Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

J2 Nebula-in-a-Can

Status
Not open for further replies.
escapepod_deltaflyer.jpg

Image Source:
Here
Intent: To create a unique product for establishing cover in space
Development Thread: N/A
Manufacturer: Corellian Engineering
Model: J2 Gaseous Dispersal Tank, more commonly known as "Nebula-in-a-Can"
Affiliation: Independent
Modularity: Minor
Production: Minor
Material: Durasteel
Description: The inspiration for the J2 Gaseous Dispersal Tank was designed to transport quantities of gas between star systems. However an upstart entrepreneur saw military applications and set out to develop the J2 Gaseous Dispersal Tank. Coming in a variety of sizes, from a 10 by 4 by 4 meter container to a colossal 1,600 by 400 by 400 container to be towed into place. These containers have multiple disintegration nodules that completely destroy the container upon activation. The exact amount of gaseous payload varies depending on the gas.

While these containers can create large artificial nebula, it takes time for the dispersal to achieve maximum effectiveness. The larger the container, the more time is needed to allow dispersal, up to a month for multiple Class IV pods.

Class I: 10 by 4 by 4 meters

Class II: 100 by 30 by 30 meters
Class III: 750 by 150 by 150 meters
Class IV: 1,600 by 400 by 400 meters

Valik

Professor of Alchemy
[member="Ayden Cater"]

Exactly how much does the gas disperse after the can is detonated? How long does it last? Could some of the smaller cans be put in a warhead launcher? How well do they 'stack' when put together? Are the 1600's the only ones that need to be tow-cabled?

[member="Valik"]

The amount varies depending on the size but is roughly equivalent to a compressed gas volume equal to the size of the container. It's duration would vary depending on the method of dispersement and volume. If the gravity of the gas is great enough, and assuming the dispersement is not overly violent, the nebula field would stabilize and it would be permanent.

In theory, I suppose it could be modified to fire from a heavy warhead launcher. But it would be much like shooting spitballs at an armored soldier. Its combat effectiveness would be nil.

The Class III and IV modules I imagine would have to be towed into place.

Valik

Professor of Alchemy
My question wasn't really about combat effectiveness but ease of targeting and dispersal. As for the Gas dispersal, I like the science behind the gravity keeping it together(Though I'm fairly certain it'd also be pulled towards any ships in the area), but having it remain permanently doesn't really sit well with me. I just don't like the idea that someone could take of these in one place and make a little nebula somewhere and forever change the starmaps, though I'm not particularly sure of a solution. Perhaps the gas has some unique quality that allows Mynocks or some other space-faring creature to eat at it over time as opposed to a regular nebula? Also, the thought of nearly instantly deployable cover in space where nothing like that has existed before is troublesome, particularly without any dev threads being done towards it. I'm cool with Class I and II being approved without a dev thread, but heavy cruiser and SD-sized clouds are pushing it. I can approve one and two now if you wish, and let you dev thread to make the larger ones later through Submission Modification, but I want work put in before III and IV hit the market.

[member="Ayden Cater"]

[member="Valik"]

To be upfront, I don't feel like there's a problem with such a thing being permanent, as it would take years to generate a nebula close to any natural phenomena, and I'm not sure what would I need to do to dev thread for packing gas into a canister.

Valik

Professor of Alchemy
[member="Ayden Cater"]

After extensive discussion with our local physics PHD Raziel I've determined that this would not work as intended, rather than creating a nebula the gas would disperse nearly instantaneously, giving you perhaps a second, maybe two, of cover. You're going to need to put in a dev thread to give me a reason that these gas particles would stay together(Hint hint, electromagnetic force is a fethton stronger than gravitational force. Give them a charge.), and an amount of time that they would do so, as combating the dispersal isn't permanently feasible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom