Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just a Smol Thing

As quickly as new GenPals were being created, tested and offered on the market, special orders for custom works started rolling in. While they took more time in their own way, and didn't offer much in the way of long term returns the way half a million TinyTauns shipped out around the galaxy would, Cass's appointment book was open to them all.

Obviously, for such a specialized service, she could charge basically anything she liked. But it also meant that she was getting new samples of creatures that might have otherwise been barred to their work before. Some of her scientists were already growing uneasy about the nature of the last few custom orders, but Cass was keeping an eye on them.... as well as those who seemed to crave the challenge. She had kept almost the entire science staff when she had bought out Genu-Tech, and she already was considering where it would be appropriate to cull.

Her assistant buzzed in her three o'clock, and Cass was already standing, coming out from around her desk. At least this one was humanoid, not like that whipid, but she kept her expression cheerful and friendly because goodness this woman was bald.

Did.... did she know?

She must.

Holding out her hand to shake, she smiled brightly.

"Welcome to GenPals. My name is Cassandra Paige."

[member="Darth Ophidia"]

"Maíca Taugris, Charmed."

She did not take the hand or shake it, but showed her palms and bowed at the waste. It was a legitimate greeting for many peoples in may places, especially in the Unknown Regions.

Bald indeed, her head was veritably polished like a pearly dome of ashen skin, decorated with two stripes of faded black ink pierced into her skin many years ago. Silver triangles were clamped onto her earlobes, accentuating the long, slender neck that jutted out from the high, closed collar of her simple, but smart tunic. Darth Ophidia looked little like her self if one knew her. Thanks to the red sash bound around her waist and its alchemical influence, she had tweaked her appearance just so: The scars were gone, but the years remained. The unnatural fire of her eyes had been replaced with the cold blue of a summer sky. Even her presence was unusually benign.

She looked noble, regal even, yet unassuming in the strangest of ways - As if, when she walked out of a room, she also walked out of one's memories. Safe to say, she did not leave Cassandra's side for the remainder of the transaction.

"I thank you for accepting me on such short notice."

She smiled, pleasantly. Yet, there was something off to it, a playfulness to the purple lips and a knowing in her eyes that felt just a little off. Ophidia had made her inquiries about this Cassandra Paige, and the reading had been a treat. As she blinked, the playfulness in her eye was tucked away, as if it had never been there to begin with.

[member="Cassandra Paige"]

A non-Force user, the subtleties of just how and why Ophidia wasn't quite right were lost on the redhead. Her illusions and toys worked exactly the way they were meant to- Cass saw exactly what the other woman wanted her to see. Of course, there was just enough that wanted to leave the woman unbalanced and confused that she could tell something was off.

But the what, precisely, eluded her.

She blinked as if she almost had it and then it was gone again.

She didn't like it one bit.

Returning her hand back to her side, she did not return the gesture, but inclined her head to recognize it.

"Well Ms. Taugris, we at GenPals to strive to meet our customers with special-"

Cass almost said needs, and thought better of it for some reason. Cass was many things. But an idiot was not one of them. While she might attempt a certain, deniable, friendly snideness at other times, there was a hint of something that made her refrain.

"Requests," she said instead. "Personally and as quickly as possible. Please, sit?" She gestured to the plush chairs on this side of the desk. "Can I order you refreshment? Caf? Tea?"

[member="Darth Ophidia"]

"Tea, Tea would be nice."

Ophidia moved around the plush chairs and sat down with a practised grace. Her hands folded in her lap, and all the while she watched Cassandra move about. Oh, she knew well of what she had initially wanted to say. It was written on her presence, and rather amused Ophidia.

"Your attention and expedience in the matter is most pleasing to me, Miss Paige."

She smiled, looking completely sincere. There was nothing unsettling to this smile, not in itself, anyhow. It showed perfectly straight, white teeth between her purple lips as they curled gently.

"No extras in the tea, please. I prefer it plain." "Your products thus far have left an impression, I commend your creativity and your enterprise. Who else could make the fearsome sarlacc into a household pet? Or make Banthas smell so good" Her mirth was polite, brief, political. "Ingenious really."

Purple lipstick should be banned, Cass decided.

Pushing a button on her desk, she ordered the requested beverage, settling down herself a moment later. Once the drink was brought in and settled in the other.... woman's..... hand, she tilted her head and smiled.

"Thank you, very kind words," she said sincerely. This kind of verbal sparring, until someone got the point, was as easy as breathing for her. Sometimes it irritated her more than others, but she always understood that there was necessity to it.

"While I formulate the ideas, it is my science team that does the hard work," she said with a humility that appeared genuine enough. Certain lies came easier than others, and Cass had a sister that used this one all too frequently. "It sounds like perhaps you have something to spark their creativity? Perhaps to challenge them? They do so love a good challenge."

[member="Darth Ophidia"]

The Rattataki accepted the cup, blew on the steam to distract momentarily from her checking it for poison through sight and scent, and tasted it. She did not drink the first sip, just tasted, again for poison. Only the keenest eye would pick it up, to any other, she just appeared to cool the tea and have a small sip.

"Delicious."

Ophidia set the cup down as Cassandra spoke again, bringing them over on the matter at hand.

"Ah yes, my request." She shifted in her seat, leaning back. "From my purchase of a specimen of your Smolaccs, I understand you work with Sarlacc DNA. One day as I was feeding it, I realised a potential for the creature that I had never before considered."

"I want you to make them bigger, not real size, but about three meters deep, and I would like to be able to feed it meat."

"You see, I have a particular love for these creatures and their symbolism to the natives of Tatooine and Felucia. While I am also very concerned with sustainability of living, my business leaves a certain amount of organic waste. and it seems these creatures can complete the organic circle my compound requires by disposing of that organic waste."

She picked up the cup again and took another sip, allowing Cassandra to interject if she wished.

There was, of course, no poison. And Cass didn't even realize that's what the woman was checking for.

She mulled for a moment, obviously considering. Oh, they could do it. Very easily. But it was better in this case if it looked like there might be challenges. The main one, for Cass, was the potential loss of repeat business. GenPals were engineered to need a proprietary nutrient profile- a particular combination of amino acids only available in small amounts in most food that they bumped up in their own feed. GenPals animals were not inexpensive, but it was the lifetime maintenance that would feed the company's growth.

"It's possible," she allowed slowly.

If the part about how the woman had apparently copious amounts of random meat left over in her life bothered her, she showed no sign. She had noticed it of course, and filed it away. There were only so many things one could do that would generate that as a left over. Cass knew one of them personally- GenPals generated a large amount of left overs, especially in early testing phases, but also culls that could not be sold. She suspected that was not the situation for the woman seated across from her however.

She just didn't care.

That wasn't her business. And if it was what she suspected? Well. Better not to ask for clarification, to know.

Plausible deniability.

"Part of the process of our animal's creation leaves them with certain needs. Perhaps a supplement to take care of them? It would guarantee the health, while still allowing for your.... particular needs."

She knew they could. They already had for one special order after all.

"Otherwise, I see no issue. In fact, I dare say one three meters would have better overall health and longevity over the counter top ones."

[member="Darth Ophidia"]

Cassandra not caring as long as the revenue kept coming, that was exactly what Ophidia was banking on, and exactly why she had come to GenPals. If they had made anything other than the cute and cuddly beasts they did, then there would certainly be sanctions from one or two galactic governments. To Ophidia, GenPals seemed liked the kind of company that put deniability of fault above legitimate ethical concerns, which fit her perfectly.

"I will accept a steady purchase of vitamin supplements in order to comply with your company policies, as long as it can be administered outside of its feeding habits. Say, as a frequent injection or drip. With a stationary creature such as this, I should think that would be possible?"

She smiled, pleasingly this time. Hiding her own expertise in creature-design.

"Not that I am an expert in these things."

She waved away the potential further suspicion about who or what she knew. It seemed their meeting was coming to an end, her cup of tea was nearing empty. The Rattataki rose up in her full height, head held regally high on her slender neck.

"It seems to me like you have enough to work with for now. I will be looking forward to seeing your product first hand."

She folded her hands in front of her abdomen, as she had when she came in, head inclined slightly to the side as her mid-section bent ever so slightly in a courteous bow.

"Until then, miss Paige."

"Of course," Cass said smoothly, standing up when the other woman did.

"I can inform our scientists of your requirements. If there is any issue we will of course contact you with what solutions was can offer instead."

She wasn't sure she entirely bought the modesty. It rang just a note off, a note flat perhaps. It wasn't something in a million years she would call the other woman on- first off she might be wrong and second off.... did it matter? If she were coming here, to them for this order, it meant she needed it and would pay good money for it.

And that was all that *really* mattered.

"A pleasure doing business with you, Ms. Taugris," she said with a smile, inclining her own head in return.

The easiest yet of the GenPals special orders, it would be ready, to her specifications in a matter of weeks. Most of that time was dedicated simply to the growing out of her order, rather than in any significant genetic manipulation.

After all, as far as GenPals was concerned, they had just made a tidy profit on something that had been a cull from the original line.

Cass was pleased.

[member="Darth Ophidia"]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom