increasing the muzzle velocity while only slightly hampering the weapon's rate of fire. This gives the shotgun significant brute force punch, allowing it to smash into targets and deliver a tremendous amount of kinetic force over many other slugthrowers. Secondly, the Keldabe Cannon is traditionally made from Mandalorian Steel, however a tougher model was made for a small number of individuals using Beskar. The Mandalorian Steel is the primary component with electronics covered in a duraplast plating and lined with a Fused-Quartz Crystalline mesh to protect them. This makes the weapon rugged and tough, as well as offering its delicate electronics protection against some minor EMP and Ion pulses. Then the weapon was modified with an cryocooler heat sink along the barrel to prevent barrel melt at its high rates of fire, however the weapon is only able to be used on automatic setting for a minute at most. This is not normally a problem due to ammunition constraints. Finally the weapon was given a sound technological overhaul including a Computer Assisted Targeting system, Course-Correcting Slugs, and several other minor systems to enhance its overall effectiveness.

The key component in the Keldabe Cannon is its fully integrated computer assisted targeting system, based around a microcomputer and a small number of subsystems. First, the microcomputer processes all Shot Data available to the operator such as atmospheric conditions like air pressure, wind speed, wind direction, weather conditions, as well as information like distance. The microcomputer includes a motion predictor, which adjusts for a target's movement to the best of its ability. It then compensates the crosshairs for these conditions so that no lead or adjustment is necessary on the part of the shooter. Simply put the crosshairs on the target and fire. Often times, crosshairs are synchronized to a soldier's HUD to allow accurate firing from the hip, as the crosshairs appear on their Internal Overlay Display.

This microcomputer includes a laser mircometer, which takes constant measurements of the weapon, allowing the sights to adjust for barrel vibration and keeps the weapon permanently zeroed on its crosshairs, with no need for manual adjustment.

The limitations to this system are fairly simple. It requires a sensor tag, which is easy enough to achieve when synchronized to a HUD or Helmet system like the Hyperion Combat Helmet or Arbiter Helmet, however stealth systems, sensor blocking equipment, and sensor jammers can interfere with these and prevent sensor tags from being achieved which. Furthermore the motion predictor is only able to compensate for speeds about fifty kilometers per hour, though it does note when target speeds exceed its capabilities. Despite this, for general close quarters combat and mid-range combat against infantry it was deemed acceptable limitations. The Assisted Targeting system can be switch off with a simple on/off button and reverts to standard.

Its ammunition is a caseless 12 guage slug, based off the FWG-5 guided Flechette canisters, featuring a miniature repulsor system allowing the slug to make minor course correction, normally roughly twenty degrees across its one hundred meter flight. The guidance system revolves around a tag and track system in which the HUD or Sensor Tag connected with the weapon tags a target and the slug makes corrections in order to strike that tag to the best of its ability. While this doesn't allow it to dodge obstacles or turn sharp corners, it does compensate for some enemy movement, bend its trajectory a small amount, overall increasing accuracy and the likelihood of a positive hit. The round is plasma driven, using an electrical arc to ignite its propellant into a plasma to expel the slug through the barrel, allowing it to hit much higher velocities than would otherwise be possible without resorting to Verpine Shattergun technology, which would greatly reduce the rate of fire.

As an advanced Slugthrower, the Keldabe Cannon also benefits from several other technological advancements. First, the weapon is coated in a camouflage pattern of Reflec that is very mildly photoreactive, having the ability to shift from forest to desert or other environment after a few minutes or it can be programmed to be set colors or change symbols as the user desires. Secondly, the stock of the weapon is fitted with a miniaturized repulsor and inertial dampeners and gyrotic stabilizers, similar to those found on the Shacklebolt made by Gotal'veman. This reduces the recoil and vibration of the weapon a great deal, allowing for the very powerful weapon to fire short bursts of four or five rounds without much difficulty, however recoil does become an issue trying to spray firepower down range. This allows for greater weapon control and accuracy of several burst fired rounds. Finally, the weapon also features a silencer, similar to the Rifle Silencer based of the Paretaine Sonic's SNS-600 Sound Bubble, made popular by ArmaTech and stolen by the One Sith. The bubble generator has been miniaturized and modified to cover only a small area around the chamber, an elongated oval around the barrel, and muzzle of the weapon greatly reducing the noise made by the weapon itself, though it has no effect on the rounds themselves.

Strengths:
  • Computer Assisted Targeting: The key component of the weapon is its targeting system, making aiming easy and simple for the user, as well as allowing the bullets to lock on to potential targets.
  • Course-Correcting Ammunition: The Slugs feature a miniaturized Repulsor system and guidance, able to track and follow targets, as well as make course corrections mid flight.
  • Stopping Power: Its a heavy round propelled at high speeds, capable of delivering a great deal of kinetic force to its victims. Even Heavy armors, while they may not be pierced, are still subject to kinetic force, which is one of the well known weaknesses of Beskar and Phrik Armor.
Weaknesses:
  • Ammunition: While individual Ammunition is comparable, carrying more than one or two reloads is nearly impossible due to the size of the shell. Most soldiers can only carry two drums or four or five Box magazines worth of Ammunition.
  • Range: For a Weapon with such a high Muzzle Velocity, the weapon has a fairly short range compared to most Slugthrowers.
  • Limitations: Stealth Troopers and Fast Moving Targets are often beyond the capabilities of the Computer Assisted Targeting system as it requires a Sensor Tag and can only adjust for speeds of up to fifty kilometers per hour.
  • Electronic Dependent: While it is EMP resistant, it isn't immune, and the entire function of the weapon is based on electronics.
Special Features:
  • Computer Assisted Targeting
  • Course-Correcting Slugs
  • EMP/Ion Resistant
REFERENCES

RESEARCH REVIEW
-----
Star Wars Canon:
Pending initial review
------
Starwars Chaos:
Pending initial review
------
WITHOUT DEV THREADS
Pending initial review
------
WITH DEV THREADS
Pending Initial review
------
SUGGESTIONS
Pending Inital review

Draco Vereen said:
Production: Semi-Unique (Beskar Plated)/
How many of these beskar-plated versions are we looking at?

Draco Vereen said:
Course-Correcting Slugs,

Draco Vereen said:
Its ammunition is a caseless 12 guage slug, based off the FWG-5 guided Flechette canisters, featuring a miniature repulsor system allowing the slug to make minor course correction, normally roughly forty-five degrees across its one hundred meter flight. The guidance system revolves around a tag and track system in which the HUD or Sensor Tag connected with the weapon tags a target and the slug makes corrections in order to strike that tag to the best of its ability. While this doesn't allow it to dodge obstacles or turn sharp corners, it does compensate for some enemy movement, bend its trajectory a small amount, overall increasing accuracy and the likelihood of a positive hit. The round is plasma driven, using an electrical arc to ignite its propellant into a plasma to expel the slug through the barrel, allowing it to hit much higher velocities than would otherwise be possible without resorting to Verpine Shattergun technology, which would greatly reduce the rate of fire.

I think that the degree of maneuverability is going to be proportional to your exit velocity for a slug. Considering that, I think that 45 degrees is a bit much for something going as fast as it seems to be, especially without its own propulsion.

I'm not entirely sold on the FGW-5 reference for this. The FGW-5 uses a missile which is guided by a laser painted onto the target. The micro-repulsor is used to disperse the flechettes, rather than to guide the actual projectile to the target.

Draco Vereen said:
As an advanced Slugthrower, the Keldabe Cannon also benefits from several other technological advancements. First, the weapon is coated in a camouflage pattern of Reflec that is very mildly photoreactive, having the ability to shift from forest to desert or other environment after a few minutes or it can be programmed to be set colors or change symbols as the user desires. The reflec makes the weapon difficult to detect with scanners and sensors while it isn't being fired or actively targeting someone.
From what I've been able to find, Reflec warps light itself rather than acting some sort of active camouflage pattern. The technology certainly exists to have the capability for the Keldabe to do that.

Given the sensor dampening, active camouflage, and the use of a Sound bubble on this, I think this falls into the stealth technology category as well. I'd like to see an additional 10 posts for these features.

Draco Vereen said:
Secondly, the stock of the weapon is fitted with a miniaturized repulsor and inertial dampener, similar to those found on the Shacklebolt made by Gotal'veman. This reduces the recoil and vibration of the weapon almost completely, allowing for greater weapon control and increased accuracy over a number of rounds.
I don't have an issue with the inclusion of the inertial dampener and the repulsor to help with the weapon's weight, but I think it should follow the Shackebolt in that it shouldn't "almost completely" get rid of recoil. Make it manageable for normal follow-up shots (considering the recoil of typical 12-gauge ammunition), sure. Make it utterly effortless to rapid fire, not so much.

Gir Quee said:
How many of these beskar-plated versions are we looking at?
I dunno, a dozen or so at a time. Semi-Unique just states a handful of characters in the template where as Limited opens up for small units of NPC's. I've seen Limited Production stretch 100+ actual units where as Semi-Unique is limited to Individuals, and I've seen them not necessarily numbered.

Gir Quee said:
I think that the degree of maneuverability is going to be proportional to your exit velocity for a slug. Considering that, I think that 45 degrees is a bit much for something going as fast as it seems to be, especially without its own propulsion.
I'm not entirely sold on the FGW-5 reference for this. The FGW-5 uses a missile which is guided by a laser painted onto the target. The micro-repulsor is used to disperse the flechettes, rather than to guide the actual projectile to the target.
Repulsors for propulsion. As it has plenty of forward momentum, repulsors only need to adjust the flight course. I'm adjustable on the amount of maneuverability though. Now, 45 degrees over 100 meters isn't as terrible as you might think. That's 4.5 Degrees every 10 meters.

As for the FGW-5, both of the statements you made are directly opposed to the Wookiee. I don't have the source material, but the Wookiee claims it uses pellets (not rockets), and uses momentum to disperse the Flechettes. Like I said, I don't have the source material there, so I'm shackled to the Wookiee, but that's what it says.

Also, RL has the experimental smart bullet with a little bit of data, however RL doesn't have the stupidly advanced technology of repulsors.

Gir Quee said:
Given the sensor dampening, active camouflage, and the use of a Sound bubble on this, I think this falls into the stealth technology category as well. I'd like to see an additional 10 posts for these features.
I've included that exact sentence in maybe a dozen Submissions for the Sensor coating. I'm going to cut out the part about sensor blocking, a couple of quick reads tells me that isn't very important. Just the photoreactivity, which I've always used Reflec as a base and made it milder. I even subbed a programmable paint based on it. Its not invisible though.

Gir Quee said:
I don't have an issue with the inclusion of the inertial dampener and the repulsor to help with the weapon's weight, but I think it should follow the Shackebolt in that it shouldn't "almost completely" get rid of recoil. Make it manageable for normal follow-up shots (considering the recoil of typical 12-gauge ammunition), sure. Make it utterly effortless to rapid fire, not so much.
Sure. I based it off the AA-12 (Which I've fired) which is negilible recoil from a 12 gauge on full auto. And that's just with a few twinges of RL tech guts it down to about 10% of the standard recoil of a 12 gauge. Slap in some space tech and its not implausible. I can and have fired the AA-12 one handed from the hip (Strong wrist jokes). However, as HALO has taught us, recoil control beats even the super soldiers that can flip tanks (More jokes).

I've edited it so that short bursts are plausible, emptying the clip is a different matter.

Err for reference, pulled the math on the trajectory alteration. Its about .8 Meters (10 meter Range); 3.15 meters (20 Meter Range), 7 Meters (30 Meter Range). So it gets up there as distance goes, More than I intended for something that is already accurate. 4.5 Degrees, then 9, then 13.5.

What would you like to see?

Draco Vereen said:
I dunno, a dozen or so at a time. Semi-Unique just states a handful of characters in the template where as Limited opens up for small units of NPC's. I've seen Limited Production stretch 100+ actual units where as Semi-Unique is limited to Individuals, and I've seen them not necessarily numbered.
With that though, we typically see a theme, especially with an organization, such as "members of the Republic Secret Service", etc. I'm not adverse to having this be unnumbered, but I'd like to see something in here that shows "which handful of characters" this is intended for, to differentiate it compared to minor (any character, select NPCs).

Draco Vereen said:
Repulsors for propulsion. As it has plenty of forward momentum, repulsors only need to adjust the flight course. I'm adjustable on the amount of maneuverability though. Now, 45 degrees over 100 meters isn't as terrible as you might think. That's 4.5 Degrees every 10 meters. As for the FGW-5, both of the statements you made are directly opposed to the Wookiee. I don't have the source material, but the Wookiee claims it uses pellets (not rockets), and uses momentum to disperse the Flechettes. Like I said, I don't have the source material there, so I'm shackled to the Wookiee, but that's what it says. Also, RL has the experimental smart bullet with a little bit of data, however RL doesn't have the stupidly advanced technology of repulsors.

I have one of the original sources (the Essential Guide to Weapons and Technology) that has the FWG-5 listed. It could well be that there is some discrepancy in the sources. However, you can see the original diagram/schematic in EGWT on the wookiee page. It clearly labels a "missile clip" (as abhorrent as that probably sounds to both of us). The Arms and Equipment guide does label the ammunition as being "pellets", but it doesn't give mention the use of repulsors in any of it. I will look into this more to see if I can find the references about the repulsor use.

Draco Vereen said:
I've included that exact sentence in maybe a dozen Submissions for the Sensor coating. I'm going to cut out the part about sensor blocking, a couple of quick reads tells me that isn't very important. Just the photoreactivity, which I've always used Reflec as a base and made it milder. I even subbed a programmable paint based on it. Its not invisible though.
Reflec is described as a "black polymer coating" in its use for Storm Commando armor (you can find this on page 102 in Rules of Engagement - The Rebel SpecForce Handbook). Part of the confusion with Reflec may come from the Bounty Hunter Mist's armor, which notably uses reflex to absorb sensor scans, but it has its own separate photo-reactive coating as well. But from page 20 of The Kathol Outback, describing Mist's armor:

Photo-reactive Coating: The armor has been treated with a coating of photosensitive, microscopic crystals that reflect the ambient colors in a given area, making the armor difficult to see in virtually any situation. This modifications adds +2D to sneak.
Reflec Plating: In addition to enhanced camouflage, the armor has been covered in a fine mesh of reflec, a sensor· absorbing material favored by the Imperial Storm Commandos. This adds an additional +1D to sneak.
That fact that this employs two separate systems suggests to me that Reflec doesn't really do much for visual stealth, and really is only effective against sensor scans.

Draco Vereen said:
Sure. I based it off the AA-12 (Which I've fired) which is negilible recoil from a 12 gauge on full auto. And that's just with a few twinges of RL tech guts it down to about 10% of the standard recoil of a 12 gauge. Slap in some space tech and its not implausible. I can and have fired the AA-12 one handed from the hip (Strong wrist jokes). However, as HALO has taught us, recoil control beats even the super soldiers that can flip tanks (More jokes). I've edited it so that short bursts are plausible, emptying the clip is a different matter.
Works for me. I too have fired a semi-automatic 12-gauge (nothing as awesome as a AA-12), but I imagine that there is a lot of individual difference in recoil based on both the guns's operating principle (gas versus long-recoil, etc) and the exact ammunition load.

Alright. Well, as far as specific, Mandalorian Protectors characters will have access to the Beskar Plated ones. I'll make that note in the intent and affiliation.

The coating isn't terrible. As it sits it just keeps you from having to repaint it for different environments. http://starwarsrp.net/topic/85253-programmable-paint/I'm sure neither of us really care which canon tech has been watered down to be camouflage that changes colors. I included to reference colors (links don't appear to be broken) so that people know its not like Predator, its more like standard Military BDU's. Its just so If I run down a mountain if you give it a couple minutes I'm not running through the woods with a snow camo gun.

It was pretty fun with those guns I must say, and like I've said, I've edited to allow for short bursts of 4-5 rounds with good weapon control. In all honesty opening up and spraying isn't a good tactic if you can only carry 40 shells as standard load anyway.

As for the trajectory adjustment, its possible, we just need to agree on an amount. I agree after mathing it that 45 degrees even spread over 100 meters is massive and far more than I intended or had thought. How does 20 degrees sound? Even 15 would get a good chunk of the movement I want. What do you think?

[member="Gir Quee"]

Draco Vereen said:
Alright. Well, as far as specific, Mandalorian Protectors characters will have access to the Beskar Plated ones. I'll make that note in the intent and affiliation.

The coating isn't terrible. As it sits it just keeps you from having to repaint it for different environments. http://starwarsrp.net/topic/85253-programmable-paint/I'm sure neither of us really care which canon tech has been watered down to be camouflage that changes colors. I included to reference colors (links don't appear to be broken) so that people know its not like Predator, its more like standard Military BDU's. Its just so If I run down a mountain if you give it a couple minutes I'm not running through the woods with a snow camo gun.

It was pretty fun with those guns I must say, and like I've said, I've edited to allow for short bursts of 4-5 rounds with good weapon control. In all honesty opening up and spraying isn't a good tactic if you can only carry 40 shells as standard load anyway.

As for the trajectory adjustment, its possible, we just need to agree on an amount. I agree after mathing it that 45 degrees even spread over 100 meters is massive and far more than I intended or had thought. How does 20 degrees sound? Even 15 would get a good chunk of the movement I want. What do you think?

[member="Gir Quee"]
Both of the affiliation change and the 20 degree change sound excellent. Do that, and I'll stamp it.

I've been unable to find the source of the micro-repulsors for the FWG-5, though I suspect it's Star Wars Galaxies since that game also gave it a weird "heat energy blast" fire mode. That being said, there are also repulsor balls which arguably could work on a similar principle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom