Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private In my Father's House

BranPrfo5.png

DivSilver.png

BranProf4.png
Wearing: Standard Jedi Robes
Equipment: Datapad, Standard lightsaber
Tag: Miri Nimdok Miri Nimdok

A small team of Jedi had been permitted access to the facility formally in Brandyn's father's possession. Well, technically, it was still owned by the senior Sal-Soren, but Brandyn was in a state of investigation about the matter. Some would say that he was in denial. They were wrong.

From the front door, there was a long corridor, approximately 3 meters wide, that ran the full length of the harshly industrial duracrete building. The corridor's left wall was a long window, overlooking a remote section Lake Country. There had previously been a water fall that flowed over the middle two-quarters of the corridor, but its feeder stream had been blocked and rerouted in the attack on Naboo months earlier. The evidence of the waterfall was still present in the water stains on the polished floor. The water had clearly come through cracks in the corridors window, cracks that were now sealed with some sort of epoxy.

The hallway no longer held anything of interest, the items that had once been displayed having already been catalogued, but the door to the right at the corridor's end gave way to a much more interesting locale. The atrium that opened up had three walkways encircling the high walls, making three levels of exhibits. A fourth floor existed above the atriums ceiling, but this had been cordoned off by senior members of the Order.

The Sith holocron that had once been the piece de resistance of the first floor was already gone, packaged and labeled for transport back to Coruscant and the Jedi Temple. There were still many items of Jedi and Sith origin of note that remained in the complex. The first floor was eclectic, but all seemed highly valued by the owner - tapestries, paintings, amulets and ritualistic tools displayed within their own encasements. The first floor displays consisted of tablets and papyrus, historical records with Jedi and Sith origins. The second floor held a collection of ancient Force user weapons, each displayed on a perch and behind their own glass encasements. Some of the encasements were open, by brute force or otherwise, and were being poured over by Jedi scholars. The third floor contained a range of expressionist pieces of art. Brandyn had spent time looking over them. Despite the lack of actual form to most of them, they all certainly expressed a 'vibe' that he could understand.

Brandyn had only just returned to the facility, which was slowly and quietly being emptied by the New Jedi Order. He had not had a big role in the process, but had returned on this occasion to check on its progress, and perhaps find more clues as to who it was that put all of it here.

"You there," Brandyn called over to a Jedi near to the door, they were marking the box of items for its transport to Coruscant, "how goes the schedule?"

"Not...great," the Jedi replied with a shrug, "there is some debate over whether or not some of the pieces on the third floor should be immediately returned to their planet of origin, or if we are justified in taking them back to Coruscant for research."

"Ah," Brandyn said, "well I guess I should go add my uneducated opinion to the discussion."

His fellow Jedi just shrugged, seeming to be a little defeated in the work.

DivSilver.png

Miri didn’t much care for expressionist art, and therefore wasn’t as invested in the debate as she probably should have been. But the lively conversation seemed to be faring just fine without her, as the other Jedi discussed what to do with the pieces on the third floor.

She was grateful that she had been invited here to study the various curios in the Sal-Soren collection, of course. But after perusing the ancient scrolls and weapons on the first two floors, she hadn’t found anything that really jumped out at her as unique or special. She had gone up to the third level hoping to find something that would increase her interest… and was instead met with paintings of naked people with bad complexions.

Riveting stuff, truly.

Miri absentmindedly examined her nails while the other researchers prattled on animatedly, arguing over whether to send the art to Coruscant, or back to their planets of origin. The purple polish she had painted on her nails was beginning to chip. She needed to touch it up soon.

Brandyn reached the third floor and could here the bickering even clearer now. Bickering, yes, that was the right term. The tones were hushed so that people would not hear, but then the hushed tones were forced out with such passion that they might as well have been talking normally.

A disinterested woman stood nearby inspecting her nails. Brandyn tilted his head, they were alright, but he had seen better work before. Not that he would say anything to the woman.

"How long have they been arguing?" He said leaning over slightly towards the woman to get her attention.

"Brandyn Sal-Soren...afraid I may be to be partially to blame for all of this," he said with a shrug, "nothing of interest here for you?"

Miri shrugged. "A while. I never knew expressionist art was such an in-depth field."

She spoke in such a polite and proper way, like a well-bred lady, that it was hard to tell if she was being sarcastic or not. As the newcomer introduced himself, she turned and regarded him with her full attention. She seemed to recognize that he was the owner of the collection.

"Miri Nimdok," she said, extending a hand. "I was hoping there would be something more… unique than antique weapons, scrolls, and paintings here. I like unusual things, stuff you wouldn’t find anywhere else."

Brandyn smiled at the comment on expressionist art. He leaned in with a smirk, "I never really cared to know."

This place had a lot of bad memories to Brandyn, the darkness that fell over him on his first encounter here, but with this many Jedi here, and the collection starting to be removed, he did not feel the same occlusion to the light within as he had once done.

"Greetings Miri," Brandyn said, dipping his head in an informal bow. He had adopted a more proper, noble lilt to his tone to match hers.

There was only one thing that really fit the description given. He was reticent to recommend it. His face struggled to hide this fact. "Well...there is a sarcophagus on the very top floor...it used to have a companion lightsaber, but that has already been removed. So no danger of ancient weapons that might dear to bore us to death," he said, allowing some levity to lighten his apprehension, "it is believed to be the resting place of some ancient Sith...but the runic engravings are of some unidentified language. It is certainly not the ancient Sith language. Perhaps this...item would be of more interest?"

With no handshake offered, Miri let her arm drop. Instead, Brandyn bowed. She mimicked the gesture, albeit not quite as well. Her prim airs were all imitation; she was not actually well-bred or trained to behave as an actual noble would have been. She was only pretending for the fun of it, out of admiration for the sophisticated.

She was immediately intrigued, raising a curious eyebrow. “My goodness. It certainly would be.” Dipping her head forward conspiratorially, her voice lowered in volume. “Will we be allowed on the topmost floor, or is it off limits to the researchers here today?

The conspiratorial tone was a surprisingly playful choice. Brandyn's smile was a non-performance now. He leant into the conspiracy game both physically and in tone.

"Well. They did say it was dangerous."

They had. And he had experience first hand. The danger had apparently abated considerably with the removal of the saber hilt that seemed to amplify the voice of whatever dark entity had impressed upon the sarcophagus.

"But I think we should be able to get up there, if you would follow me."

The corners of Miri’s lips curled upward in a smile. She liked a little danger, though it was rare that she found someone willing to indulge her guilty pleasure. Hopefully Brandyn would be true to his word...

Certainly,” she said, standing up from her seat. “Lead the way. I am eager to see this mysterious hidden curio.

A dramatic show of hands and 'pointy fingers' indicated the necessity to go that way. "If you will m'lady," Brandyn said to the curiously fascinating woman.

He guided her to the nearby elevator. As expected, there was very little in the way of safety railings. He had already made a joke about such things to others, so decided not to in this instance. They hadn't gone down particularly well.

The elevator was pretty efficient and soon they were moving up towards a slowly revealed hole in the ceiling. The elevator nestled perfectly into the gap created, putting them level with the upper floor. Brandyn hid a shudder as he remembered the voice in his head that pushed him to kill and take power. He had ignored it. But he had needed help. That tug was absent now. As was the mood lighting.

The room was brightly lit, with only the sarcophagus itself present in the vast room. It was odd to see it in this light. It was less ominous. Just a large clay jar with lothcat scratches for words on its sides.

"Well. Does this pique your interest a little more?"

Miri followed Brandyn to the lift, where they were carried upwards to a brightly lit room. The chamber was empty save for a single sarcophagus. She was surprised at how simple it looked, the shape reminiscent of a clay jar covered in primitive etchings. Despite its underwhelming appearance, her intrigue about it only deepened. The markings didn’t match any language or script she knew of, and the unassuming design stood out.

I am certainly left wanting to know more about it,” she answered, approaching the coffin. “Where did you find this? What is it made out of?

"The best guess we have had so far is a pre-Sith dark side cult. Or some isolated culture from the backside of nowhere," he said, noticeably staying back from the object, "the fact that it seems linked with a lightsaber indicates it has some connection with the Sith...so maybe the latter hypothesis? Or both?"

If it hadn't been for his previous experience with the object, he would have been far more inclined to dive head first into the discovery of its origins, and the dark secrets it held - only to vanquish them of course.

"It was found here. How it got here is still the subject of investigation. It seems to just be what it looks like...clay. Rather rudimentary. Do you recognize the writings?"

Unlike Brandyn, Miri had no sense of caution when it came to approaching the sarcophagus. She walked right up to it, tracing her fingertips over the scratched runes.

Where’s the lightsaber?” she asked, glancing back at him. Then turning forward to face the scratches, she shook her head. “It’s nothing I recognize, but then I’m no linguist.

For a licensed archaeologist, Miri was almost shockingly bad when it came to languages. She had to rely on the expertise of others whose depth of knowledge would’ve far outclassed hers anyway.

He glanced about, as if someone with a dark evil voice might be standing in the corner of the vast brightly lit room. He then approached the artifact slowly. Deception was the dark sides favourite toy, right? Couldn't be too careful.

"It is on its way back to Coruscant. I think. A storage vault kept by the Archivists of the New Jedi Order."

He reached out and touched the artifact, and found himself relieved that it held not magic sway over him. He let out an audible sigh.

"You are welcome to take pictures. Perhaps a fellow hobbyist such as yourself would know more,"
he said, making incorrect assumptions about the nature of her archaeological interests, "any help we could get would be great."

Why separate the two if they are connected?” she asked. It actually wasn’t uncommon to scatter artifacts discovered at the same site, but something in Brandyn’s tone or manner seemed to suggest there was some special significance to this particular divorce.

She took him up on his offer and snapped a few photos of the sarcophagus. “Are most of the other researchers here hobbyists, then?” she asked, lifting an eyebrow. But it didn’t seem to bother her much. “When you say it was found here, do you mean on this planet, or in this collection? Did you purchase or obtain it from someone else?

"Let's just say," Brandyn said calmly, but with an undeniable sense of foreboding in his tone, "one of the first Jedi in here was found to be hyper susceptible to whatever dark presence is linked to both of those objects. When together, their voice is amplified...apart....apparently nullified."

He walked around to the other side of the clay casket. His eyes took in the etchings, looking for something he recognized. "No. I believe all have degrees...of some such. Sorry, are you not? I assumed with you not knowing linguistics that maybe it was something of an interest instead of a study. I apologize."

Assuming. Dangerous as always.

"It was found here, in this collection. Where it came from and who found it there is still a matter of investigation. An investigation that I am supposed to be heading up. Progress is...slow. I came back today to look for some possible leads."

I see.” Miri’s touch against the scratches grew a little lighter, but she didn’t remove her hand completely.

She cast a sly glance Brandyn’s way. “I am a licensed archaeologist. I speak quite a few living languages, but I’m not an expert on dead languages. Given the number of dead languages in the galaxy, I don’t think any one person can be an expert on them all.

He provided some more background on the sarcophagus, though his answers didn’t shed much light on its origins. Luckily, he seemed just as interested in solving the mystery as she was. “And have you found any leads so far?” she asked. “Because it seems to me that lightsaber you separated from the sarcophagus to nullify its power may hold the key to learning more about it.” She could think of no other clues as to its history or purpose.

Unless, of course—did you ever open the sarcophagus to see what was inside?

Hands came up in defense. "Apologies," he said before muttering to himself, "knowing some dead languages seems like it would be useful."

He had scoured the datapad about the process taken regarding the sarcophagus. Other than the separation of saber and coffin, there really hadn't been much else take place. "This is my first time back in a while now. People are still working on the other items. This was being left for a Jedi Master to look over...after they look over the saber by itself. I am not sure what timeframe we have on this. Bringing the saber back...yeah...I am not keen on that personally."

A chill ran down his spine just thinking about the lid being removed. "Opening it? I mean...I guess...we could? We might need permission first," he said, looking for any excuse he could grab, "unless...you have clearance."

Please don't have clearance. Please don't have clearance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom