Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech Intellego

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ingenium

Factory & Codex

mCxJdw3.png

OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
  • Intent: To create a new material to be used as an ingredient or ship component. Intended to be serve as a building material for viewports, walls, some tools, esp. in medical settings, etc.
  • Image Source: Daniel Thiger
  • Permissions: Not Applicable
  • Primary Source: Laminanium
PRODUCTION INFORMATION
  • Manufacturer: Federal Cooperative among multiple suppliers
  • Affiliation: Open-Market
  • Model: Intellego
  • Modularity: No
  • Production: Mass-Production
  • Material: Intellego
PHYSICAL SPECIFICATIONS
  • Classification: Mineral
  • Weight: Average
  • Color: Cyan to Transparent
  • Resistances:
    • Lightsabers: Very Low
    • Blasters: Low
    • Kinetic: Very High
    • Disruptors: None
    • Ion/EMP: Very Low
    • Radiation: Average
    • Sonic: Very High
    • Acid: High
    • Heat: Average
    • Bacteria: Extreme
SPECIAL FEATURES
  • Reconstitution — Intellego is a programmable material that resembles crystal. This material will take on a particular shape in response to a narrow range of hyperwave frequencies. Engineers have learnt to take advantage of this, fashioning short-range hyperwave transmitters to turn Intellego into useful shapes for construction. Once the material has been programmed, it will remember its shape. So when a panel of Intellego gets shattered, the fragments will slowly flow back into place until the panel has been made whole again.
  • Reconstitution, Temperature — Intellego reconstitutes faster when in cooler environments. As the material draws closer to its melting point, the reconstitution process correspondingly slows down. The latter tends to happen when a pane of Intellego is placed under sustained blaster fire.
  • Reconstitution, Size — Larger panes of Intellego will require longer amounts of time to reconstitute. Multiple small panes of Intellego can also require longer amounts of time due to path finding issues that emerge when fragments from different Intellego panes compete for space.
Critical Weakness
  • Heat — When Intellego gets passed it's melting point, which is comparable to Glasteel, this material loses its previous programming — meaning it will not return to its previous shape.
STRENGTHS
  • Kinetic — When a kinetic round shatters an Intellego panel, the fragments will liquidify and return to their previous shape.
  • Sonic — When a sonic blast shatters an Intellego panel, the fragments will liquidify and return to their previous shape.
  • Acid — When placed in an acidic environment this material can resist the corrosive effects for a fair amount of time.
  • Microbes — Intellego has powerful anti-microbial properties, making it a useful material in medical settings.
WEAKNESSES
  • One-Time Program — Once Intellego has been programmed to take a specific shape, that will be the shape the material will have. The material cannot be reprogrammed with short-range hyperwave transmitter. To recycle this material, you would need to use the next weakness:
  • Heat — When Intellego enters a molten state from either a burst or sustained level of extreme heat it loses its previous programming. When the material cools down, it will not retake its previous shape. This can occur from continuous blasts of plasma, from either the sustained fire from a blaster some form of intense heat-related phenomena.
  • Disruptors — Intellego has no resistance to the disintegrative properties of a Disruptor blast. When an Intellego panel gets hit by a disruptor blast, it will burn like a paper sheet thrown in a fireplace.
  • Lightsabers — A blade of pure plasma can slice slice through this material. The areas that are struck loose their previous programming, due to the heat of the lightsaber, while the other areas retain their shape. A lightsaber wielder can cut out a hole from Intellego.
  • Short Range — The reconstitutive properties of Intellego only work when the materials are within three meters.
  • Unmixable — Intellego does not blend well with other materials. Experimental alloys and composite materials developed using Intellego are structurally weakened and tend to warp in a couple of months.
  • Simple ShapesIntellego can only take on basic geometric shapes.
DESCRIPTION

Intellego is a pseudo-crystalline material found among the remains of destroyed worlds. The material is an amorphous solid that has been found to respond to a narrow frequency of the Hyperwave. With the right stimulus, Intellego can move like a liquid, while its molecules remain oriented in a crystal-like way. If one tried to dip their hand in Intellego while it's in motion, they would discover despite it’s liquid and wet-lookg appearance, Intellego remains a solid and dry material. Because of this characteristic, it has been classified a liquid crystal.

It has been claimed that Intellego can give life to landforms and natural phenomena, causing mountains to wander, and rivers to whisper. These claims have been unverified by academic scholars from the Core Worlds.

The fact that Intellego has only been discovered among the remains of worlds has puzzled scholars for years. It is not known what relationship, if any, this has with the formation of Intellego. Most academic scholars believe the material is found deeply embedded in planets, and the planetary destruction only exposes the material. A minority of scholars believe the catastrophic forces that destroy the planet play some role in the formation of Intellego -- however, few plausible mechanisms have been proposed.

While not understood well it is known that Intellego has intrinsic properties that destroy a wide range of microorganisms, from bacteria to viruses. There are multiple contending theories on the mechanism. While not understood well it is known that Intellego has intrinsic properties that destroy a wide range of microorganisms, from bacteria to viruses. There are multiple contending theories on the mechanism. The leading theory is that Intellego binds to the microbe’s proteins, preventing the microbe’s protein from binding with needed nutrients. This leads to loss-of-function of the protein and eventual breakdown of the microbe. Studies at the University of Axum have repeatedly found more than 99.9% of Balmorra Flu microbes are killed after just one hour on Intellego. Because of these properties, Intellego has gradually become a choice material among medical facility builders and medical instrument designers.

University of Axum would discover a method in 501 ABY for reliably programming Intellego using a short-range hyperwave transmitter. However, available technology can only 1.) program the material to take on geometric shapes, 2.) instruct the material to hold its place— when it physically gets displaced, the fragments return to its pre-programmed shape, and 3.) cannot undo or override previous instructions.

Since its invention, the technology to manipulate Intellego has proliferated throughout the Galaxy. Large deposits of this foamy-looking material can be found embedded in the broken remains of Alderaan, Anoth, Demophon, Despayre, Kijimi, and Polis Massa.

9-23-2020 - I added two additional weaknesses: Simple Shapes and Timing. I edited the Short Range weakness from being a range of 1-4 meters, and instead made it a hard number: 3.

9-24-2020 - I removed references to hard numbers.

9-25-2020 - Reworded "Special Features," added the weakness "One-Time Program," and replaced Ebola with Balmorra Flu.

Last edited:

Ingenium

Factory & Codex
Hi Krass Wyms Krass Wyms ,

I would like to retain the mass-production nature of the material. So I decided to clarify how the material works, adding two more items to the list of weaknesses. Should I specify the conditions this material would be ill-suited, chiefly, those related to high heat?

Krass Wyms

Jedi Tech Division
Factory Judge
Ingenium Ingenium

That can help but there are some other things after a second look

Studies at the University of Axum have repeatedly found more than 99.9% of Gulag microbes are killed after just one hour on Intellego. Because of these properties, Intellego has gradually become a choice material among medical facility builders and medical instrument designers.

As was told to me the Gulag has plot armor and can't be eliminated as such. Might be able to help but protection from it is a no.

Intellego is imbued with trace amounts of the Living Force. In large quantities, it has been claimed that Intellego can give life to landforms and natural phenomena, causing mountains to wander, and rivers to whisper. These claims have been mostly unverified by academic scholars from the Core Worlds.

Anything with force imbuement can't have mass production.

You also look to be about 1 rating over.

You changed a good amount but the speed of its self repair is still high. Nearly instantly in some cases can be abused. I woul say look at hours or a day to be safe.

Ingenium

Factory & Codex
Krass Wyms Krass Wyms

I've removed references to Gulag and have replaced it with Ebola.

I've removed references to force imbuement -- I missed that myself. This was originally going to be something drastically different, before I took it toward a medical facility/ship direction.

I've increased the weight of the material from Light to Average to balance the ratings.

I've removed reference to a specific amount of time. I think going in that direction was a mistake, I think it would become cumbersome for writers to weigh different numbers to figure out a calculated rate of reconstitution.

This material is vulnerable to the most common weapons that are found, so I'm not worried about it being abused per say. What are your thoughts?

Edit. Also added a reference to Laminanium, which is a similar idea, for people who might be interested in this sort of material.

Last edited:

Ingenium

Factory & Codex
Krass Wyms Krass Wyms

I've re-worded the special feature to provide more clarity. My intention was to create a shape memory material, a natural element or mineral, that has a unique feature that can be exploited for industrial purpose.

I've replaced Ebola with the Balmorran Flu.

I've added one of the limitations that was listed in the Description -- but not formally part of the Weakness List.... in the Weakness List where it belongs.

Krass Wyms

Jedi Tech Division
Factory Judge
Ingenium Ingenium

It is looking better but there is still some things.

Once the material has been programmed, it will remember its shape. So when a panel of Intellego gets shattered, the fragments will slowly flow back into place until the panel has been made whole again.

Kinetic — A round from a railgun can shatter an Intellego panel with ease. The surrounding fragments will liquidify and return to their previous shape though in mere moments.

You have it still pretty fast. mere moments after being struck by a railgun for a panel is powerful. For walls or cover that can be created it could become abusable.

building material for viewports, walls, tools, esp. in medical settings

Simple Shapes —Intellego can only take on basic geometric shapes.

There are not many tools that are simple geometric shapes. A surface for a medical lab sure but tools are much more complex.

Viewports generally protect from vacuum, how will the material be effective in the event of decompression when everything is getting sucked out into space?

I will be honest the main things that keep being brought up are how easily it can be abused and the time factor of the self repair. Those are the biggest selling points for me and when the sub is talked about.

Ingenium

Factory & Codex
Krass Wyms Krass Wyms

I’ve removed references implying quickness that were leftover from the first draft of the submission. I missed those, thank you for catching that.

I don't know what to say concerning "building material for viewports, walls, tools, esp. in medical settings." Perhaps a panel of Intellego could be used as a component of smart phones. That could be helpful – you break your smartphone screen, but then later on it heals-up, so you don’t have to take it to a repair guy to get a new screen. That could be useful – or a detail someone forgets about when they crack their phone lol.

Concerning the question about viewports. I would imagine the fragments would be sucked into the vacuum of space. Though that depends on other factors, concerning how each person’s ship works, and how writers interpret the ship’s technology (esp. shields) and the physics of the universe. I would imagine most of the glass would be melted into goo by the heavy turbolaser firepower that ships carry — and this material loses its unique properties after it gets melted.

In terms of abuse — I believe the counter I provided for the reconstitutive feature provides a beautiful amount of balance.

If people don’t respect that weakness or the other limitations — well, they probably didn’t have enough time to dive into the sub. TBH. When I use open-market, mass-produced materials from the Factory, I usually skim things over. I don't quite know what animated metal sealant is -- or how it works, but every capital ship seems to have it - so why not add it to the list of features.

To counter that issue somewhat, I created a separate section called "Critical Weakness," which contains "Heat."

I didn't remove Heat from the list of weaknesses -- to put further emphasis on that point. I've also changed the wording from "rapid firing laser cannon" to "sustained fire from a blaster."

Last edited:

Krass Wyms

Jedi Tech Division
Factory Judge
Ingenium Ingenium

Self repairing tools are not basic geometric shapes, most would and should be semi sophisticated in a sci fi setting to be effective and if they are tools in a medical profession then they are much more important.

Ingenium

Factory & Codex
Krass Wyms Krass Wyms

I've added the word some to the Intent:
  • Intent: To create a new material to be used as an ingredient or ship component. Intended to be serve as a building material for viewports, walls, some tools, esp. in medical settings, etc.
Personally, I could imagine the material being used for monitor screens and flat surfaces. The disinfectant properties of the material seem esp. useful in a medical setting, so that's why I mention it in particular.

I've also added two sections to the Special Features:
  • Reconstitution, Temperature — Intellego reconstitutes faster when in cooler environments. As the material draws closer to its melting point, the reconstitution process correspondingly slows down. The latter tends to happen when a pane of Intellego is placed under sustained blaster fire.
  • Reconstitution, Size — Larger panes of Intellego will require longer amounts of time to reconstitute. Multiple small panes of Intellego can also require longer amounts of time due to path finding issues that emerge when fragments from different Intellego panes compete for space.
The above seemed obvious based on other parts of the submission but after further consideration, I thought these aspects could receive their own sub-sections. On "Reconstitution, Temperature," since the melting point of materials isn't well-known on Wookieepedia, and isn't a common feature of submissions, I decided instead to make an allusion to blaster fire, since that seems more practicable.

Ingenium

Factory & Codex
I manually calculated the stats separate from the spreadsheet provided and it appears to be 0.

3 Average
1 Low = -1 High
2 Very Low = -2 Very High
1 None = -1 Extreme

Edit. Here's a screencap of the calculator I've been using for my subs:
55xkcIE.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom