Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Interview Log 001: The Retired Entreprenaur Jedi?

Akilah Samara

A

Dear Sir,

My name is Akilah Samara, and I am a graduate student at Obroa-Skai University. I'd like to thank you for participating in a survey I put out about the perception of Force User Cultures. If you have time I'd like to arrange a meeting where we could go more indepth on the subject and your personal experiences. I'd prefer to take you on the record, but I understand the desire for privacy, and have no problem listing you as an anonymous source if need be. The interview could be conducted in person on Obroa-Skai(I know a caf shop with great bagels a couple blocks from campus), or I could meet you at some neutral location, or we could conduct it over holocam, whichever is your preference. Once again I'd like to thank you for your time and I look forward to speaking with you further.

Cordially,
Akilah Samara

Graduate Student of Political Science at Obroa-Skai University
Office Hours: C 3:00-5:00 PM, Z 3:00-5:00 Room 517a

[member="Jorus Merrill"]

[member="Akilah Samara"]

Ms. Samara,

I figured a request like this was in the offing when I clicked 'yes' on 'would you like to be interviewed?' I'm comfortable speaking on the record about most things. Depending on what we discuss, I'm also comfortable giving you some details for attribution from 'a former member of the Jedi Council.' Obroa-Skai is a solid choice, but I'm currently tied up with some armed operations in the Kathol sector, and it would take me months to visit Obroa-Skai in person. Let's work with holocam for now. I know the Obroa-Skai libraries have well-secured holocommunications facilities. I'm attaching a number; call it at your convenience, and I'll pick up if I'm not in combat at the time.

Gen. J.Q. Merrill

Akilah Samara

A
[member="Jorus Merrill"]

General J.Q. Merrill? A few hoogle searches later Akilah had an idea of who he was. The links were scattered, but she gathered he was the scouter of the Mara Corridor and the founder of household name Silk Holdings. She made a note to be careful with this one. Aside from the myriad of knowledge he seemed to have traveling the stars as a spacer and a business man he might also be a source of funding for later publications, provided they could find similar views. At the very least he seemed to be a reasonable man from his responses. After her searches Akilah headed the library and reserved one of the smaller conference rooms for the next day. Choosing to ramp up from her usual dress she came the next day in a white button up shirt wrapped around a black jacket, with a matching skirt. Her hair was done in a simple bun, Kila trying to look professional above all else. Laying her notes on the table she went over them again, let out a couple deep breaths, and finally entered the number to start the holocall. A few rings past, perhaps he was defending the Kathol sector from some First Order patrol. Or perhaps he was being jammed, or he was underground on that world full of tunnels . . Ylara? No, Yvara. A third ring past, a fourth, and a fi-

The fifth was cut short. The image of a man fighting middle-age began to piece together, albeit fuzzily so. Some sound poured out, mostly garbled, but Akilah could gather that it was something akin to 'hello'.

"General Merrill is it? I'm having a bit of trouble hearing you." Akilah began as the explorer adjusted his systems, probably. Once communications were established she'd introduce herself, thank him for the call, and lead in with the expected question. "Across your responses you speak with a familiarity about a number of Force User cultures. I'd like to go over your experiences on how members of each of them try to influence the political and economic scenes of the galaxy, but for now I'd like to ask that you share what you know, have seen, and done with the Jedi Order."

[member="Akilah Samara"] looked pretty much like any grad student, apart from those granola psych and music majors. For his part, Jorus hadn't exactly dressed to impress -- he'd run out of time. No Jedi robes, either, just a vest over a shirt that used to be white. The holocam might catch the edge of the lower-tier Corellian bloodstripe on his pants.

"Sorry about the interference." Jorus fiddled with the comm unit. "Must be one of the relays out by Kal'Shebbol. If I'm hearing you right, yeah, that all sounds good. Sure, we can start with the Jedi, no problem.

"Pretty broad topic, though. Look, I was Master of First Knowledge for six, seven years under Kiskla Grayson and Corvus Raaf. I'm the one that set up the first big Jedi convocation in ages, the one at Sigma Station -- the one that Grayson and Labooda modeled theirs after, later. I invented the network that lets all kinds of Jedi access holocrons from anywhere, and I'm the one that saved those holocrons during the long retreat in the first place. Guess I'm bragging a little, but the truth is, I mostly mention it so you'll know there's a lot of ground to cover. So maybe some more specific questions will give me a better idea of how to target this."

Akilah Samara

A
[member="Jorus Merrill"]

Despite her every attempt to continue to appear professional a small glow couldn't help but find Akilah's face. A title like "Master of First Knowlege" meant he had connections, and probably the mindset to spot the sort of things Akilah was looking for. The way he spoke of the ground to cover implied he didn't have a problem with being called for an another interview later to cover more topics. Not to mention this was only his knowledge of the Jedi, let alone the Sith, Witches, or Wardens of the Sky he mentioned.

"I'm sorry, I hadn't expected the question to be that broad." Akilah said, embarrassment fighting the excitement popping on her face. "Let's start with Sigma Station. From what I understand the Jedi Convocations, at least in Post-Gulag years, have been meetings between different denominations of Jedi in order to unify against greater threats, trade ideas, and foster communication. Can you go over what initiated the splintering the Jedi and what made the Convocation necessary?"

[member="Akilah Samara"]

"Governments make mistakes, and the Jedi were too far in bed with the Republic, so they started making mistakes too. Getting used. A bunch of Jedi weren't happy about helping the Republic outright conquer Cato Neimoidia. Weren't too pleased about the terrorist groups the Republic armed, backed, and abandoned for convenience on Contruum. Those are just two examples - there are others. So a couple of groups Jedi peeled off over those issues and the Republic going crusading. The big question was whether Jedi serve the galaxy or the Republic. I, and most reputable Jedi Code scholars, will tell you it's the former. Anyways, those two large groups would eventually become the Silver Sanctum Coalition.

"Meanwhile, you had a good few Jedi taking up the banner of the Omega Protectorate, the Mandos, and other governments, partly for ideology and partly due to regional interests.

"So the situation was, there were about four significant Jedi groups and all kinds of independents. Most of them spent their time calling each other 'no true Jedi.' So I went and talked with all their leaders, and organized a faction-agnostic conclave on Sigma Station. It was hugely well attended, the first great meeting of Jedi since the days of Teferi Artemis. It got everyone in the room and convinced most of them to acknowledge each other as valid Jedi. That was huge progress at the time."

Akilah Samara

A
[member="Jorus Merrill"]

Though the interview was being recorded that didn't stop Akilah from furiously taking notes as the general spoke. The Jedi split to avoid being part of Republic aggressions, the offshoots eventually becoming the Silver Sanctum Coalition, a merger of two former governments. The other movers sounded relatively indifferent from other refugees, changing nations to go where the right work or ideal was. Then there was the idea of "valid Jedi". As a woman with a B.S. in politics she felt woefully uninformed on the innerworking of their culture. Then again, that's what she was here for.

"So you said, and I'm paraphrasing, that most Jedi Scholars agree that their job is to protect the galaxy at large rather than the Republic. Why did the two groups, the Levantine Sanctum and the Silver Jedi, choose to form their own rough government, and protect only a certain area of space? Is their any disdain from other Jedi denominations about that decision?"

[member="Akilah Samara"]

"Any given Jedi or group of Jedi can only protect so much territory alone or with friends. It's why, in the old days, individual Knights or Masters were assigned as Jedi Watchmen of a given system or sector. I can't speak for the Silvers, but I was one of the early major players in the Levantine Sanctum. The Republic was much stronger at the time, it had a lock on the Core and the Colonies, and the Republic's Jedi believed that serving the Republic was the same thing as serving the galaxy. We, by contrast, looked out past their sphere of influence, into the Outer Rim and Wild Space. We saw a lot of worlds that needed help, that needed a permanent, not incidental, Jedi presence. We could only protect so much territory, so we picked territory that really needed protection. Not to discount the efforts of the Republic's Jedi before the fall of Coruscant, of course -- but we felt we could offer more to the galaxy than enforcing the Republic's trade preferences." That was another reference to the invasion of Cato Neimoidia, an invasion notable for having no enemy other than local authorities who didn't want to join the Republic or its economic sphere of influence.

"As for disdain, of course there is. For ten, fifteen years it's been a constant refrain that goes something like this. 'No true Jedi would just abandon the Core Worlds. You're out there while we're all alone fighting the Sith. Jedi are supposed to serve and defend the Republic. You're hiding in the middle of nowhere while we handle the real problems.' Those are the standard lines from the same people who say that none of us were or are true Jedi -- when in point of fact, it's the true Jedi that left to do real work on the frontier, away from the Republic's toxic political scene. Half the modern Jedi Grandmasters have defected from the Republic eventually. Ben Watts, who helped Teferi Efreet form the modern Order. Darron Wraith. Je'gan Olra'en. Kiskla Grayson. I think Joshua DragonsFlame has dipped in and out of associating with the Republic. Then there are the other notables: Phylis Alince, the greatest living Jedi archaeologist, and a longtime member of the Republic's Jedi Council. Aleidis Ijet, who was named the Barsen'thor of the Order -- the ultimate living example of a Jedi -- and then became Chancellor of the Republic. Jaxton Ravos and Aaralyn Rekali, the two Masters who held the title Sword of the Jedi. Any number of other names, serious names, that left the Republic's myopia to defend the rest of the galaxy. They've investigated and quarantined Sith worlds, put down any number of Dark Side cults and insurrections, protected and fortified remote worlds against Sith conquerors of every stripe you can imagine. They've even found time to help the Republic fight the One Sith on multiple occasions." He smiled faintly. "But still, we're no true Jedi. At least one of the Republic's Jedi will tell us that at any given meeting, even though two-thirds of the Jedi have no relationship to the Republic. And even though there are other Councils and other Grandmasters that are much more stable and capable than the leadership of the Republic's Jedi. Councils and Grandmasters that have worked toward inclusion-"

He cut himself off. "You know what? I just realized I'm dancing around a point. Jedi Grandmasters of the Republic can be tossed into two categories: those who worked toward unity, and those who actively chose to alienate large fractions of the Jedi. First group: Ben Watts. Teferi Efreet. Kiskla Grayson. Darron Wraith. Second group: Je'gan Olra'en. Joshua DragonsFlame. Selena Halcyon. Corvus Raaf. You'll note I'm leaving out their current boss, Shmi Labooda -- I've got a favorable opinion of her, but don't know enough to give a final verdict."

Akilah Samara

A
[member="Jorus Merrill"]

Akilah was nowhere near well-versed enough in the Jedi to know just how many major players their were, but she still felt like General Merrill was listing an awful lot of qualified individuals who'd chosen to leave the "Main" Jedi and branch out into the Galaxy, not to mention the Grandmasters of the organization. She also noted the large turnover in the position despite the relative stability of the main Jedi Order. It wasn't that odd, considering the turnover of Galactic Governments was similar, but as the Jedi and the Republic had been there since the beginning it still felt strange.

"You mentioned one of the specific arguments of the Original Jedi Order, for lack of a better term, was that the other Jedi shouldn't have left the Core Worlds. I know that Coruscant used to hold one of the Jedi's largest temples, which was destroyed and rebuilt upon by the One Sith. I also remember reports that the One Sith not only destroyed that temple but rebuilt their own monuments atop it. Was this because Coruscant and the Core are considered sacred sites by the Jedi, or was it merely a standard assertion of their dominance over the Jedi?"

[member="Akilah Samara"]

"I'm not sure the Jedi as a whole would consider any place sacred." Ahch-To, maybe, and possibly parts of Tython, but like feth was he even going to allude to Ahch-To on the record. "The Force is strong at that specific location on Coruscant. Dominance was part of it, but the Sith were also aiming to co-opt a significant source of tangible power. They can design their temples as focal points for even more power. As for how the Jedi feel about Coruscant -- nearly every major incarnation of the Order for tens of thousands of years has been located there. Some sources suggest it's the homeworld of the human species, and the Jedi are, historically, mostly human -- almost entirely, in the case of modern Grandmasters and Council members. So that's part of what's been felt by some. To me, Coruscant is just another world, one that's been hurt more than most. The Sith, the Omega Protectorate, the Mandalorians, now the Galactic Alliance -- Coruscant has been the site of major, prolonged offensives. It doesn't have a fraction of the political or economic significance it once did. But it's the centre of everything, so in the end, it doesn't have anything to do with sacredness; it's just all about pride."

Akilah Samara

A
[member="Jorus Merrill"]

"So I've got two questions from what you've just said. Number one, you said that the Force is strong at that specific location in Coruscant. I'm not sure if my wording is right, but after Corellia it's become more apparent that certain areas have a sort of presence in the Force. In your experience have these areas been strong enough that they have shaped the expansion and invasion tactics of the more Force-natured nations? And secondly, you noted that the Jedi are mostly human. Is this a result of humans having more potential to become Jedi or other species being less recruited or is it simply the volume that makes them feel more prevalent in Force User ranks?"

[member="Akilah Samara"]

"Force-strong locations are priority targets. Ruusan, Tython, Ossus, Deneba - the Sith have made a habit of aiming for major Jedi sites. Right now, the Galactic Alliance is fighting the One Sith on Coruscant, focusing on the Valley of Dark Lords - the monument at the location I mentioned. I'm told that control over that location directly affects the balance of the Force there and throughout the battle. Short answer: yes.

"As for the Jedi being humanocentric, that's a relatively recent development. The Jedi had thirty-five millennia of unsurpassed diversity. The last twenty years, though, the rebuilt Order and its offshoots have focused almost exclusively on humans and near-humans. I'm not sure I can fully explain it, though it's possible that recruitment and social draws trend along social lines. Our galaxy has a lot of recent experience at being insular. And then - well, take my friend and copilot, Beyyr. He's a Wookiee, and he'd have made a fine Jedi, but apart from me he'd be just about the only Jedi who even speaks his language. Humanocentric institutional bias is a feedback loop. The more humans dominate, the less interested non-humans become. My daughter is half-Zeltron, and she's certainly never felt at home in the Jedi, though she trained as one. I believe a large part of that discomfort stemmed from near-total human dominance of the Order's branches."

Akilah Samara

A
[member="Jorus Merrill"]

As the interview went on Akilah found herself more and more impressed. This man would've held himself well going through his own publication or classroom. The humanocentrism was something she'd theorized on not just for the Jedi, but all modern Force Cultures, and it felt good to be validated for at least a part of it. Akilah also made notes to go over the recent history of planets he mentioned. Perhaps she could even get the Rust Bucket moving again with her travel stipend and make a visit.

"Now if I may go through a bit more personal line of questioning, and let me know if you don't want to answer these questions, you mention your daughter and how she'd never felt home at the Jedi. What was it like for you to try and decide how she would be trained? Was it something you decided at an early age, or did you wait and discuss the matter with her? Is the other parent a Force User, and if not how did she try to help with the decision?"

[member="Akilah Samara"]

"A lot of that is her business, but I can speak to some of it that might be relevant to you. Alna, my wife, can't use the Force, but my daughter's biological mother was an empath. Alna is a pragmatic and insightful kind of person, a salvager and a shipwright. When it came to deciding how to approach Mara's training, Alna and I agreed that Mara needed to have a solid grounding in the real world. Mechanic skills, piloting and navigation skills, and how the Force can amplify those abilities. Around ten, twelve, we had her learn options at the Jedi Academy on Yavin Four. Then we had her learn from a private instructor once we had a better idea of what she needed to know. Then when she was old enough, she picked her own path and went for it. Since then, her Force education has been her business. It's no secret that I'm one of the very few Wardens of the Sky that have made their allegiance public. My daughter had that option, and other Force traditions too, but the path she picked is one she found on her own."

Akilah Samara

A
[member="Jorus Merrill"]

"You mention that she learned from a private instructor. Something that seems common between the Jedi and the Sith as well as other Force Cultures is the prevalence of a singular Mentor-Student relationship. Could you go over this relationship a bit? How are they usually established? Are they competitive? What happens to the students who can't get a singular tutor? Do you think this puts the learner at a disadvantage by closing them to the views and thoughts of other teachers?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom