Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Iron Harvest

Aldric Laurent

A
En Route to Dantooine
Valery Noble Valery Noble

Aldric didn't expect this day to come.

Not any time soon, at least. But here he was, staring at a hyperspace tunnel that would inevitably lead him back to Dantooine. Back home. To a place and a people he had long since left behind. He had been a bit more of a firebrand in his younger days, and really if it had been possible he would stuck behind with his rebel comrades. But they were compromised, and his only chance at continuing the fight lay within the borders of the neighboring Alliance. Aldric struggled with believing he had abandoned Dantooine for a long time, but he found purpose in the SIA. Over time that purpose seemed to fade, as did any chance at rekindling what had once ignited back on his homeworld, leaving him to accept the solitude of a farmer's life on Azbrian.

Everything changed when Valery came back. Now he was back in the fight. The Empire was tightening its grip. And some of those who disagreed were speaking up once more. Aldric had to see things through now. This was his chance to return to his roots, and ensure that what he helped start was not stamped out all over again. All with a Jedi Master, and the love of his life, by his side of course. He wasn't afraid of the Empire. But he was afraid of what might have happened to those he had come to know.

"On the bright side, the area we're going is relatively unpopulated. So Imperial presence is probably light." Aldric smiled a bit, trying to hide some of his nerves.

Val_and_Aldrics_ship.jpg

Enroute to Dantooine
div-orange.png
Outfit: Factory Link
Appearance: Link
Weapons:
Lightsaber
Tag: Aldric Laurent

Hapes had changed a lot for her.

Knowing how important this was to Aldric, Valery tried to keep it suppressed, but she hadn't really been feeling like herself anymore lately. She was more tired, easily agitated and she was struggling to find some joy in her life, especially when she was alone. The only things that had a chance at brightening up her spirits were her daughter and, of course, Aldric, who felt a little tense today. He had ever since she brought up Dantooine at the Gala, and she understood why to an extent. They hadn't talked a lot about his past on Dantooine, especially not the details of what happened there, but she knew that he cared a great deal about the planet and its people.

This could be immensely important but also incredibly challenging at the same time if old friends and comrades were no longer around. The life of a rebel was a dangerous one, after all.

"I hope so, or knowing our luck, we'll be fighting the whole planet again," Valery commented without her usual smile. She had her fiery gaze turned to the stars and took in a deep breath. She wanted to be the woman he had fallen in love with, so she was going to have to do her best not to sour the mood too much. "Are we going to be staying at a rebel base or hide-out? Or something more private?" It was likely they'd be on Dantooine for quite some time, perhaps with occasional trips back, so it was an important detail to her.

Another sigh followed after a moment, and she reached out to place her hand over his, "You feel tense, babe. Is everything alright?" she asked with a shimmer of her overly caring side shining through the clouds around her. She wanted to know if he was just a little nervous, or if something bigger got him worrying.

Aldric Laurent

A
Aldric snorted quietly, "Well all things considered, we got out of that in one piece last time," Not that he wanted a repeat of Sleheyron any time soon. He stared blankly at the navcomputer, before spinning his chair around and standing up to meander, "Guess that depends on how easy they are to reach. And where exactly they are," They knew the general, not the specific. Not yet at least. "I figured we'd… check in on my mother, first." He said, rubbing his hands. They hadn't seen each other in a long time. He wanted to know how she was doing. For all he suspected, the Empire had kept close tabs on her specifically, given her affiliation to Aldric himself.

Valery pulled his thoughts back to her, and Aldric looked up, "It's just uh… a lot, you know? We're running into the fire on little more than hope," He was always one who preferred a plan. So he was naturally antsy to just wing it. But when it came to this situation, he'd take whatever slim opportunity he could to find things out for himself. "Don't know what's waiting for us. And who." Who might still be there. Who might not.

"…What about you? I don't wanna pry Val, but… you haven't quite seemed completely put together yourself," Aldric smiled sadly.

Val_and_Aldrics_ship.jpg

Enroute to Dantooine
div-orange.png
Weapons:
Lightsaber

"We did but that whole assignment was... rough," Valery said, and it was clearly an understatement. She literally wasn't able to walk out of the encounter with the Dark Jedi herself and needed to be carried back to a medical facility. Hopefully, this would be different, even though it was likely just as dangerous, if not more with them being behind enemy lines of a major power in the Galaxy.

In response to his uncertainty about where they'd be staying, Valery just nodded idly but the mention of his mother got her to perk up just a little. She was happy for him to finally see her again, and the woman had sounded like quite a loving mother, but she was still a little nervous about it. This was the first time she had a relationship that involved meeting relatives. Or well, relatives who wouldn't try to kill her, anyway. "I'm sure she'll be happy to see you..." Valery said with a faint smile tugging at her lips that almost felt forced, even though this one wasn't.

"It's going to be alright," she then tried to assure him when her comment got him to open up about it. "Things will have changed, they always do, but the core of what they believe in will still be the same. The risks are still there, the odds will still be against us and we're relying a lot on hope and maybe even luck. But if anybody can make it all work with just those things, it's you." Her tone was a little on the professional side, but clearly with a caring touch for him. She was here to support him no matter how much she struggled herself.

"…What about you? I don't wanna pry Val, but… you haven't quite seemed completely put together yourself,"

She frowned, "I'm not put together?" she asked, but quickly realized it was a bit too aggressive for what was a question he asked because he cared. Valery just sighed and turned in her chair, so she wasn't looking directly at him. "I'll be fine... I'm just not in the best mood after everything." While true, she was probably a little too closed off.

Aldric Laurent

A
That got Aldric to smile slightly, "...Yeah," Of that he had no doubt, but were so many variables that he couldn't help but wonder how fate might try to pull the rug out from under them. If she was even still there, or if she was still… alive. He shook his head, refusing to think like that. He had to believe otherwise. Valery's pep talk made him stand a little taller, but it was quickly overshadowed by her response to his own questioning.

Aldric tugged awkwardly at his collar, having not expected a reaction quite that sharp from her, "T-that's not what I meant-" He trailed off, letting her expound. Although it ended up being more of a dismissal than a genuine talk. Aldric stepped closer, resting his hand on the back of her chair, "...This is about Hapes?" She had been pretty upset about how that night turned out, not that he could blame her. It seemed like it was ever since that point that she had felt a bit different.

Val_and_Aldrics_ship.jpg

Enroute to Dantooine
div-orange.png
Weapons:
Lightsaber

When she heard his reaction to her snapping at him a little, Valery instantly regretted her attitude and sank back into her chair. Difficult times made her more frustrated, and that in turn could make things worse. A negative feedback loop that she didn't want to affect her relationship with Aldric. "I'm sorry, babe..." she said when he stepped over and placed his hand on the back of her chair.

Valery reached up, took his hand, and pulled down his arm to hold it, and so she could lean the side of her head against it for comfort. "Hapes was just... the last straw. I've been tired and so much has been going wrong that I've been feeling overwhelmed. Friends and people around me push me to take a break, and when I do..." she drew in a deep breath and paused for a moment. "Hapes happens."

Her eyes turned up to search for his and she frowned, "But I also encountered someone again who I can't get out of my head. We once believed him to be a clone of Kahlil but my late husband apparently was a clone." Which didn't matter to her at all. "I ran into him again and tried my best to turn him away from his path and not give in to all the suffering he caused. But... it's been hard."

While getting this off her chest helped a little, she was also clearly and visibly feeling bad that this trip, which was more about his past, was being turned sour by her problems. "I'll be okay though. I want to go to Dantooine with you and focus on things that really matter."

Last edited:

Aldric Laurent

A
Aldric nodded slowly as he listened. Val apologized, and spilled her feelings that had begun to bubble over recently. It had been more or less what he expected- or, at least the first part was: So many times, her attempts to forget the war and the work only ended with it all blowing back up in her face. Not hard to imagine why that was frustrating and exhausting.

The less expected part came when she made mention of a Kahlil clone. More specifically, the "original" Kahlil, from which her late husband was evidently cloned. Aldric blinked, clearly taken aback by the development, "O-oh. I'm sorry Val. That's- I can't imagine how much that is to take in," It didn't change who Kahlil was in life, but the truth was nonetheless a bit jarring to hear. "Should we be concerned about him?" What he might do, to her or her family. Dantooine was their main focus now, but ignoring the other problems wasn't going to help them in the long run.

The vortex of hyperspace dissipated into a view of the grassy plains of Dantooine before them. Aldric grunted, an unspoken confirmation that they had arrived.

Val_and_Aldrics_ship.jpg

Enroute to Dantooine
div-orange.png
Weapons:
Lightsaber

Valery held onto his arm because of the comfort it offered and smiled faintly again when he gave her his support. She really needed him to get through these difficult times now, and she knew he'd be there for both her amd Vera. With that comforting thought soothing her mind, she glanced up to clarify more and answer his question. "The first time I met him, he pretended to be my partner, and when I hugged him, he stabbed me through the gut with his lightsaber." She frowned but felt it was important to share these details, as they clearly showed Kaahlil's brutality.

"I nearly died that day and he has been a threat ever since, just like his father is..." She paused and seemed to grow more uncomfortable for a moment. "What scares me most is that he's willing to hurt or capture Vera to get to me as well. But also you..." She squeezed his arm and sighed as the ship dropped out of hyperspace. She looked at the planet for a long moment before she finally decided to set aside Kaahlil for now.

They were here to focus on other, really important things.

"I'm going to make sure he can't hurt us, with your help, but now I want to focus on you. On this planet and the things you hold dear." Her smile brightened as she looked up at him for the first time since before the attack that interrupted their fun on Hapes.

"Speaking of which...how do you think your mother will respond to me? To us? Should I have dressed differently..?." She looked down at her usual Jedi attire and blinked. Was it appropriate or would it feel weird to the woman who had raised the love of her life?

She looked nervously at him for answers - this was the first time she ever met normal relatives of a romantic partner.

Last edited:

Aldric Laurent

A
Aldric winced at the thought of Valery being so cruelly tricked. As much as he'd hoped otherwise, he knew in all likelihood this was going to be trouble sooner or later. For now they had more immediate things to attend to, but it was only a matter of time. It always was, in their lives.

When Valery spoke of her clothes, Aldric just looked down and chuckled, "You'll be fine. We're already arriving unplanned anyway," There would be plenty of other things on her mind besides how Valery dressed.

Aldric took the ship in, breaking through the atmosphere to give them a full view of Dantooine's vast savannahs. They flew off to an isolated rural area, with sparse buildings and homes. They landed just outside a home at the far edge of the 'town', up a hill that overlooked the area. Aldric stood up, and sighed, "Ready?"

dantooine.png

Dantooine
div-orange.png
Weapons:
Lightsaber

"Exactlyyy, so what if it's inconvenient timing?" Valery sighed and watched Aldric take the ship in, which only got her nervousness to grow. It likely would until she had a proper sign that it was going to be alright. So for now, as they landed and readied themselves to get going, Valery stood up and walked over to him to take his hand. Partially for her own comfort, but she also knew that he was a little tense about coming here.

"I'm ready, let's do this," Valery said as she interlaced her fingers with his and took the steps down the ramp together with him.

Hand-in-hand, they stepped out into the beautiful terrain of Dantooine, where Valery stopped for just a moment to closer her eyes and enjoy the fresh air blowing through her long hair. It waved along with the currents and finally, Valery seemed to have some peace of mind. This wasn't their mission yet, and while it was a little scary to meet his mother, she could find joy in this moment together as well.

"It's so beautiful here..." If only it wasn't within the Empire — she could easily imagine herself living here. Watching Vera run off through fields of tall grass laughing, tending to a garden while she wasn't working as a Jedi, and being close together with the man who had filled a huge gap in her heart.

She seemed just a little happier again at those thoughts.

Aldric Laurent

A
"Well, it's not like we can just reschedule right?" Aldric smirked a bit, "Nothing to be done. So let's just take it in stride, hm?" Of all the things they were here to do, meeting his mother should arguably be the least stressful. Still, it would be a lie to say he was completely free of frayed nerves himself, and he could understand why Valery felt that way as well. He'd certainly be a bit anxious about meeting her father or mother, if that were even a possibility.

They stepped off the ramp hand-in-hand, and Aldric gave her a reaffirming nod as they hit the small dirt path guiding the way to the Laurent farmhouse: a small little home surrounded by fields of gold. A rickety windmill loomed beside it, rotating steadily in the Dantooine breeze. It was quiet, spare the churn of the mill and the rustling of wind through grass.

Aldric was immediately struck by returning childhood memories. The house had hardly changed at all. As they got closer, the jingling of wind chimes hanging from the porch joined in the gentle symphony. "It is," He sighed contentedly, taking in a deep breath of unspoiled air.

Despite that contentedness, he gradually slowed as they reached the front door, becoming a bit more careful with each step. It was a strange concotiion of emotions all hitting him at once. What lay beyond that entrance, he couldn't be certain. Not until they saw for themselves. With another deep breath, Aldric raised a hand, and knocked three times.

A bit of time passed in complete silence, as if no one were home. He looked to Valery curiously, and had just raised his hand to knock again, when the sound of a lock unlatching pulled his attention back. The door opened, revealing an old woman with kind features. She seemed rather healthy for her age, no doubt a consequence of self-reliant farm life. There was some notable similarity between her and Aldric, ensuring the certainty of their relation. Unlike him, she had light sandy blonde hair, though most of it has since been overtaken by gray in her growing age. It was shoulder length, wound into a tight bun, and her gentle eyes were bluish-green.

Aldric blinked, taken aback by a sight that was simultaneously familiar and different. She had aged, no doubt, but that was indeed his mother. He opened his mouth to speak, to introduce himself, but apparently she had no need for it, "...Aldric?" The woman said, immediately recognizing her son. He broke into a smile, "Y-yeah, mom," They embraced, and after a few long moments broke apart.

"I didn't think I was gonna get to see you again," Aldric admitted.

She smiled, "Oh, dear, I never had any doubt." His mother finally looked at the stranger between them now, eyeing her up and down with a suspicion that seemed to indicate she at least had a guess as to who Val was to Aldric. He spoke up at first, "M-mom, this is-" She then raised a hand to cut him off, "I'm Edeth, Aldric's mother. You are…?" Her tone was prying, but not demanding.

dantooine.png

Dantooine
div-orange.png
Weapons:
Lightsaber

"Yeah, yeah, you're right..." she squeezed his hand one last time and joined him to approach the farmstead. Everything about it explained why he had retreated to Azbrian for a quiet life when he left the SIA the first time around. This is the environment he grew up in, what he likely felt comfortable with, and perhaps what he wanted to return to again someday. Although no longer alone and completely isolated like he had been on Azbrian

If everything continued to go so well, she hoped to be there. With him and their kids.

As they made their approach, Valery remained quiet and just looked up at Aldric as memories resurfaced, and with them, a joy from the past that calmly echoed through the Force just like the wind did through the tall, golden grass. All her stress, nervousness, and discomfort faded away in that very moment — his calm and peace shielded her from the feelings that had bothered her so much. But when they stepped up to the door and Aldric knocked three times, she did feel a shiver going up her spine again. This really was the moment.

A long silence continued, and Valery turned her head to meet his gaze with equal curiosity. But before they could talk or knock again, she heard the door opening and froze up completely. Her posture was stiff and her smile awkward when an older woman opened the door. She could instantly tell that it was Aldric's mother, both because of her appearance and the way she brightened up in the Force when she saw her son again. It was a kind of affection unique to mothers, and she very much understood it. Valery's smile warmed up as a result, and it was only after their long embrace and a brief exchange of words, that she dipped her head to the woman and extended a hand.

She had finally gotten used to greeting people in the 'normal' way.

"I'm Valery Noble, a Jedi, and your son's girlfriend," Valery said. Aldric would clearly recognize the nervousness in her tone, but she did her best to push passed it and maintain some conversation. "It's a pleasure to meet you, Mrs. Laurent. Aldric has told me much about you, so I'm glad we were able to finally come here and meet." She just hoped that the rather unannounced nature of it would be appreciated.

But given the way she had hugged her son, they started on a positive note.

"We would have sent a message but we couldn't risk it with the Imperial presence here."

Aldric Laurent

A
Edeth took the offered hand, and despite her widening eyes, the woman's faint grin was knowing, "Girlfriend? You mean you ain't married yet, Aldric?" He coughed awkwardly, and shook his head, "Mom…"

Her grin widened, "What? Handsome boy like yourself, stuck in his thirties without a ring on his finger?" Mrs. Laurent was quick to settle into something familiar to them both. Teasing her son as if they had never been apart. She scoffed at the mention of Imperials, and waved them both back through the door, "Come in, make yourselves at home."

The interior was quaint and cozy. Humble in contents, but clearly decorated and maintained with care. Edeth walked into the kitchen "Just made a bit of tea, if you'd like any," She came back out a moment later with the pot in hand, and a few cups, setting them down on the coffee table in the living room. Aldric took a seat on the couch, while she eased into the chair beside the short end of the table.

"So, Valery, yes? It's nice to meet you. I trust my son has been a proper gentleman for you?" She eyed him again, and he chuckled, "I like to think I raised him as such."

"What is it you all do?"

dantooine.png

Dantooine
div-orange.png
Weapons:
Lightsaber

While Valery had expected a gentle shaking of hands and an invitation to come inside, Edeth first decided to take a teasing jab at her son, but one that got Valery to faintly blush as well. "We haven't been together for very long and decided to take things... slow," Valery explained on his behalf, knowing that this wasn't the time to also go on a playful offensive. She only shot him a brief smirk when they were let inside, as the whole motherly teasing made him awfully quiet.

He wasn't the most talkative person in the Galaxy, but this was definitely interesting. Especially because they were meeting his mother.

"I'd love some tea, thank you," Valery said with a kind tone and a bright smile, as she sat down on the couch, close to Aldric, and looked around Mrs. Laurent's home. It reminded her of his old place on Azbrian, so whether it was really true or not, she labeled him a momma's boy in her mind, and only showed that with a slightly devilish smirk. When Edeth addressed her again, Valery looked back and nodded. "You've raised him well, Mrs. Laurent. We met through work and he has always been very professional and proper," Valery said, enjoying this because she knew he was a little trapped between two women who knew a lot about him now.

"Now that we're together, and even living together, he has been very good for me and my daughter," Valery said calmly until she realized that she mentioned Vera. Her cheeks reddened and she quickly hid behind her cup of tea, before she hoped to use the woman's question to shift topics. "Well, our jobs are different these days. I stepped away from the SIA to focus a little more on protecting the Alliance in the ongoing wars." She wasn't sure if she should bring up much more — she never liked to brag about her accomplishments or who she was.

"But we do go on missions together, still. That's... part of why we're here, too."

Aldric Laurent

A
Edeth raised her cup and took a sip, eyes shut contently as she listened to Valery speak. The mention of a ‘daughter’ did make her suddenly look back at the woman, “...Daughter?” She repeated, obviously quite curious, but reserving further judgment until she heard all the details. Hearing her son was a good man at least brought some comfort all the same. Aldric looked to Val, but said nothing, believing that it was for her to answer.

Talk of work made her brow only raise higher, “SIA?”

Aldric butted it now, and clarified, “Um- Strategic Intelligence Agency. I’m… well, I’m a field agent.”

Edeth’s look turned into a sly grin, “Never did leave all that rebel stuff behind you, huh? Just moved it somewhere else,”

Aldric then seemed to frown, for just a flicker, before returning to a knowing smile of his own, “I actually did leave it behind. For a bit, anyway; Set up a farm of my own on Azbrian. But Val here convinced me to rejoin. She used to work with me in the SIA. She’s… a Jedi.”

At that, Edeth’s eyes flashed, “Really now… A Jedi?” She looked at Val for confirmation, “And you have a mission here?” Mrs. Laurent was a sharp one, no doubt, picking up on all the little details as they were thrown her way.

dantooine.png

Dantooine
div-orange.png
Weapons:
Lightsaber

"Before I was together with Aldric, I was married and we had a daughter," Valery began, her eyes briefly shifting to Aldric to assure him that the topic was alright to be covered. Painful, but important. "My husband was killed by the Empire, and so I've been raising her alone... well until Aldric came along, and the time was right for him to be involved." It hadn't been like that for very long yet, but his bond with Vera was growing rapidly.

She felt confident that it would be alright, and she hoped Edeth would pick up on that.

Valery then raised her cup of tea up to her lips, and while she carefully sipped from the hot drink, she looked between mother and son with a smile. There was a bit of teasing again, but rather than going into that, Aldric used the opportunity to explain how they met, and who she was. "That's right, I'm of the New Jedi Order," Valery added with an acknowledging dip of her head. "And we do have a mission here..."

She trailed off and looked at Aldric, hoping that he was okay with her talking about it. "I learned of a new rebel cell here on Dantooine, and we decided to work together to help them. Hopefully to keep them from being found and neutralized, and perhaps we can help them make a difference. One step at a time, though." She reached for Aldric's hand and squeezed it gently before looking back at his mother.

"How has life been here on Dantooine? With the Empire."

Aldric Laurent

A
Edeth listened, and nodded solemnly, “I’m very sorry to hear that,” She didn’t linger on it or make much more of a fuss about it. She had lived through her own widowing, and understood that after some time, pity parties were either unnecessary or outright frustrating depending on how it was handled. Granted, her attention to her husband was not quite so endearing as Valery’s.

Edeth gave her son a soft smile and nod, acknowledging the comfort he seemed to provide Valery with ever since. It also explained why Aldric wasn’t married, and didn’t have any kids of his own; They haven’t been dating this entire time. “So you decided you’d just waste away on some agri-world until this nice woman came and picked ya up outta your squalor, eh?” She teased again.

Aldric chuckled, “That’s… sure, mom. That’s one way to put it.”

Edeth looked at Valery and grinned, shaking her head, “Boys.”

Their conversation turned to talk of the Empire. Aldric’s mother sat quiet for a few long moments, not answering as she took a sip of tea. She set it down, then finally spoke, “They monitored this place for a while, y’know. What with you and your brother causing a stir,” she frowned ever so briefly, before continuing, “Guess they wanted to catch you in the act if you ever came back, or tried to reach out to me. I was surprised they didn’t arrest me too, until I realized it was more useful to leave me around as bait.”

Aldric frowned deeply at that, but his mother smiled, “I’m glad you never took it. Would’ve doomed us both.”

“So what about now? They stopped watching?” He asked, already seeming a little more observant of their surroundings.

“We’ve taken care of it.”

A pause, “...We?”

“The rebellion never died, Aldric. It just… reorganized.” She stood up, and gestured for them to follow to a rug towards the back of the room. She threw it off, revealing an inconspicuous floor. Reaching between two of the boards, she pried back a loose one, revealing a panel that, when activated, caused a square cut-out of the floor to just slide away like a basement hatch. “They’ve been busy down there.” There was almost a look of concern on Aldric’s face, which she seemed to read into and responded, “Relax, dear. I’m just a… a watchdog, if you will. Sound the alarm if trouble comes sniffing about."

dantooine.png

Dantooine
div-orange.png
Weapons:
Lightsaber

Aldric had told her about what happened to his father, so it was no surprise to Valery that Edeth knew that she wasn't really interested in lingering on the topic for long. Valery simply smiled at the woman's words and they silently agreed to move on to more important things. Which, of course, involved a little more motherly teasing aimed at her son as well. Valery just grinned in response and placed her hand on Aldric's leg, "He wasn't very hard to convince," she shot him a wink and looked back at his mother, now with that playful spark in her eyes.

"I'd like to think that was because of me, but he did feel compelled to help in the war against the Empire as well. Boys~" Valery reached for her cup of tea again and took a sip while she listened to Edeth and what she had to say about the Empire's presence here on Dantooine. To think that she had been used as bait to get to someone else was... troubling, to say the least, but not surprising given the nature of the Empire.

"That's awful. I can't imagine how it must have been here all these years," Valery commented with a frown but even more surprising was that this elderly woman had seemingly 'taken care of it'. Although not alone, which Aldric picked up on rather quickly as well.

"The rebellion never died, Aldric. It just… reorganized."

"Reorganized?" Valery asked before she got up and followed Edeth to the back of the room, where she slid away a rug, removed a floor panel, and soon revealed a hatch into what she now understood was a rebel hide-out. "But if you have to sound the alarm, they're already here, and they know you've been hiding this," Valery muttered, likely a bit on Aldric's behalf, but she was worried about his mother too, even though they had only just met.

"Those rebel attacks and sabotage missions I've heard about... did it all start here?" She wondered if there were more hide-outs like this, or if Aldric's mother was involved in what remained of the resistance. It didn't surprise her that she was still involved; she was Aldric's mother after all, but to bring it home was far more dangerous. "The Empire has dispatched Imperial Knights to Dantooine now. What if they manage to find this? Your home..."

Aldric Laurent

A
Aldric looked between Val and his mother with a sly squint, silently disapproving of the tag-team teasing they were hitting him with. Edeth just smirked.

Their chat quickly took a turn as Edeth revealed she had been working alongside the rebellion for some time now, presenting them with an open hatch beneath her very home. She looked between them both and brushed it off, "There's more to it than that. Help your mother out, will ya?" She grabbed a flashlight in one hand, and took Aldric's hand in the other to help lower her down the ladder more easily. Once all three were down there, she shined the light further down to reveal a largely empty dugout, but also a long tunnel that stretched a long ways away, much further than just the house property.

"If anyone ever comes snoopin around, I give 'em a signal to book it. Even if they do find the hatch, they'll never catch the rebels themselves." Edeth looked at Valery and shook her head, "Here? No. They operated without me for some time. But a certain friend of Aldric's reached out to me, helped with the surveillance problem. I told him I wanted in."

Aldric blinked, and looked at her, "Friend? Who?"

Edeth gestured down the tunnel, still playing a bit coy, "Go ahead and find 'em for yourself, I'll let the cell know you're coming." She turned to Valery, and suddenly turned a bit more grim at the mention of bringing danger to her home, "Those Imp bastards killed my baby boy. The rebellion is what's left of him."

"The Empire makes radicals of us all, dear."

dantooine.png

Dantooine
div-orange.png
Weapons:
Lightsaber

While Aldric helped his mother down the ladder, Valery watched with a frown and followed only after they were both down. She knew beforehand that the Rebellion was growing in size here on Dantooine, but for his mother to also be involved like this was surprising, and it worried her a little. Seeing all these tunnels, hearing about the plans and organization behind it - she felt that while the rebels were kept relatively shielded, Edeth was in a position that made her the first to be caught if things went wrong.

And she knew the Empire didn't care that she was older and weaker. If the Imperial knights discovered what she was doing here, they would not stop until they got more information about the rebels out of her.

"A friend?" Valery seemed as surprised as Aldric when his mother brought it up, but for a different reason. She of course knew about his rebel past but they hadn't talked much about it, and he had never mentioned specific friends either. Now she felt herself being a little more curious to meet this man, both because of his ties to Aldric and because he was part of the reason that Edeth was so deeply involved in all of this.

Although, the real reason for it became clear when she brought up Aldric's brother. As a mother herself, Valery could imagine what the loss of a child could do, and it helped her understand why she wanted to help in the fight against the Empire so badly. But to hear it leading to accepting radicalization was not easy from a Jedi's perspective. No matter how big the monster was that one was up against, she felt it was important that some lines weren't crossed. She could never risk becoming the monster she was trying to fight.

"I'm...so sorry for your loss," Valery began but with a look of concern Aldric would easily pick up on. "But how do these rebels fight the Empire? I understand that something must be done but aren't you worried that it can be too... much?"

Revenge will not bring back your son, is what she was getting at but dared not voice out loud, knowing how much a child meant to a mother. She already felt bad enough for questioning the rebels during their first meeting, but she wasn't going to sacrifice all of her beliefs just for the cause.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom