Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Into the Fold

Alondra delicately curled her fingers around the fresh cup of tea and softly blew across the steaming surface of the dark brew. Her eyes were fixed on Lan, mirth glittering in their blue-green depths. The prospect of trade was promising, but she wasn't entirely convinced that sending off an experienced team of her counterinsurgency operatives was in Haven's best interest. It would leave them vulnerable to attack, or infiltration.

Her lips pursed slightly and she tongued the inside of her cheek, shaking her head, which caused the glass beads of her headdress to softly clink together. Outright telling the man that she couldn't risk sending the personnel wasn't an option, it would be a clear indicator for how critical of a role they played in the station's security. There was another way, one that was still risky, but she could still manage some sort of control over the situation and protect her people if needed.

She tapped her thumb lightly against the side of her cup, lowering it just enough so that it wasn't in front of her mouth when she started to speak. "There are supplies that we could put to use, or luxury goods that can't be made here on the station. I would be agreeable to opening Haven to a reliable trade partner. In exchange... you could send a small team here to train under my operatives."

Avo Avo

Reactions: Avo
The Jedi gingerly sipped his own tea, forgoing blowing off the steam and letting the scalding liquid wake him up. It singed his tongue slightly, but he kept his composure calm and approachable. Lan swallowed, nodded his head in earnest as the matriarch spoke. It didn't need to be said out loud: the people here desperately needed their security teams for their own. That much was apparent, for who really knew what spare resources and personnel this station had? Surely lots of it was limited, with more valuable goods most likely being rationed. It was something he doubted, the Order would exploit but it played entirely in Lan's favor.

He smiled.

"So you are willing to provide the location of Haven station to the Jedi Order and the Imperium so that we can deliver our goods? As well as allow trained military personnel from the government come here for training?"

Amusement peppered each and every word, the people here on this station would surely be sacrificing some form of their stealth and independence from this trade deal. In order for counterinsurgency troops to come here, they would need to know where. If they wanted their luxury goods, they would need to know where as well.

Lan shrugged. "This sounds like a rather lopsided trade deal to me. What can I do, or offer, in order to skew this back towards being beneficial for you? If you are concerned about the safety of your people, docking and airspace rights can definitely be granted if you are looking for somewhere else to linger." Another sip, this time it was lukewarm and far more bearable. "You'll be far safer near the Core as opposed to out here, in Sith space."

Alondra Lareina Alondra Lareina

Alondra smirked at the Jedi, leaning back in her chair. Her attention idly drifted to the massive pane of glass steel, gazing out over the ice rings for a short while. From here, she could see the tiny forms of the ice haulers flitting from one massive floating block of ice to the next. She raised her chin, gesturing towards the cluster of shuttles that collected the ice from the haulers and then ferried it out of sight to the docks further below.

"You would not be given the exact location of Haven. Instead, your shipments would rendezvous at a locator beacon with my transports. The same would be necessary for personnel coming here as well." Her said simply, then slowly turned her gaze back to Lan.

"I've no interest in living under Jedi rule, Lan. Surely, you understand that. If I bring Haven into the Core, that is begging for further intervention from your people."

Avo Avo

Lan shrugged absentmindedly. This was all okay and well with him. He'd be concerned if she otherwise offered to provide the location of their station to them at all times, as if they had nothing to hide from the Jedi or the greater galaxy. If they did, then that was their business, but hopefully a lasting, amiable relationship would led to these walls chipping away in the future. Baby steps for now.

"All of that is very acceptable," he nodded at her. "And we have no interest in controlling or influencing you either. The offer still stands in the future though, should you ever require a safer haven than Haven."

The wordplay made him grin stupidly at his own joke.

She idly tapped her thumb against the side of her tea cup in thought. Moving to the Core would allow for improved trade, better resources, and new opportunities for those on Haven who were ready to disembark. But it would also detract from her own goals. She yearned for a homeworld to call her own once more.

The station was finally sustainable, but it was still vulnerable. Simply put, life was far more forgiving when there was an actual atmosphere in between you and the nothingness of space.

"I will consider the offer." She finally said after a long pause, then bowed her head to take another sip from her tea.

"So long as you Jedi and that expanding empire in the Core do not try to extend your reach into my domain, I see no reason why we couldn't establish some sort of... normalcy between us."

Avo Avo

He clapped his hands together once, beaming as if he'd won the entire Galactic Lottery and didn't have to pay taxes for it. This was it! Success always tasted so good, so sweet, and it was all thanks to this tentative promise of friendship. Truly, it really was he had came here for and the possibility made him so excited that he couldn't sit still in his seat. The Imperium had its string of unsuccessful partnerships, alliances, and many enemies. So much so that this opportunity from a small station made it all worth it.

The galaxy had too much war and misery for his liking. If they could all just relax with some good food and company, they'd be set for eternity.

"Excellent! That's what I like to hear." He gave a sigh of relief and leaned further back into his chair. "Now with the business part of things out of the way, I'd personally like to know more about this place. Its history, purpose, and what sort of people come to live here. Is is truly a testament to its namesake? Haven?"

Last edited:
It was something of a relief that the Jedi was more interested in the history of the station than in herself. Haven was much easier to talk about and wouldn't lead to more and more questions that she had no interest in answering.

One of her legs laced over the top of the other, her head tilting slightly. There was a hint of a smile at the corner of her eyes, but the expression was mostly reflected in her eyes. Her thumb absently traced over the rim of her cup, tapping a few times every so often, as if she was following a rhythm in her head.

She hummed thoughtfully, leaning further back into her chair.

"It was once a medical research facility, from my understanding. Though by the time I got my hands on her, she was little more than a pirate supply stop." She explained, waving her free hand idly while she spoke.

"Purging them was merely a matter of who wanted the station more. Clearly, that was me." She added with a grin that revealed her pointed incisors.

"As for what we do now..." The Matriarch paused to place her cup of tea down on the table, lightly clasping her hands together over her lap. "I afford those who seek a new life an opportunity to start over. No questions asked, so long as they contribute and don't disturb the peace I've built, they're welcome to stay."

Avo Avo

Lan listened intently, his brow raising every time he heard keywords. Medical facility, pirates, purging. It all seemed like the telltale luck that card players had, especially when winning something that wasn't exactly theirs. People still always talked about the legendary scoundrels of yore, especially Solo and Calrissian and their seemingly infinite supply of luck. For what it was worth, it seemed that this matriarch had her share in spades.

And he only wished it was infectious.

"Anyone? No questions for who a person once was, or will be?" He pursed his lips in thought, sipping his tea gingerly. "So, you could possibly be harboring criminals, lowlives, and Sith for all you know?"

It wasn't meant to be accusatory in any regard.

"Their past selves are of no interest to me. I imagine a good portion of the population here were criminals of some sort, runaway Sith or even Jedi in hiding. If they cause trouble or endanger the Station in any way, they are dealt with." She answered with the faintest hint of a smirk at the corner of her lips.

"If you ever need to escape from that obscenely dull life of negotiations, my door is always open." Her tone was teasing, knowing that the Master would not be interested in a life on Haven.

Absently, she brushed a hand over the top of her skirts to smooth out a few wrinkles that'd taken shape after she'd crossed her legs.

"Will that be an issue for your friends back in the Core? Or did you not wish to discuss business at all now?" She asked with an arched brow.

Avo Avo

The Jedi shrugged absently, his gaze wandering from her face, as if searching for answers in the dwindling, cooling tea.

"No, not for my friends back in the Core. More so for myself." Lan gave her an uneasy smile. "I fear there is a war coming, between like-minded individuals caught up in the wrong place at the wrong time. Darkness grows ever stronger and our leaders are misled, feeding into self-fulfilling prophecies. Insecurity is rampant in the House of Lords, the military is brimming with ready warriors, yet the Jedi tentatively wait to receive this chaos in stride."

The mirialan gently swallowed the rest of the tea, clinking it softly as it was placed back onto its saucer.

"That, and the people here may prove to be good friends of mine. Possibly more so than those in the Imperium." A warm smile crept into existence, his eyes finally coming to rest upon the matriarch.

The honesty that the Jedi showed was both admirable and surprising. She'd expected him to play his cards more closely to his chest, but he seemed genuine in his sentiments. As she watched him, she thought that he might have made an excellent addition to the community that she'd built on Haven. His mention of making closer friends here than those that sent him here was... intriguing. It seemed that the Jedi were not as unified as one might have expected them to be. Interesting.

"It sounds to me like the Jedi and the Imperium may have greater need of you than they do of me and my ilk." She responded with a low chuckle, setting the cup of tea down.

"You invite me to the Core and then inform me that it teeters on the brink of war. Are you hoping to secure my station as a strategic asset?" She asked bluntly, leaning forward to brace her forearms against the edge of the table.

"I offer sanctuary to those who need it, not a staging ground for invasion or war."

Avo Avo

Laughter escaped him like a raging torrent. His body heaved lightly, eyes clenching shut as joyful tears threatened to stream down his cheeks. Preposterous! If the Imperium truly wanted this station as a strategic asset, then they surely sent the wrong person. As his gleeful fit of giggling slowly began to subside, he did his best to mimic her movements. Elbows on the table, leaning in closer as if he had a secret to share.

"Do you really think that the Imperium would send me of all people to secure a strategic asset? Rather than an entire battlegroup and armada, especially since they knew your location?"

The Jedi's giggling returned, albeit far more quietly than before.

"Aye, they may have a great need of me, but the what the Imperium doesn't need is dead Jedi. We are guardians, protectors, sentinels. We are not warriors and never will be. A life spent waging war and leading troops is not my purpose, nor is it for many, many members of the Order. We will do what we must to protect the peace, but I am not going on a campaign against Jedi from another order."

His face slowly hardened to stone. Serious. "I am not going to war."

Lan's laughter actually caused Alondra to smile, a rare expression for the togrurta. His demeanor was somewhat infectious it seemed.

Something he said to her, however, quickly caused the smile to fall from her face. "So the Jedi have taken to conquest and invading if they want something? How the mighty have fallen."

She sighed quietly, shaking her head. "Then why the kriff are you here? I won't do much to stem the tide of war. The Jedi have no want of this place."

His insistence on avoiding war was something Alondra understood. She could sympathize with his situation and sentiments to the looming conflict. It was why she fought so diligently to protect her people.

"That said... your goals and my own may not be so different. I will not be dragged into a senseless war."

Avo Avo

He gave a solemn shake of his head, as if he was deeply sorry for something.

"I may have only told you half of the truth earlier. The Imperium's government as a whole has no idea who you are, or where Haven station is. Only the Jedi Order really knows the majority of these details, tucked safely away in our archives from prying eyes. It is we, who are interested, rather than the entire government. As a sort of staging ground or temporary home for possible interlopers." He snapped his fingers, remembering to clarify. "And the trade deal and small teams of soldiers are true, and these things will still happen."

The Jedi Master gave her an apologetic look. "I should have said that from the get go, but I wanted to judge your person first. I want Haven to be a home for some of us if things go south with this war. Just for a short while until we can settle somewhere else, if our worst fears are realized."

Alondra considered the Jedi Master carefully, lacing her fingers together on top of the table as she stared back at him. "I hope you realize that I am not going to play sides in the coming conflict."

"Any who come to Haven are welcome. Sith. Criminal. Jedi, no matter whose kriffing side they are fighting for. Until they cross me." The explanation was simple enough, but she thought it prudent to reiterate her stance on the matter.

She leaned forward a little closer, tapping an index finger in the small space left between them. "If you are conveniently forgetting to tell me anything else, Master Lan, now is the time to lay it out. I do not have time for games, and I do not take kindly to manipulation. If you want something, come out and say it."

Avo Avo

He held his hands up defensively. "And I am not here to ask you to play sides, ma'am. Nor am I here to cross you."

A wry grin stretched across his face as he leaned in closer, folding his arms underneath himself. His finger matched her gentle tapping, as if to provoke something more from the head-tailed matriarch. His gaze met hers completely, losing himself in those aqua eyes.

"The only thing I have to say is: I like what you've done here and will take this as an agreement." Lan smiled. "My Jedi friends will be allowed to seek solitude here just in case, and they will stir no trouble. As long as they are here, they will answer to me - and I, you."

When he tapped his finger on the table in rhythm with her own, Alondra suddenly reached out and caught the Jedi's hand. She turned his arm so that his palm was faced up, lightly tracing the fingers of her free hand across the lines that were etched into his palm.

She smiled back at him, truly a rare expression for the Matriarch.

"Don't ma'am me." She replied with a low chuckle, finally releasing his hand.

"If your Jedi require refuge, they will find it here. I assure you, no harm will come to them, so long as the listen to you and respect our way of life." The togruta replied in a low voice.

Avo Avo

His eyes followed her as she deftly snatched his hand and brought it to hers, dreamily tracing the lines in his calloused palm. It was a soothing, relaxing sensation and he caught himself wanting more of the ministrations as she soon released his hand.

"It's settled, then." Lan said in a low voice. "So, what do we do now? I have a room here for a few nights, and I hardly feel like going back to the Core so soon."

The Jedi shrugged and leaned back into his seat, eyes never leaving the matriarch. "Shall I occupy your time, or is your schedule packed to the brim with 'managerial' duties, ma'am?"

A slight smirk curled at the corner of Alondra's mouth at the Jedi's question. There was a playful glint in her eyes, keeping her gaze locked onto his. All at once a plethora of responses blossomed in her mind, but she kept the worst of the retorts to herself.

Her head tilted ever so slightly to the side, the jeweled adornments clinking softly in the quiet atmosphere of the tea shop.

She doubted that the man had any idea what he'd just inadvertently implied, but she found it amusing nevertheless.

"It sounds to me as though you're looking for a small vacation?" She teased in that purring tone of hers, a low chuckle humming in the back of her throat.

"What would a Jedi Master like to do on a getaway? My schedule is what I make it to be. If you wish to keep my company, you are my guest here."

Avo Avo

Lan nodded. "I could use a vacation of sorts. We don't exactly get leave, so lax assignments like this are absolute blessings. I can always just say that you've been a little more 'resistant' than initially figured, and I imagine they'll let me stay longer."

He winked. "Provided you want me to stay longer."

Then the Jedi shrugged. There was a lot he wanted to do: especially "normal people" things. Like going shopping, or exploring the finer culinary arts, or even taking walks and meeting friends and family of loved ones. All sorts of stuff that he'd read in Holonovels on long trips or assignments, all lacking the adventurous crises that plagued the Jedi tales, but making up for it with all sorts of menial glamour and slice of life elements.

He craved it more than anything else. Just peace, relaxation, and a sense of belonging. War and strife had taken its toll on him long ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom