Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Interested in Forming a Legit Criminal Faction?

It brings a small tear to my eye that the criminal factions have come and gone at a frightening pace. I would love to see if there is a legitimate interest in forming a criminal faction that we can grow into a major faction, much like the Hutt Cartels of the trilogy or Xizor's Black Sun.

If you are interested in such a prospect, let me know and let's get the brainstorming started and see what we can come up with.

Here is my character and other sundries:

http://starwarsrp.net/topic/142405-malicar/?p=1923406

http://starwarsrp.net/topic/142639-eclipse-consortium/

http://starwarsrp.net/topic/143094-interstellar-shipping/

Thanks!

Mithias
aka Malicar

[member="Malicar"] we've had numerous factions come and go over the years. Some ideas just work better than others in terms of attracting interest from a broad audience and in terms of holding territory at a galactic scale. Popo and I both came to the conclusion back during the Galactic Republic days that criminal factions function best as minor factions and sub factions. It makes the most sense IC and let's you guys pop up and cause problems wherever you want, focusing on having fun in whatever sort of threads you get the most enjoyment from without focusing too hard on the stress of maintaining territory or trying to find justifications for throwing around enormous navies and ground armies in Invasion threads.

Another problem is the Hutt Cartel structure itself. Part of what killed many of those old criminal factions of old was the structure of the factions themselves. Everyone wants to be a Hutt or some other criminal Lord, but nobody wants to just... Go rob a train. As far as criminal acts and fun roleplays are concerned, criminal factions work best if you treat them like a D&D campaign. A few nuts working together to complete a mission within a larger setting. Make the scale of the event too large and it just becomes cumbersome.

To my knowledge, which is quite full of holes, mandates weren't present during the last successful, iteration of a major criminal faction or prior. One of the recently introduced mandates, that of the Galactic Nomad would make for an interesting combination with an underworld organization.

No different than many mob organizations, those criminal elements can be difficult to pin down to one location as they have numerous fronts and storehouses for laundering and dealing in black market goods and services which change frequently so as to keep whatever law enforcement off the trail. Galactic Nomad might allow a criminal group to enact a similar behavior.

While a minor faction creating havoc via rebellions is one interesting take on a crime group, it would be nice to see one come together. I have my doubts, but I would be interested to see where one could go in today's Chaos.

[member="Captain Larraq"] Thanks for the advice and insight. Something to consider before we truly pull the trigger on a Major Faction (if we decide to go that route).

Galactic Nomads
Strength: Once a month, this Major Faction may abandon their current Influence Cloud & Capital Planet and relocate elsewhere on the map as if they were a creating a new Major Faction.
Weakness: The Major Faction may not use this Mandate's strength if the Major Faction is currently engaged in an incomplete Invasion, Rebellion, or Dominion.

Wow. That mandate looks fun for a Major Faction, especially a criminal organization without huge fleets and land forces. Good find [member="Sentiri"]

[member="Aubrey Landcaster"] Awesome. Let's see if we can drum up some more interest and hash out some details.

[member="Malicar"]
I would be interested to see this happen though I'm not sure just yet whether or not I could join. Salis is a bit too busy at the moment and the only other character that even remotely makes sense would be Mag (a male Zeltron slave). Been thinking of throwing him into something different then he started off as (parady/joke about all the female dancer slaves).

If this is a crime lord type thing like the Hutt's, Mag would be pretty useful for telling when people are lying while being investigated, and would be useful for some influence due to their ability to both calm situations and make themselves more attractive. He's pretty versed in multiple languages and talking so that's not a problem. He's also a huge dude, even if he never fights, but he could be taught he just would really not like it. But hey, if he's just a slave, he'd probably just feel like he has to obey. If he's not a slave though he'd probably follow rules of his own a bit more.

UPDATE (8/25/19)
There is enough writer interest in this endeavor to see where it takes us. Discord link coming soon so we can brainstorm this faction.

The organization will leverage Black Sun as its basis. Yes, there have been many failed attempts to energize the Black Sun organization, but a worthy cause deserves a worthy foundation, so away we go...

Black Sun Cartels (Pre-Codex Link)

My 2cents on Criminal Factions.

• Never go Major. Criminal enterprises are woven into the fabrics of the current societies/factions. They are not about "Galactic Conquest" and traditional land grabs.
  • Try and entice another criminal faction to form so there is actual competition. Or even have Law Enforcement agents from Major factions to interact with you.
  • Me personally, and what i have found that killed it for me in the past was the over saturation of Force Users in such criminal factions. If it were me i would try and curve that as much as possible.
  • Set a hierarchy system that is earned through actual rp and effort. Someone said it before, everyone always wants to be Top Dog but forget about the low end enforcers.
[member="Malicar"]

Hey Rundo. Thanks for the input.

- MAJOR FACTION - It is not definite that we are going for Major, but we are going to look at it with the Galactic Nomad mandate, which gives us the "hard to pin down" type structure. The worst thing that can happen is that it simply doesn't work.
- COMPETITION - Yep, we will do it between ourselves and others. Good suggestion on law enforcement
- FORCE USERS - Fortunately, most of our members are keeping it pure. We only have a couple of Force-Users (thankfully!)
- HIERARCHY - We have Underlords and Vigos. Vigos work up to Underlords if they want to, but being a Vigo in our system is still powerful, influential and fun.

As an added bonus, I have written with most of our members before. We have a GREAT crew. We are going to have a blast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom