Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ithari Swarm Frigates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cedric Dorn

C
dsfg_zps91cd31ba.jpg
Intent: To Create a Mass-Produced common ship for the Moross Crusade to utilize in their great journey.

Development Thread:

Manufacturer: Moross Shipwrights

Model: Ithari Swarm Frigates(ISF's)

Affiliation: Moross Crusade

Modularity: Yes

Production: Mass-Produced

Material: Durasteel/The Tears of Religious Orphans

Description: The Ithari Swarm Frigates exist for one reason and one reason alone, to serve as the central backbone of the Moross fleet. These frigates are the ship that are most often associated with the Moross Religion, and its Crusade. The ship itself is fearsome looking, with its features being “squid-like”. Its front appears to have four claws, tow on either side and a central pair of “jaws” within the middle, this is part of a weapons system though it gives the Frigate a truly fearsome appearance when it first shows its face in combat.
Aside from their appearance the Ithari Swarm Frigates are in fact rather normal ships of their size. Their main combat roll is to lay down firepower alongside the heavier Destroyer classes within their fleet, though groups of these ships do perfectly well on their own. The Ithari Swarm Frigates have absolutely no fighters aboard, because of this they are reliant on other ships and their own point defense laser cannons against Starfighters and bombers, this makes the ship rather vulnerable to strafing runs from smaller craft. The reason for this lack of a hangar is to allow the ISF's to have a larger reactor to allow more power for its main weapon system.
The Main weapon of the Ithari Swarm Frigate is a powerful Composite Beam Laser. This weapon is of the exact same design as the Death Star Super Laser, albeit at a far reduced scale. The weapon first gathers power in five designated points at the front of the ship, at the end of each of the four “claws” and then in the center of the middle jaws. The energy is then guided with a carefully calibrated system and the power is launched out towards the target in a 3-5 second burst. This beam is extremely powerful with a 5 second hit doing a considerable amount of damage to current day shielding and multiple hits taking them down entirely. The damage upon the hull of a starship is intensely damaging, essentially cutting through a hull and causing massive explosive decompression.
The power of this main weapon has a huge drawback however, for 1-2 minutes after firing(depending on how long the beam was utilized) the ISF's goes through severe power deficiency's. These deficiency's include being unable to use energy weapons(Turbo&Laser Cannons), Inability to jump to Hyperspace, decreased maneuverability, and weakened shielding. These drawbacks make using the weapon incredibly dangerous for the crew of the Swarm Frigates, especially in the middle of combat. Generally the weapon is used at the very start of an engagement with 4-5 Swarm Frigates opening a salvo with a single blast of the beam weapon and a wave of Concussion missiles. This will soften the enemy ships shields and allow the turbo-lasers of the Swarm Frigates to “mop up”.
The main weapon of the Ithari Swarm Frigate also make it so the ship is capable of orbital bombarding in a surprisingly destructive way. The ship itself is able to use the beam to “Glass” a planet. They do this by simply shutting off all non-critical systems on board the ship. This includes Shields, engines, weapons, lights, sensors, and anything else the crew doesn't need to survive. All this extra energy is then channeled into the Main Weapon and fired. This allows the main weapon to be fired at a constant rate instead of in 3-5 second bursts. This makes the ISF incredibly destructive...though of course it also makes it incredibly vulnerable. In this state the ISF essentially becomes a defenseless weapons platform, 2-3 proton torpedoes would destroy it almost instantly.

Classification: Frigate

Role: To be the main backbone of the Moross Fleet.

Height: 120m

Width: 200m

Length: 525m

Power Core Generator/Reactor: I-a2b solar ionization reactor

Hyperdrive Rating: 2.0

Minimum Crew: 200

Optimal Crew: 1400

Armaments:
-1 Composite Beam laser*
-10 Heavy Turbo laser Batteries
-15 point defense laser cannons
-5 Concussion Missiles Tubes

Hangar: 10-15 Transports (Various)

Passenger Capacity:
-1,000 Soldiers
-20 Armor Vehicles

Cargo Capacity: 5000 Tons

Consumables: 1 year

Sublight Speed and Maneuverability: 7

@[member="Soliael Devin Talith"]

Let's go over this point by point.

• The vessel's length measurements are too large for a mass-produced ship belonging to a Minor Faction. There is a provision for this, but that will be covered later.
  • No Composite Beam. It's been disallowed in prior decisions and it's be denied for this in turn.
  • The Optimum and Minimum Crew numbers are backwards.
  • The number of Concussion Missile Tubes is far too large for a vessel of this size. Down to 2 Tubes or 5.
  • What type of Transport is this carrying, specifically?

As for what I mentioned in terms of length, every Minor Faction is allowed one PC-captained vessel at up to 1000m. We can make this a unique entry, with the aforementioned edits (excluding length) if you wish to maintain the length.

Cedric Dorn

C
I have made a few of the edits though i would like to argue some points if you don't mind.

~Firstly I was told that up to 600m is acceptable for a mass-produced vessel for a minor faction, i can scale this down though to 400m as i believe thats the limit for normal ships anyway(i may be wrong here).
~Secondly the no composite beam lasers...are you sure about this? I have multiple submission approved that utilize such a weapon on multiple accounts through multiple factions. Here is one of them for example

Someone fed you erroneous information then.

"An individual character may not create a ship greater than 400 meters in length. Such ships must be owned by a Faction (Major or Minor), and may be captained by the character, but in case of leaving will not go with them without exceptional circumstances. Station designs will be on a case by case basis, but do not expect them to be more than a handful of kilometres.

Minor factions are permitted unique, PC-captained ships up to a length of 1,000 meters. New Major factions are allowed mass-produced ships up to 1,000 meters in length. A faction development thread will allow the Major faction build up to the present cap of 2,000 meters." - Factory Rules

I see no mention of Minor Factions being allowed mass production of anything past 400m. They are allowed one unique, PC-captained vessel of up to 1000m, as I stated, but nothing else. This changes, of course, if the Minor Faction becomes a Major Faction. If you'd like for this to still retain its measurements, then we can allow so if it's changed Production to 'Unique' and that it's piloted consistently by your PC.

And as for the linked submission, this prior example makes no mention of retaining an ability to effectively kill all life across the surface of a planet in a single volley. We are veering into territories ordinarily reserved for Death Stars and Sun Crushers. I can't allow it.

Cedric Dorn

C
I think i will hold off on the submission entirely then so that i can utilize it later when Moross moves to a major faction allowing the Ship to maintain its original measurements.

Also Regarding the CBL, perhaps i was not clear in its description but when in orbit the weapon essentially becomes a sustained turbolaser blast. The effects on a planet would be much the same as a planetary bombardment from a Star Destroyer, albeit a bit more thorough. In order to achieve planetary extinction the ship would have to fire for literal days if it were on its own, if an entire fleet were present that time would obviously be cut down to a few hours, but the weapon is essentially the exact same as a Turbo-laser...just its a sustained laser instead of quick short blasts.

Hey! This is isn't pleasant, since we all come away with a black eye, but I'm not allowing this. On the prior discussion, no headway was made and I didn't receive the edits as I asked. As far as I can tell, folk fed you disinformation about what is currently allowed and disallowed. The Composite Beam weaponry is something near and dear to you, but I can't allow it. And I know we'll be turning tails for ages arguing over the fact.

Denied.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom