Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Interest check: Criminal Faction

Let us be frank here for a second: Chaos has a lack of criminal energy right now, despite a handful factions and people doing great work in that regard. Honestly I think that's somewhat odd because strong criminal powers are a pretty common part of star wars lore.

So I'm thinking of giving this thing another shot, trying to build up a faction in which criminals can work together, a lot alike the Idea the Underworld faction brought to the board a while ago (still sad that the faction is pretty dead.) Should there be a general interest and enough people actually dedicated to playing a criminal character as part of a large alliance of criminals, I will get to work, figure out a story to give us some drive as well as a general concept for the faction to build upon (I am currently thinking about a sort of council where the leaders of different groups meet up on neutral ground, like for example different mafia families in many mafia movies lol.) Long term plan is to build a criminal faction that holds some level of power, maybe even in the major direction if we want that. Also I am all up for people that are interested in doing this to jump in and help me creating the stories etc. as in my opinion a faction should to a large degree be run by its members and not just by staff.

Anyone interested in doing this? If so just post here or if you already have ideas shot me a few pms and tell me about them please. Yo.

[member="Darth Abyss"]

I have so many characters I could drop in for this lol.

A lot of the issue is Criminal Factions end up not DOING anything. They all start off strong, loose some steam and then become this weird collection of members who are writing elsewhere, or just not writing at all. What is the goal of this criminal faction? Every Cartel has a goal, make money, take over the market, etc.

When the Red Ravens were around their goals were to expand, and their method was to rule planets by puppet governments paid in full.

To do true criminal acts you will need opposition. They must be done where there is actually law and order. I tried doing a type of Firefly like stunt with one of my fav character concepts Hala Jast inside of Republic space once.

Which brings up the next issue. folks always wanna win so bad, instead of write. I got some hot shot Jedi Padawan who was all.

"I appear out of no where, somewhere it really dosn't matter if im there or not and drop shadow bombs on your ship, lulz destroying you."

Like c'mon man. For real?

If you can give me a solid concept of what you want, and some other active members, I will overextend myself and bring characters out of retirment.

Your Choice between RC 212, Lisa Ticon, or Hala Jast

Sorry for the wall of text. I just kept getting more and more while I wrote it lol.

I fully agree with you. To make it clear that I actually put some thought into this and not just randomly made a post "Lets starts a criminal faction lulz" here some early proof of concept. Still pretty raw but I first of want to see if there is even a need for a criminal faction before putting to much work into a faction for nothing lol.

So for goals and expansion:
First of I want to say that expansion will to some degree be a part of this, but not like a full map game focused faction. It is nice to have it as it gets the faction a certain level of drive, but over expansion quickly leads to half-good stories for the sake of expansion after a while.

As a general goal I thought about hyperlanes. Okay bear with me here for a second: As far as I understand it there are a million (or maybe less I have no idea but this is fluff anyway lol) hyperlanes that are either forgotten or secret. But with every step of expansion there are chances for the faction to find them. A secret network for smugglers, pirates and whatever else to move through space, silent and unseen, and in some cases even faster than those already existing. Another thing that would play into this is obviously fortification of our realm which means creating shadowports, pirate villages and outsider societies around this secret lanes. Business inside the controlled systems would boom for all involved, as no other criminal groups could rival us due to having the most efficient transportation of wares and people.

That general quest would offer up a lot of additional goals and objectives for faction threads. Black ops missions to steal secret intel on hyperlanes for the stealthier people around, bribing and/or threatening government officials for the people that like politic stuff, or full blown raids on a heavily fortified data vault for the people that like combat. Even if you're just a chill smuggler that want to do something relaxing, you can go exploring along those hyperlanes for places where to build the shadowports etc.

Another thing is obviously the criminal business itself, with heists, raids and all the other stuff, as well as social things like watching arena fights, gritty star wars criminal parties and whatever else. I mean this is basically the sand box aspect of this. Hyperlanes are a faction thing, but some characters are mercs, bounty hunters, smugglers, drug dealers, slavers and some others heads of their own operations. Everyone should just do what makes sense for the character.

But what of two groups inside the faction want the same turf etc? I am fully against having a real government or anything, I'm thinking more a council where everyone with a certain level of wealth and influence can claim a place (OOC Important decisions will be made by the whole community obviously.) There decisions will be made by vote. But this obviously a criminal faction so don't expect this to be like normal politics. For example someone has claimed a port your group would really need, then you bribe the person to give it to you for something in return etc. Or dig up some dirt on that person and blackmail that person. Obviously this should be used and not abused. Like a sith faction a criminal faction would profit from internal scheming and backstabbing as long we keep it chill ooc and make an effort to avoid salt.

The council wouldn't just be the closest thing to a governance of the faction, but an endorser for the members. For example a pretty successful pirate crew plans to take it up a step and build a own operation. Then they can ask the council for a favor (money, men whatever) but in return. This means should they make it to the top, they have to pay back with fees. Should they fail they will still own a favor, which then means a near suicidal mission that no one else would. Again this is meant to promote fun, so this won't be super strictly enforced or anything to put you in a situation where logically your character should die.

edit: One last thing that I just remembered. Opposition. Well there is a lot of movement on the map right now so I don't think it will be to hard to find some. IC enemies should not be enemies OCC so the main goal will be to find another faction interested in a conflict for the sake of mutual benefits in interest, activity and variety.

The Imperial Remnant has so far shown a high dislike for criminals, so they are the first I would try to contact. There are also the lightsider factions that probably are not fans of crime, but as far as I see both the GA and the slivers have other things to do right now lol. Sacred Lotus could be an option, their status as a neutral faction could make for an interest in story, so I would ask them as well.

That's all I got for now.

[member="Seraya Whisperwind"]

[member="Darth Abyss"]

Ok getting some insight.

Suggestion, Choose three major focus points.

Here's what I'm percieving from your wall of text.

1.) Setting up shadowports on worlds: For this you can do as a minor faction. It'd be interesting to set up cells, much like the Underground that can manipulate affairs, and carry out criminal activities

2.) Control and Explore Hyperlanes: For this you need some kind of fleet. I would guess privateers as well as cells or space stations on the lane. My suggestion, try and set up ports and engulf one lane, such as the Mara corridor. That way IC you can tax it, underhanded like.

3.) Infighting. I'd save this for later. For now give em a goal to go towards.

Next:

What is this council? A mafia meeting of family leaders? A group of reps fro gangs? Or is it a singular cartel type organization with reps for different sections. IE Smuggler rep, Pirate Rep, Corporate rep.

Who sits on the council?

What's the criteria? Why?

I find the smaller the leadership, the better it runs. Start with a criminal lord maybe, and then add some staff or two more lords. Like Jabba controlled Tatooine,and Gardula the Hutt ran Malastare.

Bouncing of ideas here has been pretty helpful so far, thank you.

Goals:

1.) A society in the shadows. The Dead Road (Working title) is dedicated to the construction of shadowports and small societies in its area of influence, to give its members easy and quick to reach, safe and unseen bases of operation for conducting business.

2.) "Protection" for the Dead Road. The Dead Road is a hyperspace lane located in hutt space, right at the edge of silver jedi territory. We mean to take control of the lane and raise fees for the "protection" we offer to those that use it. Well after we took it over obviously.

3.) Dominate the Market. The Hyperlane is still under hutt control. The Hutts are not nearly as strong as they once been, but several hutts still hold the worlds on the lane in their grip. They have to be eliminated or pushed out of business.

Council:

I would say for the start 3 leaders, chosen by a faction vote, working together alike a meeting of different mafia families. Should the faction grow I would say that the council seats grow with them in numbers to better represent the community as a whole.

[member="Seraya Whisperwind"]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom