Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In Which Veino Has Even more Questions About Jensaarai Armor

I'm finishing up the cortosis thread, with a goal of completion within the next two or three days. This has led me to begin actually honking about the submission and I'm left with a few more questions, since the canon details are somewhat lacking. Most of the information is condensed here at the wiki article: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Jensaarai_armor

First question, how would the cortosis fibers actually be implemented in the armor, based on knowledge with other armor and such? The article says the fiber is spun around a generic shell. Is that implying a spider-web type spinning creating a form of web? Or potentially a more literal spin where the shell is just spun and the fiber looped around? Or should I go into more depth with at on my own?

The article also mentions alchemy and the attune armor capability. What type of alchemy would even go into something like this, since the attune armor should be more than sufficient (I'm planning on skipping the alchemy and sticking with the attunement, which seems to be a sort of imbue-type skill, unless suggested otherwise, since Veino doesn't have any training in alchemy and won't touch Dark Side skills like that.)?

The main Jensaarai entry describes it as "highly flexible light armor," but the pictures don't look like what would be considered light armor on the forum. Would it fall more under medium armor or heavy armor for quality, given the cortosis effects and blaster protection, despite the aforementioned lightweight? I am also assuming the weight would depend more on what makes up the shell, correct?

As for materials, armorplast is probably overkill, since that stuff is already pretty tough. Durasteel could potentially be too heavy, depending on the thickness. But, with the armor attunement and cortosis, does the materials making up the frame matter all that much, since the cortosis would be doing the brunt of the work?

And I I will undoubtedly end up with more questions as well once I begin the submission.

Valik

Professor of Alchemy
Personally, whenever I picture the Jensaarai I picture this:

250px-Jensaarai_TofG.jpg

Which, IMO, is more of a heavy armor. The Jensaarai originally started as a Sith-based organization, their name even coming from the Sith Language, so it makes sense that their armor would have started in Alchemy. As they became a more lightside organization however I'd assume they moved away from Alchemy and into "Attune Armor". "Attune Armor" has frighteningly little in the way of canon back up besides Table-Top rules, but I've always interpreted it as a process similar to building a Lightsaber or a Force-Imbued Blade. By crafting the armor with the Force you impose your presence on it, give it a very minor Force Presence. Due to this connection you form with the armor, almost like a minor Force Bond, it helps you connect the Force when you wear it, and doesn't work as well when used by others. It's a deeply personal process, and the Attuning Armor is a byproduct of that.

As for the spinning of the armor around the shell, I can't really help you there, but I'd assume that the cortosis ore is more wirey than fibery, but that's only initial impulse. As a Tech Judge I can tell you I'll probably accept whatever you put together with effort from a balance standpoint, but I can tell you're looking to adhere to Canon as much as possible. Personally, I'm impressed with that and that type of attitude will help you go a long way, whether in the Factory, IC, or OOC relations. Good luck man. Hope you find all the answers you're looking for, and that I could be of some type of help.

The only thing I'm going to say is not to be of the mindset that the cortosis will do all the work in terms of protection, as it will not. Unless it is alloyed it is very fragile, and if it IS alloyed it loses its unique properties of messing with the lightsaber. I'd suggest a material which will give you enough protection against blunt force, blasters and melee damage and let the cortosis be as pure as you can make it. Know that alchemising the armour itself will make it stronger yet heavier, so ultimately you would be looking at heavy armour, definitely not light.

I would suggest imbedding cortosis ore in a stronger material, so that it's not extrememly fragile, or extremely heavy.

That's the picture I always think of as well, which is what had gotten me confused about whether or not it be light armor, since it looks more like a Star Wars version of full plate armor than anything that could potentially be a light armor material. The alchemy making it stronger and heavier makes sense as well, so thank you both for that clarification!

Valik, that's a really helpful thought on the difference between alchemy and the attune armor ability. I had thought the alchemy would,be significantly different than the Sith alchemy, but I hadn't even considered the possibility that it had grown into the attunement. That description you gave of it was also incredibly helpful. Thank you.

Kara, good points, thank you. I'll keep that in mind and be sure to choose a strong enough material for the backing, especially since I didn't know the information about the cortosis or alchemical effects.

Mrrew, I think that's probably what I'll have to do. Wouldn't want the cortosis fibers just sitting on top of everything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom