Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech Ionizing Field Generator

Status
Not open for further replies.
In Umbris Potestas Est
OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
  • Intent: To create a smaller, much more practical device operating along the same principles as the Planet Prison, but on a much smaller, far below superweapon-level scale.
  • Image Source: N/A
  • Canon Link: http://starwars.wiki...i/Planet_Prison
  • Restricted Missions: N/A
  • Primary Source: N/A
PRODUCTION INFORMATION
TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS
  • Classification: Ion
  • Size: Extreme
  • Weight: Extreme​(About the size of an AT-AT)
  • Ammunition Type: Power generator
  • Ammunition Capacity: Effectively infinite

• Reload Speed: None
  • Effective Range: Battlefield
  • Rate of Fire: Very Low
  • Stopping Power: Very High
  • Recoil: None
SPECIAL FEATURES
  • Generates an ionizing field over a span of several dozen square kilometers in the upper atmosphere of a planet, acting similarly to a planetary ion cannon by disabling spacecraft trying to approach the battlefield from orbit. Ships specifically designed to fit ion-resistant technology may be able to penetrate the field.
Strengths:​
  • The ionizing field effectively prevents enemy spacecraft from landing troops or providing air support, forcing them to land troops, vehicles, and repulsorcraft a good distance away from the battlefield, preventing enemy forces from receiving assistance or alternatively preventing them from landing and establishing a beachhead there.
Weaknesses:​
  • The ionizing field is indiscriminate. Any and all friendly fightercraft attempting to enter the atmosphere, as well as vehicle transports, shuttles, etc. will be disabled too, effectively cutting off the allied forces on the planet and potentially allowing them to be overrun.
DESCRIPTION
The concepts of the Planet Prison, an ancient Galactic Republic superweapon, intrigued Vanessa Vantai, who began small scale tests of a similar weapon using Fragmentor and Scrapmetal-class drones on the surface of the planet X-377E. The ionizing field generator was born after some months of testing - initial prototypes could only project an ionizing field over a few hundred meters, but further refinement allowed it to reach the upper atmosphere of a planet, projecting over several dozen square kilometers of land. Though nowhere near as capable as the planet-ionizing Planet Prison, the ionizing field generator, once deployed on a planet, effectively rendered an area the size of a standard galactic battlefield a deathtrap for any fighter-bomber support or landers that would attempt to deploy craft in the area.​

The ionizing field generator works by sending pulses of energy through a series of Luxum crystals, resulting in an extremely ionized pulse of power that is distributed into the atmosphere through the top of the generator. The weapon scatters this constantly pulsed ion energy throughout an area ranging several dozen square kilometers over the entirety of the battlefield before it dissipates. The field spreading through the upper atmosphere allows for vehicles and technology on the planet, as well as most repulsorcraft, to function on the battlefield in question. Each pulse maintains the field as the ions decay.​

Individual ionizing field generators are being deployed with Imperial Army detachments for initial testing. More units will be provided with the technology as it is tested in warfare.​

We're treading very close to the superweapon area right here, and even once we're done hashing this out together, I'm not sure whoever comes behind me will be able to approve it based on concept alone. With that said, let's get to work.

Vanessa Vantai said:
Generates an ionizing field over a span of several dozen square kilometers in the upper atmosphere of a planet, acting similarly to a planetary ion cannon by disabling spacecraft trying to approach the battlefield from orbit.
If you'll put a disclaimer here about ships/vehicles with ion protection not being as affected by this field please. Ion Shields actually exist to protect ships from phenomena like this in outer space.

Vanessa Vantai said:
Rate of Fire: Very Low
Vanessa Vantai said:
Generates an ionizing field over a span of several dozen square kilometers in the upper atmosphere of a planet, acting similarly to a planetary ion cannon by disabling spacecraft trying to approach the battlefield from orbit.
How long does this ionizing field last, especially in comparison to its rate of fire?

Vanessa Vantai said:
Size: Extreme Weight: Extreme
Is this big enough that is has to be a stationary object? Or can this be something mounted on a vehicle?

In Umbris Potestas Est
[member="Gir Quee"]

First part was edited. I figured the field was continuous(eg. like a shield generator), but really couldn't find a rate of fire within the template. I figured that it fired pulses to maintain the field, but again, not sure the best way to put it. The generator is far too large to be mounted on a vehicle, yes, and must thus be static.

Vanessa Vantai said:
I figured the field was continuous(eg. like a shield generator), but really couldn't find a rate of fire within the template. I figured that it fired pulses to maintain the field, but again, not sure the best way to put it.
You may want to have it run in "waves", where a pulse is fired, and it slowly degrades until a new pulse is generated that takes its place.

Vanessa Vantai said:
The generator is far too large to be mounted on a vehicle, yes, and must thus be static.
I'd like to get some solid idea of its size besides "extreme", either using metric dimensions or a rough comparison (like an AT-AT). I think it would also help to know what this looks like roughly, if it's a metallic block or tower.

Vanessa Vantai said:
Ships specifically designed to fit ion shields will be able to penetrate the field.
If you'll make this more general please to incude ion/emp resistant technology. Ion shields are an example of this, of course, but there are other technologies out there that may make a ship more effective at coping with this field.

Vanessa Vantai said:
Affiliation: Sith Empire Modularity: No Production: Limited
I just noticed this, but at this time, "Limited Production" items need to be a bit more affiliation specific than an entire faction. Here's the exact wording in the tech template:

Production: The scale is Unique (Only One Character), Semi-Unique (Maximum of 10 characters), Limited (Only one small group of characters. IE: Small task force, not entire factions.),

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom