Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech Katria's personal Railgun Sniper Rifle

Status
Not open for further replies.
fdtnfw7.jpg

OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION

• Intent: To provide the specs for Katria's personal railgun sniper rifle.
  • Image Source: Here
  • Canon Link: N/A
  • Restricted Missions: N/A
  • Primary Source: N/A
PRODUCTION INFORMATION
  • Manufacturer: Katria Vekarr and Skiss Iskiss
  • Model: Railgun Rifle
  • Affiliation: Katria Vekarr
  • Modularity: Replaceable components for potential degradation or damage as well as modular rounds.
  • Production: Unique
  • Material: Denscris and Dallorian Alloy with synthetic bonding agent (barrel and rail components), Duraplast (reinforcement for body, stock and barrel) and Duranium (coating over all but the barrel)
TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS
  • Classification: Rail
  • Size: Very Large
  • Weight: Very Heavy
  • Ammunition Type: Modular Rounds
  • Ammunition Capacity: Eight Rounds
  • Reload Speed: Very Low
  • Effective Range: Average
  • Rate of Fire: Low
  • Stopping Power: Extreme
  • Recoil: High
SPECIAL FEATURES
Strengths:
  • Big Bullets: This weapon possesses the ability to fire custom 7.62mm rounds that paired with the alarming speeds of a rail gun pack a ridiculous punch capable of piercing some heavy armored vehicles and most lightly armored vehicles.
  • Modular Ammo: Due to the high cost of materials this weapon utilizes a variety of round types. More often than not it will employ the use of rounds specialized to penetrate more than one individual at a time than to pierce heavy armor.
  • Inertia Shminertia: Built with inertia compensators this weapon is capable of dispelling a vast majority of the weapons recoil.
  • Material Suite: While the weapon experiences natural railgun degradation, the materials used make components easy to replace should they begin to degrade.
  • Verpine Ingeniuity: This weapon utilizes custom bullets created with the heavy application of Verpine microscopic sight on the part of the Verpine Skiss Iskiss. As such each round is custom refined by the Verpine for maximum efficiency.
    - Each bullet is built with the shape, size and aerodynamics needed to perform it's specific function; applied carefully by Skiss.
Weaknesses:
  • Built Bulky: Inertia capacitors, a capacitor bank, energy monitor and large rounds make for a verylarge weapon. This weapon sports no expenses left unpaid in the size or weight department.
  • Power Hungry: Like any rail gun this weapon is power hungry, it's size demanding even more power than normal and the reasoning for incorporating a small capacitor bank.
  • Reload Time: Eight round clips and capacitor replacements take much more time than reloading a simple auto rifle of a similar design. It takes a long time to fully reload and continue using this weapon.
  • Common Metals: While the weapon is constructed of common metals, this also makes them more vulnerable to varieties of damage that more unique and specialized metals would otherwise resist.
  • Time is Money: The amount of time and effort it takes to create the rounds for this weapon is exhausting and often considered more of a chore than a task. This leads to very few being created at any given time leading to limited use of this weapon.
    - This leads to the weapon being considered a Necessity Only Weapon.
DESCRIPTION
It was time for an upgrade. For a sniper and agent like Katria Vekarr the newest, biggest weapon was always on her mind. In light of the war with the Galactic Empire and their utilization of heavily armored vehicles and soldiers, the young agent decided to utilize her verpine companion's microscopic vision and her own weapon skills to build something truly unique; and just as dangerous.

Turning her sights to the likes of a railgun, deadly for it's precision and unfathomable speeds, the agent went to work building herself a weapon that could contend with that of a downsized cannon when utilized properly. There was nothing more deadly than taking ones unique sniping skills and putting them to the test with a weapon capable of greatly damaging an armored vehicle; and very rarely a tank.

Katria Vekarr said:
Custom 7.62mm Individual Field Disruptor integrated Jacketed Rounds
There's a couple of issues with using IFDs on small, expendable bullets:

1) Size: 7.62 is a pretty small diameter to house an advanced device like this and its power supply, especially if it's going to have mass to do damage as well.
2) Cost: IFDs are quite expensive: A single, person-sized Evasive-13 IFD , costs 11,000 credits. For comparison, an E-11 blaster rifle is 1,000 credits and a common datapad is 250 credits.
3) Magnetism: A railgun moves its projectile using intensive electromagnetic forces that pass through the projectile (Think of this as the bullet continuously experiencing an electromagnetic pulse as it goes down the barrel). While it's arguably possible to make some sort of shielding (farraday cage, etc) for this on a larger bore weapon, the amount of miniaturization needed to do this on a hand-held projectile that's already very small is close to impossible.

Katria Vekarr said:
Big Bullets: This weapon possesses the ability to fire 7.62mm rounds that paired with the alarming speeds of a rail gun pack a ridiculous punch capable of piercing heavy armored vehicles.
I can see this penetrating through lightly armored vehicles, but I don't think that I can sign off on this penetrating through something like a tank. Penetration isn't only determined by velocity, but the makeup of the projectile itself, the makeup of the opposing armor, and the angle of the shot. Most of these variables will make it practically impossible.

I have added a variety of strengths and weaknesses to the weapon to accommodate for the concerns listed above. Cost, round modularity, electromagnatism countermeasure and even construction.

I have included a link to my NPC Verpine who participates in the construction of these rounds as he is capable of working with materials on the microscopic level. If I am mistaken in believing this would allow him to manipulate these materials in a way most weapon smiths couldn't than I can make further changes to the weapon.

I have also included in the ammunition type abbreviations of the round types included with color coded stars that can be traced to the special features section.

[member="Gir Quee"]

[member="Katria Vekarr"], I think these IFD rounds will need their own submission. Even then, I'm not sure that they'll be approvable. Because of that, please remove all IFD references from this submission.

What I'd recommend is noting that this railgun, like canon Verpine Shatterguns, has a multi-caliber bore and magazine. This will make it modular, and allow you to make custom ammunition for it at a later time (regardless if it's IFD or something else).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom