Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First Reply In The Stacks

Andromeda's eyebrows shot up at Cora's description of spice, and her eyes grew wider as definition turned to a warning that in its turn became a lecture on the evils of drug use.

She nodded her agreement, much like a child would to an insistent mother, which was of course absurd given their apparent closeness in age. But as worldliness went, Andromeda had to defer to this Cora. "No, no, of course," she agreed in the barest of whispers. "I think we had that at home," Andy added after a moment's hesitation. "I didn't -- I mean, I only heard things. that a certain mechanic at the machine shop could get you a little something to keep you alert and digging if you were behind on your quota, and somebody else made a kind of cigarette out of a certain kind of plant. My b -- my friend Tiny mentioned it. Only he called it chems."

Something bittersweet fell on her as she selected another book to return. She hadn't allowed herself to think of Tiny very much since she had left Irvulix V. Tiny by name, tiny by nature, her brother had always said of his best friend. Tiny was shorter than Antares, but taller than Andromeda, and strong like an ox. She had been fascinated by his vivid white-blonde hair in a village where almost everyone's coloring was dark. He had been kind to her, shared his rations when The City had punished the village for missing its impossible quota. He had insisted that she carry water rather than digging in the depths of the mine -- an arduous job, but less tiring, less dangerous than the deadly spelunking Tiny and Ares and countless others did.

She suspected that if she had stayed on Irvulix V, she would have married him. That was how things in the village usually went: young people took a shine to one another, they talked, they walked out together. They kissed behind the toolshed and if neither of them died before they were both twenty -- never guaranteed on their homeworld -- they usually ended up together in the long term. There was nothing formal to it, no vows or ministers, but an understanding between them. It had been how Andromeda's parents and the parents of everyone she knew came to be coupled.

Andromeda was coming up on twenty. That was the final step.

She realized she had put the book on the shelf upside down. A glance back saw that the last one was, too. Fool, she thought, and quickly rectified her mistake. With a glance toward Cora, she willed Don't look at me don't look at me don't look at me don't look at me. "You face spice and gangs on a daily basis?" Andromeda asked, out of curiosity on some level, but also to distract from her book snafu. "Here?" Andy's dark eyes darted around warily.

To Andromeda's description of what passed for spice on Irvulix V, Cora tilted her head in a vague nod. She'd never heard of chems before, but it seemed that every system had its own name for illicit substances.

"There is a type of tea made from dried herbs on Ukatis. If you brew it a certain way, I've been told that it can have…hallucinogenic effects, but it doesn't necessarily make you more alert or feel pleasant." There was a tentative note in Cora's voice, a bit embarrassed to admit that her illustrious home world also had something of a similar nature. Necluda Blend wasn't illegal, though; it circulated mainly among the upper classes, and thus was considered a mark of status rather than an evil.

Fortunately for Andy, the blonde had been too lost in her own thoughts to notice that she'd shelved a book incorrectly. She did, however, feel the other woman's gaze on her, and turned to meet her eyes with her own as she probed a bit further about the Jedi's role in combating spice and gangs. "Er-"

Cora furrowed her brow in thought, hand resting atop the spine of a book she'd just placed. "Not on a daily basis, I'd say. And not here. Well, not here here. The undercity of Coruscant is a different story – we may be on the surface now, but each level down is…" She trailed off, eyes drifting towards the highest point of the tall column of shelving as she searched for an appropriate way to say debauched hellhole. "…a bit rougher than the last. Ahem." She finished, quickly clearing her throat.

"Spice, and the gangs that sell it often make their way into our work by nature." She explained. "It's not always spice that's the problem – sometimes it's trafficking, or murders, burglaries and the like. Oh-"

Turning to the cart, Cora was surprised to find that they'd worked their way through a number of books with surprising efficiency. The stacks she'd begun with had dwindled, and now only a handful remained. "You've got quite a mind for categorization, Andy." She praised, smiling in appreciation.

Andromeda Demir Andromeda Demir

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom