Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Interred With Their Bones

Leon Draco

L
Ten years ago
Near the Dawn Temple, Spintir
Valery Noble Valery Noble

Master Zapal—Ilia—had been gone for four months. Four months without word, until a chip was found with a snippet of recorded audio. The Jedi Temple brought it to him without telling him where they had found it, having already listened to the contents.

It started out with the sounds of the wilderness. Bird caws, rustling leaves, insect chitters, the wind. Then, a whispering voice. The words are choppy, distorted, scratched: Jedi Temple... taught... dark... an enemy. But still, it's her voice. That gentle tone and elegant accent. He'd recognize it anywhere.

The whisper strengthens into a voice, speaking in riddles. Rambling about darkness and night. The hairs on his arms stood on end when he heard it, a creeping dread settling over him like a pale shroud. He heard her speak his name, Leon, like she'd never said it before.

I know you'll come for me. You must come. You have to see what I've seen, know what I know. Your training won't be complete without it.

That was when he realized she had gone mad. He immediately went into denial afterwards, telling himself that he could've been mistaken. But the need to know was what drove him to find answers.

The Council wouldn't tell him where the chip had come from or where Zapal was, so he took matters into his own hands. He opened himself up to the Force, tracking her down... and broke into an office or two to access confidential records. All signs pointed to Spintir, the site of an abandoned Jedi Temple. Or so it seemed...

Padawan Leon Draco landed his starfighter not far from the temple ruins. Strangely, they didn't look so ruinous from afar. He got out, leaping down to the ground and cushioning the impact with the Force, before heading toward the structure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dawn_Temple_FDBG.png

10 years ago...

Sitting atop a rock in the mountains, Valery drew in a breath of cold air and looked across the valley, down to the little village below at the foot of the mountain. All of this still felt so unreal to her. To be in the middle of a battle on Onderon, and from one moment to another, find yourself displaced in time thousands of years. All the people she once knew gone, and the Galaxy so very different, yet the same in some ways as well.

The war between Jedi and Sith was still tearing worlds apart, and a part of her felt a call to head back into that conflict. But not now. She needed time to think and work things out for herself, and rebuilding this ancient Temple seemed like the best way to do that, and contribute something to the Jedi at the same time.

Soon, Kahlil Noble Kahlil Noble would be making his way over to deliver supplies for it as well, and even just thinking about that made her heart skip a beat. She had never felt both immensely excited, and anxious at the same time just to see someone again. Why did her palms feel so sweaty whenever he just looked her in the eyes? They had only just met, and while that had been with more intimacy than she had ever experienced in her life, she just... didn't understand it all yet.

But that only made it more exciting.

The entry of a ship into the atmosphere drew Valery out of these thoughts, however, and it didn't take long for her to realize that it was here for the Temple. Was this a Jedi needing help? Or more looters she needed to kick back out? Valery was going to find out, and hopped to her feet, to start heading back down towards the Temple.

There, she'd wait.

| Leon Draco |

Leon Draco

L
The planet was cold and snowy. Leon pulled his cloak tighter around his body. There was a little village nearby, judging by the cluster of small buildings in the valley, though he couldn't tell if there were any people around. He continued to approach the temple, which definitely didn't look as ruinous as he expected it to...

As he crossed the bridge, he suddenly froze. A gasp escaped his lips, turning to fog in the chilly air. She was here, Master Zapal—or she had been here. He could feel the lingering traces of her presence, like echoes in the Force.

Breaking into a run, he sprinted as fast as his legs could carry him to the temple entrance, pushed open the doors and stepped inside. Immediately the cold of the outside world was washed away by warmth. So the heat was on in this place. Was someone living here?

"Hello?" he called out, his voice echoing. "Is anyone there?"

Then, after a few moments, he softly added, "... Ilia?"

Dawn_Temple_FDBG.png

10 years ago...

"Hello?"

It wasn't the fact that she heard a voice that surprised her, but the tone it carried did. The emotions and edge to his voice. This was no pirate, looking to acquire ancient Jedi loot from a mostly abandoned Temple. Whoever was visiting felt like a Jedi to her, looking for something or someone who had gone missing.

"... Ilia?"

A name followed, and Valery had her answer, although one that wouldn't satisfy him, she was afraid. Either way, Valery hurried through the hallways until she was getting closer, her presence in the Force now revealing that he wasn't alone, but near a Jedi he hadn't met before.

"I'm afraid she's not here," Valery began, her eyes searching for his. "I'm Master Valery Noble. Welcome to the Dawn Temple."

| Leon Draco |

Leon Draco

L
Leon turned to face the woman who had suddenly appeared beside him. "No," he murmured sadly, as if to confirm her conclusion that Ilia was not here.

The dwarf's height and youth—he was only nineteen years old—combined to give him the appearance of a child, though he spoke with the voice of an adult. "Padawan Leon Draco," he introduced himself. "I'm looking for Master Ilia Zapal. I have reason to believe she came here."

He produced a small handheld projector. With the press of a button, the hologram of a woman appeared. With dark hair, doe-like eyes and delicate features, she had a beauty which was pure and radiant.

"Have you seen her, Master Noble?" Leon asked, unable to keep the urgency out of his tone.

Dawn_Temple_FDBG.png

10 years ago...

Valery didn't need to look at the projected image for long to remember, and the name he offered only confirmed it.
"She was here only a few days ago, albeit briefly," Valery said, having noticed the edge to his voice. Had something happened to the Jedi Master that brought him all the way out here? Or did she come all this way without telling anybody?

Not that it was really her business, but if this was her Padawan and he had no idea, then something was definitely wrong.

"I believe she was working here in the region. Did something happen, or did she leave without telling you?" Valery asked, now a bit concerned for her fellow Jedi as well.

"Maybe I can help you find her."

| Leon Draco |

Leon Draco

L
Valery's confirmation that Ilia had been there recently gave Leon a spark of hope. "That is good news! Very good news," he said.

"I believe she was working here in the region. Did something happen, or did she leave without telling you?"

"She... left without notice, yes," he explained, running a hand through his hair. "She's been gone for about four months with no word. That is, until a datachip was found containing a recording of her voice..." He trailed off. "It didn't sound good. She was babbling about a darkness, and how the Jedi teachings hadn't prepared her to face it. Then she said that I needed to come and find her in order to finish my training." And so here he was, though he was terrified at what he might face when he did find her.

Valery offered to help him. "If you can, I'd be much obliged," Leon said. "I have the ability to see how everything connects in the Force, like the threads of a tapestry. It's similar to psychometry, but I can see the future as well as the past. If you have some sort of object which Master Zapal directly interacted with while she was here, even if its something as simple as a spoon or a chair, I may be able to follow the threads and see where she went next."

Dawn_Temple_FDBG.png

10 years ago...

"Four Months?" Valery asked, her voice showing both surprise and concern.

With people disappearing, every day usually mattered a lot, and the longer it took before somebody was found, the less likely it was that the outcome was any good. That concern only grew when Leon talked about the recording, and how his Master had mentioned a darkness she wasn't prepared to confront. Had she gotten into trouble somewhere?

"It's possible she was dealing with the Sith in this region," Valery proposed.

Leon then explained an ability he had, and this quickly gave Valery some hope that they could at least get answers, whether good or bad.
"She meditated outside on a large rock. Maybe that'll make it easier, given the fact that she connected with the Force herself right there," Valery said before she already began to walk in that direction, guiding him back outside through a different door, before showing the meditation stone.

"If you need anything else, let me know."

| Leon Draco |

Leon Draco

L
"It's possible she was dealing with the Sith in this region."

"Possibly." Yet somehow, Leon sensed that there was something else going on. He was afraid that his master had seen or experienced something so disturbing, it had driven her mad. But what could it have been? Surely not the Sith. As a Jedi Knight, she was trained to deal with the likes of them.

A rock? Leon nodded eagerly. "Thank you," he said, following Val out of the temple. "You've given me hope. I don't know what I would do if you weren't here to help..."

The stone was smooth and flat and extended over the edge of the cliff, providing a magnificent view of the landscape. Leon hurried over to it, dropping to one knee and closing his eyes in concentration. He sensed the Force all around him, each connection like the sticky, silken strands of a spider's web. Several of them were connected to the rock, but given his familiarity with Master Zapal, he was able to pick out the tiny individual thread which was bound to her with relative ease.

"I see... a cave," he whispered. "It's not far from here... She's in there." Rising to his feet, he ran and jumped off the cliff, diving down into the valley below.

Dawn_Temple_FDBG.png

10 years ago...

When he told her that she had given him hope, Valery smiled but felt a growing pain in her chest at the same time. His Master still had to be found, and it was highly possible that he wouldn't like the answers he'd find to his questions about what happened to her. The bond between a Master and Padawan was a strong one, and if something happened that would shatter it, she feared the consequences would be severe for him.

"I'm glad I can help," she told him despite all of this, and without voicing concerns for now, Valery decided to follow him to the rock outside. It was a favorite to modt visitors for the view it provided, and the fact they meditated here made it a lot easier to feel lingering presences in the Force.

Through it, Leon did not take long to find what he was looking for, and he immediately jumped off to head to the caves he mentioned.

"Wait!" Valery called out while she quickly moved after him. "Those caves are not normal caves!" The Caves of Light and Shadow was a Nexus with both the Light and Dark sides of the Force flowing through them. With the heightened Sith activity in the region, they had felt particularly dark, so it was easy for the inexperienced to be overwhelmed inside.

| Leon Draco |

Leon Draco

L
It was true that the bond between a master and their apprentice is strong. Leon’s attachment to Master Zapal was especially intense. For you see, the young dwarf was hopelessly in love with Ilia. He had never told her this, of course, and even if she knew or suspected that his feelings for her were more than a fond respect for a mentor, nothing could ever come of it. But try as he might, he could not be rid of his love for her. It was what drove him to come here, defying the wishes of the Jedi Council, and to make a leap of faith into the cave below where he knew he would find her at last.

By the time Valery’s warnings reached him, it was too late. He had landed on his feet inside the caverns, using the Force to slow his descent and soften the impact. Almost immediately, he felt the overwhelming power of the nexus, threatening to swallow him whole.

Then he heard the growl of an animal, just before his danger sense screamed a warning. He activated his lightsaber just in time to fend off the lunging attack of an icewolf—but it seemed he had landed in the middle of a pack’s den. The territorial beasts were not going to let him pass without a fight.

Dawn_Temple_FDBG.png

10 years ago...

Well chit.

By the time Valery reached the entrance he had jumped into, she already heard his lightsaber humming, and the growls of ice wolves echoing through the cavern. They were naturally very dangerous, but whenever the Nexus here felt particularly dark, they were always a lot more aggressive. Right now, Leon was experiencing that himself, as several more appeared and began to circle him. A single one might not be the biggest issue, even for a Padawan, but a whole pack was a different story.

"Coming down!" she called out, before jumping down herself.

On impact with the ground, a telekinetic wave lashed out all around her, skipping past the Padawan while it struck the beasts and knocked them back. It wouldn't cause any harm, but it gave the two Jedi a chance to stand together, before they'd be attacked by the creatures.

"There's a way out South of here. We can't find your Master if we're dead, so let's head to safety first."

| Leon Draco |

Leon Draco

L
Leon’s blade struck true, mortally wounding the icewolf. Its packmates bared their teeth, haunches tightening as they prepared to pounce—but a sudden concussive force blasted them back. Leon whirled around, coming face to face with Valery Noble.

"There's a way out South of here. We can't find your Master if we're dead, so let's head to safety first."

Leave the caves now, without finding Ilia? “But—” The wolves growled and barked like dogs. Valery’s telekinesis had only agitated them further. They were running out of time. “Okay, let's go!” the padawan exclaimed, heading toward the southernmost passage of the caverns.

Dawn_Temple_FDBG.png

10 years ago...

While she could tell he didn't want to leave, he luckily agreed when the beasts became a lot more aggressive towards them. So with Leon right behind her, she sprinted down a narrow tunnel in the cave system, and guided them towards the one other exit she knew of. And soon enough, light from outside would be visible, as they approached the end of the tunnel out of here.

But it wasn't going to be so easy.

From a side path, one ice wolf stepped directly into their path, while from another tunnel a second one appeared. Others were coming up right behind them, and within seconds they'd surely realize they were surrounded.
"Chit, we're trapped and there's no other way out of here," she told him, now coming to a stop to raise her blade again.

"We'll have to fight them."

| Leon Draco |

Leon Draco

L
Try as they might, they were not able to reach the exit. Not before more of the wolves emerged from the shadows and blocked the way, snarling and snapping at them.

"We'll have to fight them."

Leon raised his lightsaber, assuming a combat stance. He was skilled with a blade, and had all but mastered the acrobatic style of Ataru because it allowed him to overcome the limits posed by his size. The Force was a powerful ally—and so was Master Noble. Yes, they posed a good chance of survival…

But as they began to fend off the icewolves, Leon felt the darkness of the nexus creeping in. It permeated the air like a thick fog, making it harder to breathe, to think. He tried to focus, but he could hardly touch the Light.

As a reward for his failed attempt to calm some of the icewolves with the Force, one of the beasts broke through his guard. It knocked him to the ground with its weight and lunged for his throat with its sharp-toothed jaws.

There was a terrible crunching sound, and the wolf suddenly fell limp, its neck broken by an unseen hand. Leon grimaced underneath its heavy bulk, shoving the corpse off of him and sitting up, gasping for breath. His eyes widened. “Master!” he exclaimed.

He didn’t see where Ilia had come from, but he felt her. She moved among the wolves like a whirlwind, cutting them down with her violet blade. In no time at all, the pack was diminished, most of their numbers lost, the rest fleeing back into the caverns.

Ilia remained poised for battle, her dark eyes searching the stone passages, until finally she relaxed her stance and deactivated her lightsaber. “Leon,” she said, with a little smile. “I knew you would come.”

Dawn_Temple_FDBG.png

10 years ago...

Together, they'd make their stand, and Valery felt confident that they'd get through this. She hadn't dedicated so much of her life to training, and gained all of this experience, to be killed by some wolves in a cave somewhere. But even though the fight started off just fine, she could tell that Leon began to struggle with the darkness of the caves. Valery's mind was a nigh impenetrable fortress to the Dark Side, resulting from many years of service as a Jedi Shadow.

A Padawan without that experience or the skills to shield himself would eventually lose focus, or worse, be influence by the Dark Side reaching out to the mind.

This soon resulted in one of the wolves pinning him to the ground, but with more of them charging at Valery as well, she couldn't help him. Expecting for this to end badly, Valery let out another burst of Force energy to send as many of them into the walls as she could, but by the time she turned to help Leon, someone else had already saved him. Valery blinked, but decided to focus on the remaining wolves, and fought them with the woman's help until they were finally safe.

"You shouldn't have just jumped in here," Valery began with a few heavier breaths.

"Neither of you."

| Leon Draco |

Leon Draco

L
"You shouldn't have just jumped in here. Neither of you."

“Was I supposed to leave you and my apprentice to die?” was Ilia’s dry response. She looked at Valery quizzically, bewildered that she would criticize her for coming to their aid. “I’m sure you could have dealt with these wolves on your own. But I wasn’t willing to take any chances.”

While she and Valery aired their grievances, for a few moments Leon could only stare at Ilia. She was a small woman, of average height but very lightweight, and wore a white fur coat over her Jedi robes to keep out the cold. A gamine in looks and style, her dark hair was cut in a short bob and she wore just a hint of makeup around her eyes.

Master Zapal,” Leon rasped, rising to his feet. “Where have you been? I’ve been looking all over the galaxy for you. I got your message—

“Then you listened to what I said?” Ilia asked.

You said I needed to come find you and finish my training.” He held out his arms. “Here I am.

“And you brought Master Noble with you.” She bowed slightly to the other Jedi Master. “I thank you for helping my Padawan.”

When last Ilia and Valery had met, Ilia had seemed agitated and anxious, as though she were afraid of something. Now she was cold and almost aloof toward Valery, like she didn’t expect nor want her to be there.

She turned to face her padawan, once again smiling warmly as she rested her hands on his shoulders. “We have a lot of catching up to do, Leon. There’s so many things I want to tell you…”

If Leon thought there was anything strange or suspicious about all this, his doubts were washed away by the relief he felt upon seeing her again. It was in his eyes as they met hers, and in the touch of his hand upon her wrist, as though he had to feel her to be sure that she was really there. "Why did you leave?" he asked softly.

"To fight the Sith in this part of the galaxy," she answered. "As for why I didn't come to you or leave more specific instructions, I wanted to test you. That Force tracking of yours is a powerful gift. I knew you would use it to find me."

Dawn_Temple_FDBG.png

10 years ago...

"I wasn't talking about coming here to help us just now," Valery said with mild frustration in her tone. "The fact you recklessly came in here on your own is the issue. You realize your Padawan wouldn't have needed your help if you hadn't called him into this place, knowing how dangerous it was?"

Valery frowned a little, but remained quiet while she watched the two interact. She understood that it bothered Leon less — he was just relieved to find his Master in seemingly good shape. But Valery wasn't really liking any of this. It was strange, and while it was okay for a Jedi Master to test their student, this was quite the way to do it.

Then there was the fact that Master Zapal didn't seem to like Valery being here.

"I suggest we head back to the Temple. All three of us," Valery said, her eyes shifting between Master and Padawan.

| Leon Draco |

Leon Draco

L
“You don’t approve of my methods,” Ilia said, shrugging off Valery’s criticism. “To each their own. I asked Leon to come here, and I was here to help him.”

Leon was beginning to notice the antipathy between the two Jedi Masters. It struck him as odd, for he had thought the two of them got along, based on how Valery had spoken about Master Zapal before.

Then another thought occurred to him. During the battle against the icewolves, when one of the beasts nearly had him by the throat, its neck had been broken by an unseen hand. Had Ilia used the Force to kill?...

Valery suggested they go back to the Dawn Temple. Swallowing, Leon nodded in agreement. “It’s safe there,” he said. “Master Noble is fixing up the place.” But she already knew that, didn’t she? He fell quiet, unable or unwilling to take his eyes off Ilia, even as his heart grew heavy.

His brow furrowed as his master shook her head. “I can’t. I have work to do in these caves.” She turned to Leon. “Now that you’re here, I want you to help me.”

What sort of work?

“To purify the nexus. You can sense the darkness in these caves, can’t you?”

Yes.” Chewing his lip, Leon finally added, “Master, in your message… you said that you faced something the Jedi hadn’t prepared you for. A darkness. Was it this place?

Ilia regarded him sadly. “It was a different kind of darkness. The Jedi teach us that evil is something we must fight. The Dark Side, the Sith. But they don’t warn us about the shadow within ourselves. I want to save you from the shock of that realization, Leon. Before it’s too late. We are not good people. There’s no such thing as a ‘good person’. We all have this evil inside us.” She pressed a hand to her chest. “The line between good and evil cuts through everyone’s heart. But no one wants to cut out a piece of their own heart.”

Leon stared at her in shock. “Then… You don’t believe in the Jedi way anymore?

She said nothing, her expression only growing sadder.

He felt as if he’d been cut loose at sea, left adrift in a wide, unfathomable ocean. Out of desperation, he scrambled for some simpler, more concrete explanation: “It’s the nexus. It’s influencing you. The Dark Side is affecting you—

“It’s not the nexus,” she said. “You think I’ve gone mad. But I’ve finally gone sane, Leon.”

Dawn_Temple_FDBG.png

10 years ago...

There was a lot more that Valery could argue about regarding the woman's sudden appearance, and the way she had decided to involve her Padawan into all of this. As gifted as he was with his perception of the Force and its flow, he seriously could have gotten killed if things had played out just a little differently. From Valery jumping after him and guiding him away from the first encounter, to his own Master stepping in at the last possible second.

Far too many risks.

But what followed became a lot more troubling, as she voiced her intent and the reason behind all of this. "This isn't a Nexus to be cleansed. Its light or darkness is a reflection of the Galaxy around it," Valery told her with a frown and a shake of her head, but things only got worse as the conversation continued.

"It's the nexus. It's influencing you. The Dark Side is affecting you—"

At this point, Valery stepped between Leon and Ilia, so she could no longer reach him.
"This Nexus has affected you more than you might realize. Please, leave this place with us and we can talk more. But not here," Valery tried to urge the woman, who she hoped still cared about the well-being of her own student.

"He's not staying here with you."

| Leon Draco |

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom